As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Duelyst] pretty much Hearthstone tactics

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    New patch with web replays, razer support, new bosses, localization, and some other stuff

WingedWeasel on
    haven't posted in a while in the thread as it seemed interest died down. i'm still playing pretty regularly. that's not the important part. the important part is the big news from twitchon:

NEW GENERALS

https://duelyst.com/news/immortal-vanguard-sneak-peek
    the new set that was announced "immortal vanguard" will sport a new general for each faction

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Always liked duelyst but it was the most mentally draining card game so I fell off it. Stuff like Eternal was just easier for me to grind on

liEt3nH.png
    i really wanted to like eternal. but too much like magic for me.

big question is what does variax do for new general

liEt3nH.png

duelyst is adding a suspend-like mechanic in this expansion, units with Build enter play as 0/10 structures that tick down and then become the unit

liEt3nH.png
    i saw some of them. i am not sure how i feel about it yet

edited November 2017
    this is just....wow. so many changes

https://duelyst.com/news/set-and-rotation-changes
    Starting in 2018, we are going to introduce expansion rotations into Duelyst’s standard ranked ladder play mode. This means that Core Set cards and the most recent expansion sets at any given time will be playable in this game mode. This does not mean the cards you have collected from older expansions are no longer valid - your full collection of cards will always be playable in other game modes including Friendly Matches, Boss Battles, and other game modes we will be introducing in the future (more news on that coming soon!).

while i am unsurprised that a rotation is coming, i think everyone knew it would, i am concerned that they don't explicitly mention a duelyst equivalent to wild. there have been plenty of people wailing over the playerbase numbers and i tend to ignore it, however CP hasn't been all that interested in adding additional modes that would cause a dip in the "main" ladder population. i've grown attached to a number of cards and i want to be able to continue to play them against humans, not the bosses. friendly matches is not really a consolation as tournaments will almost assuredly choose the standard format, and most people are going to be focused on ladder climbing.

WingedWeasel on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Copying the non-rotating Core Set model from Hearthstone is a big no-no in my book, but I guess they're fans of Makantor Warbeast.

metaghost wrote: »
    Copying the non-rotating Core Set model from Hearthstone is a big no-no in my book, but I guess they're fans of Makantor Warbeast.

I wouldn't rule out changes later. Personally I don't really have a problem with the evergreen core set idea. There are still a ton of questions remaining about how this will all work.

Overall I'm pretty negative about the change even if I recognize the inevitability and necessity. I'm hoping they do what is appropriate for the game otherwise in a few months when rotation happens I may drop off. I mean I'm certainly not putting money in, but I was only doing so when they had the small sets you could get 100% of via a set purchase.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I admire their bravery in making these big sweeping changes that they feel will better the game in the long run, but I'm not sure this is a sound business decision at this point. It'll only serve to drive people away.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I admire their bravery in making these big sweeping changes that they feel will better the game in the long run, but I'm not sure this is a sound business decision at this point. It'll only serve to drive people away.

the rotation? it was inevitable. i believe you could theoretically keep everything legal, but the strain it'd put on the balance team would be immense. plus from a financial perspective rotating formats are naturally going to be better

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

the rotation? it was inevitable. i believe you could theoretically keep everything legal, but the strain it'd put on the balance team would be immense. plus from a financial perspective rotating formats are naturally going to be better

I was also thinking back to the card draw change that pretty fundamentally changed the game and I'm sure lost a good chunk of players.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

I was also thinking back to the card draw change that pretty fundamentally changed the game and I'm sure lost a good chunk of players.

oh ok, i thought you were only referencing stuff in the recent post. that change supposedly lost them a ton of people. whether that actually happened or not is debatable. reddit posts aren't a good indicator but i can guarantee that 2 draw will be cited as the reason by the masses. i really liked the 2 draw era, and there are other games that make it work. however i don't know how it'd look today if it still existed

the 2 draw change feels like one of those things that falls into the category of "player's don't know what they want". i don't doubt a lot of people would prefer it, but i wonder how many actually are happier with 1 draw and won't admit it

Aside from the new set, format rotations (standard and unlimited), now cosmetics and cosmetic crates are getting overhauls

https://duelyst.com/news/trials-of-mythron-live

The former get a price drop permenantly whereas the latter are now free to open

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Aside from the new set, format rotations (standard and unlimited), now cosmetics and cosmetic crates are getting overhauls

How dead is Duelyst?

I reinstalled to get the free packs and crack the stockpile of Cosmetic Crates, sifted through my collection for a bit, then closed the game.

Were the new Generals printed as actual cards you had to open in an earlier set?

metaghost wrote: »

How dead is Duelyst?

I reinstalled to get the free packs and crack the stockpile of Cosmetic Crates, sifted through my collection for a bit, then closed the game.

Were the new Generals printed as actual cards you had to open in an earlier set?

You don't have to open them but you have to win X games as a faction to unlock them

liEt3nH.png
    Yeah the 3rd generals require you to win games with the specific faction to unlock them.

The game is fine as far as I can tell population wise. I haven't had any issues getting games for the most part so you can quickly queue into games without issue. Overall I think it is pretty stable but I don't see the status quo changing anytime soon, or ever.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Did they ever come up with an Android app?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »
    Did they ever come up with an Android app?

nothing yet

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I wonder why the tablet apps haven't happened. It's the #1 reason my lazy ass friends dropped the game....due to real life.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    i honestly don't know why the apps have been so long in the making. that isn't to make light of the effort involved, but the game always seemed to be designed with it in mind so i dunno

I haven't confirmed this as I basically logged in, bought some orvs with gold and then logged out but apparently the unlimited format (wild) has no ladder, presumably indicating no rewards.

