As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what the issue was with detachments prior to the big faq and what changes were made specifically to remedy them

Before a detachment could be made with the only common keywords being "imperium", "aeldari", "ynnari", or "chaos". This let someone take all of the best (or cheapest) stuff from several factions and still take 2 more detachments for whenever they wanted or needed. This also put monofactions (like tau, nids, or orks) at a disadvantage since they were stuck. Codexs coming out helped somewhat; most of the best bonuses required your detachment to be from one source, but sometimes mixing gave you better stuff then bonuses.

Now pretty much all the big keywords (what i listed above) can't be used to make a single detachment (they have to be broken into individual ones).

Elaro wrote: »
    So I played my first game of 8th edition! It was killpoints, and I got nearly tabled by the end of turn 2. I tried to take out his taloses with my Paladins+Apothecary+Paladin Ancient w/ Banner of Refining Flame+Brother-Captain, but I only dealt, like, 9 wounds in all to his unit.

Blew up a reaver, though!

Taloses (tali?) are really meaty, and the rest of the codex does a great job of being able to hold stuff in place till the big gribblies get into melee. Talos are really hard to take down efficiently too. They (and grotesques) are a good mix of high toughness, decent invuln, and good wound pool.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    novaspike wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what the issue was with detachments prior to the big faq and what changes were made specifically to remedy them

Before a detachment could be made with the only common keywords being "imperium", "aeldari", "ynnari", or "chaos". This let someone take all of the best (or cheapest) stuff from several factions and still take 2 more detachments for whenever they wanted or needed. This also put monofactions (like tau, nids, or orks) at a disadvantage since they were stuck. Codexs coming out helped somewhat; most of the best bonuses required your detachment to be from one source, but sometimes mixing gave you better stuff then bonuses.

Now pretty much all the big keywords (what i listed above) can't be used to make a single detachment (they have to be broken into individual ones).

It's worth noting that this rule (Battle Brothers) and the new deep strike rule (which are the two most controversial changes) are currently only beta rules, so they may (hopefully will) change, or be added to the "GW suggested event rules" like the datasheet limits currently are instead of the general rules.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

It wasn't giant problem except in more extreme cases. But you could mix guard, SM, and all other imperials into a single detachment and still get the CP as they all shared the Imperium keyword. Same for Chaos. Also a bit for Eldar of all flavors.

This allowed for some really powerful builds that abused the rules. Now you can't have units based just on the keywords Aeldari, Chaos, or Imperium in a single detachment and have it be "battle forged" and get CP. Instead you have a guard detachment with just guard, a SM detachment with just SM, and so on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Honestly most lists were already like that, the abuse of as mor edge cases (assassins + Celestine).

It is however a very forward thinking change. Imperium, chaos and eldar are the biggest factions, but they are also the factions most likely to get additional sub factions or units and therefore have the highest chances of some degenerate combo appearing. This knocks that on the head before it becomes a problem.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    My issue is that I like the deep strike changes and I really like the 3 unit limit (although our Guard player has already realized he can squadron his tanks up), but I am also biased as I play Death Guard and Necrons....and Necrons are really only hurt by the deep strike change with the Monolith.

And they have a ton of other toys to get around it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    OK that's what I thought, thanks guys.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Eldar scenery and Necromunda bounty hunter gang rules incoming

WDMayPreview-Apr26-WWGate4d.jpg
    WDMayPreview-Apr26-SpreadsP108-109ez.jpg

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/04/27/may-white-dwarf-preview-27-aprgw-homepage-post-2/

That...is a giant gate.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I really, really like individual character units like those bounty hunters. Honestly I wish GW would just straight up release a sub-game that is Corvus Belli's Infinity with Warhammer 40k units and characters. Maybe Kill Team can be it.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Wasn’t Inquisitor that?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Maybe the new killteam or maybe a Necromunda expansion when they're done with the base gangs?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    So I played my first game of 8th edition! It was killpoints, and I got nearly tabled by the end of turn 2. I tried to take out his taloses with my Paladins+Apothecary+Paladin Ancient w/ Banner of Refining Flame+Brother-Captain, but I only dealt, like, 9 wounds in all to his unit.

Blew up a reaver, though!

