As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legal Eagle [Phalla] - IT'S OVER - VILLAGE VICTORY

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    I legit just had to be out of internet except for intermittent phone access for days 2-4.

It’s cool! I’m sorry I was going so hard after you, although it really did look suspicious.

One thing that I am really happy about though, is that I didn’t try to force the vote on your at the ending of the day like I might have in the past. One of the nice things about being a little older and wiser is that you gets lot more comfortable with letter other people make their own decisions. And that that can often be better than mine.

I rolled out of bed, checked my phone, saw Gizzy pm'd me asking if I thought you were fishing for mafia, didn't really understand what that meant and posted a defense. Then hours later I came back to her PM and realized that I shouldn't have defended myself and see what happened from there.

I'll say to everyone who thinks I'm a good player because I host a lot, that's not how things work. It was hilarious to see my public opinion go from No one can be that good day 1 (ZH was mostly a lucky guess from a pool of inactives) to Worst DA ever, didn't hit any mafia (HEY ZH). Ah well. ♥ you all. I felt like I could have done a lot better if I could only keep track of all former posts. I went through @Brody 's posts and it looked bad to me, but nope. I didn't have time to do that again. It didn't help that I had a crazy week what with missing work for kindergarten orientation, trying to catch up at work and also my grandmother was in the hospital (came home today!)

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yesss I am the best bait

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Day one you almost had two of us. Yesterday you almost had three of us.

Damn right I was desperate.

Told you, chamberlain is always mafia! Judges didn't trust me

Hey I backed you up with a pretty amazing worthless argument there.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Also since I didn't get a chance to use this all game

*clears throat and looks at mafia*
    https://youtu.be/4GcgS79_TR0

LostNinja on
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Oh.
    If you were actually an SK @Mamawolf then I have absolutely no problems with any of that :P

<3 I appreciate that

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    ZH1kcYj.png

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Still trying to come to grips with my apparent mafianess. Mostly I was trying to be helpful while coming to grips with the mechanics, especially after missing day 1. Still happy to survive almost to the end!

PSN: the-K-flash
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Just for the record @kime. You're investigation....trash bin again.

Covered in garbage all game

Who were you investigating?

Guard_Butz_Sweating.gif

discrider on
  • SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Still trying to come to grips with my apparent mafianess. Mostly I was trying to be helpful while coming to grips with the mechanics, especially after missing day 1. Still happy to survive almost to the end!

For what it’s worth, I thought you were a villager!

kuhlmeye wrote: »

I was also petitioning for your survival. I wanted Jpants on chamberlain too to prevent any hiccups.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Haha!

Yes!

Village special replacement for the win!!

Take. That.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oh good, I got back before Locus. That means I can go first.

Let’s clear some stuff up real quick before he says otherwise.

Things Locus did:
    Design the game
    Write all narrations
    Have all the cool legal responses (thread and PM)

Things Austin did:
    Ask a bunch of questions when Locus shares the design
    Make a tracking spreadsheet
    Put stuff in spreadsheet
    Answer questions while Locus wasn’t around, probably using fancy legal jargon Locus had already written

This wasn’t an equal effort here,I was the Bull Shannon to his Harry T. Stone. This design was awesome and he deserves all the praise for this.

Who made the law firm from car talk the bad guys? I miss car talk.
    When will Carmen Sandiego be brought to justice?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    Who made the law firm from car talk the bad guys? I miss car talk.
    When will Carmen Sandiego be brought to justice?

No lie - I’ve had an idea for a Carmen San Diego phalla in my head for 6 years now.

Though it would require a few more people than we are currently getting.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Hey, shout out to both @SaberOverEasy and @chamberlain it was great working with both of you.

SOE I had a blast trying to figure out what the heck was going on with you both in PMs and later in thread. I think we got pretty close to what was actually going on in the end.

Chamberlain, I trusted you and you broke my heart, I hope to return the favor some game.

