As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Played a game today with my GT list. Lost by two points because I drew unscoreable maelstrom cards two turns on the trot. Awsome cool, so glad they’re using maelstrom cards in a tournament setting (I’m not that’s awful).

After the game I can say Tsons ignoring the smite changes is real strong combined with their legion trait.

I’m actually considering taking multiple minimum units of rubrics simply because it’s effectively a 5 wound Sorcerer, who can cast smite on a 5+ at 24”, has an invuln, ignores -1 ap and has a bunch of -2ap shots. For 107 that’s actually really reasonable.

Having a strong core of Death Guard, I think any continued venture into Chaos will be Tsons.

They look great and they seem very good on the table.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Thousand-Sons seem like they would shore most of the DeathGuard weaknesses quite nicely.

In my groups meta we have a T-Sons player and his army almost feels directly opposite to my DeathGuard in terms of playstyle when ever we play each other.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Mostly it's that I'd like to field some infantry that actually have an impact... Plague Marines are not that, while thousand Sons Marines and Terminators both seem like they're worth putting on the table

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Is Battlescribe still the best electronic tool for list building?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Drop pods need to be able to come in anywhere turn 1 and be about 50 pts. You're basically paying (Cost of DP)/(Number of models inside) as a tax for DS wherever. Even at 5 PPM for that, it's really expensive. Especially considering basically the whole of SM infantry are overpriced as it is.

It would be nice if there was a reason to use Drop Pods again, between their point increase and the potential for no more turn 1 deepstriking they are not very useful at all right now outside of the novelty of seeing one on the board. I only have one, but toward the end of 7th ed I almost bought 3 more used ones to build a Steehl Rein army with. I instead used the money to buy three more Dreadnoughts. When 8th dropped I was so happy I had gone that route instead.

I picked up a Lucius Pattern Drop Pod the other day though, going to try and have it assembled by this weekend for some dreadnought deep striking shenanigans.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Drop pods need to be able to come in anywhere turn 1 and be about 50 pts. You're basically paying (Cost of DP)/(Number of models inside) as a tax for DS wherever. Even at 5 PPM for that, it's really expensive. Especially considering basically the whole of SM infantry are overpriced as it is.

It would be nice if there was a reason to use Drop Pods again, between their point increase and the potential for no more turn 1 deepstriking they are not very useful at all right now outside of the novelty of seeing one on the board. I only have one, but toward the end of 7th ed I almost bought 3 more used ones to build a Steehl Rein army with. I instead used the money to buy three more Dreadnoughts. When 8th dropped I was so happy I had gone that route instead.

I picked up a Lucius Pattern Drop Pod the other day though, going to try and have it assembled by this weekend for some dreadnought deep striking shenanigans.

Yea, I wish drop pods were useful. I have 2 and I've always wanted to put my entire Space Wolves army into drop pods.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Pretty much, yeah. GW are meant to be coming out with an official version at some point, but who knows when that'll happen.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Every time I use Battlescribe I get the urge to write something better, because it's UI is bad and it's slow...but sadly I don't think anything better exists. Maybe one of these day's when GW's in house tool supports match play.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh I know GW doesn't do a bits service anymore but several of my Falcon's turrets did not make it through the years and I don't want to buy whole kits just to replace them

I wish GW did different color acrylic tubes for Necrons. Gotta buy 3rd party for orange tubes. I wonder how they make them.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I have a stupid question, are the shoulder joints on the new Forgebane Armiger Warglaive the same size as on the Knight Warden?

