As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Destination

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Destination

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    They have such an abusive comic relationship.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I wonder who called who. Probably Gabe to let him know he started playing Destiny 2 again so he could crush Tycho's soul by not playing with him.

A shame about Destiny 2 as well. I stopped playing well before the first DLC came out. When it became very apparent that it was only worth playing the game once a week when they did the reset.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have been on both sides of this depending on the game.

steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

"I would never abandon you, Tofy..." is what I would say if you hadn't ran off to the Playstation 4. *cough*

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    why would you subject yourself to that...

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Considering his tirade against the Harry Potter game in the last comic, I'm surprised Tycho willingly wants to play Destiny 2 considering the greedy shit they've pulled in that game.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    There's a pretty big gulf between the crap this Harry Potter game is pulling and Destiny 2's shenanigans.

That Harry Potter shit is straight up evil. Like, mustache twirlingly evil.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

"I would never abandon you, Tofy..." is what I would say if you hadn't ran off to the Playstation 4. *cough*

That's fair.

steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Considering his tirade against the Harry Potter game in the last comic, I'm surprised Tycho willingly wants to play Destiny 2 considering the greedy shit they've pulled in that game.

Despite Bungie's issues, it's reaching to classify what they've done with Destiny 2 as being the remotely the same as Harry Potter: Hogwarts'.

The Harry Potter game is a free game driven by an energy/time mechanic. As a mobile/casual game, the time mechanic really only hurts people who want to mainline it. Energy mechanics are meant to exploit impatience by enforcing play rationing. The clash between the mechanic and gameplay—I vaguely recall a gameplay tweet where a person didn't have enough energy to say "I'm tired" or whatever—is pretty pronounced. But anyway, comparing Destiny 2 and Harry Potter: Hogwarts is like comparing apples and oranges.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • 0z700z70 Registered User regular
    OK, this is actually funny... myself, my younger brother and Destiny have a storied history that is pretty much EXACTLY this comic.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    This hits way too close to home haha.

It's usually with MMO's , I buy a month to play with some friends, friends get ahead of me and then it's just me trying to catch up grinding alone and then they quit playing.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »

Despite Bungie's issues, it's reaching to classify what they've done with Destiny 2 as being the remotely the same as Harry Potter: Hogwarts'.

The Harry Potter game is a free game driven by an energy/time mechanic. As a mobile/casual game, the time mechanic really only hurts people who want to mainline it. Energy mechanics are meant to exploit impatience by enforcing play rationing. The clash between the mechanic and gameplay—I vaguely recall a gameplay tweet where a person didn't have enough energy to say "I'm tired" or whatever—is pretty pronounced. But anyway, comparing Destiny 2 and Harry Potter: Hogwarts is like comparing apples and oranges.

The Hogwarts game is especially vile because it forces you to wait to continue playing for free... but not TOO long or you just lose all your progress. So you're essentially on a leash to the game, constantly being taunted with the demand to wait some more... or give them some money.

Meanwhile, Destiny 2 deliberately slowed down your ability to earn the microtransactions for free through gameplay and made the XP bars lie about what was happening to hide that it was doing that. And then they acted shocked when they got caught out doing that. It's some pathetic shit, but nowhere near in the same category.

• InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    To be honest I've always been confused by the Destiny 2 controversy. I mean, I got it for christmas, played it nonstop for about a month, and stopped.

Not because I was annoyed with the slow progression that people complain about or because I was angry about something but... All three of my characters were max level and max power, so it just felt like I had nothing left to do. I guess I could go collect exotics but I don't really feel the need to.

But the biggest thing people get mad about is how much progression is "artificially slowed down" which... just absolutely does not line up with my experience of the game at all. I'm not trying to brag or anything this is a point of genuine confusion whenever I see people complain about Destiny 2.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Invertin wrote: »
    To be honest I've always been confused by the Destiny 2 controversy. I mean, I got it for christmas, played it nonstop for about a month, and stopped.

Not because I was annoyed with the slow progression that people complain about or because I was angry about something but... All three of my characters were max level and max power, so it just felt like I had nothing left to do. I guess I could go collect exotics but I don't really feel the need to.

But the biggest thing people get mad about is how much progression is "artificially slowed down" which... just absolutely does not line up with my experience of the game at all. I'm not trying to brag or anything this is a point of genuine confusion whenever I see people complain about Destiny 2.

Progression with the Eververse engrams, it has nothing to do with getting to level 20.