As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Yussss

That's what I needed

Thanks Mazz

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Where's the best place to watch quality battle reports?

On youtube I recommend:

Table Top Tactics-Excellent reports, they know the rules, are very entertaining, lists range from fluff to competitive. Run by Lawrence aka the Spider who is one of the best British players. Also the models are super well painted.

WinterSEO-A more relaxed report set. Winter is British as well but great looking armies usually more fluff sided.

Glacial Geek-I just like him. He really enjoys his games. Plays almost 100% Dark Angels verse whoever is in the store. His Thin Coats and Deep Thoughts are kind of chill talks about the state of the game and stuff.

Frontline Gaming puts up nice sped up 30 minute battle reports. This is ITC competition lists from some of the best. You can learn a ton from watching.

Warhammer TV does one every week but the vod requires a subscription.

What do you think of MiniWarGaming, Gaming with the cooler, and guerilla miniature games?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Does anyone do some sort of Bob Ross style miniature painting videos? Just a mellow guy painting his figures and rambling positive messages as he goes? I’d listen to that.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Where's the best place to watch quality battle reports?

On youtube I recommend:

Table Top Tactics-Excellent reports, they know the rules, are very entertaining, lists range from fluff to competitive. Run by Lawrence aka the Spider who is one of the best British players. Also the models are super well painted.

WinterSEO-A more relaxed report set. Winter is British as well but great looking armies usually more fluff sided.

Glacial Geek-I just like him. He really enjoys his games. Plays almost 100% Dark Angels verse whoever is in the store. His Thin Coats and Deep Thoughts are kind of chill talks about the state of the game and stuff.

Frontline Gaming puts up nice sped up 30 minute battle reports. This is ITC competition lists from some of the best. You can learn a ton from watching.

Warhammer TV does one every week but the vod requires a subscription.

What do you think of MiniWarGaming, Gaming with the cooler, and guerilla miniature games?

Miniwargaming and guerilla minatures fail at the rules so much I tend to grumble at my screen.

Gaming with the Cooler I hear is okay but I haven't really watched.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Miniwargaming and guerilla minatures fail at the rules so much I tend to grumble at my screen.

Gaming with the Cooler I hear is okay but I haven't really watched.

Winters made some really bad mistakes with his Death Guard when they were brand new, but he rectified it as time went on. And they were new, so eh.

But yes, Miniwargaming and Guerilla Miniatures (basically the same guys) are well produced battle reports that have some mistakes in their rules. I do think they've gotten somewhat better than when 8th was new, however.

Tabletop Tactics is probably the best, but a lot of their stuff seems to be behind a paywall.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I like miniwargaming as people, like, they are funny and entertaining on camera.

But man yeah their rules stuff is bad.

I’d go to them more if you want to see their sillier narrative stuff.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I stopped watching miniwargaming when they thought a harlequin transport did d6 mortal wounds within d6” inches and removed basically an entire harlequins army.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Is it weird that for battle report videos I'm mostly interested in seeing the armies explained and how they deploy?

The actual battle tends to always go as you'd expect, barring some crazy dice luck one way or another, but I'm always curious to hear people's reasoning for why they take certain units and how they first set them up.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    In Winter's defense, I did chuckle when he talked about how he loses games a lot because he tells his strategies/battle plans to the camera and his opponent is right there and can hear everything.

I agree though, it would be nice to get some more "pre-game" info on each army before the battle. Most batreps just do a glancing quick shot of the army while the person says what each unit is, but I honestly wouldn't mind if they just let each player really talk about their army for a little bit. A fully assembled and painted 1,500 or 2,000 point army is an enormous investment in money, time, and effort, and I love hearing about other people's miniatures, so I wouldn't mind some extra time at the beginning of each batrep where the players could just geek out about their army for a bit as well as explain their unit choices and initial strategy.
    Badablack wrote: »
    Does anyone do some sort of Bob Ross style miniature painting videos? Just a mellow guy painting his figures and rambling positive messages as he goes? I’d listen to that.