(I thought it would be cheaper to buy a titan/imperial knight in bits, until I realized the pricey bit is the arms/shoulders :( )

akirasig.jpg
    edited April 2018
    @bobAkirafett

I don't know how large a full knight shoulder joint is, but here's the side of an armiger and the round bit that connects to it, with a 32mm skitarri ranger base for reference.

b1jhypnxypoh.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Stragint wrote: »
    I wish GW did different color acrylic tubes for Necrons. Gotta buy 3rd party for orange tubes. I wonder how they make them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y48fiILidIk
    Now to get the transparent look well I guess you have to kind the 3rd party

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Armigers are way smaller than knights, their shoulders are more Dreadnought sized.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yea, the acrylic tubes are what I want. Painting over the tubes looks kind of tacky on Necron Warriors.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

Yea, the acrylic tubes are what I want. Painting over the tubes looks kind of tacky on Necron Warriors.

My problem with them is that not all the Necron models use the acrylic tubes. I don't want some models with them and some without so I'd probably end up painting them all for uniformity.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg

My problem with them is that not all the Necron models use the acrylic tubes. I don't want some models with them and some without so I'd probably end up painting them all for uniformity.

Yea, I can see wanting them to have that uniform look. It's never bothered me. Especially since my army is gonna. E a whole mess of not uniform paint scheme. My Space Wolves are the same way. I bought a huge portion of it and the person had painted them and my painting is no where near as good. A portion of my Necrons are already painted so I figure I'll just have two or three paint schemes going.

I'll do probably cut out the tube bits in the current immortal models and put in acrylic tubes. I have 10 pewter immortals but 5 of them don't have the barrel end with the acrylic tubes anymore so I'll have to use plastic ones from my extra immortal stuff.

I just really like the acrylic tubes and it feels like such a waste to paint over them.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    My problem with them is that the tubes always have little bubbles inside. Spoils my immersion!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    My problem with them is that the tubes always have little bubbles inside. Spoils my immersion!

I remember a few years ago about someone selling lightsaber tubes for lego saying they had NO bubbles but wanted $$$ for them

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Every time I use Battlescribe I get the urge to write something better, because it's UI is bad and it's slow...but sadly I don't think anything better exists. Maybe one of these day's when GW's in house tool supports match play.

I have this same issue.

But, GW is going to do an official army builder app for 40k like they have for AoS. We just don't have a date yet.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I have this same issue.

But, GW is going to do an official army builder app for 40k like they have for AoS. We just don't have a date yet.

Supposedly the power level version is soon, I thought it was suppose to be April. For points? That is farther out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yeah. Not really sure why GW is pushing PL so hard. It's never going to be used by the majority of players because it lacks the granularity to create anything approaching a balanced match. It's also strange for them to push that direction when in other areas they seem to care more about balance than they ever have in the past.

I'm assuming in the case of the builder tool it's because the code framework was already in place to do things that way from building the AoS tool (since it's being built by the same guy)...but yeah, would be nice if they got the match play version out post haste.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Power Level is incredibly unbalanced. I've built plenty of Space Marine lists with BattleScribe where a 2,000 point army has a lower powerlevel than a 1,500 point army.

I get the concept behind it (a way to quickly and easily get an army on the table), but Power Level is only semi balanced at the extremely small/skirmish game level, and if you're already only looking at 4-500 points you might as well just make a list using points because it won't take you more than a couple of minutes anyway.

I play in a relaxed environment with cool dudes so it doesn't bother me if there is a 5-10 minute period where we're building a list when the game itself is going to take 2-3 hours to play anyway. This might not be everyone's situation though. I don't know what the solution is to games taking a long time to set up, but I'm pretty sure powerlevel isn't it.

BLCovers-Apr25-BloodofIaxCover1cs-331x500.jpg

That chaplain I think might not be a good guy.

latest?cb=20161119221817

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Saw this on Reddit.
    The silliest trick I've seen being discussed is for Chaos to use a "suicide Rhino" to get a turn 1 charge off.
    Move the Rhino forward.
    Cast Warptime on it.
    Fire its combi-plasma, and hope you roll a 1 (or 2, due to the -1 from it being a combi-weapon). Bonus if you can aim vs Alaitoc or other hard-to-hit targets.
    Jump out of the wreckage and get to charging.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    The Crassus Armored Assault Transport is back on Forge World's website!