Oh and before I forget, than you @Locus for letting me help out. I’ve had two bad runs hosting on my own, so it was nice to finally shake the stink off my hosting past :D

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Hey so I don't really play anymore and probably a lot of you don't really remember me but I just wanted to let Austin and Locus and all the people who were playing know that I was following along and really enjoying this just as an observer. Excellent design and great play (at least from the village, always hard to notice good mafia play in a game with hidden mechanics like this one). Well done all around.

Edit: Also shit hiding alignment but letting dead people talk is such a great idea everyone should do that if at all possible. It just solves so many problems simultaneously.

CesareB on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    First of all, thank you to AustinP0027 for all of his help. Do not let him undersell his contribution.

So, my goal for this game was to try and increase thread activity. For the last while the game threads have become very quiet, especially towards the end of the game. I wanted to try and make a game where that wouldn't happen. Everything else flowed from that goal.

Every mechanic was created with that goal in mind (or to counteract unintended consequences of another mechanic). So dead posting was added (and stolen blatantly from one of 38thDoe's phallas). But that creates the problem of an ever-expanding confirmed-villager network. So a restriction on PMing was put in place for the dead. And death results were obscured.

Extra elections were added to give players more things to discuss, and more things to consider in their decision-making.

The "action" system was put in place for two reasons. One, to give players yet another thing to discuss. Two, to give "vanilla" roles something to do (other than speculate).

The end result of putting all of these systems in place was that the village ended up with a lot of potential information at their fingertips. Given all the public information available, I decided that a seer for the village would just be too powerful. I figured there would be more than enough information for the village to parse to try and figure out who the mafia was.

Once the seer was out, I thought I might as well try and get rid of the rest of the traditional village roles. Guard was easy to eliminate, since I don't like guards very much to begin with. Vigilante was absorbed into the action system through the presence of the two DAs. This gave the players input into who their vigilantes were, and potentially gave multiple people the opportunity to fill that role. With the traditional roles gone, I replaced them with game-specific roles meant specifically to interact with what made this game unique: the action system.

So from there I figured, why can't the mafia use the DAs as well? Taking the kill away from the mafia was not a decision I made lightly. I went back and forth a lot about that, since I didn't want them to feel powerless. To compensate, I gave them a suite of abilities that paralleled the village specials. This also forced more activity, since the mafia couldn't just sit back in the shadows and wait out the village. If they wanted to win, they would have to take advantage of the action system generally and the criminal action system specifically, which meant they'd have to make some effort in public.

The SK was added for spice, and to get another guaranteed kill in there.

And that's the general overview of my thought process. I have more I want to say about how things shook out, what I liked, and what I would change. But I am tired so I will make that post tomorrow. Austin can feel free to post all the role PMs if you like, otherwise I'll do it tomorrow.

I hope everyone had fun, and that no one got too frustrated with how anything went down.

CesareB wrote: »
    Hey so I don't really play anymore and probably a lot of you don't really remember me but I just wanted to let Austin and Locus and all the people who were playing know that I was following along and really enjoying this just as an observer. Excellent design and great play (at least from the village, always hard to notice good mafia play in a game with hidden mechanics like this one). Well done all around.

If you get 5 awesome on a post need to come back and play.

That’s the LAW!

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Locus wrote: »
    So, my goal for this game was to try and increase thread activity. For the last while the game threads have become very quiet, especially towards the end of the game. I wanted to try and make a game where that wouldn't happen. Everything else flowed from that goal.

Mission: Accomplished

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Also, I was serious before. If anyone has any questions about design choices or whatever, just let me know and I'll answer them tomorrow.

@Locus Having not played phalla at all for two years, I’m really happy that I ended up in this one on my first time back. It was enjoyable, well thought out, and has made me look forward to the next one!

Thank you!

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Locus wrote: »

Mission: Accomplished

Also, a very good goal. These last couple days were crazy busy in this thread and it made a ton of fun to keep up with everything. This was a good phalla.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

That’s the LAW!

But I quit in a huff and a huff is a kind of precedent and I don't know what kind of a barbarian you take me for but in this court we RESPECT precedent.
    So we'll call it a maybe. Now get back to discussions and congratulations!

