As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this oil?

Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
?tr14kvity53m.jpeg
mk215h2z5rp1.jpeg

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Gonna need some better pics, or at least lighting.

Touch it. What color is it? Gold/brown is oil. Red is power steering or transmission fluid. Brake fluid is amber.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Smell helps too. Does is smell unusually sweet? That's anti freeze.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I can't tell if thats just water mixing with the dirt from your garage floor. If you have been running your AC a bunch, it could just be the condensation from your AC pan (its been warm in Florida, but if you are in winterlands probably not).

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'd wager water, but the pics aren't very good

I hope to god that much oil didn't leak from your car though

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I can't tell if thats just water mixing with the dirt from your garage floor. If you have been running your AC a bunch, it could just be the condensation from your AC pan (its been warm in Florida, but if you are in winterlands probably not).

This. It's tough to say without better pictures, but that would be about where the water drain is for your A/C evaporator core is (passenger side of the car, quite far outboard). While you're driving the A/C will cool and freeze water out of the air. When you park, it thaws out and the water drains off.

Have you been using the A/C lately?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Not sure where you're located, but the powder on the tires looks a lot like the mag chloride they spray on the streets when it snows here.
    If that's the case and you've driven through some snowy conditions, that looks to me like the kind of nasty road sludge/ice combo that tends to build up in wheel wells and then melts all over the garage floor.

In my experience, oil doesn't tend to run like that unless it's a massive leak.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Not sure where you're located, but the powder on the tires looks a lot like the mag chloride they spray on the streets when it snows here.
    If that's the case and you've driven through some snowy conditions, that looks to me like the kind of nasty road sludge/ice combo that tends to build up in wheel wells and then melts all over the garage floor.

In my experience, oil doesn't tend to run like that unless it's a massive leak.

Yeah, it usually gets packed in pretty thick along the wheel well, especially if you uh... drive... not slow through the slush.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Agree with "oil doesn't run like that" as the clearest indication, but if you want to know for sure... just touch it?

Or wipe it up with a napkin. If the napkin just smears it around, it's oil.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    No, I’m in Toronto, definitely don’t have the AC on. It kind of looks like water, but it hasn’t evaporated into the air (it’s been there since yesterday morning). I’ll see if it’s still there tonight.

It’s a pretty old car and I had a fuel leak earlier in the year. The parts are just rusting out and disintegrating.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    A sheet of white poster board between the front wheels might help show where it's dripping and what color it was before it ran all over your floor.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    No, I’m in Toronto, definitely don’t have the AC on. It kind of looks like water, but it hasn’t evaporated into the air (it’s been there since yesterday morning). I’ll see if it’s still there tonight.

It’s a pretty old car and I had a fuel leak earlier in the year. The parts are just rusting out and disintegrating.

Just to add, your A/C runs whenever you use the "defrost" selector on your heater. It dehumidifies the air, helping clear fogged windows faster. It's not necessarily a cold weather thing.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Just to add, your A/C runs whenever you use the "defrost" selector on your heater. It dehumidifies the air, helping clear fogged windows faster. It's not necessarily a cold weather thing.

This is one of those technically correct things but your AC isn't gonna get cold enough to condense water out of the air in Toronto, in March. The water from the AC is basically a summer time thing up north in NA.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Turns out it’s not oil! It was actually gasoline,

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Is that... better?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    depends really

replacing fuel lines can be a fair chunk but probably not as much as an oil pan

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    depends really

replacing fuel lines can be a fair chunk but probably not as much as an oil pan

Also oil leak can mean you were running the car without oil which could have fucked up something else, gas leak just means you ran out of gas earlier right?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah gas is much better.

In certain ways.

If you drive over a lit cigarette there's a greater chance your car will literally burn instead of causing major engine damage.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah gas is much better.

In certain ways.

If you drive over a lit cigarette there's a greater chance your car will literally burn instead of causing major engine damage.

But it won't explode! For the most part that's relegated to the film's and the teevee.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Well, when I was in my 20's (a little over 10 years ago now) a car blew up in front of our neighbor's house. That was pretty spectacular. Thankfully no one was in it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah gas is much better.

In certain ways.

the good news is cigarettes are actually pretty terrible at igniting gasoline (or more specifically gasoline fumes because liquid gasoline just puts them out like a pool of water does)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's assuming you're pouring as onto a cigarette, but yes statistically unlikely either way.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me