As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I honestly think that teaching her sign and having Wiggles in the background helped with communicating.

But then, so did me being home with her the first year and then into daycare.

She's often told to use her words when she starts something. And I don't give her what she wants until she does.

I truly think it's saved us heaps of aggravation and tantrums. I honestly can't remember a time when she hasn't been able to get her needs across.

I'm sure there was one, but I don't remember.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Our youngest is a talker and doer. I was in the bathroom when I heard a chair being scooted across the floor. I finished up, walked into the kitchen, and beheld our three year old standing on top of the fridge trying to get his vitamins out of the cabinet above it. His response was "Oh, dad, you forgot my vitamins. I get them."

He also likes to get his lightsaber and inform me that he is Kylo Ren and I am Han Solo. That really cant be a good omen.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    OH and for those with the Endless Apps, I did notice that they also had an Endless Spanish as well.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mWQzkpE4zWVFBrOrNpdf7hRT2lZ4VMOL

If you or someone you know is named nancy and has a birthday coming up... I've got you covered!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Abigail translated her first ever Chinese character today!

w1l4oa33bnzn.jpg

Apparently, this is "7K". :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Holy shit. I'm sitting at work and my work phone rings, I recognize my wife's number and answer it.

"Yes dear"
    "Do you know what YOUR SON (three year old) just tried to do?!?!"
    "This should be good"
    "He was in the kitchen with the carton of eggs, butter, salt, pepper, frying pan, spatula, fork, and bowl all laid out on the counter, stirring four busted eggs (shells and all!) in the bowl, and was about to heat the skillet!!!"
    "*Giggle giggle snort snort* That's definitely my son. Did he ask you for eggs?"
    "Yes, and I told him I would make them after I finished folding laundry, but apparently that isn't good enough for him"
    "*laughing intensifies* You do fold slow, dear."
    " I just can't. I Just can't even with you or your damn kids!"
    "Love you dear. I'll talk to our son when I get home"
    "Damn right you'll talk to your son when you get home".

I've been laughing for the last 20 minutes or so.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Signing is the best.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    My 5 year old is going through a phase where he just cannot. Stop. Talking. Constant questions over and over. Often immediately after the other.

It's driving me bonkers.

Oh my 4yo does that and I think that’s the best. I’m either teaching her something which is great or I tell her something totally nonsensical and insane and keep going until she realizes I’m not being serious.

I somehow managed to get all three of my kids (6 yr old and twin 4 yr olds) completely hooked on Star Wars. They've never watched an actual movie, but they've read several kids books. We have these two 5 Minute Star Wars Stories books that they just love.

And my oldest was introduced to a The Final Countdown remix of the Battle of Geonosis. There was a point a couple of weeks ago where all three of them were requesting/demanding to watch The Final Countdown fight over and over and over again.

I've filled in a lot of the gaps, so I get the constant questions of "Who killed the Emperor?", "Who killed Darth Vader?", "Who killed Darth Maul?", "Who killed Mace Windu?", "Are all the Battle Droids dead?", "Who would win, Yoda or Kylo Ren?", "Who destroyed the Death Star?"... the someone constant talk about killing and death freaked my wife out a bit, and the Star Wars books have been banned for a little while.

No matter how many times I answer the questions, they keep asking them. Over and over again.

We did convince my older son's After Care program to have a May the 4th celebration. They're going to watch the Yoda Chronicles, or whatever they're called. This is the older son who was Kylo Ren for Halloween, and who runs around the basement with Kylo's lightsaber. He even puts on the robe and mask sometimes. That son can also sing most of the lyrics to The Final Countdown, and is convinced it is a "Star Wars song".

The younger kids ask me to sing "the Star Wars song", and I've taken to humming The Imperial March for them.

• Options
    My wife had a membrane sweep and is having contractions. Nothing painful yet, but there. We're thinking labor is happening soon™.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Selner wrote: »
    And my oldest was introduced to a The Final Countdown remix of the Battle of Geonosis. There was a point a couple of weeks ago where all three of them were requesting/demanding to watch The Final Countdown fight over and over and over again.

Have you shown them the various Bad Lip Reading star wars songs?

djmitchella on
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My wife had a membrane sweep and is having contractions. Nothing painful yet, but there. We're thinking labor is happening soon™.

Let the sleepless nights intensify!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover holy shit is that Gene Coulon?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

My four year old's project at school.. she didn't write it, but dictated it to a teacher to write.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    "MNC Dover" holy shit is that Gene Coulon?

Nope, that's Juanita Beach Park. Looks extremely similar. Here's a video if you don't mind an obnoxious narrator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgTIxUHIGU0

So beautiful!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    "MNC Dover" holy shit is that Gene Coulon?

Nope, that's Juanita Beach Park. Looks extremely similar. Here's a video if you don't mind an obnoxious narrator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgTIxUHIGU0

So beautiful!

Ah ok I see it now.

I guess since it's the kids thread I was getting flashbacks to my childhood.
    I spent most days of my summers at Coulon.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    After over six months of begging from my daughter, there was finally an opening for her at preschool. Her enthusiasm is the only thing that kept the tears from flowing from mom and dad.

