As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I've always been interested in a Skaven army and it is far off from happening but I'm trying to figure out how I'd start an army up and it seems very confusing.

What exactly do I need to get this started? I saw a codex for Skaven but it looks like it is for a faction of Skaven and doesn't list all the units.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would say the start collecting sets as they are really good starters for building a army

I too have toyed around with the idea of building a skaven army {or an army for Warhammer} for years
    The Dark elves I found appealing and now the Daughters of Khaine but I really don't know anyone who plays the game so I am content with just painting for now.
    Just my brother has shown some interest but he wants to know more about the high elves or whatever they are called now and What were called the wood elves
    In general since GW is on a elf binge he says he will wait and see

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I've always been interested in a Skaven army and it is far off from happening but I'm trying to figure out how I'd start an army up and it seems very confusing.

What exactly do I need to get this started? I saw a codex for Skaven but it looks like it is for a faction of Skaven and doesn't list all the units.

Unfortunately Skaven are in a bit of a limbo state at the moment (along with several other older WHFB armies).
    The Skaven 'faction' got split up into several sub-factions representing the various clans of the skaven, the only one of which that currently has a book is Clans Pestilens, covering plague monks and such, whilst Clan Skyre has some unique rules available in the 2017 General's Handbook.

On the plus side this does mean you're not missing out on grabbing all of the Skaven warscrolls for free off of the GW website, but unfortunately they're not a very coherent faction at the moment due to being split into several separate keywords without much interaction between them.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The only start collecting for Skaven is for clan Pestilens (which might be the army book as well).

If you’ve no interest in that side of things, and instead are more interested in clan rats (verminous which is in the army book), then your best bet is the old fantasy starter set Isle of Blood (also renamed Spire of Dawn) if you can track a cheap one down.

Clan Skyre is pretty expensive considering weapon teams and acolytes (globadiers) aren’t in plastic. Hopefully when GW get around to Skaven we see some really crazy Skaven tech.

PSN Fleety2009
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I don't mean to turn you away, I just want to say be cautious about pestilens. It might not have what you are looking for out of a skaven force.

Pestilens has an army book, but its all fluff (except battalions, which are now mostly too expensive to use(I hate to say it, but you need like 1 or 2 battalion profiles from the book, and the book isn't worth the cost if you can find the information elsewhere). Their important rules are in the latest generals handbook.

Pestilens are probably the most rule heavy/intensive army I've seen. Check the warscroll for plague monks, an entire page for 10 model units that has 2 banners, 2 musicians, and 2 choices for the leader. They benefited an insane amount by the allies rules as they lack anything that can take a hit. Their centerpiece model only exists to be their lone magic caster, with a really good command ability. It sucks in combat. Their buffs require you to be good or advanced at model positioning 40 model units.

Their complexity to competitiveness ratio is terrible. I like playing with them, and its totally not because I painted up over 2k points worth. But facing the decision again I would have picked something else. If you are prone to sometimes forgetting about a buff, or to roll a dice for a thing, this army isn't for you because those are all major components to make the army work at all.

So the good side? The start collecting boxes are incredible and if its the army for you, buying 2-3 of them will be the bulk of any force. They come with enough parts to kit bash a ton of extra stuff. If you can find other rat models you can use the extra stuff to make censor bearers which are insanely priced finecast models(to the point of you dont actually need them in any force), and each box has the parts to convert a grey seer into a plague priest. You will probably want a verminlord corrupter at some point on top of 2-3 SC boxes.

edit: Other parts of skaven have some options, but are also not notably 'horde style'. Skyre has some elite stormfiends which are excellent models and very competitive. I would say you have to be careful building a list with a lot of stormfiends, if you go overboard, they can turn you into 'that guy' pretty quickly. Otherwise skyre at large is pretty shooty and fun. Sadly they dont have a SC box. I agree with others you should try to find a start collecting box you like.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The Skaven seem like a prime candidate for a Legions of Nagash style book to bring them inline with the newer factions to my eye; different rules for the various clans, and a combined Masterclan option. A lot of the models are still pretty decent and they're probably one of the more recognisable, or at least unique, elements of GW fantasy IP.

I'm heading to the 3rd heat of the grant tournament at Warhammer World in June, I made it to the finals last year, so we'll see if I can repeat the performance now that my preferred army has, like, an actual book and rules of their own.

