As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    50 per kit is a bit of a tough pill to swallow, but it looks like it's coming with a bunch of stuff so that's good. Just not going to be able to field a full tie swarm, but I guess I'd need another core set anyway, so that brings the count up to 6 easily.

Same deal with the x-wing in the new core set. That plus conversion plus saw's expansion is at least 4 x-wings I could field.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I think I might pre-order the core set, and then slowly pick up the conversion kits (or ask for them as birthday gifts). Kinda depends how much I'll be playing by that time, but I'm hoping more than I am now.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    obligatory app usage is potentially fine as long as the app is actually good

I've never used any of FFG's apps though, except for TOME, which was total garbage (though it was in beta, so maybe it's fine now)

Mansions of Madness 2e is solid, that's the only one I've used from em.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Honestly if the conversion lifts come with cards or tokens for all of the ships it might be even easier to play or experiment with ships you don't own, in proxy home games.

I have mixed feelings on the new resources or conditions but I haven't played with any of the new waves so I'd have to face that music some day anyway.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    50 bucks for rebels when i only own 4 ships for them is rough. (Ghost, B-wing, X-wing, and A-wing).
    50 bucks for my two defenders, 3 interceptors, two ties, bomber doesn't seem as bad. I hope there is some kind of secondary market...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh shit. There is a new Y-Wing model and Horton gets an EPT! It is the literal end of the world!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    No, TOME still sucks from everything I've heard.

Did some napkin math. If you pay full retail, and don't include tax, the kits come out to cover the following dollar amounts in product:

Rebellion: $705

Imperial: $595

Scum: $815

That's mostly due to the base sizes, mind you. and I subtracted 1 X-wing and 2 TIE/ln from those values because of the new core. Imperial definitely gets the short end of the stick, but given that most of the ships get 3 dials (and TIE/ln gets 4), it shouldn't hurt too much to expand.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    How do you know what upgrade slots people have? Is it on the back of the card?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

App

They kept upgrade and points in app only to allow for balance changes.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

App

Gotcha. I was trying to figure out what that one card in the spread was for the X-Wings and Y-Wings but it seems to be a recommended build for a character to be thematic?

Also I preordered a Core set and rebel expansion.

Yes. I am part of the problem.

• Options
    Listening to the panel and they said you need a core in addition to the conversion kit.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Still far cheaper than 40k.

• Options

App

I had the same question. That's interesting, but since you can change upgrade/card costs for different tournaments or play, does that also mean we could eventually hijack the app for more streamlined Heroes of the Aturi Cluster or other custom campaigns?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The card with a ship and upgrades is called a quickship. It gives a "threat" to a given ship loadout, allowing rough balance and quick throwdown. So if you go threat 6, you could field a 4 threat Luke and a 2 threat a-wing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    App is free!

Now will it include the dice roller, or are they still going to charge $5 for that?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    App is free!

Now will it include the dice roller, or are they still going to charge $5 for that?

The dice are the same so you can use the same ones from 1.0.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    As a extremely casual player, this just prices me out of the game. It's probably good overall, and I'm far less harsh on FFG for things than many people. I just personally can't justify buying any more with how much I play, or even just converting what I have over.

• Options
    Yeah...not sure where I stand. When I get home I may need to actually price this out.

Will making five factions that matter mean I could justifiably run Empire and Scum without worrying about Rebellion, Resistance, or First Order?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    As a extremely casual player, this just prices me out of the game. It's probably good overall, and I'm far less harsh on FFG for things than many people. I just personally can't justify buying any more with how much I play, or even just converting what I have over.

If you're flying casual, like me, and you've already got ships and stuff, you could probably get away with proxying whatever comes out anyway. The base templates look mostly the same, except for the bullseye range.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

If you're flying casual, like me, and you've already got ships and stuff, you could probably get away with proxying whatever comes out anyway. The base templates look mostly the same, except for the bullseye range.

Plus the cards seem to be on the app as well?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So the conversion kits are $50 as listed?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    As someone who is just looking at X-Wing again for the first time since it initially released and feeling overwhelmed, this is a nice thing.

But I still wish they had mentioned their other Star Wars games that I am vastly more interested in at their Star Wars games event.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    As someone who is just looking at X-Wing again for the first time since it initially released and feeling overwhelmed, this is a nice thing.

But I still wish they had mentioned their other Star Wars games that I am vastly more interested in at their Star Wars games event.

It is early in the week. If they announced this on Tuesday then what are they doing on May 4th?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

It is early in the week. If they announced this on Tuesday then what are they doing on May 4th?

Hopefully telling us what the next Imperial commander and special forces unit is for Legion and telling us what's next for Armada so can stop fretting over all this pesky money I have.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't collected any ships since wave 4. Was that really 10 waves ago? Man that's a nutty amount of ships they've released.

Real talk though, I'd pay good money for a fully featured, online version of this game. Tie it into the ships with registration or something, or make the whole thing online purchases. Whatever gets them paid.