GAnzrdY.jpg

JY95S7T.jpg

4O3sobb.jpg

• Options
    Oh what a cutie! Well done, mum and dad!

I got emotional when Ellie moved up to the 2 year old room. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when she turns five.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh and that second picture where it looks like she is grimacing, it’s just windy. We live in the wind tunnel of the continent.

• Options
    10:30pm PST.
    Wife still having contractions, but not overly painful or close together.
    She's moving around constantly trying to get the baby out.
    Multiple browser tabs are open and every wive's tale for getting baby out being researched.
    We want kiddo out now plz.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz Anya and Niko have been taking turns to take the moon stuffie to bed.

Anya has renamed it Baby Moon; apparently it's now the kid of Unikitty and Party Hat, because it's round and baby-like.

But Niko's own name for it is my favourite. He's called it Oh No. So I'll hear, 'Oh No, where have you gone? Oh No, you fell off the bed!' and it's hilarious in his toddler voice.

• Options
    Also, Niko has a bad cold

and fell down the stairs this afternoon

and fell out of bed this evening

Luckily his super supple toddler joints seem to have kept everything intact, but sheesh, poor kid's shed a lot of tears today and it's been awful to witness

OH BUT...

He had a fully dry day today! With underwear on!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Janson wrote: »
    @DaMoonRulz Anya and Niko have been taking turns to take the moon stuffie to bed.

Anya has renamed it Baby Moon; apparently it's now the kid of Unikitty and Party Hat, because it's round and baby-like.

But Niko's own name for it is my favourite. He's called it Oh No. So I'll hear, 'Oh No, where have you gone? Oh No, you fell off the bed!' and it's hilarious in his toddler voice.

YAKUZA-6_-The-Song-of-Life_20180307232600.jpg

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    10:30pm PST.
    Wife still having contractions, but not overly painful or close together.
    She's moving around constantly trying to get the baby out.
    Multiple browser tabs are open and every wive's tale for getting baby out being researched.
    We want kiddo out now plz.

All of them? *Nudge nudge, wink wink*

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    so since I last popped by here, I have a child now (hooray, child!) and he is very much the best. his name is wilder and he likes to pee on me

having said child, though, has immediately opened the door to several co-workers warning me about vaccinating him according to the schedule laid out by "most doctors" because it is "too fast," autism, etc. I've fairly emphatically dismissed these convos (from people who are claiming to not be anti-vaxx, but) but I also have not made any effort to follow any developments in this realm because I thought I was fairly aware of my own feelings on what was necessary and didn't expect to need to revisit it (I'm going to get him the vaccines his doctors say to, if that's unclear).

basically: am I good to assume this is just a new strain of anti-vaxx type talk?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    so since I last popped by here, I have a child now (hooray, child!) and he is very much the best. his name is wilder and he likes to pee on me

having said child, though, has immediately opened the door to several co-workers warning me about vaccinating him according to the schedule laid out by "most doctors" because it is "too fast," autism, etc. I've fairly emphatically dismissed these convos (from people who are claiming to not be anti-vaxx, but) but I also have not made any effort to follow any developments in this realm because I thought I was fairly aware of my own feelings on what was necessary and didn't expect to need to revisit it (I'm going to get him the vaccines his doctors say to, if that's unclear).

basically: am I good to assume this is just a new strain of anti-vaxx type talk?

Yes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Don't let them get in your head. The modern anti-vaxx movement is based on a wave of lies and hysteria, and rampant profiteering by unscrupulous doctors riding that wave. Anyone recommending against the approved vaccination schedule is an anti-vaxxer, whether they call themselves that or not.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yes, in fact there's been several studies in recent years that have debunked that "delayed vaccine" garbage.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    All delayed vaccines are going to do for you is make it a hassle because you have to book more doctors' appointments.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    My mom babysat last night so we could see avengers. My wife never wants to have anyone night-sit Isaac because stuff always goes wrong.

We left at 6:30, got back at 10pm. She broke his nightlight/music, didn't get his teeth brushed, and he had an accident in bed (his first ever after months of no problems) because she didn't remind him to go potty before bed(and there was a cup of water in his bed room).

I know it's not REALLY a big deal, and that the price of going out is that some things won't get done the way you want them too but...like...it's going to be another 6 months before my wife feels comfortable going out on a weeknight again.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Contractions stopped last night. We’re just gonna ain’t on him to decide I guess.

Also, fuck anti-vaxx people.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    My mom babysat last night so we could see avengers. My wife never wants to have anyone night-sit Isaac because stuff always goes wrong.

We left at 6:30, got back at 10pm. She broke his nightlight/music, didn't get his teeth brushed, and he had an accident in bed (his first ever after months of no problems) because she didn't remind him to go potty before bed(and there was a cup of water in his bed room).

I know it's not REALLY a big deal, and that the price of going out is that some things won't get done the way you want them too but...like...it's going to be another 6 months before my wife feels comfortable going out on a weeknight again.

Everything has a price, you now know the price of a few hours freedom.

• Options
    We had our first bad public experience with our daughter. We went to this southern-style fried chicken place called Ezell's. Since the wife has GD, it's our go-to place to eat often visiting once a week. The staff knows us well and loves Abigail. Typically, I let her play once she's done eating.

