As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Altered Carbon] Robocop in Blade Runner on LSD

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I did wonder why
    Rei
    didn't have any chromed-out deathbot sleeves. Seems like it would have been handy for that fight with
    Ortega.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ortega alone showed why
    most people would be running around cyborging it up. She had 1 new arm and hated the idea until she got it then loved it. Now imagine all the people who didn't have the hang up.

As said, it's just a conceit of the setting.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well you have to keep in mind that she also got the most expensive one available.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    People get attached to their bodies (no pun intended) it’s not surprising they’d pay through the nose for spares of themselves.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I think it probably works a bit like eclipsephase. Synthetic bodies are seen as cheap/low end and they also don't feel right when you are in them. The sensation of touch is less and your other senses are worse/different enough to be uncomfortable. They talked about doing multiple sleeving could cause psychosis and a lot of that was basically your body image can only handle so much before the mind starts rebelling. In a purely artificial body that probably becomes more pronounced.

The girl who was using one at the end of altered carbon liked it because it did not feel real to her and that was what she wanted that level of distance between mind and body.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Re-watching the last episode, there's one thing that still confuses me/I'm curious about:
    How did Quellcrist Falconer change the physical form/appearance of the sleeve she ended up being uploaded into on the floating Brothel?
    After Poe uploaded her to the 'internet' (I forget what Poe called it)?
    Is it some form of cybernetics, genetic engineering or both? Like an android sleeve that can project some kind of hologram around itself?

I suspect you mean a different character
    Quellcrist Falconer is only seen in flashbacks, she’s the rebel leader who taught Kovacs how to be an Envoy. She is believed to be dead, although Reilynn claims to have uploaded her before the shuttle exploded.

Lizzie is the one who is loaded into what they call a “synth” sleeve. IIRC show doesn’t really go into how synthetic sleeves work, but apparently their appearance can be changed somehow.. Also, Lizzie is basically a literal internet sorceress now, there’s a bunch of stuff she can just do and we have to go with it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Finished this show yesterday. I definitely liked it. I'm a sucker for anything cyberpunk, and am Catholic so I really liked the Neo-C subplot. It was a bit rushed and cluttered in places, but compared to some other Netflix originals like Bright, which was amazing for the first half then.... Anyway, I felt the main weakness was
    As much as I loved Rei as villain, I got tired of her obsession with Tak and threats to his companions.
    Anyway, good stuff, looking forward to more, etc.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Question about the Ghostwalker:
    I don't remember what the reasoning was for his ability to hide from cameras. Something involving Reileen, I imagine.[/spoilers]

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I don't recall it being explained at all. But I may be forgetting something.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    IIRC (which I very well might not be) it was some kind of mesh network malware/virus and/or algorithm which was able to covertly hop from camera to camera.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    Question about the Ghostwalker:
    I don't remember what the reasoning was for his ability to hide from cameras. Something involving Reileen, I imagine.[/spoilers]

Why it was a Big Deal
    It required access/authorization to U.N. codes to be able to backdoor into everything. So they knew he had to be backed by someone influential.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We just finished this yesterday and are all in for season 2

Hopefully they don’t fuck it up

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I finished this a while ago but also missed that we had a thread woops

Put me in the "this show is a hot mess with a few cool bits" camp

Kovacs is kind of a one-note dickweed for a lot of the show, beyond a few good moments. He gets better later on in the season but it still feels inconsistent? This is true for a lot of characters really

Hearing that the "yandere sister" thing is new to the show is actually kinda odd, and it's definitely not a good move on the writing team's part

Ex-Space marine dad and Poe are my two favorite supporting characters. Ortega is probably the main character with the best (or at least most consistent) arc

tl;dr - this show is one of the most inconsistent things I've seen in a long time, and that's only not outright The Most because we're in a year that also had PacRim: Uprising happen

edit: I should note that I'll probably watch a second season of this, but god damn if I don't reserve the right to be even more of a hardass about it

Mortal Sky on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I really hope Kinnaman gets to come back as Ryker.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I really hope Kinnaman gets to come back as Ryker.

He's busy with a supporting role in the tv show, Hanna, for Amazon. If that sounds familiar, it's based on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voPBcugOZPU&frags=pl%2Cwn

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Changing the lead actor with the same character is an exploration of character most shows can't do, taking that opportunity is cool!