I don't know about anyone else but that really pushes me to not play. I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I WANTED to. I have no problem with rotations and I understand the logistical problems of multiple formats, but I didn't really want to dive into standard. My routine would be grind up to rank 5, derp around with memes, and if I hit a lucky streak push for S rank. I don't really want to play standard at the moment and it really feels like I have to in order to stay f2p.

I guess that's the crux of the issue for me. I could be f2p mostly just with the plan i described. Now I need to push into a format not super excited to play in (right now) instead of one I was excited about. In the end it isn't the end of the world, it just....is. really I love duelyst but they misstepped pretty hard here for me.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    That sucks Wear, Im sorry.

I am having the opposite experience. I crushed down on my non standard cards for spirit, and finally snapped up a bunch if cards needed to make a decent Lyonar deck.

edited April 2018
    i'm still doing my get to "rank 5, call it a month" plan. since there is now a tournament scene i may get more active in duelyst again. especially since the first big tournament is going to be unlimited! i just cannot get excited about ladder in any game. when i play warcraft or starcraft i ladder because it then makes me play against people roughly at my skill level. but i always enjoy playing tournaments much more. same for duelyst (and i guess HS before i tossed that in the garbage). ladder is just...boring.

unfortunately online card games have this obsession with multi-deck formats which is disheartening.

WingedWeasel on
    I don't know if I'd call it an obsession so much as "No one has the time to think of a solution other than rotations and multiple formats, so they're just going to go with something that's proven to be good enough"

The problem most games wind up with is that they don't really support their extended format, because the standard format usually sells the most packs

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2018
    I don't know if I'd call it an obsession so much as "No one has the time to think of a solution other than rotations and multiple formats, so they're just going to go with something that's proven to be good enough"

The problem most games wind up with is that they don't really support their extended format, because the standard format usually sells the most packs

well i mean they could introduce a sideboard and just play 2 of 3 like physical games.

edit: i think my original statement was worded poorly. i am fine with rotations, although i happen to be disappointed as it initially looked like there would be no unlimited support. that seems to not be the case as the mythron tournament will be unlimited. time will tell if they continue to support it or not.

my second point though was that i do have a problem with things following the hearthstone model with conquest and the like.

WingedWeasel on
    Oh conquest as a tournament mode blows chunks

liEt3nH.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I really liked the game when I was playing it but they made some design decisions both in terms of cards and cosmetics that rubbed me the wrong way.

When they first announced their standard format I was really annoyed because it sounded like they had no plans for any kind of “wild” or”modern” format. So at least they have something I guess. But if it’s not a ladder then they clearly don’t have any intention to support it. (And Blizzard barely does anything with a wild that could be called support).

I dunno. I would be curious to try it again. But I can’t afford two card games and as much as these things are free to play, you really can’t do much meaningful without investing money. But my interest in Hearthstone is waning so maybe I will give this a shot again.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    With the changeover to standard i personally still feel the jury is out with respect to how f2p friendly duelyst is now. Previously it was incredibly friendly, now I'm not sure. Granted I can play decimus starhorn completely unchanged in the new format and be fine for now so that's what I'm doing.

Cosmetically you are ahead now as you can get keys for crate without spending cash.

There was a.long post on Reddit calling for an unlimited ladder but to be honest I expect this one tournament to throw a bone to people and then for them to say "it is up to the community!" and everyone collectively decides to default to standard. Which is unfortunate.

Long term i anticipate unlimited to die off unless CPG actively cultivates it which isn't likely.

This is a fragile time as anytime you make these sort of changes people are going to jump off the wagon, or be hesitant to get on. If they make it through to the other side then things will improve but my experience has been they need to keep above water now and knock it out of the park with follow-up.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I have been thinking about hopping back into this. Hearthstone is so boring lately and I was looking at some of the new general animations and this game is so pretty.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    i'd like to play some but i don't because sometimes the in-game currency is on sale so i'm always waiting for that sale to happen and then when the sale is on i'm like "mmm am i REALLY gonna play it tho"

but on the bright side idling on twitch streams means the occasional booster pack

liEt3nH.png
    edited May 2018
    It's pretty frustrating to be on a streak in mid silver and then get repeatedly matched with like 30+ ribbons players.

Just had 2 matches with Argeon where I got both generals ( Zirix and the main Abyssian chick) down to 1 health over several turns but couldn't seem draw/replace any aoe damage.

sigh.

No-Quarter on
    i'm not sure if this is how people felt when reno and kazakus were all the rage, but the wanderer lists are pretty frustrating. it feels as though they accelerate the game in an unfortunate way.

i was just reading through that. i think it's amazing personally, but i can't imagine long term balance is going to go well with this. don't get me wrong i love to play eternal formats in every game. the thing is they require a a lot of effort to maintain properly, or alternatively you need to accept that certain limitations are going to introduce themselves. if duelyst ultimately shifted to a model where there are less expansions and instead the sales are driven instead by cosmetic sales* then i would ecstatic. however that is kinda uncharted territory for a card game to my knowledge. you can make the argument that there are games that functioned in a similar manner (ex: the wowtcg subsidized things early on and arguably later via loot cards) but i;m not aware of one that would rely on cosmetics. that also of course assume that's the route they are trying to go.

feels good that the community at large also loves unlimited.

*i am thinking this may be a thing simply because the boss skins are not available

oh for...

I CRUSHED DOWN ALL MY SHIMZAR CARDS when it rotated

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

i have a feeling there are a lot of people that did that