Usually, she just hangs out near the entrance and dances or plays. 90% of the time, she's out of the way and it's no big deal. Well last night, there was a older couple there (mid 60s or so) and I started to notice that the wife shook her head a bit as she had to take one step to go around Abigail.

I'm pretty aware of my surroundings at all times, too much retail in my life, and she was on my radar. After that, any time Abigail jumped up and down or spun in place, you know typical 2-year old shit, the lady rolled her eyes, sighed, or made whispering comments under her breath.

Eventually Abigail decided to sing "Happy and you know it". When she got to the "Shout hooray!" part, she says it in a super cute, albeit admittedly loud, way. That's when the lady had enough and tells me from across a few tables, "That's enough. She's too loud." And her husband chimes in, "Yea, she needs to use her inside voice."

It took everything in me to not go off on them. Look, I get it. She was somewhat in the way and a bit loud, but you're in a fucking public fried chicken place, not a 4-star restaurant. Nobody else had a problem with her, in fact everyone was just smiling the whole time at her free entertainment.

The wife got stressed about it, so I just calmed Abigail down and kept her sitting until the fuckers left. I cleared off the table and went to the trash can. A guy came over to me and said, "I don't know what was wrong with those people. Your daughter is adorable and her singing was great." I smiled and thanked him. Proof it wasn't her, but them.

I don't want anyone to think I'd let her act this way in every environment. I watch my kid and understand the surroundings. This one was fine for her to play in and be a 2-year old. We've been going there weekly for 6 months at least and it's just what she does. I guess I'm lucky this was our first stuff, old-person encounter in 2.5 years.

Okay, rant over. Not gonna let old fuddy-duddy's ruin my weekend.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Eh, screw 'em.

other thoughts:
    How close and under control you keep your kids is really situational but even if someone have a problem with what someone else is doing, don't be bitchy about it and definitely don't yell at the kid or the parents. You don't know their circumstances and they might just really have needed to get out of the house and eat something someone else cooked.

I will say, having experienced it from both sides, if you're at a place with waiters I FEEL LIKE you should probably try to keep your kids relatively quiet and calm and near you. If they can't be cool in that environment then just go someplace more casual man, it isn't fair to them to try to keep them under control if they can't be and it isn't fair to everyone else to cause a scene. We've definitely had times that we were going to eat out and the kids weren't having it and we got drive-through takeout and ate it sitting in the backyard while the kids tore around and it was better for everyone.

• Options
    That's weird for an old couple to have a problem with a young child. If anything any interaction I've ever had out in about where my son is a bit more extrovert its the old people that enjoy seeing someone young. I'd figure a young couple would have more of an issue.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That's weird for an old couple to have a problem with a young child. If anything any interaction I've ever had out in about where my son is a bit more extrovert its the old people that enjoy seeing someone young. I'd figure a young couple would have more of an issue.

Yeah it's usually arseholes like me wishing energetic/noisy kids would keep it down, not old people.

• Options
    I had an awful experience on a train in England (and elsewhere!) with old people. Elder women especially, sadly.

For example, it was a woman who pushed past Anya on a flight of stairs once, causing her to fall. And an older woman who swung a gate back in Anya’s face. (Both of those happened at a KIDS zoo so kids were everywhere!)

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Usually kids being normal kids is fine in a public place. Those two old farts probably lead miserable existences, or were extremely dictatorial with their little ones (if they had any).

I was in Autozone and a little tike, maybe two years old, escaped when his Dad was checking one of the parts books. Little one scampered up, pulled on my pant leg and said hi. I naturally smiled and said Hi back. His dad noticed and apologized, and I, being a dad, let him know I have two sons of mine so I know how it goes. Cool situation, everyone was happy at the end of said encounter, kid doing normal kid stuff that likely would have upset your two old grumps.

Then there is the kids being normal kids with asshole parents type situations. I'm standing around looking at a magazine, Fangoria to be specific, and a little toddler comes hauling ass out of nowhere and runs right into my leg, knocking himself down. Said little toddlers mom shoots me the nastiest of mean muggings, acting like its my fault for standing there checking out a magazine in her preciouses flight path. I harbor no ill will toward the kid because kids do that shit, but the mom can go fuck herself.

Then you have those little demon tyrants at Walmart who are throwing cans of food and going on massive screaming fits because they were told no. Yeah, that shit isn't ok. Your kid, and I don't give one single fuck what may or may not be wrong with them, should not be hitting people, spitting on people, or telling people walking past to "eat shit". Them little brats, and their parents, yeah, I'll judge them plenty.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Contractions stopped last night. We’re just gonna ain’t on him to decide I guess.

Also, fuck anti-vaxx people.

yea our last one we went to the hospital with contractions ready to go, and then he changed his mind. contractions then continued off and on for like a week and a half before having membranes swept. things started that night. but it was a sucky week.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I had contractions stop with Niko, too. I was 41 weeks 1 day at that time and just wanted to cry!

• Options
    Having been to that chicken chain before, noisy kids is the least of your problem.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.