As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kneel's family shenanigans [renamed]

12346»

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Nausea went away pretty quickly for me, the first couple of weeks were pretty bad but then it was OK. It had an interaction with alcohol, in that my tolerance for alcohol went way down and I got kind of confused after just a couple of drinks, so be careful of that.

The zaps are the worst. I only had them when I stopped taking the drug (in my case I had the bright idea of going cold turkey because I felt OK and couldn't be bothered to renew my prescription). They're extremely unpleasant and distracting and potentially dangerous, I almost got hit by a car when crossing the street because of it.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    In case it needs to be said, if you DO decide to get off Prozac, let your doctor guide the process, and stay in touch over the course of the withdrawal if possible. Depending on your dosage and done right, going off it completely can take quite a while.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hey again. I've almost finished my first course of Prozac and saw the GP yesterday to give them an update. The nausea and cold-like symptoms have almost entirely passed, helped by taking the medication before bed. I have had the odd drink, but since I swapped the beer for spirit and low-cal mixer I've lost a bit more weight - if anything I drink less in an evening than I did before. Anyway, I've been given another months worth of meds, and will return next month for another update.

I'm feeling pretty good today. I've been in a bouncy mood, was up at 5:30am, walked the dogs and did the usual housework/seeing-to-kids bit before seeing the autism assessor to get the official report (made before I started my prescription) of major, major anxiety. I was offered further sessions or the choice to discharge - given that the meds are really helping with the anxiety, I've opted for a discharge with a further option to re-engage if required.

In other news, we've been doing everything in our power to involve the eldest in activities, and she's actively choosing to avoid around half of them. She seems to shy away from going to two of her summer clubs (because it involves catching the bus, shock horror, rather than getting cabs from the front door), and refused to go to the cinema on a family outing to see the new Spiderman flick last Tuesday - her mum missed out as a result, as someone had to stay home with her and her mum panicked at the thought of being alone in crowds in the city centre. We did sit down to watch a movie together tonight, which was progress, but despite her stating that she's upset because we're not including her, she's doing her damnedest to hide in her room on the XBox.

I'm noting everything to relate back to her social worker when she returns to work in a fortnight.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Watch out for drinking on that if only because it will make you extra-special-sleepy.

• Options
    ceres wrote: »
    Watch out for drinking on that if only because it will make you extra-special-sleepy.

Thanks, and I'm good. If anything it makes me pack it in and go to bed earlier (I only usually drink in the evenings).

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    A shenanigan update appears to be appropriate.

1) No issues from the eldest. No police calls, flip-outs, rage attacks or whatnot. We have had some meetings in regards to Child Protection and all is going well. Eldest is engaging well with the rest of the family, and we've no problems at the moment.

2) Wife was up for PIP (Personal Independence Payment) review last month; we submitted the forms, including her various medical and psychological issues, but following an assessment she was scored zero points. Her PIP money has been stopped, as has my Carer's Allowance, so we're now attempting to appeal this decision. I don't expect the 'Mandatory Reconsideration' to yield results, so it'll doubtless go to an Appeal Tribunal.

Again.

In the meantime she's just been issued a full face mask after her nasal mask kept her awake, so fingers crossed for a decent result in a few months time.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hello thread.

A shenanigan update seems appropriate.

Eldest:

Things were going well right up to the point where the eldest finished her bus training and was formally placed on independent travel.
    At that point she regularly ceased coming home from school, went out with friends after school, regularly turned up in the darnedest places and then begged for me to call a cab for her to get home, with us panicking and calling authorities in the meantime (and with her texting abuse to her mother in the interim) and otherwise causing a nuisance. On the most recent excursions, she pretended to collapse in the street of a nearby town, causing a scene, prompting a call to emergency services and resulting in me heading down to the hospital A&E department at 10:30pm to meet up with her. When the admin staff stated that she wouldn't be seen by a doctor until 4am she magically felt much better.

Things took a sharp downward turn when she began doing some awful shit - that I won't go into detail on - that placed her three younger siblings in danger. In short order her social worker stepped in and said that, yep, maybe it's time she was placed in an alternative care situation, for the good of the ickle kids.

Finally.

So, the eldest is now living in a nearby town in a supervised household that handles teenagers with learning/behavioural difficulties, with a weekly allowance, and is expected to buy her own provisions and look after her shit. She's not enjoying it in the sense that she's not being waited on hand-and-foot anymore, but she's still pulling the running-away-at-every-opportunity thing. I get contacted for the sake of courtesy, but their policies dictate that they can't lock doors nor place hands on residents so I fear she's exploiting that a tad. She's still welcome to visit us, but she's put off the last few visits for unknown reasons.

Sadly she's had to have her mobile phone confiscated due to sending/receiving obscene messages and photos.

Home:

Meanwhile, our younger three are thriving in the reduced-stress household, and the eldest's room being free means that my only son gets a room of his own. I finished decorating and furnishing it this weekend and he's over the moon. I can't recall the last time I saw him this happy, and it's nice knowing that I can decorate a room safe in the knowledge that it's not going to get trashed for some arbitrary, nonsensical reason.

On a down note, Mrs Kneel has been struggling of late. She was taken off her anti-psychotics in November/December with the intention of putting her on an alternative medication. This was pending tests including ECG but they were being organised during times that I was collecting kids from school and Wifey couldn't bring herself to attend alone. After months of rearranging we finally pulled the kids out of school one afternoon, attended en-masse only to be told that the ECG machine was broken.

We attended another ECG appointment that we arranged independently, but were subsequently told that a serious heart condition had been flagged up. After another few months of panic, we were finally reassured by both the cardiology consultant and our GP that the ECG discrepancy was nothing to worry about, given her medication.

We finally just got Wifey started on a new anti-psychotic, Quetiapine, and she's three days in. She's had some discomfort, mild anxiety/irritability but she's sticking with it despite serious misgivings, and I'm hoping it allows her to start enjoying life again (she's currently displaying all the signs of anhedonia, and it's crushing to see her do nothing all day when she used to enjoy so many crafts and games). Meanwhile, Wifey was also denied Personal Independence Payments when renewal came up, so we're waiting on the date for an appeal hearing.

And finally I'm coping alright, I've taken some long breaks from drinking, reassessed my irritating need to obsess over things (ie mini painting) and am trying to be a happier me.

So yes, there you go. Updated as of 29/04/18.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    I am so glad to hear all that, and sorry that serious danger to your other kids is what it took. :/