Taloses (tali?) are really meaty, and the rest of the codex does a great job of being able to hold stuff in place till the big gribblies get into melee. Talos are really hard to take down efficiently too. They (and grotesques) are a good mix of high toughness, decent invuln, and good wound pool.

Something to really watch out for are Cronos. They're super fucking rare, but the Codex has turned them into complete damage sponges - they're 65 points for a unit that can have T7, W7, 3+/4++ saves and multiple ways to regenerate wounds. They don't do a whole lot in terms of offense but they're exceptionally good at taking up space.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    That...is a giant gate.

From the leaks GW had shown, I’d sort of been hoping for some new Eldar models rather than this gate (nice as it is).

PSN Fleety2009
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    That...is a giant gate.

From the leaks GW had shown, I’d sort of been hoping for some new Eldar models rather than this gate (nice as it is).

well who knows as the gate is nice but if new minis I hold out hope as many of the craftworlders are old enough to drink or worse

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I weirdly feel like I don't have a lot of options with my Necrons for what I own and it is making it hard for me to commit to a list.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’ve been looking at my tyranid collection and kinda want to make a list with nothing but floating tentacled beasties. So all the ‘thropes (malan, zoan, neuro, venom), lots of assorted spores, sporocysts, tyrannocytes, maybe a converted Harpy, and I guess rippers are the only option for troops. Lots of -1’s to hit, psykers, mortal wounds everywhere, and 3/4+ invulns aplenty. Probably not very competitive, but eh. Three testicular drop pods full of goopy brain bugs coming down in a rain of explosive party balloons and nailing everything in the general vicinity with a mortal wound bomb seems pretty keen.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Stragint wrote: »
    I weirdly feel like I don't have a lot of options with my Necrons for what I own and it is making it hard for me to commit to a list.

Can you elaborate?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm all in on my Ultramarines right now...but GW rescuplting Eldar specifically the Phoenix Lords and a plastic correctly sized Avatar kit would definitely bring me back to Eldar (which was my original love in 40K all the way back to Rogue Trader). The first army I ever put together using allowance money and my summer job in high school was Eldar.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited April 2018
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm all in on my Ultramarines right now...but GW rescuplting Eldar specifically the Phoenix Lords and a plastic correctly sized Avatar kit would definitely bring me back to Eldar (which was my original love in 40K all the way back to Rogue Trader). The first army I ever put together using allowance money and my summer job in high school was Eldar.

Yeah I did tutoring in math/ civics/ science to earn my small Eldar force back in high school
    It was worth the painful understanding of so many months of just getting people to understand calculus. So many times I showed them short cuts thinking it would help and then spend even more time explaining why that worked

Brainleech on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

I don't think it was even broken combos, more that a lot of armies looked very similar and not like armies should. I know most of the tournament AdMech lists I saw floating about online generally consisted of Celestine, Marine scouts, IG Basilisks and maybe some Cawl and some Robots to add a little flavour. Though that last part is kind of optional.

Tastyfish wrote: »

I don't think it was even broken combos, more that a lot of armies looked very similar and not like armies should. I know most of the tournament AdMech lists I saw floating about online generally consisted of Celestine, Marine scouts, IG Basilisks and maybe some Cawl and some Robots to add a little flavour. Though that last part is kind of optional.

They still will feature all those things though, and in fact already kept them in separate detachments to keep Chapter Tactics, strategems, etc.

This is a nerf to taking Index-only options in a big grab bag, and to be fair I do remember some of the top 8 LVO lists were like "Space Wolves, Assassins, IG, Celestine, all in mixed detachments"

Requiring you to take a full detachment for Celestine is probably a good idea, but I don't think we can say the same about Inquisitors and Assassins, but whatever.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    But when you're limited to three detachments, as many tournaments are, you're now having to pick 3 of those 4 things - and the additional points required to make that formation may make you narrow that down to 2. I think if the change is making you look to swap out one of those units from something from your main codex, that's a good thing.

Also I thought assassins already had the out in that they can be taken in HQ-less vanguard detachments? Or you just pay one CP for including them.

edited April 2018
    Stragint wrote: »

Can you elaborate?