Oh, looks like I got a little Straken Green here on the base, that's alright though, I can always neaten it up later. No mistakes, just happy little accidents. Alright. Now I've got this little sassy nurgling, look how happy he looks. I bet he's thinking about how he's going to spread the joy of Papa Nurgle all over... maybe all over a nice Imperial Agri-world. I'm gonna go ahead and attach him to the base here, because every Plague Champion needs a friend. There, isn't that nice? Alright, now for some wash...

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Is it weird that for battle report videos I'm mostly interested in seeing the armies explained and how they deploy?

The actual battle tends to always go as you'd expect, barring some crazy dice luck one way or another, but I'm always curious to hear people's reasoning for why they take certain units and how they first set them up.

Not weird at all. It's what I'm most interested in and it's usually the stuff that's hidden behind the paywalls on miniwargaming and Tabletop Tactics.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Looking at terrain sites online.

What "size" of terrain should I be looking at? I keep seeing 15mm, 25mm, etc

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I think 40k is mostly 25/28mm?

• Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Got a couple of 1250 league games at my FLGS. Not really a full batrep, but I am fully in the camp of MSU Reavers (equipping them with only grav-talons). I tried a bit with a blaster in the squad (only 1 squad right now till they restock), but found either it missed or they died/stayed in combat too much to use it effectively. Played back to back games against death guard and in both games was able to keep plagueburst crawlers from firing all but one or two turns (4 and 5 turn games each).

On a lark I also paid a CP to equip my archon with the Helm of Spite relic and hoooly crap that was worthwhile. In the second game I caused his psyker to perils twice (sadly disgustingly resilient kept it from dying and exploding all over his guys both times). Since I'm running a fair amount of psykers anyway I just wait to use the archon deny until they barely pass a test then try to stick it to them.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I think 40k is mostly 25/28mm?

Roughly 28mm

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    It’s closer to 32mm, but 40k scale is honestly all over the place.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    In Winter's defense, I did chuckle when he talked about how he loses games a lot because he tells his strategies/battle plans to the camera and his opponent is right there and can hear everything.

I agree though, it would be nice to get some more "pre-game" info on each army before the battle. Most batreps just do a glancing quick shot of the army while the person says what each unit is, but I honestly wouldn't mind if they just let each player really talk about their army for a little bit. A fully assembled and painted 1,500 or 2,000 point army is an enormous investment in money, time, and effort, and I love hearing about other people's miniatures, so I wouldn't mind some extra time at the beginning of each batrep where the players could just geek out about their army for a bit as well as explain their unit choices and initial strategy.
    Badablack wrote: »

Oh, looks like I got a little Straken Green here on the base, that's alright though, I can always neaten it up later. No mistakes, just happy little accidents. Alright. Now I've got this little sassy nurgling, look how happy he looks. I bet he's thinking about how he's going to spread the joy of Papa Nurgle all over... maybe all over a nice Imperial Agri-world. I'm gonna go ahead and attach him to the base here, because every Plague Champion needs a friend. There, isn't that nice? Alright, now for some wash...

I guess if I get a fancy new job, I should probably buy some recording gear and start doing this, huh?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I think generally, 1/72 - 28 mm is the correct scale size. However, GW is 28mm 'heroic' scale which means the features like heads, weaponry, etc are exaggerated for effect. That's one reason why it's closer to 32 mm.

• Options
    If you have a choice in terrain scaling, go a little bigger. It gives you more room for your models to stand on platforms and fit in buildings.

• Options
    I think generally, 1/72 - 28 mm is the correct scale size. However, GW is 28mm 'heroic' scale which means the features like heads, weaponry, etc are exaggerated for effect. That's one reason why it's closer to 32 mm.

They've been bumping the scales up slowly over time. The optimist in me thinks it's because they want to give us more detailed models, the pessimist in me thinks it's because they needed to do it to excuse their new $35 single character price points, and the realist in me thinks it's a little bit of both.