I may have to somehow come up with that money before it disappears again. And I will always believe they brought it back because I emailed them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    The Crassus Armored Assault Transport is back on Forge World's website!

I may have to somehow come up with that money before it disappears again. And I will always believe they brought it back because I emailed them.

It's a pretty sweet looking model. I just looked at the rules out of curiosity and saw that it's capable of becoming a S8 T8 20 wound transport that holds 35 troops with four Lascannons that can shoot after advancing and also has Steel Behemoth and would only cost 280 points... holy crap.

It's a pretty sweet looking model. I just looked at the rules out of curiosity and saw that it's capable of becoming a S8 T8 20 wound transport that holds 35 troops with four Lascannons that can shoot after advancing and also has Steel Behemoth and would only cost 280 points... holy crap.
    That seems OP haha.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

That seems OP haha.

I mean this with all possible respect to them, but Forgeworld really doesn't give a fuck about balance.

Burnage wrote: »

I mean this with all possible respect to them, but Forgeworld really doesn't give a fuck about balance.
    My Leviathans seem mostly fair.

Mostly....

Bizazedo wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

My Leviathans seem mostly fair.

Mostly....

Most of the special dreads are pulled out of 30k which is more balanced on how they build out.

I still want a contemptor dread or two. And a leviathan with a butcher array.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    IMHO most things Forgeworld makes are very pretty and most things Forgeworld makes are very overpowered.

Honestly I just wish they made alternative models for GW units with no rules.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I don't think forgeword really makes any more overpowered things than are in standard 40k (especially after the FAQ/Chapter approved). If anything, the majority of their units are either overcosted and/or have poorly executed rules. Unlike codex units, FW doesnt really seem to have any design concept of faction synergy or stratagems. So when things get really broken, its usually because they didn't think about how something interacts with a stratagem or psychic power or faction trait. So far, pretty much all of those have been fixed though (malefic lords, fire raptors, fire-frenzy leviathans, etc)

website_header.jpg
    I feel more people get them for a look than for the rules
    As I saw that tech marine with the fancy backpack from the Badab book a few times in space marine armies

I kind of want the 30k Abbadon to run as Abbadon. But again I also holding out hope for a new sculpt. So the wait continues.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I just think the Crassus looks exactly like a giant Valhallan transport would look. I may never get to play with it, but it looks cool.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Do you have friends?

Would you rather you didn’t?

Then boy do I have a list for you!
    ++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [48 PL, 847pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: Malefic talon, Wings

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 107pts]
    . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
    . 4x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [64 PL, 1139pts] ++

+ HQ +

Exalted Sorcerer [7 PL, 121pts]: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Tzaangor Shaman [5 PL, 90pts]: Force stave

+ Fast Attack +

Tzaangor Enlightened [7 PL, 153pts]: Aviarch, 8x Enlightened, Fatecaster greatbows

Tzaangor Enlightened [7 PL, 153pts]: Aviarch, 8x Enlightened, Fatecaster greatbows

++ Total: [112 PL, 1986pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

edited April 2018
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Do you have friends?

Would you rather you didn’t?

Then boy do I have a list for you!
    ++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [48 PL, 847pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]

+ Troops +

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [64 PL, 1139pts] ++

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

++ Total: [112 PL, 1986pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

That.... actually looks like a lot of fun to play :lol:

Not against, for sure, but it'd be fun to field.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Can someone explain to me what the issue was with detachments prior to the big faq and what changes were made specifically to remedy them

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    So I played my first game of 8th edition! It was killpoints, and I got nearly tabled by the end of turn 2. I tried to take out his taloses with my Paladins+Apothecary+Paladin Ancient w/ Banner of Refining Flame+Brother-Captain, but I only dealt, like, 9 wounds in all to his unit.

Blew up a reaver, though!

Children's rights are human rights.