There isn't a lot to it. Just personal feelings on my army. I have a lot of stuff, 68 or so warriors 40 immortals, 3 lords, 2 overlords, 2 destroyer lords, 1 cryptek, 9 wraiths, 24 or so scarabs, 8 destroyers, 3 heavy destroyers, 2 triarch stalkers, 6 flayed ones, 5 old ass pweter pariahs, 5 lychguard, 3 doom/night scythe, 2 monoliths, and a Nightbringer.

I just keep making the same kind of lists and I want to try something way different. Once I get a job and am stable again I plan on getting arks and tomb blades.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Raptor helmets make every Chaos Marine kit look better
    ebi2hw5aunb4.jpg

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Raptor helmets make every Chaos Marine kit look better
    ebi2hw5aunb4.jpg

See also: Age of Sigmar Blood Warrior legs.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Does anyone remember the name of that guy who did the video explaining 40k lore in like 30 seconds? I found one online thats in about a minute, and he's also British, but it doesnt sound like the same guy, and its definitely not the same animation.

Edit: Its Zero Punctuation, from The Escapist.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    But when you're limited to three detachments, as many tournaments are, you're now having to pick 3 of those 4 things - and the additional points required to make that formation may make you narrow that down to 2. I think if the change is making you look to swap out one of those units from something from your main codex, that's a good thing.

Also I thought assassins already had the out in that they can be taken in HQ-less vanguard detachments? Or you just pay one CP for including them.

You have to take three then, though. So your options are 3 Assassins or 1 Assassins and -1 CP.

I really like them but honestly they were never overpowered and with the deep strike change, well =/

I'm hoping they get a more lenient custom rule in the future, possibly in whatever rework Inquisitors get (Imperial Agents book again?)

I have been seriously debating about getting a harlequin force since I really only had a few models I had of them
    But in thinking of how much and what I would get I wondered if since they are coming out soon would they get a start collecting box? as that would be very helpful and awesome

edited April 2018
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

You have to take three then, though. So your options are 3 Assassins or 1 Assassins and -1 CP.

I really like them but honestly they were never overpowered and with the deep strike change, well =/

I'm hoping they get a more lenient custom rule in the future, possibly in whatever rework Inquisitors get (Imperial Agents book again?)

That is part of the beta rules. Write in your thoughts. They actually changed the psyker one to not fuck GK and Tsons with smites because of that. Also it went from a -1 to cast penalty to a +1 to the warp charge which is a pretty big change since now you still get the chance of a d6 smite where with the -1 after two casts you couldn't.

This was all due to feedback from folks playing.

Edit: Send your feedback to this email address 40kFAQ@gwplc.com

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I won a local tournament!

Turns out Dark Eldar with Craftworld support is really fucking nasty. A Farseer in particular turns them into an absolute wrecking ball.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I won a doubles tournament this weekend. Partly due to my cunning strategy and devious planning, and partly because all the (d)eldar players got paired against each other and destroyed themselves in a hail of ninja stars and poisoned ninja stars.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    I wish Necrons had more wargear options for non HQ units. When I'm short by a weird amount of points for my Space Wolves I can usually make it up with random wargear options. Can't do that with Necrons.

So we finally had one of our 4-5 hour club days after a month of missing them and such. I was going to start testing my NOVA 2k list for trios but a bro was like you want to play my Slaanesh daemons yesterday so I was like fuck it, my EC are coming out instead of Alpha Legion. And also again I just can't give up the strike first or in this case go back and forth. Which again is huge verse always going last due to the Slaanesh daemon ability.

First the first turn charge is dead, long live the first turn charge. Slaanesh daemons are crazy fast. We got the deployment where at the closest we were 15" apart. This mean I had to be really smart with my screen placement so if they killed a screen I had some room between my noise marines and worthwhile units so they couldn't be consolidated into and I at least would get some overwatch. My opponent was smart and played the melee rules well. He didn't strike with his stuff on his turn giving my cultist free swings but on my turn he would wipe out the unit. The fiends were huge on preventing me from backing up and shooting the daemonettes to death.

He got first turn though I had the +1 by rolling a six and me rolling 2. In the first turn 40 daemonettes, two fiends, and the Forgeworld super Keeper of secrets got in my line. Killed my maulerfiend, continuing his record of dying turn 1 in 90% of games, and just locked themselves in combat with my front line of cultist which I couldn't do anything about. He didn't attack me during his turn keeping himself in combat and my cultist failed at killing the fiends so they stuck.

