As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - A Pan-Dimensional Shuriken

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - A Pan-Dimensional Shuriken

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    I'm watching the movie in about 5 hours, and I'll be very disappointed if this is not an actual spoiler.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I wouldnt be surprised, the Infinity Stones have a way of showing up in the most ridiculous places. I'm pretty sure I remember them finding one at a yard sale once.

• sawellssawells Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or is that one seriously Omin Dran-looking Thanos?

Twitter: @EssayWells
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Poor Hawk Guy, just can't catch a break.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised, the Infinity Stones have a way of showing up in the most ridiculous places. I'm pretty sure I remember them finding one at a yard sale once.

I thought I had, too, once. But it was just a crummy Arkenstone.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Could be worse

Could be stuck in the DC Dark Cinematic Universe!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The stone being in one of those little sample cups is a good touch

steam_sig.png
  • FunPoliceFunPolice Registered User new member
    halo

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Not surprising. Cracker Jack was including them as toys for a while in the 60s. They still turn up on Antiques Roadshow from time to time. I've been using a Space Stone to keep my closet door from banging into the wall since we moved into our house.

• vanner11vanner11 Registered User regular
    You guys need to make a Halo Online strip STAT! Epic history-making vidya gaem mod > Shitty Marvel movies.

edited April 2018
    Today's comic was good; today's newspost was great.

(Speaking as someone who once lost his cat, found that about a million other cats look extremely similar, then getting a call from a house one block over about 5 weeks after it was lost, saying that they thought they had my cat and they did.)

dennis on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    vanner11 wrote: »
    You guys need to make a Halo Online strip STAT! Epic history-making vidya gaem mod > Shitty Marvel movies.

I.....I think Infinity War might be bigger news than a Halo Mod played by 8,000 people.

Just maybe.

• vanner11vanner11 Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I must be confused. I thought PA was about teh vidyas, but apparently now we only report on Disney properties.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Today's comic was good; today's newspost was great.

(Speaking as someone who once lost his cat, found that about a million other cats look extremely similar, then getting a call from a house one block over about 5 weeks after it was lost, saying that they thought they had my cat and they did.)

As someone who is still missing his cat, albeit has come close to catching her again if not for a trap failing to set properly due to an abnormally late snowfall keeping the ground frozen, and has assisted others with what I've learned from the process (including once catching someone's lost dog while doing a tracking for my cat) I feel it is important to point out that there are tracking dogs and handlers that specialize in tracking down lost pets. It's an invaluable service available that most people are not aware of.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I must be confused. I thought PA was about teh vidyas, but apparently now we only report on Disney properties.

The 5 prior comics were about non-Disney video games.

steam_sig.png
  • JackJack Registered User regular
    You know, in the Ultimate Marvel Universe one of the Infinity Gems was actually inside Tony Stark's brain. He thought it was a brain tumour. The Ultimate Infinity Gems had different rules, though, and they weren't ancient artefacts but things that spontaneously came into existence in places/moments of great significance.

• PyrianPyrian Registered User regular

The 5 prior comics were about non-Disney video games.
    And the one before that was about yahoo e-mail, lol.

It's about geek stuff in general and has been since the first zombie comic in 1999, so I dont get why this is a shock to you.

It's about geek stuff in general and has been since the first zombie comic in 1999, so I dont get why this is a shock to you.

Even more than that, they've said several times it's about whatever they are interested in/talking about right now. And it turns out people change over time.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Even more than that, they've said several times it's about whatever they are interested in/talking about right now. And it turns out people change over time.
    When people are sufficiently worked up about an issue, rationality goes out the window. In this case it seems to be dislike about "Disney properties" causing disregard for the PA's history, both recent as Tofystedeth pointed out, and ancient as Sadgasm did, and memory loss of their own past perception as they didn't seem to have any issue over the past year with the other comics that weren't about "teh vidyas", though they may claim to now because we have pointed it out.

• TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    amazing post. should be a book or in a book.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Thank goodness PA doesn't just focus on video games. The strip would get annoying after awhile plus we'd miss out on amazing stuff like Lookouts.

Thank goodness PA doesn't just focus on video games. The strip would get annoying after awhile plus we'd miss out on amazing stuff like Lookouts.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the non-PA stuff, but I'd rather they get some variety for themselves that way than get sick of doing the comic alltogether. I mean, they've been doing this for 20 years now, its gotta get stale for them on occasion

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the non-PA stuff, but I'd rather they get some variety for themselves that way than get sick of doing the comic alltogether. I mean, they've been doing this for 20 years now, its gotta get stale for them on occasion

Yeah. I know some of the side stuff they do isn't for everyone and that's OK. I've enjoyed watching them grow as people, artist and writer. They've both provided me with a lot of inspiration and for that I'm grateful.

