As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pax 2018 Hype

• Options
    KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    Did anyone else notice the paxsite update?

SEATTLE, WA
    AUG 31 - SEP 3, 2018

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    KopeAcetic wrote: »

SEATTLE, WA
    AUG 31 - SEP 3, 2018

Here is the link.
    lxsckkf3ffct.png

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular

SEATTLE, WA
    AUG 31 - SEP 3, 2018
    *GASP*

• Options
    I was looking at the registration page. It's not active or anything, but it has placeholders for the prices. Except for BYOC. Does that mean BYOC will be sold at the same time as regular badges? They aren't normally right?

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

SEATTLE, WA
    AUG 31 - SEP 3, 2018

Here is the link.
    lxsckkf3ffct.png

OMG. I really have to start paying more attention now. Does anyone know if there exists a Twitter alert for Linux? I'd really like to get a popup on my computer when the PAX Badge twitter account tweets out that big tweet.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD. *HYPE LEVEL INTENSIFIES*

• Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    I’m strongly considering taking the train this year (from California). Sure, it’s longer and more expensive, but it’ll be an experience.

I wouldn't recommend it, I took the train from around the central valley and it took 20 hours. Food was overpriced, ticket overpriced, bathrooms sucked, water was awful, and most paxers had already grouped up since LA. I'm introverted so that last one was partially on me. Every year since I've driven, and never considered the train again.

To my recollection the Pax west coast train organization isn't active anymore, as Aviatrix said, so that doesn't help anything.

If it's something you absolutely want to cross of a list, I would recommend spliting your travel between train/plane.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    I'm still betting on the first week of June being the official ticket drop date. Still, I am surprised to see the dates change so soon after East!

• Options
    Historically, these have been the dates badges went on sale.

agoz5aty9dy7.png

And in case you were questioning the value of being hyped and ready, this is a plot of how long West badges have taken to sell out (in minutes). Take note of the Y-axis, it's log-scale, so each major division is 10 times the one before it.
    rxrzobudhc4s.png
    I'm quite curious what will happen with Monday badges this year. Last year Monday's sellout took 500 times longer than 2016. That implies there was a notable drop in attempts to scalp Mondays (and possibly a decrease in people going for all 4 days), but it still sold out. And don't get too encouraged about Saturdays taking 45 minutes to sell out, you really need to be in that queue a few minutes after it goes live. Make sure your notifications are set.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Make sure your notifications are set.

Specifically for https://twitter.com/pax_badges. You can also set them for @official_pax as well if you want, but @pax_badges is the main source for the ticket news your waiting for and will have minimal false alarms.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Wait, 2013 was the first year of a Monday? And the first year it took less than a day to sell out? Wow.
    I remember sitting in the queue for like 4 hours and getting a Monday badge and feeling lucky. I had been told they sell out "fast" and you need to know when they go on sale, I figured it had been 1-day sell outs for a while before that.
    I never knew that my first PAX was the first year they added Mondays. And since Monday was the only day I bought in advance... Makes me appreciate that Monday badge even more :p

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Wait, 2013 was the first year of a Monday? And the first year it took less than a day to sell out? Wow.
    I remember sitting in the queue for like 4 hours and getting a Monday badge and feeling lucky. I had been told they sell out "fast" and you need to know when they go on sale, I figured it had been 1-day sell outs for a while before that.
    I never knew that my first PAX was the first year they added Mondays. And since Monday was the only day I bought in advance... Makes me appreciate that Monday badge even more :p

2012 is a little misleading. The actual sale was up for less than 24 hours, but because it crashed the site they took it down for a week and then relaunched it once they switched back to a stable host.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

2012 is a little misleading. The actual sale was up for less than 24 hours, but because it crashed the site they took it down for a week and then relaunched it once they switched back to a stable host.

I remember that year, I only got tickets because I was in the department computer labs and thought to randomly check the page on a lark. Honestly though, I'm surprised Monday took so long to sell out, it's just as good a day as the others.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    I am certainly happy that I "guessed" correctly on the dates. Means I won't have to try and change my PTO request. :)

• Options

I remember that year, I only got tickets because I was in the department computer labs and thought to randomly check the page on a lark. Honestly though, I'm surprised Monday took so long to sell out, it's just as good a day as the others.

To be technical, you do get less PAX per dollar spent on a badge for Monday. It's not as long, exhibitors have less energy, stuff gets sold out, etc...
    My guess is that a decent number of people are happy with only three days and decided to start saving a few bucks by skipping a day they didn't really need (especially if it means checking out of a hotel early and getting a cheaper flight (or just avoiding SEA on Tuesday)). Now those Monday badges are being bought by people new to PAX, and I think it's better for PAX overall. People who were iffy on Monday being replaced with people who want to get the most out of it means Monday moves back to being more like the other 3 days.

• Options
    JeiCosJeiCos Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    My friend and I are planing to go. Regardless we WILL be there Fri-Sun roaming the free areas if worse comes to worse, but we are hoping to buy badges for Sat and Sun, and be in free spaces Fri. Or buy Fri-Sat badges and free roam Sun. whichever works out for us. We'll also be taking the bus every day. There's a bus that goes straight from down the road from my house, to like, 2 blocks from the con center lol

I hope I can even be around when badges go on sale. I read earlier in this thread that it's normally the beginning of June? What days was it last year? I have a con June 1st-3rd, so I hope it's not during that.

Also, does anyone know what's up with the mailing list thing? I put in my email to be on the mailing list for alerts, which says it includes badge alerts, but all it does is refresh the home page..And I didn't get any confirmation email, so it obviously didn't work at all..

