As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I can understand why bugs exist in one game and not the other.

In SP I believe the game loads in 'chunks' which is why if someone joins you co-op they rubber band to your location, because the game literally doesn't exist outside of a sphere of the single player host.

Whereas on a server, the whole game is running at once, and I believe everything is individually tracked. So if there are bugs with that tracking, it might not appear in SP because things get 'refreshed' when you reload an area.

For example. You can mine all the Iron just north of the newbie river by those cannibal camps. But if you run to the collapsed bridge, by the time you get back to the iron area it will all have respawned. So will all of the rocks and trees and creatures you've mined/cutdown/cutdown.

No, things respawn in singleplayer based on the respawn timer you set in the server panel, not based on reloading areas. I've tested this quite a bit and it holds up for resources and for creatures. Edit: the example you give works because at the default respawn speed, running from those iron deposits to the bridge and back takes longer than the timer. But change that multiplier enough and you could run there and back twice (or more) with no respawns.

Are you sure? I've tested the opposite. I've also tested just quitting the game and rejoining, and everything's respawned.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I can understand why bugs exist in one game and not the other.

In SP I believe the game loads in 'chunks' which is why if someone joins you co-op they rubber band to your location, because the game literally doesn't exist outside of a sphere of the single player host.

Whereas on a server, the whole game is running at once, and I believe everything is individually tracked. So if there are bugs with that tracking, it might not appear in SP because things get 'refreshed' when you reload an area.

For example. You can mine all the Iron just north of the newbie river by those cannibal camps. But if you run to the collapsed bridge, by the time you get back to the iron area it will all have respawned. So will all of the rocks and trees and creatures you've mined/cutdown/cutdown.

No, things respawn in singleplayer based on the respawn timer you set in the server panel, not based on reloading areas. I've tested this quite a bit and it holds up for resources and for creatures. Edit: the example you give works because at the default respawn speed, running from those iron deposits to the bridge and back takes longer than the timer. But change that multiplier enough and you could run there and back twice (or more) with no respawns.

Are you sure? I've tested the opposite. I've also tested just quitting the game and rejoining, and everything's respawned.

Quitting and rejoining does respawn everything. I am positive about the respawn timer - I tested the bejezus out of it. Unless they broke it somehow in the last patch (nothing would surprise me).

Edit: actually, on consideration: I think it's both. Like, the game does the thing you're saying and reloads everything in an area if you move far enough away and back in but also uses the respawn timer for things that are within the area if you just stay in that area. That's what I was testing - how long I could stand in one spot and wait for stuff to reappear.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do any of you have experience with those weapon and armor upgrade kits?

What's that all about? I've always skipped those recipes in the past, but if they enhance my damage and/or durability, I might want to reconsider and take them.

Trying to nail down my game plan when I make the switch to PS4 next week.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Do any of you have experience with those weapon and armor upgrade kits?

What's that all about? I've always skipped those recipes in the past, but if they enhance my damage and/or durability, I might want to reconsider and take them.

Trying to nail down my game plan when I make the switch to PS4 next week.

I've used a few of them. They are all give-and-take items. Increasing a weapon's damage, for instance, reduces its durability. In fact, most of the modifiers reduce durability. I don't recall what the reduction percentage was but it was fairly significant - like 20% or something.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Eww. Gross.

• Options
    Is there a better way to repair weapons/armor than just walking around with a bag of iron?

• Options
    There are repair kits. You have to spec into them.

I never have, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness, I only know that they exist.

• Options
    They work.... weirdly. Like, the simple one is a 20% repair, the next one up is 40%, then 60% (not sure if there's higher). But - the simple doesn't repair 20% of the item's durability like you might think. Instead, it repairs an item UP TO 20%. So if it has at least 20% already, the kit does nothing. If it has, say, 16% it brings it up to 20%.

That said, they are super convenient since they work on any material.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Is there one that restores 100%?

• Options
    Not last I looked.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Tried to venture into the north again. Man those fighters with pikes just rip you apart. Did manage to get a small base established before I died. Just no bed yet. So all the way back to newbie river I went. Fun fun.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    Keep in mind that bedrolls are permanent now. You're just only allowed to have one at a time.

• Options
    Keep in mind that bedrolls are permanent now. You're just only allowed to have one at a time.

Yea, I had forgot about that until i saw the re spawn options. I was just goofing off up north anyway.

