As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

DayspringDayspring the PhoenicianRegistered User regular
edited May 2018 in Critical Failures
Welcome to the next Painting Miniatures thread!
All are welcome, whatever your skill level, whatever game/hobby/you are into, as long as it is vaguely small and requires painting.
Here's a selection of highlights from the end of the last thread;
945391_sm-Imperial%20Fists%2C%20Lysander%2C%20Space%20Marines.jpg
J wrote: »
BElyWRA.jpg

Badablack wrote: »
gXP7YY6.jpg

Khraul wrote: »
y2ubbnxcia0t.jpg

canuckont wrote: »
mjtrew8pl40o.jpeg

McGibs wrote: »
chaos_noisemarine02.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
Dayspring on

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures? 75 votes

Purple
53%
DiannaoChongDayspringAlistair HuttonDarkewolfeNova_CTomantavalhalla130RamiNorgothDr_KeenbeanUreshiiAkumaGnomeTankCarnarvonIt BurnsNechriahitalianranmaBurnageElaroKristmas KthulhuMazzyx 40 votes
A different, worse colour
46%
McGibssee317W2DraevenZeroCowDescendant XGabriel_PittTheGerbilBlazeFireJTastyfishKetBrajammuMr PinkArchHefflingUncle_BalsamicstopgapDenadaCustom Special 35 votes

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    A hellblaster whose armor still needs some highlights. I've been trying harder on skin and eyes and I think this is my best example so far

sqxb5m85jyma.png

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    The orange glow looks really good with that armour!

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    The way I see it, you've got two options:

Purple to make them fly

Or red, to make em go faster

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Look humans. Look at what my cybernetic faculties can achieve.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I made the top post. Man.... that means a lot.

I gotta get back to painting.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    I'm signing for, and moving into my new house next week. I am practically jumping around with excitement at being able to start painting again.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Purple
    I opened this thread up fully ready to say "purple", so good job with the poll options! I'm also making a personal vow to post something that I've painted in this thread, eventually.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    The way I see it, you've got two options:

Purple to make them fly

Or red, to make em go faster

Checks out.

You need them red to go fast, and blue to be lucky enough not to fall down. And by their powers combined: purple

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Also, I'm disappointed that the color choice in the poll for purple is, in fact, not purple but red.

You had one job, Dayspring!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I may have voted differently if there were more purple miniatures in the OP.
    Just saying that all the other different, worse colors had a lot more representation than purple.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Also, I'm disappointed that the color choice in the poll for purple is, in fact, not purple but red.

You had one job, Dayspring!

One is red, one is blue. Together, purple!
    Whichever one you vote for, purple wins

• Options
    I primed a kabalite warrior as a test model. What shade of purple is best to use as a base?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I primed a kabalite warrior as a test model. What shade of purple is best to use as a base?

Grimace.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Vallejo Game Color Hexed Lichen for straight up purple or GW Screamer Pink for a more violet/magenta.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Its been a while but I have more of my Transformer marines.
    For those who don't know i've spent like the last 2 years or so painting up Space Marines as various Transformers. I've got something over a full companys worth of marines.
    I finally got some Primaris marines at Christmas and actually got them painted. (except bases), did them all as some of the bots that came out around 1990 that all had a gimmick of somekind

So first up some Headmasters; Hardhead, Highbrow (sadly a regualar marine) and Cerebro
    rfeq40ec5jsz.jpg

Targetmasters (obviously using Hellblaster marines because of the giant gun); Crosshairs, Pointblank and Sureshot
    645b6p9epvpm.jpg

Normal Primaris Marines; The hilariously named Erector, Countdown (these two are actually named after early 90's minicon toys I had, Countdown came with a rocket base, it was awesome) and Sprocket
    ho3nzp1y4ust.jpg

2 Sparkabots (toys that made sparks when you pushed them along the floor) and a Headmaster; Fizzle, Nightbeat and Sizzle
    ir87clle6w9b.jpg

Action Masters (bots that couldn't transform); Powerflash, Rad and Rollout
    cvr9bkkay8wn.jpg

1 more Action Master; Jackpot, a normal bot, Cosmos (turned into a flying saucer) and the sole Decepticon of todays pictures a Targetmaster, Triggerhappy
    r7iy44ef62zd.jpg

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    You know, I really like purple as a color. But recently I went "maybe I shouldnt use purple this time and try some variety". My paint budget is $0 right now but I still keep eyeing purple washes because I need it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I've been painting a bunch of miniatures using online guides over the last few weeks in what free time I got, (pictured, most recent one), they're for D&D so they're not very big

OqWvzid.png

Most of the online videos for painting these, especially the eyes, are on the level of "draw 2 circles, draw the rest of the fucking owl" for me. I'm starting to think there's no tricks except just keep painting until you don't suck

however, I have about 200 3d printed dungeon tiles to paint and there's gotta be some trick for those... I'm thinking grey spray primer and just throwing a wash over the whole bunch?

override367 on
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    I've been painting a bunch of miniatures using online guides over the last few weeks in what free time I got, (pictured, most recent one), they're for D&D so they're not very big

OqWvzid.png

Most of the online videos for painting these, especially the eyes, are on the level of "draw 2 circles, draw the rest of the fucking owl" for me. I'm starting to think there's no tricks except just keep painting until you don't suck

however, I have about 200 3d printed dungeon tiles to paint and there's gotta be some trick for those... I'm thinking grey spray primer and just throwing a wash over the whole bunch?

Anything I've seen about bulk terrain is that rattlecans and washed are your friends. Add a quick dry brush highlight if you feel like it.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Purple
    Anyone have any experience with non GW spray bases?