My planned list:

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
    Temple Affiliation: Hagg Nar

Morathi (Mindrazor)
    Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (General, Amulet of Dark Fire, Devoted Disciples, Blessing of Khaine)
    Hag Queen (Sacrament of Blood)
    Hag Queen (Catechism of Murder)
    30x Witch Aelves (Twin daggers)
    10x Witch Aelves (Twin daggers)
    10x Sisters of Slaughter
    15x Melusai Blood Sisters
    5x Khinerae Heartrenders
    5x Khinerae Heartrenders

I'm still not totally sold on Morathi in a competitive context, but it would be rude to take the DoK out for their inaugural big break and not bring the boss along.
    Now I just need to build/paint all these snakes before then...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Updates for...dark elves?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    I was wondering what form Warhammer Legends was going to take, a nice gesture at least, and it'd be fairly easy to come up with some rough points values if you want to play friendly matched play games with older armies.

Interesting change to the wording of command abilities too, different to how they're worded in present battlescrolls, perhaps an indicator of what's to come in this year's General's Handbook? (Or AoS 2.0 if those rumours shake out to be anything).

@Halos Nach Tariff Just started building some witch aelves, any tips?
    i think i'll leave the hair off to paint separately, can i put any hair on any body or do i need to put them on specific body/heads?

Yeah, you'll definitely want to leave the hair off, otherwise the backs and some arm combinations are basically impossible to get a brush too. You can just glue the face piece to the neck and slot the hair in after painting.
    The hair does match with specific bodies only, so it's worth keeping the instruction manual around so it's easier to match them up (though it is easy enough to work it out via dry-fitting too).

Also maybe worth noting that the kit is kinda limited in posing options, with only five bodies available and a few arm swaps for variation, so if you're planning on building loads of them it might be worth finding some dark eldar knives and stuff to mix things up a bit.

awesome, thanks!

So the sea elves are what were the dark elves?
    Are they going to do or have they done a book for what was called the high elves?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I guess that'll be Tyrion's elves. No timeframe or even something like concept sketches for them yet.

So far we've only seen models for elves on the darker side I think. Deepkin, Daughters of Khaine and Shadowkin.

(although technically Deepkin are souls from all the old elven factions)

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Wake me up when we get to Malerion's horror elves.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So the sea elves are what were the dark elves?
    Are they going to do or have they done a book for what was called the high elves?

The Idoneth Deepkin were created by Teclis who was using the souls taken from Slaneesh when it ate all the Elf souls when the old world blew up.

A White Dwarf mentioned one of the designers couldn't wait to see what Malerion does with the souls he has. Implying that an evil elf faction will happen sooner or later.

I now have the Idoneth Deepkin Battletome, it has some really good synergies.

Not sure if I'll collect them or not, I'm a crap painter and skin/scales have always been difficult.

SharpyVII on
    Well I too am interesting in what Malerion does hopefully it's not the body horror stuff

I am not a crap painter just really out of practice just the constant wind and my tanking attitude as of late has prevented me from painting

Malerion is palling around with 'shadowy demons' from the realm of shadows, as far as we know at present, which in fairness could translate to just about anything. I suspect it'll be a while before we see more on that front, unless the tie it into a Slaanesh update perhaps.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The elves from Silver Tower are still likely to be our first and only look at horror elves so far. The Mistweaver in particular, I think.

Dr_Keenbean on
    Maybe Dark Eldar Mandrakes will become usable in AoS, they are shadow daemons after all.

Reading the Idoneth Deepkin book, it says Teclis, Tyrion and Malerion worked together to extract the souls from Slaanesh after they trapped him.

They agreed to split the souls taken from him between them.

The souls that became the Idoneth went to Teclis.

So that potentially means that they'll be a new Aelf faction for Tyrion and Malerion.

I wonder what Teclis did after his elves ran off. Did he take another swing at it or is just sitting around now?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Daughters of Khaine book adds more lore, revealing that the three gods recruited Morthai to help them and that she claims some of Malerion's share of souls. That's where her newest servants come from and why they're so snakey.

Also has this bit:
    In Hysh luminous beings and angelic creatures of reason were born, while those Malerion took to Ulgu were formed into something darker, something majestic and terrible at the same time.

Body-horror/draconic elves bring the Legion of Everblight from Hordes to mind, but I don't imagine Games Workshop will go that route. I think it'll be less horrific gribbly mish-mash and more majestic draconic/aelven hybrid creatures. Though, there might be some hideous monsters at their disposal, since Daughters also mentions the creation of 'monstrous creatures' in Ulgu that Malerion covered up.

H9f4bVe.png
    The only art we've seen so far of Malerion does point towards draconic, but he certainly ain't majestic.

Plus I think Tyrion's folks are going to be the dragon/phoenix knight ones.

I just want shadowy madness horror elves so bad. Is that too much to ask, GW?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The only art we've seen so far of Malerion does point towards draconic, but he certainly ain't majestic.

Well, hey, listen.

latest?cb=20170626193952

Eye of the beholder and all that.