Going to start from scratch come May 8 since Funcom is suggesting even private servers do a database wipe. Will probably set my server to 2x exp, and 2x harvest for awhile. Just tell I am caught up to were I am now.

• Options
    Yeah I'm going to restart my SP game on release too. Will busy myself until then. I've still never visited the city...

• Options
    I'm going to be starting over just because I'll be moving to console. I'm actually very excited for the restart, and I'm eagerly looking forward to Tuesday.

I wonder if the world database files will be cross platform compatible? Like if I make a backup of my server on Steam, can I load that world to a private server on PS4?

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I have purchased this.

I nearly died of thirst and then murdered someone by hacking them to death from behind with a stone axe while they were fighting for their life against a turtle-thing and then made clothing from the plants their blood fed. After, I drank from the river. It was good.

Yes. I will enjoy this game.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Well, the single-player physics bug has at least made it to the "known issues" part of the patch notes as of this morning. I guess that's progress?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Very nice to see this finally release, altho from reading the last few posts it looks like Funcom has some work left to do. Think I'll run a private server for now, perhaps we can get another PA server going once Funcom resolves the most serious problems ?

• Options
    I'm still eagerly anticipating playing and exploring tonight. My buddy and I that I'm switching to PS4 with, we've been making a rough plan for what to do. Our main goal is to build-up and get to the Swamp by the end of tonight.

Our rough outline is to level 1-10 on the newbie river, get some crude weapons and armor, and building materials, and then move inland and re-found our base in the desert, which we call "Midbase." (Because the location is pretty much right in the middle of the map.)

We will build up Midbase, and tech our way towards iron weapons and medium armor.

According to the launch newspost from today, the Swamp is intended for level 20-40. So we will level to 20 at Midbase and then we'll head out to the swamp. We'll plop down a simple spawn house, that will have only the bare essentials: cookfire, bedrolls, and an artisan table, and then we'll set out exploring and in search of a permanent base location in the swamp.

Hopefully if we play 3-4 hours tonight we can get that all accomplished. It's a fairly ambitious plan, but that's what we want to do tonight.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Well, I'm liking the breadth of options available in Single Player. Feels strange to be stealing eggs and killing those little runty guys with a stone axe again.

• Options
    Well.

My initial review of the release version:

Crash!

Rinse. Repeat. Several times.

Hrm. :bigfrown:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So.

How is this?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I loved the Early Access.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Hey dudes. First-time caller, er, player. Just done a couple of hours in single player so far (PC version). It's rather good, isn't it?

Well.

My initial review of the release version:

Crash!

Rinse. Repeat. Several times.

Hrm. :bigfrown:

Sad to hear that from you of all people. A couple of hours in and it's been problem free for me. And I did install the EA version before the release patch so it's probably not an update versus fresh install kind of thing. (Maybe it's not affecting SP?) Hope your luck improves, or has improved already since this post!

Well, the single-player physics bug has at least made it to the "known issues" part of the patch notes as of this morning. I guess that's progress?

I hope so... my lady has some very long hair, it would be shame for it to stop moving.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Crashing appears to be mod related. I mean, I should have guessed as much, but since all of the mods I use were updated in the last couple days, I figured they were probably ok.

Oh well. Problem solved anyway.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Didn't even think of that. Derp. Glad it's working now.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Going to wait for mods to stabilize and what not before I start a single player game or wait for a server to pop up. Not sure how much time I can really commit and I don't want to level up multiple characters necessarily.

Still eager to play again.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    So.

How is this?

I kinda like it.

WLZ0452.png

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I have over 400 hours on record on Steam, and I just bought it for PS4.

One could say that I really like it. A lot.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    so i decided to grab a copy a day late so 10$ more for me.

will we be getting a coop server for PA degenerates?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I went ahead and did a complete server wipe. Wanted to create a new character, and see the new intro. Just hit level 20, and going to call it a night. Luckily I am home tomorrow, so can get about 8 hours in. Not seeing many changes, but I am just a little south of the pirate ship. Will hang here for awhile.

No crashes, so I am glad for that.

I'm at 513 hours played, but will be staying on PC.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    This may be the first game I've played where autophagy was a potentially useful tactic.

And on that note, long pork is a fine ration to begin one's bloody domination of a region with. Praise Derketo for exile camps and their endless supply of positively delicious men!