Their newer sculpts are insanely detailed compared to a lot of older stuff, the only problem with this is that a lot of their new models (especially AOS stuff, but a lot of 40k as well) looks like it's going to be a colossal pain in the ass to transport safely.

• Options

They've been bumping the scales up slowly over time. The optimist in me thinks it's because they want to give us more detailed models, the pessimist in me thinks it's because they needed to do it to excuse their new $35 single character price points, and the realist in me thinks it's a little bit of both.

Their newer sculpts are insanely detailed compared to a lot of older stuff, the only problem with this is that a lot of their new models (especially AOS stuff, but a lot of 40k as well) looks like it's going to be a colossal pain in the ass to transport safely.

My tzeentch stuff isn't too bad to transport.

But mostly its the damn disc that are annoying.

But yeah there are a lot of fiddly bits.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I really have a problem as I did then about putting away my jetbike army, falcons. wave serpents and fire prisms{ the old style with the metal crystal}
    It's just sad the turrets on the falcons got roughed up as I am at a loss how to fix them as it's the aerials that got the worst of it

• Options
    Speaking of obnoxious to transport models, I got a bloodthirster on the cheap and I’m wondering how best to implement it without the inevitable sad trombone turn 1 death. Thinking of just running it as Skarbrand alongside a Lord of Skulls and some other big thing, and filling up my points with cheap cultists and bloodletters. At least that way all the lascannons have to pick one thing.

• Options
    So a the throwback stuff for Mk3 armor on forgeworld is not going to be anymore
    How long that clearance sale up before they pull it?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So a the throwback stuff for Mk3 armor on forgeworld is not going to be anymore
    How long that clearance sale up before they pull it?

I get that they can't sell everything forever (molds get old and wear out, it's expensive to make new ones, etc etc), but discontinuing stuff just boosts the demand for recasters.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Also they need to last chance that stuff so that bloggers can circle jerk about how they know it means plastic legion bits because they're so smart.

Plastic legion upgrade kits would be super rad though.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I'm just bummed I missed out on making one last Elysians order before they vanished

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I got what I wanted just it was for the burning of prospero
    Since the minis in there get used for 40k for the most part
    I am probably going to take advantage of the dreadnaught deal though when I get paid later this month

• Options
    Got a game in today against a painted army! Mine had a bunch of unpainted peasant masses but not enough I wouldn’t be ashamed to post pictures of the board.

qDMNXWY.jpg
    Deathguard vs World Eaters, 2500 points.

7qmXnUA.jpg
    Lord of Skulls sneaking up the middle with a Chaos Bastion full of Lascannons providing backup against swarms of gross smelly plaguebearers.

KmlEHBM.jpg
    Obliterators watching in horror as the Lord of Skulls blows up leaving all its buddies hanging.

0VHMjcj.jpg
    Deathguard being green and ugly and not dead.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Watch Out for the Webway a guide
    You will immediately recognise these entrances to the webway by their grotesque design – an affront to the careful aesthetic purity found in all Imperial architecture. Smooth curves suggest duplicity and slippery morals, unlike the rigid and unmoving edifices of the Imperium. In their arrogance, the Aeldari have neglected to even adorn their structures with skulls, so sure are they in their belief that they have defeated death.

Giggle
    0si3ay3vi5rg.jpg

Brainleech on
  • Options
    OyWifXX.jpg

Resin was a mistake.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Call GW customer service. They will want you to email them with the batch# from the package and probably a pic of the issue along with your name, address and either their store# or the name of the store you purchased it from.

Call them first to verify all that, but they'll send a new one out.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I already bugged the guy that runs the store that I got it from and sent him some pictures, he said he'll get them to send a replacement. I'm only lightly salted because I had planned on assembling/painting him quickly so I could run him this Saturday. I'm gonna try to greenstuff it, we'll see how goofy it ends up looking I guess.