My turn was my heldrake almost killing a daemonprince, killing seekers, wiping out 20 more slaanesh daemonettes and mostly clearing the back line trying to find a way to get points with my shit cards. I keep my termis in deep strike and failed a charge with possessed even though it was 5" and I rerolled one dice by rolling a 4. My cultist still couldn't kill a fiend. The first line gets evaporated but I kept the super keeper out of my main lines for a turn. Also daemonettes tie up my defiler. Takes till turn 4 for him to clear up the daemonettes but he kills like 40.

His turn charges and gets into combat with the second cultist line and some noise marines but at least eats overwatch. Lost most of my noise marines, but they took out their worth in return fire mostly. At the end of my turn my possessed get into combat along with their supporting characters. My DP rips up another one. My drakes finishes off the daemon's DP with the flamer. My possessed even with him blowing a lot of CP for the -1 attack, the additional attacks on 6s to wound and the masks -1 go beserk and kill about 18 daemonettes. They end up basically clearing out the daemonettes, the mask, and a herald on foot.

My termis take a point I needed to capture and finish off a herald on a seeker also.

Most of the rest of the game was the lord of war keeper running around scoring points while my backline finished off the rest of his army leaving him with just the big keeper slightly wounded. But I had enough fire with a rhino, noise marines, possessed, and some termis and good ol' deffy to finish and table my opponent.

It went 5 full rounds. Game ended at the bottom of 5 in combat with my possessed killing the thing as my opponent didn't realize they were strength 5 not strength 4. I won via tabling but would of lost via points by about 2 due to my cards unless there was at turn 6.

Close game. Slaanesh daemons are nasty and fast and I really under estimated their range. The super keeper with the right warlord trait has like a standard 25" threat range on turn one. Its mean.

u7stthr17eud.png
    @Mazzyx What does your pure EC list look like?

Mazzyx What does your pure EC list look like?

Base list:
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [21 PL, 323pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord with Jump Pack [6 PL, 105pts]: Bolt pistol, Mark of Slaanesh, Power fist

Sorcerer [6 PL, 98pts]: Bolt pistol, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [33 PL, 644pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 183pts]: Malefic talon, Slaanesh, Warp bolter

Sorcerer [6 PL, 98pts]: Bolt pistol, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Noise Marines [6 PL, 121pts]
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Doom siren, Sonic blaster

++ Total: [54 PL, 967pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

From here I build out what I want for the heavies. I have a good base of shooting, support HQs, and a nice chaff front line that wins games.

I have been running possessed which means I drop a sorc and the DP and instead take a base apostle and an exalted champion.

I have been focusing on my daemon engines of a maulerfiend+a defiler built for close combat. Oblits, termis, and so on are good editions. Possessed have been doing work and I can't take zerkers if I stay pure EC.

It has everything for a base TAC list.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    What are your thoughts on mixing blastmasters/sonic blasters?
    I always used to split them, keep the blastmasters in small 5 man teams hanging out at the back, and keep the sonic blasters with doom siren champs who get closer

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So we finally had one of our 4-5 hour club days after a month of missing them and such. I was going to start testing my NOVA 2k list for trios but a bro was like you want to play my Slaanesh daemons yesterday so I was like fuck it, my EC are coming out instead of Alpha Legion. And also again I just can't give up the strike first or in this case go back and forth. Which again is huge verse always going last due to the Slaanesh daemon ability.

First the first turn charge is dead, long live the first turn charge. Slaanesh daemons are crazy fast. We got the deployment where at the closest we were 15" apart. This mean I had to be really smart with my screen placement so if they killed a screen I had some room between my noise marines and worthwhile units so they couldn't be consolidated into and I at least would get some overwatch. My opponent was smart and played the melee rules well. He didn't strike with his stuff on his turn giving my cultist free swings but on my turn he would wipe out the unit. The fiends were huge on preventing me from backing up and shooting the daemonettes to death.