That’s the LAW!

Yes, but I'll think you'll find he has more than that.
    So I don't think he's in breach

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @Locus @AustinP0027 that was super fun, thank you for hosting!

38thDoe, Gizzy, MamaWolf - really enjoyed working with you, until MamaWolf betrayed and convicted me. :lol:

SaberOverEasy and everyone else - missed you! Was glad to get back to Phalla with you, this was super fun and we gotta do this again sometime soon.

Role PMs:
    Village Role PMs
    You are a solo practitioner! When you graduated from law school, you didn’t move to the big city to join a big law firm to work for big corporations. No, you chose to hang up your own shingle and help out the little guy. Now it seems the little guy needs you more than ever, as corporate America looks to take every last bite out of the American Dream. But not on your watch.

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to the village.

You are an appellate attorney! You specialize in appealing rulings that, in your humble opinion, the court got dead wrong. You are a skilled writer, an expert orator, and a master of persuasion. You are fairly certain you could convince anyone of anything, just as long as you’re getting paid for the privilege.

Each day, you may choose to appeal the ruling of one civil action that had previously been decided. That ruling will be reversed immediately upon the hosts receiving your order.

You are a member of a limited liability partnership! Not everyone has the courage to strike out on their own, and there are benefits to having someone working towards the same goals as you. Being in a partnership with another attorney has its benefits, allowing you to collaborate and minimize the risk to the organization as a whole. But there are risks to being in a small firm, and if one of you goes down there’s a very real possible they’ll take the other one down with you.

You and your partner are both villagers. If one of you is either disbarred or convicted, there is a 50% chance the other player will be disbarred or convicted (whichever happened to the first player) on the same day. If a civil action is brought against one of you, the ruling on that action is considered binding on both of you.

You are a plaintiffs’ attorney! You’ve spent your whole career fighting for those who have been wronged to get the justice they deserve. As a result, you’ve spent more time in the courtroom than anyone else, and you know your way around the system better than any other attorney out there. It might be time to put that knowledge to good use, and see if you can’t use the justice system to bring home yet another victory.

You may file up to three civil actions per day.

You are a political donor! You take some of your hard-earned money and turn it into donations to the political campaigns of those running for office. Unlike some of the other attorneys out there, you are not so naive. You know how the game is played, and that doing a little favor for someone now can get you a big favor later.

Once during the game, you may force a District Attorney to bring criminal charges against the player of your choice. Once per day, you may force a Judge to vote a certain way on a particular matter. You may use both of these abilities on the same day.

You are an investigator! No attorney worth their salt goes into a courtroom battle without knowing all of the facts first. The trial attorneys may get all the headlines, but it’s the lawyers laying the groundwork who set the stage for the ultimate victory. Knowledge is power, and your expertise is acquiring knowledge.

Each night, you may choose one player. You will learn if that player used a special ability or brought a civil action, and against whom the ability was used or the action was brought.

You are a defense attorney! Everyone is entitled to a legal defense, and you’re just the person for the job. The billable hour is your best friend, because you can spend as much time as necessary to get the job done. Well, as long as your clients can pay for it. Which they usually can, because your greatest strength is getting your clients out of pickles. And there are quite a few pickles to be found nowadays.

Each night, you may choose one player. All of the civil actions brought against that player that day will be dismissed without prejudice.

Mafia Role PM
    You are a partner in the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, LLP, one of the largest law firms in the world! The firm’s goal, ever since Archibald Dewey, Ennis Cheatham, and Franklin Howe III first became partners in 1876, was total legal domination. Over the next century and a half, the firm has only gained even more power, with some of the wealthiest and most powerful corporations in the world as clients. While all of those solo practitioners are not much more than the buzzing of flies to a firm as big as yours, flies can be really annoying and total legal domination would certainly be a more pleasant experience without them gumming up the works. So your practice group has been assigned to take them down by whatever (legal) means necessary.

Win condition: Eliminate all players who are not partners of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, LLP.