It's a Captain Lysander model that I picked up earlier today, but I have delicately removed all of the Imperial Fist iconography and plan on running him as a second Terminator Captain for my homebrew chapter (I already have the relic blade one and didn't want two of the same model). I figured this would look much better than if I had just glued some bits onto a regular Terminator.

• Options
    Rules questions for you fine folks.

A person is running a Chaos army with Death Guard and Thousand Son detachments, giving them access to stratagems from both. Both have specific versions of Veterans of the Long War, one affecting only Death Guard and one affecting only Thousand Sons, but besides that it's the same stratagem.

Can they BOTH be used the same turn or is it "Veterans of the Long War", one and done?

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Rules questions for you fine folks.

A person is running a Chaos army with Death Guard and Thousand Son detachments, giving them access to stratagems from both. Both have specific versions of Veterans of the Long War, one affecting only Death Guard and one affecting only Thousand Sons, but besides that it's the same stratagem.

Can they BOTH be used the same turn or is it "Veterans of the Long War", one and done?

It should be one and done. It is the same name so that is what takes affect. I think there was an FAQ on this but I can't remember exactly. But stacking different CSM groups (CSM, Tsons, DG) should not give you three VotLW a turn.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

It should be one and done. It is the same name so that is what takes affect. I think there was an FAQ on this but I can't remember exactly. But stacking different CSM groups (CSM, Tsons, DG) should not give you three VotLW a turn.
    I assumed that, but just wanted to be sure. I am playing a 2vs2 on Saturday and one's Craftworld and one's Drukhari. Dealing with multiple lightning fast reflexes sounded horrible.

• Options
    In list building thoughts I have been playing with things though I haven't been able to roll dice for two weeks due to life. I think I can Saturday though.

This Saturday is going to be a proxy test list verse some club folks if they are okay with it. Going with 2 black legion detachments including an Abbadon with a huge cultist blob and a spearhead with a warpsmith and three vindicators. I am going to give linebreaker a shot. Overall the list has 16 cps to play with.

Black legion is growing on me as a decent legion. Abbadon is basically trading a good warlord trait for +2 cp and immunity to morale and a huge beat stick. But the let the galaxy burn BL stratagem I think a lot of folks overlooked. 1 CP target a BL unit, reroll all 1s to hit. If this is a csm squad reroll all rolls to hit. I can see this being useful on drops with plasma and such where you might not have a lord near by or Abbadon. And CP kind of flow like water now it seems like it is worth using now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Yep, last main rulebook FAQ states that two strats with the same name (from different codex) are considered the same (so no doubling). They used VotLW as an example, but lightning reflexes is in the same boat.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    What do people recommend for laying on top of a dining table (10' by 3/5') to create a 6'x4' play area? Like, are there recommended types of wood to use so it is not too heavy and won't warp? Or does someplace make hard plastic boards? I currently have some 2x2 modular boards (made of thick plywood and foam) I made a long time ago, but they are heavy and bulky. Ideally I'd like to find some lighter weight boards I could lay down, and then throw a neoprene mat or something across the top. Suggestions?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    You could always hit up a hardware store and have them cut a sheet of 1" thick insulation foam into 3 2'x4' pieces or 2 3'x6' pieces and just lay those on top of your table then put your mat on that. I had years ago made 3 2'x4' plywood with frame table toppers but they were a pain in the ass to store so they ended up in a dumpster when I moved.

Finally I gave up on trying to make dining tables into wargaming tables. My solution now is this. It is the way and the light. @Gabriel_Pitt, & @Extreaminatus can attest.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Getting a good, cheap, light solution is going to be pretty hard. Keenbean made his table topper, I made my collapsible, expandable, wooden folding table, but ultimately, the cheapest, easiest, and generally most useful solution is just grabbing a couple of folding 6x2 tables from Walmart, Target, or wherever.

If you don't have anywhere to setup other than the dining room table, then something like the insulation sheets Keenbean mentioned would be the easiest solution.