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Yup its one of the settings that keeping the main character as the same actor would be probably the wrong choice. Being brave enough to actually follow the logic of the setting to explore this stuff is the best way to handle this kind of show if you are going to do it do it all the way.

• LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

I’m too excited right now. I just need another murder sequence like what happened with the rich dude’s mistress and I’m good.

Ryker isn't Kovacs...

Ryker isn't Kovacs...

if they're adapting the next book Ryker won't even be in it at all

Anzekay wrote: »
    Ryker isn't Kovacs...

if they're adapting the next book Ryker won't even be in it at all

I'm okay with that.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Next season won't be on Earth

People don't move from planet to planet in their bodies they cast into a new one

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I haven't read the books, but from some cursory wiki it seems like there are three in this universe? In terms of content/material covered how close to book 1 was season 1?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2018
    VishNub wrote: »
    I haven't read the books, but from some cursory wiki it seems like there are three in this universe? In terms of content/material covered how close to book 1 was season 1?

All of it.

edit: misread. As in, season 1 = entire first book. Fairly close in overall plot, though a ton of new stuff, and some large changes.

Echo on
    edited August 2018
    Echo wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »

All of it.

any extra from book 2?

edit reply: got it.

VishNub on
    Ok yeah I am pretty down with seeing Anthony Mackie on the small screen, especially if he can work the script a little more tightly than Kinnaman

I read the synopsis of book two.
    Martian Spaceship?

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Martian Spaceship?

Pretty much. But also:
    A planetary war, with one side being a corrupted version of Quellism used to justify some pretty heinous shit. Think Marxism being used to justify Pol Pot and you won't be far off. The other side being a blatantly corrupt corporate dictatorship using of-world mercenaries to fight them. Basically the entire system is going to shit and Tak decides to go it alone.

Includes a bunch of formerly dead mercs recruited to help him.

I suspect that a significant plot point will be to keep the spaceship out of the Kempists and corporate hands. That's not in the book, but a guess of mine.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Martian Spaceship?

Pretty much. But also:
    A planetary war, with one side being a corrupted version of Quellism used to justify some pretty heinous shit. Think Marxism being used to justify Pol Pot and you won't be far off. The other side being a blatantly corrupt corporate dictatorship using of-world mercenaries to fight them. Basically the entire system is going to shit and Tak decides to go it alone.

Includes a bunch of formerly dead mercs recruited to help him.

I suspect that a significant plot point will be to keep the spaceship out of the Kempists and corporate hands. That's not in the book, but a guess of mine.

If Book 1 is a noir detective story

Book 2 is
    The Dirty Dozen

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    iirc there was an interview where they flat out said they aren't doing the second book because it would require an unrealistic budget.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    iirc there was an interview where they flat out said they aren't doing the second book because it would require an unrealistic budget.

I'm pretty okay with this. They should just stick to doing noir mysteries tbh.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm all in for cyberpunk noir.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Book 2 is 100% military spec-ops stuff. It's not bad, but there's not much room for the main plot point of the stack tech and how that affects humanity. So yeah, I don't mind more noir.

Did anyone ever watch Black Sails? Kind of a convoluted hot mess in its first season, but one of the best TV series ever, even outside its period action-drama genre, by the end of its run

It could be cool if Altered Carbon pulls that for cyberpunk - just needs to ditch the baggage and find what works for the Stack-noir formula

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    And given what they changed from the 1st book, they couldn't possible do the third

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm more than happy if Altered Carbon the TV series becomes it's own thing based off the themes and universe of the books

they could easily borrow some of the stronger ideas from book 2 for this season and have it be largely new content

like getting a bunch of once-dead mercs to come back for another gig is a fantastic premise, there's a lot you can do with that

I just hope we get to see the (book 2 minor spoiler)
    nanobot swarm thing because that was incredibly scary

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It’s impossible for me not to draw parallels to Dollhouse, they even cast Dichen Lachman

It’s basically Bizarro Dollhouse; rather than 1 body and several people, it’s 1 person in several bodies

I generally find exploration of how future tech intersects (or affects) our humanity fascinating, so I would rather future seasons focus in on that

I’m fine with them packaging it in as a cyber noir thing as long as that overarching theme remains constant

edited January 2020
    VishNub on