H9f4bVe.png
    Can't find the video on YouTube to link to but according to their Facebook page "something big" is coming tomorrow at Warhammer fest for age of sigmar.

The video doesn't show anything, just a bunch of people reacting.

There were rumours abounding an AoS 2nd edition, or similar, but I don't think that's really much of a big hype announcement. We know there's probably some sort of magic supplement incoming, but that could be part of the same thing? And, again, not necessarily a big wow reveal.

A new starter box with new models, perhaps, or something completely off the wall like this 40k rogue trader thing which popped out of nowhere.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    How many types of elves can there be?

I just hope this isn't like when they were hyping up a massive reveal for 40k and it was … Custodes and 1k Sons getting codexes which was beyond lame because everyone knew that was going to happen anyway.

I think it'd be harder to fumble like that for AoS, since it's damn near impossible to tell what they're going to do next. A new faction could be anything. And I think any old factions brought back in some new incarnation would be something people'd be pretty happy to see revived, i.e. Tomb Kings or Chaos Dwarves.

Hopefully its not just, like, Super-Sigmarines. Although at least there'd be something hilarious about that.

Sixteen!

H9f4bVe.png
    edited May 2018
    New edition of Age of Sigmar had been confirmed:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/11/warhammer-fest-live-blog-2gw-homepage-post-1/

The image tagline says : expanded narrative, refined gameplay and cinematic sorcery

SharpyVII on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Well, Warcraft's up to:
    1. OG Night Elves
    2. modern Night Elves
    3. Dire Maul Night Elves
    4. Nightborne
    5. High Elves
    6. Silver Covenant High Elves
    7. Blood Elves
    8. Felblood Elves
    9. Sanlayn (sp? the vampire bat-morph undead elves)
    10. Whatever special kind of undead elf Sylvanas and her Dark Rangers are
    11. Void Elves
    12. Harpies
    13. Naga
    14. Satyrs
    And that's excluding the Dryads, Keepers of the Grove, and their related races which just kinda look like Night Elves.

How many elf races are there in D&D? I'll bet it's more than WH or WC.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Some pics sneaking out:

hnzb3czqreuv.png
    vgaoc98oflqq.png
    5bo0pz2jwgxv.png
    0cxllvv7zeme.png

Also looks like there's going to be an AoS CCG of some sort, and warhammer community are starting up an AoS podcast called the Stormcast which, alright, pretty good.
    With a new edition looks like a new death/stormcast starter set is basically a guarantee.
    I can't imagine that there'll be a huge shakeup of the core rules, given that the latest battletomes were likely written with this in mind, maybe.

Probably explains why the rules weren't included with the recent new Battletomes. I have noticed the wording or some rules in the Idoneth Deepkin book seems slightly different.

H3Knuckles wrote: »

Well, Warcraft's up to:
    1. OG Night Elves
    2. modern Night Elves
    3. Dire Maul Night Elves
    4. Nightborne
    5. High Elves
    6. Silver Covenant High Elves
    7. Blood Elves
    8. Felblood Elves
    9. Sanlayn (sp? the vampire bat-morph undead elves)
    10. Whatever special kind of undead elf Sylvanas and her Dark Rangers are
    11. Void Elves
    12. Harpies
    13. Naga
    14. Satyrs
    And that's excluding the Dryads, Keepers of the Grove, and their related races which just kinda look like Night Elves.

How many elf races are there in D&D? I'll bet it's more than WH or WC.

I have no idea how many type of elves in D&D are there

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Heh. Seems like quite a few people have fallen madly in love with that Stormcast on the programme cover; she’s definitely a hit.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I was tempted to spam the thread with images of the fun new models, but I guess this is probably more efficient:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWljwmoaVAU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9daI6m4KsM

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Minion #1: “Sigmar, my liege… you can’t solve all your problems by opening new Chambers, …”

SIGMAR, LORD OF SIGMARON, interrupting: “THE HELL I CAN’T!” *punches The Button*

The Button: OPEN ANOTHER CHAMBER

Damn, GW…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited May 2018
    The previews of the be magic effects also shows a be female stormcast wizard. Also that beast mag effect is the best.

Also Gotrek is back and they got BRIAN BLESSED to voice him?!

honovere on
    Yeah, a few lady stormcast showing up in this release, nice to see even if they are saddled with the classic titty armour look.
    I'm quite impressed with the variety in design they've managed to wrangle out of spooky bedsheet ghosts too.

edited May 2018
    I don't know why they went with the boob sock armour again after they didn't with the shadespire model.

Edit: the wizard with the fire spell effect actually has that armour design from shadespire I think.

honovere on
This discussion has been closed.