That would be so good since I just can't get out that often to play, but would be able to at home via online. I know vassel exists, but I'd love an official game with super intuitive design, features, art, and sfx.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I am very excited.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    So I guess my coin-flip choice to go with the core pack of TIE/fo vs. T-70 instead of the OT box tends to create some breathing room for me to see how 2.0 shakes out before I have to make any ...decisions.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I am definitely part of the problem, because I am queuing up some preorders on CoolStuff ... :D

Honestly, this sounds like a great upgrade.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I found a full game playthrough of 2.0 with one of the devs.

https://youtu.be/3TxiyKlHeSU

Early take aways. It seems all "Bombers" have a default reload action so they essentially have infinite bombs or torpedoes.

If you give a Y-Wing a turret, it gets a little spinny turret direction marker like the Shadowcaster did in 1.0. You have to take an action to turn the turret's direction.

Not sure how "Red" actions on the action bars work. *Edit* Red actions seem to give stress.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    I found a full game playthrough of 2.0 with one of the devs.

https://youtu.be/3TxiyKlHeSU

Early take aways. It seems all "Bombers" have a default reload action so they essentially have infinite bombs or torpedoes.

If you give a Y-Wing a turret, it gets a little spinny turret direction marker like the Shadowcaster did in 1.0. You have to take an action to turn the turret's direction.

Not sure how "Red" actions on the action bars work.

They work like stress maneuvers.

Dude countered my conversion math on Facebook by saying it would cost him $100 to get upgrades for less than $100 of ships. It is a valid point, but I know very few people who have the core plus expansions and less than $100 in ships.

Also, yay for the upgrades being standard american size now!

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Real talk though, I'd pay good money for a fully featured, online version of this game. Tie it into the ships with registration or something, or make the whole thing online purchases. Whatever gets them paid.

That would be so good since I just can't get out that often to play, but would be able to at home via online. I know vassel exists, but I'd love an official game with super intuitive design, features, art, and sfx.

I have been talking about this for yeeeeears. I remember posting about how they needed to do this with 40k. Use the DoW2 Engine. ALL THE ASSETS ARE THERE. I buy a box of minis and I get a redeem code to put into the game to give me a digital version of the same stuff in game.

I don't know why companies aren't doing thisssssssss

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It's always possible there's licensing issues in there. Like, a digital version might fall under the Star Wars video game license, and that might cost $MegaBucks.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Gotta get a pre-order in for this. Unfortunately there's no license to distribute in Japan so I've got to go online. Anyone know of any good online retailers who don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping? Just calculated with coolstuffinc and the shipping estimate was $66US on $75 of product.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shipping is going to cost a lot to go from US to Japan (or vice versa). That's simply how it's going to be, unless you want to wait months for it to be shipped by boat.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Still far cheaper than 40k.

Sure but the comaprison these days isn't to 40k, it's to Shadespire. Might as well compare apples to apples.

I guess this 2.0 announcement is what my Shadespire friend who was "in the know" was talking about when he said I should be looking forward to getting excited about X-Wing again.

Personally don't know if this will pull me back in, I think Triplanes and Tripods will scratch this personal itch for me.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I am definitely part of the problem, because I am queuing up some preorders on CoolStuff ... :D

Honestly, this sounds like a great upgrade.

Are they giving the pre-order goodies? Not like I need to buy these since I have yet to play any of the game. Just asking for a "friend".

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Nax wrote: »

I have been talking about this for yeeeeears. I remember posting about how they needed to do this with 40k. Use the DoW2 Engine. ALL THE ASSETS ARE THERE. I buy a box of minis and I get a redeem code to put into the game to give me a digital version of the same stuff in game.

It's because these games live & die by their community and in 40k's case also the hobby. Taking away the meatspace requirement would destroy that. GW will never let you play actual 40k without selling you paint. Never.

Plus people are slightly less horrifyingly toxic & racist in person. Just for a second imagine what the online community for these games would be because if you think online forums for tabletop wargames are bad ...

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

It's because these games live & die by their community and in 40k's case also the hobby. Taking away the meatspace requirement would destroy that. GW will never let you play actual 40k without selling you paint. Never.

Plus people are slightly less horrifyingly toxic & racist in person. Just for a second imagine what the online community for these games would be because if you think online forums for tabletop wargames are bad ...

Oh I know that I know far too well

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular

Just like in the meatspace, I'd play with my friends.

FFG does it right and understands that all of the online tools that people use (Vassal, TTS, the new various other ways to play online) just grow the community and connect people who otherwise are unable to play together. The people that were going to show up in stores to play are still going to, and they'll bring in more by allowing more people to be introduced to it in a far easier way. They let those things go, but they would do much better to get their hands in it and do up something official

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    The pre-order bonus is an X-wing themed damage deck.

I'm watching Team Covenant's full game vid, and this is amazing. It is so cool seeing the X-wings and U-wing open and close their S-foils like I used to back in the video game, getting into better shot position and just generally kicking ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxiyKlHeSU