As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax 2018 Hype

• KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    KopeAcetic wrote: »
    Thoughts/guestimates on when they'll go up for sale!?

When are you least likely to be near a device with internet access?

Next Monday when I'm in flight all day :(.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

When are you least likely to be near a device with internet access?

Next Monday when I'm in flight all day :(.

*sets an alarm*

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Time to start panicking, and hope badges don't go on sale while I'm at work. Started working days at Amazon instead of nights at Walmart since PAX West last year, so it's not going to be as likely for me to get badges this year than last.

tw787Xr.png

• plktsplkts Mr. Vancouver Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Prices are up... I wonder if the increase in costs will help the event look and feel better then last year? Me thinks not.

plkts on
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Pax_badges was started after West last year. It is the account the badge notification will be sent from . If you are not following that account you will not be notified.

Good to know! This is why I join the SOON crowd, so I can drink and know things 8-)
    Notifications are set!!

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular

qdrabf9gmbow.png

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • JeiCosJeiCos Registered User regular
    Since I've never bought badges for PAX before, is a credit/debit card required? Or do they accept paypal? I don't have the kind of money to put the total amount on BOTH paypal and a card, so I need to have it on whichever one is required. Thanks.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    JeiCos wrote: »
    Since I've never bought badges for PAX before, is a credit/debit card required? Or do they accept paypal? I don't have the kind of money to put the total amount on BOTH paypal and a card, so I need to have it on whichever one is required. Thanks.

Credit card definitely. I don't think they accept PayPal.

IncreaseBlue on
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    I don't remember Paypal being an option in the year 2016, but who knows what could have happened in the year that I've been away. Safest bet is putting the money on the credit card.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Another big trap people fall into is PAX limits badge sales (historically 4 of each day) by address. If you, and your roommate/landlord/etc... all buy tickets, you may very well have them canceled and your money refunded. Same thing if you use the same credit card to 2 different addresses.

Plus, hotels usually open up shortly after badges do, and desirable places like The Sheraton fill up quicker (OnPeak doesn't have a queuing system so be prepared to have your reservation dissappear when you try to to complete it).

YoungFrey on
  • Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    I'm only freaking out a little bit... just a little bit... I have a love/hate relationship with this time of year!

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Prices for badges go up and my air fare goes up again as well. I'm still waiting for the drop. They were never this expensive last year.

CKing wrote: »
    Prices for badges go up and my air fare goes up again as well. I'm still waiting for the drop. They were never this expensive last year.

I would say be patient. I don't know where you're hailing from but I resigned myself to spending $400 a person on flight when they suddenly dropped. I hope it does the same for you!

CKing wrote: »

I would say be patient. I don't know where you're hailing from but I resigned myself to spending $400 a person on flight when they suddenly dropped. I hope it does the same for you!

I'll leave from BWI. I have the prices from late May-4 weeks before PAX from last year. Last year we paid about $500 per person. Right now it's $650 per person and we're looking to pay for the extra leg room. But if it doesn't drop during the 8-6 week before PAX period, that plan will be scrapped.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Is it just me or is the signature generator site down?

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    S2000Gan wrote: »

Unless something happened after I used it, it should be up.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    S2000Gan wrote: »

I currently can't connect to the signature generator.

edited May 2018
    I'm just barely awake, and Pax Checker gives me a false positive because the Showclix page for PAX Dev went up. Talk about a heart attack.

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

• Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    I'm just barely awake, and Pax Checker gives me a false positive because the Showclix page for PAX Dev went up. Talk about a heart attack.

At least you're on top of it!

• cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    I'm coming in much later than I usually do... so PAX Dev hasn't even gone on sale yet? We're probably safe for this week then?

cbellevie wrote: »
    I'm coming in much later than I usually do... so PAX Dev hasn't even gone on sale yet? We're probably safe for this week then?

Historically Dev has gone on sale at least a few weeks, if not a whole month, in advance of West. I think we're ok for a bit.

• KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular

Historically Dev has gone on sale at least a few weeks, if not a whole month, in advance of West. I think we're ok for a bit.

I hope this is true, if it goes on sale on or after the 24th of May I'll be happy!

Yes, this is what I'm basing my 'probably safe for this week'. I had assumed Dev had already gone on sale when I say the price updates for regular tickets and then was like, hm, why the hell am I sitting in front of my computer if Dev isn't even on sale yet...

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

We are never safe, but since they did badges in June for the past two years I think we are good for a while.

IhtGIyi.png
  • sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    My mind is telling me we might be safe in May but be on super high alert after Memorial Day.
    My heart is saying “Okay but what about if badges go on sale just before Memorial Day??”
    I hope the sale is in June because I just got back from vacation and my credit card hates me and I’m also Head Ticket Buyer for my friend group

sedirox on
    sedirox wrote: »
    My mind is telling me we might be safe in May but be on super high alert after Memorial Day.
    My heart is saying “Okay but what about if badges go on sale just before Memorial Day??”
    I hope the sale is in June because I just got back from vacation and my credit card hates me and I’m also Head Ticket Buyer for my friend group

This, 100%.

Went to Tokyo in April and despite people warning me that it is the best place on Earth to buy vinyl, I just didn't get it until I got there. And then my credit cards cried.

This, 100%.

Went to Tokyo in April and despite people warning me that it is the best place on Earth to buy vinyl, I just didn't get it until I got there. And then my credit cards cried.

Oh hey, I was in Tokyo in April too!!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just realized I'm one of the people in the audience in the "Registration Soon" image :bigfrown:

I assumed that we were safe today because of the Red Dead trailer. Though I think we'll be safe for a little bit longer. But I trust nothing.

• every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    so PAX Dev hasn't even gone on sale yet? We're probably safe for this week then?
    We are never safe, but since they did badges in June for the past two years I think we are good for a while.
    Agreed that we're never safe!! :o
    And that Dev registration will likely open up first as usual.

every day's great on

Oh hey, I was in Tokyo in April too!!

Thought it was pretty incredible, and now I can't wait to get back and explore other parts of Japan.

• JeiCosJeiCos Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Another big trap people fall into is PAX limits badge sales (historically 4 of each day) by address. If you, and your roommate/landlord/etc... all buy tickets, you may very well have them canceled and your money refunded. Same thing if you use the same credit card to 2 different addresses.

Plus, hotels usually open up shortly after badges do, and desirable places like The Sheraton fill up quicker (OnPeak doesn't have a queuing system so be prepared to have your reservation dissappear when you try to to complete it).

Nah I don’t have to worry about that. My friend and I are the only ones buying badges and we live in separate cities so we won’t even reach that cap with 1 for each day we are getting (or hoping to get anyway).

Also good on hotel. We can’t afford one anyway. I and another friend took the metro last year and it was just fine. There’s a bus that goes from down the road from my house, to a couple blocks from WSCC.

People... No one is ever safe until registration opens, and this discussion inevitably comes up. So I thought i would throw in something I put together to help with speculation and SOONers discussion.

I know this quote is from a while ago and some of the process might have changed but this is the general order of steps up til PAX:
    Good question. There are a number of "public" milestone dates that we have, many of which need to occur in this order... I know I'm missing a few.

- Website Update for the new year
    - Space placement for Exhibitors
    - PAX 10 Submissions Open
    - Registration Opening
    - Musical Guest / Storytime announcement
    - Panel Registration Opening
    - PAX 10 Winners Announced
    - Enforcer Roll Call (Internal)
    - Panel Announcement
    - Guidebook release

But each of these has about 10-20 sub-steps that need to occur before happening. For instance, the PAX 10 Judging itself is a large physical event with industry judges that we run with all the games up and running... and getting those into workable states usually takes a few weeks. The process is ~200-300 man hours easily.

However, if you look at where we currently are in the above steps PAX 10 Submissions Open, registration is the next step.

Trying to make a logical time between the two is hit or miss though.
    In 2016 PAX 10 subs opened on May 3rd (reference tweet) and went on sale 5 weeks later on June 7th (reference tweet)

But in 2017 they opened on April 10th (reference tweet) but still didn't go on sale a full 8 weeks later until Jun 8th (reference tweet)

2018 PAX 10 Submissions went up a week later than last year being opened on April 17th.

As for further back it gets completely different, 2015 PAX 10 Submissions were opened on April 20th (reference tweet), but tickets went on sale a mere 3 weeks later on May 7th (reference tweet, Coincidentally 2015 was the last year that PAX officially called it PAX Prime.)

2014 PAX 10 opened on May 16th (Reference Tweet) and in less than two weeks Registration opened on May 28th (Reference Tweet)

What all this means? I don't think there is any correlation other than PAX 10 Submissions opened then some time after Registration opens, and right now we are in that "some time after" period. Also, I was bored at work and this occupied a little bit of my day 8-)

Stay vigilant F5ers!

sEf3HzW.png
    Given that the PAX twitter account is advertising Unplugged sales, I think we're still safe for a while.

tw787Xr.png

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    Given that the PAX twitter account is advertising Unplugged sales, I think we're still safe for a while.

Unless... that's just what they want you to think

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
    I'm hoping that they are setting a trend for the first week of June.

The thought process behind it for me is that with PAX South and in full swing, and Unplugged going into it's sophomore year, they now have some numbers on the affect they have on Prime. They should be able to get a baseline and workflow process for each PAX as they come through. The PAX tickets were generally in April until they started adding other PAX to the year, and that is going to come with a learning curve of work allocation for sure. I'm just hoping that they have crested the curve and have a pretty good idea for deadlines and milestones.

Believe me, I understand how much of a pain project management is. No one like to have a variable deadline or milestone from year to year for a set annual event. From a business standpoint it is way more cost effective to know who needs to do what and when, especially when having to include 3rd party contractors and partners.

The "Space placement for Exhibitors" part in particular would be a huge turn off to exhibitors if they didn't know when they were going to be able to work out a space at an annual event that they repeatedly go to. My company does a trade show circuit for our industry, and we almost always have a good idea of when we need to plan for them every year. We have removed shows from the schedule because they didn't have a set date of show planning.

sEf3HzW.png
    Dev badges just went on sale. SOON levels amplified.

• every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    So dev just went on sale... :o

$210 for the full weekend...

I was just trying to sing along with Todrick Hall and my heart literally skipped. I'm usually pretty calm, but this got me.

This discussion has been closed.