As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Doodmann Doodles and Maybe Makes Stuff?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Finished up the wheel.

mTqYQaCl.jpg

I have about 6 "things" at the moment. Gonna keep messing with the concept, maybe I could submit it to a local pop art gallery or something.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited March 2018
    S8iDwqcl.jpg

I think I leaned too hard on forcing weird perspectives, I might make the gun and hand a little bigger.
    Dat Booty doh.

Doodmann on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    I would say drawing out the whole figure might help. Some of the proportions feel a little weird.

edited April 2018
    I made a fun like avengers themed set this weekend, imgur betrayed me so all I have is a link to the album on there...is there a way to embed that?

https://imgur.com/a/iOvpV

Crits welcome.

Doodmann on
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Imgur has betrayed you, Doodmann.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    edited April 2018
    I also finished this poster last weekend. Yay productivity!

GtCUKEU.jpg

Doodmann on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Man, some really abysmal sandwiches could come out of that, but I do love it. I dont think "sushi" is a sandwich ingredient though?

Iruka wrote: »
    Man, some really abysmal sandwiches could come out of that, but I do love it. I dont think "sushi" is a sandwich ingredient though?

Thats the idea. I'm hoping people eventually send me some sandwiches they made.

On the sushi, I wanted to find a way to say raw fish without sounding too nasty. You could totally accidentally make a poke sandwich like this.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sashimi?

Anyway, Its a great idea, well suited for interaction.

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I would kind of hate to roll critical success on the bread :lol:

I made a new thing! I'm super stoked because it's for an actually screening event. I also have a variant that got rejected but I kinda like.

KYr4ih5h.jpg

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    So if you roll 6 critical failures some how you just get no sandwich? Haha that's awesome.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    So if you roll 6 critical failures some how you just get no sandwich? Haha that's awesome.

I think you just get plain lettuce. Which is pretty much the same as no sandwich.

I'm supposed to submit this tomorrow, I'll probably add some more detailing tonight but I'd love to get some feedback:

iUCCmBkl.jpg

New poster, this is becoming a regular thing!

jefeOHu.jpg

Working on my next thing. I love (digital) oils.

dUnOICLl.jpg

I'm realizing he has a much more square head/face, ans smaller eyes than I've given him. He also probably need a little less chin.

My goal is to limit the color palette as much as possible so I might add some purple in the shadows. It's still going to end up being 8 colors or so, but that's painting.

I have decided to move on from NPH, I think I lost his nose a bit, but I like the direction it's going in general.

K2IO8vTl.jpg

Feeling better about these two, I'll probably move onto Rico today. The changes are subtle but make a different I hope.

rnrlm5Tl.jpg

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    So while I like the way this is looking generally, I didn’t recognize it as being from Starship Troopers and thus had no idea that was NPH until you said so. There are a couple of things I think you could change with fairly minor rework that would make a big difference: pull his ear down, then pull all his features down, angle his jawline up (you can see in the ref that the bone is not quite the outline), and sharpen up his nose and chin.

tb0gbutd1b7k.jpeg

And in for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. The main things with Richards are that her nose seems to have much more of a curve into her brow, which is more vertical and less protruding, and her cheekbones and jawline need some adjusting. Also, that ear.

70kl4acf4mwy.jpeg

I’m wondering now if you are going for older versions of them; that would be cool, too.

edited July 2018
    Thanks for the paint overs!

Richards and NPH both look pretty alien when you start taking it apart. Dear god look at her upper lip! The forehead eyebrow thing is partially an angle thing but it's a good point.

I think I was falling into "safe" proportions and stuff and throwing off their looks. I was hoping to get a sharper chin on both of them with shading but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Just messing around in the liquify tool, but I think this is a little closer? Although richards looks almost charicaturish now.

xSwBGpHl.jpg

Doodmann on
    I'm going to have a good gif by the time I'm done.

cZ5HYxcl.jpg

After futzing around with my computer yesterday and messing with photoshop a half dozen times my whole brush template was lost...so I spent entirely too long tonight trying to find something similar.

I wanted to try and give each of them a different color palette, not sure if its working for rico, I might add in some more brown as his shadow color.

DLIIKr6l.jpg

I think I need to squish all of NPH's face, do something to Richard's nose and probably ad more blue to Dien's eyes, but I'm getting closer. I like the dark one better as a poster design but I think the yellow one feels more right for the movie and what I was going for.

J7OFygol.jpgOUByu9Ll.jpg

Ok, I think I'm calling it done.

0jpqulkl.jpg

edited August 2018
    Well, I have a concept I like but I don't know how to make it work.

UpuBmxrl.jpg

Doodmann on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Needs more Bill Paxton in convertible Corvette.

edited August 2018
    What is it about that idea you like? It's a memorable movie moment, but I'm not sure what makes it a good idea for a movie poster. Unless I'm missing something.

What I would try to do is get rid of the figures. Zoom in on the stairs so it makes a strong diagonal. And find some way to incorporate the text into the stairs, or even completely make the stairs out of the text it self. That way its the gun bouncing off the text, just like it was bouncing off the stairs.

Sublimus on
    With the figures I was kind of going for a Romeo and Juliet balcony thing amid the chaos of the gun firing wildly with sillouttes of a couple guys getting hit.

I think what was having trouble with was the framing and what to do with the other half of the space.

I like your idea of just focusing on the gun, is it all right if I try that?

Ah! I see the Romeo and Juliet vibe now! Wasn't clear to me, maybe it will be to others though!

And yeah, dude! Feel free!

(Just realized this whole post is in exclamation marks, so here is one with a period.)

edited September 2018
    So I pushed it in and added some detail.

Sht7mVYl.jpg

I still might scrap the whole concept and do an oil painting of the Uzi on a stair... I'm just worried about how long that might take.

Doodmann on
    So I uh, tried something different this evening.

Is this NSFW?

onJhAQ0l.jpg

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    I think rather than have her head show an explosion, it should BE an explosion. Just my opinion. I like the other one too, but this one definitely feels more representative of the movie as a whole. It's a ridiculous over the top action film with flimsy characterization (on purpose, for comedic effect) and so so many explosions. The poster should just be an explosion with other explosions coming out of it and, at the center of it, Arnold's silhouette, gun over his shoulder, strolling without a care in the world.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    There's Bill Paxton! Sold!

edit: and personally, the part where the terrorist is filming and running out of batteries is quite iconic in my mind, you could even put the low battery camera GUI around the outside of a poster, and I'd love it even more. IMHO

davidsdurions on
    There's Bill Paxton! Sold!

edit: and personally, the part where the terrorist is filming and running out of batteries is quite iconic in my mind, you could even put the low battery camera GUI around the outside of a poster, and I'd love it even more. IMHO

I will try to add that before sending my two ideas off to the guy. I'm honestly kind of over it because in re-watching I don't really like the movie anymore. :/

Yeah, it's much better in my 12 year old memory certainly.

So this ended up going in a bit of a different direction, but I'm happy with how it turned out:

QgjjILhl.jpg

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    i would get rid of the black outlines on the shapes, and have the background just be a gradient or just one plain color, casue the explosion thing is making it too busy, and maybe just cut out some of the elements, like the car just have like the front of it. its looking kind too centered, just have the cockpit and hood i think, but yah in general just vary the size of the shapes a bit, like the girl in the stairs is the midground, the little protraits could be more in the foreground and elevators way in the back.

SeveredHead on
    My current masterpiece in progress:

2018-12-20.jpg

It (whatever that may be) is glorious.