Speaking of grateful-I'm grateful they found their friend. Plus it's nice to know Jeremy's gotten over his fear of cats.
    :)

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Tycho wrote:
    I want to assure you that everything I’m about to tell you is true.

I.
    Brenna advocated very hard to secure a farm cat. I said no. The last time she went this hard was when she told me we were having another baby. She didn’t mean she was pregnant: she meant that she was going to get pregnant. I said no; I also have a daughter now. I didn’t win that one. I was wrong this time, too; Hercule Poirot Holkins has reddish orange hair like everybody else in my family. I went through the trouble of making a little hollow in my life where this creature might live. So the fact that he’s been missing is unpleasant, but there’s something else. It makes me feel that I’ve failed, somehow, by letting him in.

II.
    Brenna has been walking the path she took when she last saw Herky every day, in the full knowledge that she will never see the cat again which is sheathed by a second knowledge that if she doesn’t undertake this profoundly useless ritual gesture she will feel as though she has failed him twice. I have tried on many occasions to tell her that we are talking about a cat. Not to minimize the suffering: to emphasize that we are discussing the whereabouts of a deeply mercurial species and that their barely contained chaos means that its behavior in no way accrues to her. It does not help.

III.
    She is walking this path again, but at least there is a young crow keeping her company. He’s making a weird sound, it’s not all caws with these fellows, it’s closer to something like a long chirp or a kitten’s meow. It’s always flying a little ahead of her. When she passes the mouth of an alley, it didn’t fly forward anymore; it just waits there. She heads into the alley and it resumes their previous game, flying forward to the next invisible waypoint along some ley line only cool crows know. About halfway through it, she notices a couple small bowls in a driveway. They were clearly somebody’s regular dishes. The kind you’d put out if you, yourself, did not own a cat and yet wished to sustain one. The dog avails itself of the water dish, and seeing these bowls Brenna begins to call for Herky.

A guy comes out onto his porch overlooking the alley. “Hey,” he says. “Did you lose an orange cat?” He’d been feeding one. Brenna gave him her number, and he said he’d call if the cat returned.

IV.
    When I got home from work yesterday, Brenna wanted to go on a walk as a family, but I had a sense I knew where this walk was headed. We went to the alley she had told me about, and described her encounter with the crow. I indicated that I have a strict no mystical horseshit policy, but that it was very interesting that she has tattoos of Huginn and Muninn and that was a novel overlap. She showed me the bowls, now empty. In the next backyard of the very next house, we saw an orange cat. It was not Herky. Nor was the second cat we saw. There were two orange cats next door to a man who had been feeding an orange cat. In a very, very brief span of time the world had gone from one extreme to another.

V.
    We were now much less excited about a man calling us about his neighbor cats. So when he called, we didn’t even bring the kids; we just walked the couple blocks up the hill and around the fence. Herky was in the front yard, surrounded by four or five neighbor kids. They’d all taken turns feeding him and playing with him and in many ways he had become theirs and might have remained so.

VI.
    You live in a world where a magic crows help people find their cats. The end.

(CW)TB out.

Edith Upwards on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tony Stark got a brain tumor once. They opened up his skull; turns out it was actually an Infinity Stone.

That isn't a joke. Comics are weird.

H9f4bVe.png
  • v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Tony Stark got a brain tumor once. They opened up his skull; turns out it was actually an Infinity Stone.

That isn't a joke. Comics are weird.

As others have noted, that was the Ultimate Comics Universe. The Ultimate line in general was decidedly a mixed bag. There is some very good stuff (the introduction of Miles Morales). And some bad stuff (A version of the Fantastic Four so reviled they could only salvage it by turning Reed into a Super Villain.)

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    If the Ultimate Infinity Stones just showed up at areas of historical significance like the Ruins in Civilization V, then I think the events of this comic are perfectly reasonable.

P.S.: If this is true, I would also surmise that an Infinity Stone would *not* appear at the release of Halo Online.

P.P.S.: I am ashamed that my phone wants to suggest the word Scarf, capitalized, every time I type Infinity.

RatherDashing89 on
  • shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    @EDITH UPWARDS
    Thanks for quoting that it was a good read. Glad they found their cat. I've lost pets more times than I can count so I know the feeling.