He got first turn though I had the +1 by rolling a six and me rolling 2. In the first turn 40 daemonettes, two fiends, and the Forgeworld super Keeper of secrets got in my line. Killed my maulerfiend, continuing his record of dying turn 1 in 90% of games, and just locked themselves in combat with my front line of cultist which I couldn't do anything about. He didn't attack me during his turn keeping himself in combat and my cultist failed at killing the fiends so they stuck.

My turn was my heldrake almost killing a daemonprince, killing seekers, wiping out 20 more slaanesh daemonettes and mostly clearing the back line trying to find a way to get points with my shit cards. I keep my termis in deep strike and failed a charge with possessed even though it was 5" and I rerolled one dice by rolling a 4. My cultist still couldn't kill a fiend. The first line gets evaporated but I kept the super keeper out of my main lines for a turn. Also daemonettes tie up my defiler. Takes till turn 4 for him to clear up the daemonettes but he kills like 40.

His turn charges and gets into combat with the second cultist line and some noise marines but at least eats overwatch. Lost most of my noise marines, but they took out their worth in return fire mostly. At the end of my turn my possessed get into combat along with their supporting characters. My DP rips up another one. My drakes finishes off the daemon's DP with the flamer. My possessed even with him blowing a lot of CP for the -1 attack, the additional attacks on 6s to wound and the masks -1 go beserk and kill about 18 daemonettes. They end up basically clearing out the daemonettes, the mask, and a herald on foot.

My termis take a point I needed to capture and finish off a herald on a seeker also.

Most of the rest of the game was the lord of war keeper running around scoring points while my backline finished off the rest of his army leaving him with just the big keeper slightly wounded. But I had enough fire with a rhino, noise marines, possessed, and some termis and good ol' deffy to finish and table my opponent.

It went 5 full rounds. Game ended at the bottom of 5 in combat with my possessed killing the thing as my opponent didn't realize they were strength 5 not strength 4. I won via tabling but would of lost via points by about 2 due to my cards unless there was at turn 6.

Close game. Slaanesh daemons are nasty and fast and I really under estimated their range. The super keeper with the right warlord trait has like a standard 25" threat range on turn one. Its mean.

He apparently knows the combat rules so well that he super cheated in your game
    A er all charging units have fought, the players alternate choosing eligible units to fight with (starting with the player whose turn it is) until all eligible units on both sides have fought once each

Norgoth wrote: »

A er all charging units have fought, the players alternate choosing eligible units to fight with (starting with the player whose turn it is) until all eligible units on both sides have fought once each

He probably means that his opponent did the thing where you charge one unit, explicitly don't declare a second (or more) unit as part of the charge, use your charge movement to get right next to all of those units anyway and then later pile in or consolidate into them.

This drags the units into combat, but you cannot attack them. That "drawback" of course is often the point, as you can encircle a single model in an enemy unit, the entire unit now can't fall back and your presumably super melee units can't murder the trapped model on your turn to ruin it. Next fight phase they murder that model and probably the entire unit and are now free to charge or whatever on your next turn.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

He probably means that his opponent did the thing where you charge one unit, explicitly don't declare a second (or more) unit as part of the charge, use your charge movement to get right next to all of those units anyway and then later pile in or consolidate into them.

This drags the units into combat, but you cannot attack them. That "drawback" of course is often the point, as you can encircle a single model in an enemy unit, the entire unit now can't fall back and your presumably super melee units can't murder the trapped model on your turn to ruin it. Next fight phase they murder that model and probably the entire unit and are now free to charge or whatever on your next turn.

That’s entirely possible, but the way it’s written sounds like he just chose not to attack, which isn’t something you can do.

On another topic, list submitted for the London GT. Did several test games with some other tournament players on the weekend and it performed super well. Having so so many options during the psychic phase is a little brain busting, but it’s good. Dropping -1 to hit and upping the invuln to a 3+ on a deamon prince who has turn one charged you is really funny.

Also Ahriman just straight up beats some lists. Anything the relies on some kind of buff synergy he just shredded. Oh cool DA gunline with azreal and Banner? Well I’m just going to sniper them out with psychic powers.

Doombolt is also hilarious against some lists. Against a tyranid melee list I cast it on the front line of genestealers and it meant the whole army moved 3” because they blocked their own guys.