Each night, as a group, you may use any or all of the following abilities. The firm must have at least one attorney in good standing per ability used. For example, if there are only three partners remaining who are neither disbarred nor convicted, the firm may only use three abilities per night. This rule applies to civil and criminal actions as well.

Abilities
    Appellate attorney - Each day, you may choose to appeal the ruling of one civil action that had previously been decided. That ruling will be reversed immediately upon the hosts receiving your order.

Political donor - Once during the game, you may force a District Attorney to bring criminal charges against the player of your choice. Once per day, you may force a Judge to vote a certain way on a particular matter. You may use both of these abilities on the same day.

Investigator - Each night, you may choose one player. You will learn if that player used a special ability or brought a civil action, and against whom the ability was used or the action was brought.

Defense attorney - Each night, you may choose one player. All of the civil actions brought against that player that day will be dismissed without prejudice.

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Role PMs:
    Village Role PMs
    You are a solo practitioner! When you graduated from law school, you didn’t move to the big city to join a big law firm to work for big corporations. No, you chose to hang up your own shingle and help out the little guy. Now it seems the little guy needs you more than ever, as corporate America looks to take every last bite out of the American Dream. But not on your watch.

You are an appellate attorney! You specialize in appealing rulings that, in your humble opinion, the court got dead wrong. You are a skilled writer, an expert orator, and a master of persuasion. You are fairly certain you could convince anyone of anything, just as long as you’re getting paid for the privilege.

Each day, you may choose to appeal the ruling of one civil action that had previously been decided. That ruling will be reversed immediately upon the hosts receiving your order.

You are a member of a limited liability partnership! Not everyone has the courage to strike out on their own, and there are benefits to having someone working towards the same goals as you. Being in a partnership with another attorney has its benefits, allowing you to collaborate and minimize the risk to the organization as a whole. But there are risks to being in a small firm, and if one of you goes down there’s a very real possible they’ll take the other one down with you.

You and your partner are both villagers. If one of you is either disbarred or convicted, there is a 50% chance the other player will be disbarred or convicted (whichever happened to the first player) on the same day. If a civil action is brought against one of you, the ruling on that action is considered binding on both of you.

You are a plaintiffs’ attorney! You’ve spent your whole career fighting for those who have been wronged to get the justice they deserve. As a result, you’ve spent more time in the courtroom than anyone else, and you know your way around the system better than any other attorney out there. It might be time to put that knowledge to good use, and see if you can’t use the justice system to bring home yet another victory.

You may file up to three civil actions per day.

You are a political donor! You take some of your hard-earned money and turn it into donations to the political campaigns of those running for office. Unlike some of the other attorneys out there, you are not so naive. You know how the game is played, and that doing a little favor for someone now can get you a big favor later.

Once during the game, you may force a District Attorney to bring criminal charges against the player of your choice. Once per day, you may force a Judge to vote a certain way on a particular matter. You may use both of these abilities on the same day.

You are an investigator! No attorney worth their salt goes into a courtroom battle without knowing all of the facts first. The trial attorneys may get all the headlines, but it’s the lawyers laying the groundwork who set the stage for the ultimate victory. Knowledge is power, and your expertise is acquiring knowledge.

Each night, you may choose one player. You will learn if that player used a special ability or brought a civil action, and against whom the ability was used or the action was brought.

You are a defense attorney! Everyone is entitled to a legal defense, and you’re just the person for the job. The billable hour is your best friend, because you can spend as much time as necessary to get the job done. Well, as long as your clients can pay for it. Which they usually can, because your greatest strength is getting your clients out of pickles. And there are quite a few pickles to be found nowadays.

Each night, you may choose one player. All of the civil actions brought against that player that day will be dismissed without prejudice.

Mafia Role PM
    You are a partner in the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, LLP, one of the largest law firms in the world! The firm’s goal, ever since Archibald Dewey, Ennis Cheatham, and Franklin Howe III first became partners in 1876, was total legal domination. Over the next century and a half, the firm has only gained even more power, with some of the wealthiest and most powerful corporations in the world as clients. While all of those solo practitioners are not much more than the buzzing of flies to a firm as big as yours, flies can be really annoying and total legal domination would certainly be a more pleasant experience without them gumming up the works. So your practice group has been assigned to take them down by whatever (legal) means necessary.