EvilRedSonja dines well this night. Now to go find iron and become heavy metal!

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Newbie question here. Maybe kind of dumb but I can't find an answer. Containers. How do I deposit things in my personal stash without looting it? I see that containers' inventory open up just by getting close enough and I can select things to remove but if I open my inventory it closes the container's inventory. If I interact with it to open both at the same time it loots everything in the container. That's fine for looting mobs but I don't want to empty out my personal stash every single time I want to put something in it. Getting real tired of that.

• Options
    When the container inventory pops up automatically, that's actually just an "inventory preview."

To open the inventory for real, press E on it if you're on PC, or Square/X if you're on console.

Basically all the inventory preview does is allow quick access to the Loot All button. If you need more than that you need to interact with the object and open it fully.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Hey do we want a dedicated server stood up? I can do that if people want it?

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    When the container inventory pops up automatically, that's actually just an "inventory preview."

To open the inventory for real, press E on it if you're on PC, or Square/X if you're on console.

Basically all the inventory preview does is allow quick access to the Loot All button. If you need more than that you need to interact with the object and open it fully.

I do that and it just goes ahead and loots the container which is not what I want. I did change the button for interaction though. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Edit: Yep. It was because I changed the keybindings and there was a conflict.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Are you on PC or console? On PC the loot all function is on Space. You aren't accidentally pressing space when you open the container are you?

Speaking of PC/Console, learning to play this game on console has been an interesting experience. Some things are actually much easier. Like for example, since console uses a weapon wheel, you can do quick-repairs from the weapon wheel without needing to fully open your inventory. And there are a few other shortcuts I discovered last night as well, that I'm forgetting now that I'm sitting here at work.

But on the flip side, other stuff is a lot more awkward without a KBAM. For example, when you're in building mode in console, there's a toggle that switches your building pieces from being on the X axis and the Y axis. On my PS4 this toggle is on Triangle. So when you pull out a building block, it defaults to the X axis, and when you press the L/R triggers it rotates on that axis. Then if you press Triangle to toggle your mode, the L/R triggers then become a vertical axis and you can raise/lower the block. It works, but it isn't nearly as intuitive as doing it on PC.

One last thing about swapping to console last night... I got a G-Portal private server, and I set up all the parameters. I left most of the parameters on default values, just because I want to have as "true" of an experience as I can, even though I'm playing with just me and a buddy right now. But anyway, with the combat sliders all set at their default values of 1.0, we were literally getting one-shot by every enemy. My buddy had the first encounter of the evening with an Imp, and it killed him in a single hit. I was like "well maybe you just suck" so I went and attacked an imp and I also got one-shot. Then we got one-shot by shalebacks and other starter area creatures.

Is that right? Why are we getting one-shot with the default values for combat all set at 1.0? I had to turn PlayerDamageReceived down to 0.5 and I also turned down NPCCombatDamage to 0.5 just so we could survive.

• Options
    Interesting to see the console vs PC control comparison; I'm playing on PC with a controller, as is my habit where possible; and looking at the keybinding menu there straight-up aren't quite enough buttons for everything you need, at least not elegantly, so I'm having to divert to the keyboard for the odd minor thing. And the inventory is definitely easier to navigate with the mouse. I don't mind any of this, it's just an observation.

At least the game is civilised enough to switch between UIs depending on controls used at that moment. I really like that in a game. Using the controller, there's the radial wheel menu, switch to the keyboard for a minute and the hot bar appears, and disappears again as soon as I'm back on the controller.

Also I switched to the alternate controller layout, as I realised I was automatically hitting X and Y when I unexpectedly got into a fight. That does leave Interact on RT, which is weird, but it's saved my bacon a couple of times now.

• Options
    Problem with the alternate controller layout - it makes bows near useless unless aiming at a static target. Hmm. Might have to switch back.

In other news, the SP hair physics bug got me, but for some reason shortly after I noticed it, the physics came back on? Must've been something I did. I was switching between first person and third person in that brief session, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I'm digging this game. I might even be tempted to join a MP game. Are we having (or do we have) a PA PvE or co-op server up? I doubt I'd last five minutes in PvP.

And, with MP in mind, can someone tell me more about BattlEye that the game prompts me for every time I boot it up? Seems some people really don't like that, but you know, people bitching on the internet, pinches of salt etc.