As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Hogwash

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Hogwash

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Einaudi-EnthusiastEinaudi-Enthusiast Registered User regular
    This is the kind of parent I intend to be.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Lootcrates! Skins! DLC!
    Also: A general chat which is uncomfortably sympathetic to white supremacy movements!
    Voldemort did nothing wrong!

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Lootcrates! Skins! DLC!
    Also: A general chat which is uncomfortably sympathetic to white supremacy movements!
    Voldemort did nothing wrong!

It IS difficult to get much whiter than corpse pale, I guess

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    So can we all agree that while "not a game" is a pretty lame criticism in most circumstances, it's a valid term for glorified storefronts/slot machines?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    10 points to Gatchador

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So can we all agree that while "not a game" is a pretty lame criticism in most circumstances, it's a valid term for glorified storefronts/slot machines?
    Oh, it's still a game. It's just not the one that the consumers are playing. The game is to accumulate wealth.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Thankfully Rowling has responded to concerns about diversity in the Potterverse by announcing that Voldemort was Jewish.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah the whole "you aren't a gamer" blah blah that gets attached to fun cell phone games or whatever the kids are into is one thing. These stupid "use your credit card as a weapon" type games are ridiculous. Like I played star wars galaxy of heroes and holy shit you can feel how that game wants you to constantly spend money.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    How is this Harry Potter game monetised anyway? From what I've seen it looks like some kind of standard RPG/open ended adventure. What exactly are people going to buy?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    How is this Harry Potter game monetised anyway? From what I've seen it looks like some kind of standard RPG/open ended adventure. What exactly are people going to buy?

You have a limited number of actions a day and you are encouraged to buy more to accomplish anything. And then there's this gem:
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The PA comic today is talking about a Harry Potter game that sounds amazing

jpg
    The first time the game engineers you will run out of energy is in its first action scene, where - creepily - your character is left in a life or death scenario while you wait half an hour to continue. Charitably you could say this energy system adds a certain cliffhanger-esque nature to Hogwarts Mystery - but the amount of energy needed is a completely arbitrary number, and one deliberately designed to fully deplete your energy bar. The game encourages you to make a purchase and continue immediately rather than wait and leave your avatar suffering. It is especially troubling when you consider the game's audience.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jesus jumped up Christ, that seems super slimy... Even by phone app standards.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Avada dinero!

• Options
    Napkin13Napkin13 Registered User new member
    Also, Dad doesn't want to buy you the game.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of those arcade gamed designed to eat your quarters.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Jesus jumped up Christ, that seems super slimy... Even by phone app standards.

Much like drug dealers, they know how to get ya

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    so, every mobile game?

• Options
    jwalk wrote: »
    so, every mobile game?

Well, run of the mill mobile games are like, real life drug dealers. This app is like the drug dealers in Just Say No cartoons who all but force the drugs down your throat.

• Options
    altdoomaltdoom Registered User regular
    He's got a point.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of those arcade gamed designed to eat your quarters.
    Except when Kid-me saw that buzzsaw slowly descending toward Ryu Hayabusa he felt more compelled to quietly turn around and walk far away than stick another quarter in.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Have mobile games reached the point yet where the game just says, "You are in an inescapable situation. You will die and have to start over entirely. Pay $20.00 to avoid dying and having to start over entirely"?

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Have mobile games reached the point yet where the game just says, "You are in an inescapable situation. You will die and have to start over entirely. Pay $20.00 to avoid dying and having to start over entirely"?

I'm sure someone somewhere has floated the idea at a Dev meeting.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    yyyyyeah, that's straight up evil.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I'm sure someone somewhere has floated the idea at a Dev meeting.
    It's all about phrasing things as a reward and not a punishment. If players think they are being punished for not paying, they will simply stop playing, whereas if players are rewarded for paying, they are more likely to pay. It goes hand and hand with the Skinner box mechanics. Use that psychological hammer.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    id rather just buy the game than deal with that kind of in purchase filth. But as the metrics shows, certain kinds of people are willing to drop way way way more money into this kind of thing and might purchase 10 people's copies of the game, and if you get a few more to spend *just* 5% or 10% more than they would have for a flat purchase, that gets the makers all kinds of increased salivation.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    as a part time whale, it's the absolute worst and i hate it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Yes actually. A lot of the Puzzle and Dragons style games have a Continue function where if you screw up midway through a series of dungeons, you can pay cash (or saved currency that is extremely limited to get you to spend cash) to continue or lose the whole run.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Man if this ain't the truth. The struggle playing these free to play games is the worst.