As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chrononauts[Phalla]-Game Over - Village Alternate Victory

BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz?BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
edited May 2018 in Critical Failures
Welcome potential Chrononauts, I am the Administrator and your host, Dr. B.C. Kronus! The person standing next to me is my head of verification and my associate, Dr. M. T. Licious. Here at Lucca Labs we pride ourselves on our innovation, resourcefulness and dedication to safety. Many of the modern wonders of the last decade were first thought up and developed in these halls, from the hoverboard to mini-Rex, the adorable pygmy tyrannosaurus. As you all are no doubt aware, over this past decade we have been focused on unlocking the mysteries of time itself, starting with the higgs-boson to detectable time beacons. It has not been easy, the same is said for anything worth doing. Fortunately, our scientists have gotten through the hard bits, and our first stable wormhole into the past was achieved! Barely more than a mousehole in size and quickly dissipated but all that's left now is to stabilize and increase the scope before we will be sending people back in time.

That's where you come in, a veritable microcosm of the best of humanity gathered in one room. We demand a lot from our candidates, and the tasks you will be facing will be difficult. You may find yourself stranded in the Pleistocene Epoch, evading Smilodons while enduring blistering colds, or coming face to face with a horde of Mongols as they conquer their way across Asia. But if you are still not deterred sign up below in Bold Limegreen. We are looking for twenty brave volunteers, and as many people as we can on a reserve list, just in case. Don't worry, you might not feel prepared now but we don't expect to have our Time Gate operational for another decade. During that time, if you are one of the lucky candidates selected, we will put you through a grueling series of training. History course after history course of course, as well as physical fitness, basic self-defense, mental conditioning as well as a basic understanding in the sciences involved. We wouldn't send unprepared, under-trained civilians back into the past, that would just be irresponsible. We expect to have a demonstration for you the first Saturday after the sign-up sheet is full. Dr. Licious has looked over all of the science and assures me nothing could possibli go wrong.

General Rules:
The mafia component of this game is very simple compared to other Phallas. There are 16 village and 4 mafia this game and the game is divided into day and night phases. Day lasts from the after the Day Post until 8 PM PST. Everyday everyone, including both mafia and village, must vote in bold red in the thread for one person to execute place in temporal stasis. The person with the most votes at the end of Day is out of the game and can no longer contribute, but may still be eligible for victory. Unlike other phallas, ties DO NOT result in both players' elimination. Of all top tied players only the one who was voted for earliest that day will be removed. During the Day, Mafia members collectively must indicate to me and MrTlicious, one person to be killed in secret. This must not be the same person that gets executed (please send a back up as well as prime target). This way every day two people will be removed from the game. Deaths will reveal faction.

There are NO special roles this game. Players start off as either Village or Mafia with the same role information (except personal win conditions see below).

For any PMs between players, please add me and MrTlicious. Eliminated players, either through vote or Mafia, are forbidden from posting or PMing the living, except for one death post (which should not contain any actual usable information).

Village Victory Condition: If, at start of Day, there is no Mafia in play and atleast one villager, the Village wins.
Mafia Victory Condition: If, at start of Day, there are equal to or more Mafia players than Village, then Mafia wins.
Fortinbras Victory Condition: Everyone is dead

Time Travel Missions:
This game is different however, in that both sides have alternate win conditions through the other aspect of this game: Time Travel Missions.

Ten Time Beacons went out to found Time Nodes which allows for time travel. The time nodes that were created are at: 100,000,000 BC, 480 BC, 330AD, 1492, 1765, 1789, 1861, 1939, 1959 and 1977. These are the only time periods that the Time Machine can send travelers too, though with a few year latitude allowed. These nodes will be in one of two states (Natural or Recessive). During each Day, three different TT missions will progress with the results of those made public during the night post. In addition to typical phalla vote everyone should vote to set up teams for these missions. There are three different teams Alpha(Bold Purple), Beta (Bold Dodger Blue) and Gamma (Bold Green) departing at different times of the day: 12 Noon, 4 PM and 6 PM [All PST].

Each active player should vote for one player and the time node they want for each team using the same color (ie Bluecyan, 100 Million). At the start of the game teams will consist of three people, but this will decrease as players are eliminated: 2 at day Five and finally only 1 half-way through day Seven (See Special below). At the different vote end times a team will be locked down based on the majority votes, ties once again settled by the first person voted for during that Day (this is based on time stamp not when the host posts results of team). A player may vote for themselves, and may vote for the same person to be in multiple teams. However once on a team, a player may not be put onto another team that day, all votes for them will be ignored. Further, no time node may be selected more than once per day (though a person can vote for the same time for multiple teams).