JeiCos on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Following https://twitter.com/pax_badges is the best way to know the minute badges go live.

From the badge sellout sheet, it was June 8 last year.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    JeiCosJeiCos Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Following https://twitter.com/pax_badges is the best way to know the minute badges go live.

From the badge sellout sheet, it was June 8 last year.

Oh awesome thank you very much. I went ahead and followed that twitter. That should help since I'm constantly on twitter and it'll be nearly impossible to miss it lol

Also thanks for letting me know the day from last year for tickets. That should help me to know when to be more alert.

• Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I has a sads.
    I'm not sure I can go to PAX this year. Car needs fixes and I need to save some money for Star Wars Celebration 2019. Maybe just one day. Yeah. One day will be enough... maybe. *starts growing mushrooms in the corner*

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    Hello fellow SOON-ers! So nice seeing familiar names and avis again!

• Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    SOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Has it been SOON enough?

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Has it been SOON enough?

Not until we've gone from giddy and hopeful to deranged and desperate from too much waiting (or SOON™ sickness, as I like to refer to it)

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    Oh man, airfares just dropped significantly for me and I'm tempted to buy but I've never bought flight tickets before having the actual tickets. My paranoia is just too much that I won't be able to get tickets this year and be screwed on the flight cost. :(

• Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Oh man, airfares just dropped significantly for me and I'm tempted to buy but I've never bought flight tickets before having the actual tickets. My paranoia is just too much that I won't be able to get tickets this year and be screwed on the flight cost. :(

Sadly, mine are holding steady at way higher than last year. And not mentally strong enough to book things for PAX without badges.

• Options
    I ended up pulling the trigger. Been burned before waiting for badges before airfare and paid for it. Worst case scenario is I don't get badges, go to Seattle anyways and stare sadly through the windows of WSCC.

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I ended up pulling the trigger. Been burned before waiting for badges before airfare and paid for it. Worst case scenario is I don't get badges, go to Seattle anyways and stare sadly through the windows of WSCC.

Don't worry, worst case scenario the forum bands together, makes a long SOOOOOON ™ costume and sneaks you in that way because it really wouldn't be PAX without Business Cat

RiDE on
    "Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular

Honestly, even without badges, there is still a lot to look at and see that doesn't require a badge. You don't need a badge to get into the WSCC. You will have a good time, I'm sure! I don't at all recommend this, but if you're really desperate, there are always scalpers on the streets selling badges.

5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    anettie76 wrote: »

Honestly, even without badges, there is still a lot to look at and see that doesn't require a badge. You don't need a badge to get into the WSCC. You will have a good time, I'm sure! I don't at all recommend this, but if you're really desperate, there are always scalpers on the streets selling badges.

Just camping in the Sheraton lounge/bar you can get quite a bit of PAX in. All the pin trading you could ask for, a large number of the VIPs hang out there, and it has enough space to play board games in too.

• Options
    Backup plans, cool tips and a promise of an overly complex cosplay in an effort to sneak me in?
    wa5f9dg9hwp4.jpg

I'm keeping on top of my ticket game. Getting all my alerts and even buying a new smartwatch because my old one was giving me delayed alerts. When waiting for PAX tickets, that simply will not do!

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    And really, badges are so easy to get these days. A close hotel & cheep flights are way more important.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    And really, badges are so easy to get these days. A close hotel & cheep flights are way more important.
    Desirable days were available pretty much from the moment they got mailed out. And Mondays could be had at below cost easily.

Another option, is many people give away their badges at the end of the day. So if you wanted to catch a night panel or take advantage of Tabletop being open till Midnight, it's a pretty viable option. I met a person last year who *only* did PAX that way, and has been doing so for years.

• Options
    DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    May 1st check-in to the SOON™ gang!

Prices are posted so the hype is real! Does $50.75 seam to be an odd price point for anyone else?

Also, is this twitter account new? I don't recal it being a thing last SOON™...
    Beker wrote: »
    Make sure your notifications are set.

Specifically for https://twitter.com/pax_badges. You can also set them for @official_pax as well if you want, but @pax_badges is the main source for the ticket news your waiting for and will have minimal false alarms.

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I do not approve of the price! As somebody who has sold excess badges the day of due to people flaking last minute... 50.75 is a pain in the ass number to ask for! Dealing with ones? Tolerable, but quarters?! I'll have to round up if it happens again.

I believe the new twitter account was phased in last year? I don't remember if it was used for West. But official_pax still was used for ticket sales. If I'm not mistaken, official_pax no longer tweets sales and you must use pax_badges? Not positive. But I wouldn't risk not following pax_badges.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Didn't realize that prices were already up. I'm just monitoring the front page to see when the "registration soon" changes to "registration open" so that may explain why. 50.75 does seem weird. Also, they bumped up the price a little since I attended last time(in 2016). You think they would want a round number, but to be fair, I'd rather pay 50.75 than 51.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    Pax_badges was started after West last year. It is the account the badge notification will be sent from . If you are not following that account you will not be notified.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    For anybody who has trouble finding the prices.
    9x62ycqknnze.png
    This makes it $203 for the full 4 days. That is not the kind of round number you expect.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    Badge prices up! The PAX wait is real!!!!

SOON levels engaged!

• Options
    KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    Thoughts/guestimates on when they'll go up for sale!?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Thoughts/guestimates on when they'll go up for sale!?

When are you least likely to be near a device with internet access?

This discussion has been closed.