I don't feel like spending $20 on a rattle can when I can get the same-ish color from a hardware store brand BUT I don't want to use a hardware store rattle can and then have a regular pot of GW acrylic not adhere to it properly.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    ive got a can of Army Painter primer that works pretty good

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I know those transformer marines aren’t about following gear rules or making a legal army, but you could probably run a legit Deathwatch army with some finagling.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    At some point I just needed to stop touching up kharn and just clearcoat him to get him off my desk. I have a hard time calling something finished when there's a dozen more things I want to do

e2yugx6mra1y.jpg
    q3q3flxbyyki.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Can't... stop... making evil robots...

chaos_dreadnought_wip01.jpg
    Punchy Dread (all my current ones have arm weapons)

chaos_deredeo_wip01.jpg
    Deredeo Dread arachnoid.

website_header.jpg
  • Options

Never stop making evil robots.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

? ? ? ?

More seriously, I'd love to see something like Hero Forge but for mecha. Build your own tabletop robot minis from a selection of modular parts, Armored Core style.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

? ? ? ?

More seriously, I'd love to see something like Hero Forge but for mecha. Build your own tabletop robot minis from a selection of modular parts, Armored Core style.

Did you ever play with RoboForge back in the day?
    It's been a pretty substantial amount of time, I don't know if it's still around for download or not.
    But it let you "build" robots out of a selection of parts and styles. Might be fun to see if there was some way to print them using a 3d printer.

• Options
    Purple
    I am running into a small problem. Literally.

I'm assembling the Primaris Apothecary, and he's really easy to build, but those servo-arms on his backpack have one issue. The little piece that attaches to the arm with the syringe or saw is very thin, with a very small diameter to the little arm. I'm pretty sure the one I wanted to use, the little drill, is going to break. And I still haven't gotten all the plastic cut away from where it attached to the sprue.

I'm going to use the other attachment, the one that looks like a taser. Does anyone have any suggestions for not doing this again to this next piece?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AShieldOfMeatAShieldOfMeat Registered User regular

The guides I have seen for simple 3D printed terrain is to drybrush with three tones over black primer. Also for whatever reason, latex paint is popular for this.

I think you will want to be a bit careful with washes as they might make the serrations from the printing obvious (assuming a FDM printer; I am less sure about resin ones).

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I am running into a small problem. Literally.

I'm assembling the Primaris Apothecary, and he's really easy to build, but those servo-arms on his backpack have one issue. The little piece that attaches to the arm with the syringe or saw is very thin, with a very small diameter to the little arm. I'm pretty sure the one I wanted to use, the little drill, is going to break. And I still haven't gotten all the plastic cut away from where it attached to the sprue.

I'm going to use the other attachment, the one that looks like a taser. Does anyone have any suggestions for not doing this again to this next piece?

You might want to invest in some new clippers. Dull ones will just mash the piece off the sprue and lead to warping and broken bits. A new xacto blade for getting rid of sprue bits helps too but with those tiny pieces it’s all about that first cut off the sprue with clippers.

You could try fixing the broken pieces by carefully coating the snapped off part in plastic glue and setting it at the correct angle.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Alternatively a razor saw or jeweller’s saw can be used to cut the piece from the sprue; because it removes the kerf rather than pushing it away, you don’t get as much sideways pressure on the part so it’s less likely to break.

If you’re going to try to repair a broken part, invest in some ‘paint on’ poly cement (the water-thin kind that wicks into thin gaps) as it leaves far less residue, though the working time is much, much shorter.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    For some reason I thought it was a good idea to do all the gold trim first and then fill in the armor panels.

My current hypothesis is that I subconsciously hate myself.

zGV6DFzl.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Purple
    Echo wrote: »
    For some reason I thought it was a good idea to do all the gold trim first and then fill in the armor panels.

My current hypothesis is that I subconsciously hate myself.

zGV6DFzl.jpg

For what its worth I'm pretty sure the Warhammer TV method is prime gold, paint blue.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yep, that's why I did it. Still of the opinion that I'm better off doing the gold later.

Going to airbrush my exalted sorcerers instead.

• Options
    Purple
    The piece didnt snap off and when i got home, i managed to cut away the excess with my exacto, which i had left at home.

I took a chance and used the drill piece I wanted, and I'm just going to have to be careful transporting this model, but wow, is this guy full of character.

I also just spent a couple of hours watching white armor videos, and GW's method of just not painting white at all, but grey, just looks grey to me. Im gonna go with something else.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

OqWvzid.png

You should drybrush after the wash. The way I'd do it would be coat black, use a dark gray spray over that, unevenly, wash, then drybrush to make the details pop. I've found no drybrush highlight makes it very drab and dull looking.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Echo wrote: »
    Yep, that's why I did it. Still of the opinion that I'm better off doing the gold later.

Going to airbrush my exalted sorcerers instead.

Here's a tip: either way is awful. There is no enjoyable way to paint rubrics.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Purple
    Basing stuff finally showed up!

Astrogranite Debris... I'm thinking base, wash with nuln oil, drybrush dawnstone and add a couple of tiny red/orange highlights to suggest an ashen wasteland with a few still burning embers.

...that's how I see it going in my head anyway...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I might have drybrushed this thing's wings a little too vigorously. Is there a way to bring it down a little bit? Maybe the blue citadel glaze?

qmkro4156bf8.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Purple
    I really like the bold drybrush on the wings!

Maybe a darker shade in the crevices? Like a dark blue wash?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
This discussion has been closed.