Those put on a team must choose what they do in that time node: Observe, Preserve, Reverse, Create Anomaly, or Fix Anomaly. Further Mafia have the additional options of Disrupt/ Freeze[0-2]. They will PM me and MrTlicious only their decision.

Observe attempts to do nothing however may verify P/R conflicts (see below). If no action is selected this is considered the default.
Preserve tries to keep the current state for the active node.
Reverse tries to flip the state for the active node.
Create Anomaly creates a split in the time stream, the NEXT time node has both possible events active but increases the Time Strain by 4 (this is bad). Truly, only a Desperate person would do this right?
Fix Anomaly will allow the person to undo an Anomaly in the NEXT time node, choosing which state is active finally reduce the Time Strain by 2.
If multiple Fix Anomaly's are chosen with different results, then those actions are canceled. Anomaly's cannot be created and fixed on the same day (Anomaly overrides but strain only increases if a new anomaly is formed)

Disrupt doesn't do anything directly except add one to the Time Strain and turn the node into a disrupted node (note:the disruption state of a node is hidden to all but Mafia),
Freeze works as a Disrupt if the node hasn't been disrupted yet, otherwise the node becomes Frozen and cannot be selected in future time trips. Frozen is the only action that may have a delayed effect, the mafia chooses 0-2 days for when the effect occurs.

Everyone's actions happen at the same time. If there are an equal number of Preserve and Reverse, then the nodes Natural state will override the recessive one and any Observers will get PM confirmation.
At the end of the day, node states are changed, anomaly changes are announced and total increased strain is revealed and added for all missions.

A note on natural node events, a villager's own memories (either in-game or out-of-game) are unreliable. For example: the 1492 time node may have the two states {A} Columbus gets funding for his journey to the Americas, or {B} Columbus is ridiculed and the new world is not discovered for another twenty years. The player's knowledge may state {A} is how things happened, however, the player does not realize their own time line is a deviation and this may be one of the inconsistencies. The only way to truly know which event is natural is to have it overridden by the Preserver/Reverse conflict. The Mafia however, will be given a list of which are Natural at the start of game.

Village Alternate Victory Condition: After night is over Village wins if all nodes are in their natural state and no anomalies exist.
Mafia Alternate Victory Condition: Freeze five time nodes (Note: If this happens then it will happen before end of night, Mafia and Village cannot share a victory)
Alternate Mafia/Village Loss Condition Time Strain reaches 15 or more

Finally, Villagers have personal victory requirements. Each villager will have four node state requirements, of which they need to have at least half complete in order to win with the village. Some of these requirements will be Natural, some of them Recessive, however at least half will be Natural (a village alternate win guarantees all village win). During the game, things may become dangerous for a player if half of their personal objectives are incomplete. Mafia only care about the mafia winning.

Special: Both Day one and Day seven will be long days (corresponding to the Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday respectively of actual time). Only one set of kills will go off at the end of Saturday/Sunday respectively however there will be twice as many time missions and the Mafia will get a free disruption attack at midday. An Alpha, Beta, Gamma team will go out on Midday and a new set will go out Afternoon, players and nodes may not be duplicated. Day Seven will have three teams of two Chrononaut's on Saturday and two teams of one chrononaught on Sunday (no gamma). There will be a midday report on Friday/Saturday, this will not trigger any Mafia/Village win conditions.

Bluecyan on
Β«13456723

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Chrononaut Sign-up Sheet
    1.enlightenedbum
    2.Phyphor Killed
    3.Brody Stasis
    4.Chamberlain Stasis
    5.Jdarksun
    6.Mrpaku
    7.AustinP0027

8.SaberOverEasy Killed
    9.Discrider Stasis
    10.38thDoe
    11.Bedlam
    12.PsychoCucumber
    13.JPants Killed
    14.Cythraul Stasis
    15.Burnage
    16.Kime
    17.Infidel
    18.kuhlmeye Killed

19.Wildcat
    20.Egos
    Stasis

Chrononauts' axilliary
    1.Auralynx
    2.Cythraul
    3.Discrider

Narrations
    Day Zero
    Midday One
    Day One
    Day Two
    Day Three
    Day Four
    Day Five