Win condition: Eliminate all players who are not partners of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, LLP.

Each night, as a group, you may use any or all of the following abilities. The firm must have at least one attorney in good standing per ability used. For example, if there are only three partners remaining who are neither disbarred nor convicted, the firm may only use three abilities per night. This rule applies to civil and criminal actions as well.

Abilities
    Appellate attorney - Each day, you may choose to appeal the ruling of one civil action that had previously been decided. That ruling will be reversed immediately upon the hosts receiving your order.

Political donor - Once during the game, you may force a District Attorney to bring criminal charges against the player of your choice. Once per day, you may force a Judge to vote a certain way on a particular matter. You may use both of these abilities on the same day.

Investigator - Each night, you may choose one player. You will learn if that player used a special ability or brought a civil action, and against whom the ability was used or the action was brought.

Defense attorney - Each night, you may choose one player. All of the civil actions brought against that player that day will be dismissed without prejudice.

I didn't see my PM....you want to post it or shall I?

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    Whoops, missed that below mafia.

Serial Killer
    You are a federal prosecutor! Armed with the power of the United States government, you have been tasked with rooting out corruption wherever it may be found. No individual is too insignificant, no corporation too powerful, to avoid your watchful gaze. You will stop at nothing to bring justice to those who deserve it, even if it means crossing a line or two of your own.

Each night, you may choose one player to bring criminal charges against. That player will be convicted. This counts as a special ability.

In addition, you may bring one civil action per day.

Win condition: Be the only player who is neither convicted nor disbarred.

Also, just numbers I grabbed because I was curious.

This game had:
    An average of 103 votes a day (judges+da+disbar)

58 cases in total opened (Average of 11.6 a day)

Not including the 245 messages that Locus and I sent each other, we exchanged/were a part of/read 1,230 PMs.

I swear to god, when the robot uprising comes, I'm going to find the spam filter on this board and just go apeshit on it. I spent more time waiting for that 60 seconds to roll over than most anything else I did.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Huzzah, we won. Sorry I didn't catch my ability, it would have at least been nice to have the information for the village.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I'm glad I was totally the lynchpin of our victory, as always.

@MamaWolf Never. This grudge will last until this worlds bones are dust. Or until I forget.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    So Mama could keep vigging after death?

Apparently

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Didn't she say the mafia absorbed her ability and she was able to read their proboard and such after death?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Not really.

Mafia got her kill. She couldn’t be used for a mafia power, they had to have someone else available to assign to that power.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thank you guys for letting me play

Was a ridiculous amount of fun, even though I only got about 1 hour of play a day.

But coming back to 200+ posts to read every morning for a Phalla was some serious old school happy memories.

It was amazing.

Thank you so much for the fun times, I appreciate it greatly.

End of July I have 2 weeks off of work. I will possibly be trying to get a phalla together for playing over that time.
    Just something for people to think of if they're interested.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    @Locus @AustinP0027

Did you anticipate a lot more nonsense posting restrictions to pass than what we actually voted through?

Just curious. If you had started with a different set of judges, it might have been a much different game.

@Bluecyan

The following actions have been added to the Court's docket:

In re Bluecyan (civil action)
    Index number 01-04
    Writ of Mandamus
    Petitioner seeks a Writ of Mandamus compelling respondent Bluecyan to speak only in quotes from court-oriented television shows.

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Having one of the voting colors be cyan, when there's a player named bluecyan participating - that's prob my only constructive criticism

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »

Bluecyan

The following actions have been added to the Court's docket:

In re Bluecyan (civil action)
    Index number 01-04
    Writ of Mandamus
    Petitioner seeks a Writ of Mandamus compelling respondent Bluecyan to speak only in quotes from court-oriented television shows.

That was me. Just something goofy to try and sneak in day one. But noooo, the judges just wanted people to be useful, and try and win.