Bluecyan on
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    100,000,000 - (A)
    480 BC -(B) While the Spartans showed up to defend against the invasion of the Persians, the other city-states did not. While records are not perfect most blamed incorrectly labeled signs for the problem. Regardless 300 warriors alone stood no chance and the Persians invaded thus setting the foundation for what we would consider Western Civilization.
    330AD - (A)
    1492 - (B) It is unsure what caused the incident, but Sweeden and Spain began a decade long competition to see which country would be the first to sail around the world. Neither would be successful however, due to the discovery of the new world. Spain's ship sank, years later it was recovered with evidence of high impact explosives ripping the boat into pieces. The Sweedish landed in what would be the Carolinas and claimed the the new lands Erikland.
    1765 - (B) King George III ruled over the Eriklands just and fairly. It was often said his wife, Sarah Lennox, had taken an interest in the colonies and may have been a major reason the colonies kept a strong connection the motherland.
    1789 - (B) Several French aristocracy escape the revolutionary, later proving instrumental in ending the French Revolution early
    1861 - (B) The Northern British states of Erikland never found the Southern plans for Jackson's invasion and was forced to sue for peace after New Dover was sieged
    1939 - (A)
    1959 - (A) Despite limited funding, Canada managed to become the first nation to reach the moon, thanks in large part to an unprecedented advancement in technology. Unfortunately due to the disaster of that trip they lost face in the internation community and their exploits later improved upon by the Northern British States of Ericland.
    1977 - (B) Despite high opening night sales, Star Wars is quickly lambasted by critics and forgotten to all but a cult following

Time Strain: 8

Bluecyan on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I am a massive sucker for games with this concept.

signup

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    How can I resist such complexity?

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I have not read the op

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I hope you're not expecting me to be awake

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I do hope I'll be able to take a minor souvenir - say, perhaps, the head of T-Rex.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Death by time paradox sounds like a good time

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alright, time travel! Time to go back and have our mom be sexually attracted to us!

What? Back to the Future shows that’s what you do with time travel.

Hmm
    Considering stable time loops and all
    If Marty could have just become Marty's dad, everything should have worked out fine.

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    A dark wind blows, someone you know will die soon...

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Last game I didn't have much time to play, so it's good that this one's all about fixing that fact.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Kronus huh? I don't really agree with your baby-eating principles. I do enjoy Saturdays though. Hmm.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    In fact, Ive already killed you two days from now...

Bedlam on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    A dark wind blows, someone you know will die soon...

38th needs more chrono trigger games. Well more chrono trigger actually, chrono cross lost something. Actually maybe Chrono trigger was enough chrono trigger, the DS extended version made me kind of hate the game.

38thDoE on steam

Chrono Trigger was something that I spent an inordinate amount of time on in my youth and still has a special place.

I agree with you, having tried Chrono cross, it really just isn’t the same. I’m also a bit worried about ever going back. Like the memories are so pristine, that actually going through it all again it would be impossibly o live up to.

Also, I am no longer 13 years old....

Replaying it is fun and you should do so, it holds up very well. The DS version added a tremendously unneeded plot tie in to chrono cross and a ton of fetch quests and really destroyed the magic of the game.

38thDoE on steam

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Chrono Trigger was something that I spent an inordinate amount of time on in my youth and still has a special place.

I agree with you, having tried Chrono cross, it really just isn’t the same. I’m also a bit worried about ever going back. Like the memories are so pristine, that actually going through it all again it would be impossibly o live up to.

Have you heard about time-travel my good sir? Works wonders for problems such as these.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I'll play if @Burnage plays.

OrokosPA.png

Have you heard about time-travel my good sir? Works wonders for problems such as these.

That’s the thing about time travel, you can go back to any time you remember, but you can’t go back to being the person you remember.

Not that I’m entirely sure I would WANT to be 13 again, but it certainly was a simpler time...

I wonder how many lotteries I can win before they all start checking my ID at the door...

• PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    Traveler 7612 reporting in.
    Welcome to the 21st.

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• PredaPreda Registered User regular

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: Β»
    I'll play if @Burnage plays.

I signed up two days ago.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Timey wimey?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Well then...

OrokosPA.png
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    kime wrote: Β»
    Timey wimey?

Tea-may we-may?

Kimey Limey Timey Wimey

OrokosPA.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Kime and Lime? No, we don't do that here.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I literally signed up just so I could vote for Kime. Felt good to get him killed on day one again.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Still on vacation so keep me in Time Suspension in case

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    This seems like a basic, straightforward game

PSN: the-K-flash
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Reserve

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    !Sign up, please?

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    !sign up

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I will !sign up

But only because it would be difficult (I hope) for the host to grudge vote me.

I will !sign up

But only because it would be difficult (I hope) for the host to grudge vote me.

@Chamberlain, I am sorry to say the game is set up for exactly 20, and unfortunately I use player count for a lot of the balancing, team count and game length. I have added to you to the reserves list.

To everyone, looks like we will be starting this Saturday. I will plan on sending out role PMs Friday night with opening narration after the last one is sent out. I am honestly floored by the speed and enthusiasm in the sign-ups, for which I am attributing entirely to @Locus ' excellent last game.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Gah! Grudged anyway!

First day is a weekend? Oh nooo

38thDoE on steam