As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum III: Now is the burning hellfire of our discontent

123457»

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    What are people's early turns strats? I never seem to be able to get my orders up enough. Trying to laser focus on a single stat never works out with the tribute received but scattering upgrades around means you never hit the extra order slots.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    2nd place!

Okay, so here's what happened...

Wolf goes on a heretic rampage. Everyone else bands together to take him down except...I saw a better opportunity in helping him. He gets eliminated and I'm still in distant last place. So I made a deal with him to use deceit rituals to hinder everyone else while framing Wolf for it. He would eliminate everyone else (before taking Pandemonium and getting me 2nd place as the only other remaining player) while I kept legions away from his stronghold. I even stole Auralynx's destruction bonus artifact. At 5 cunning + 4 deceit bonus from Prince of Lies trait, I was never failing rolls and it looked like the plan would work.

Except I slipped up. I thought Wolf's legion with the orb of oblivion would be enough to keep Auralynx's legion away, so I went a turn without freezing/redirecting them. What I didn't count on was him completely wiping the legion out with destruction rituals and moving in range of the stronghold right before he gets regent and gets to move again before anything else. So that was that. What I really should have done is move his legion right next to the orb of oblivion and had Wolf attack him.

There was a tiny part of me that want to make a try for Auralynx's stronghold right when he defeated Wolf. But the pathetic stats of my legion plus my pathetic move speed plus only one token left to go plus whatever tricks Auralynx might pull made it way too risky. Better to just accept 2nd.

Now, even though I helped heretic Wolf, no one was more freaked to see him get excommunicate than me because....

...I was a kingmaker. Based on last game, I had picked Wolf to win and would trump him in case he won. I went heavy deceit ritual build, thinking I could nudge him toward victory without doing anything obvious, and that I could get away with Sloth since I thought I wouldn't care about moving and conquering. Turns out Sloth is PAINFUL. I almost would have rather gone with -1 order slot. Anyway I didn't care about my prestige score so I just sat back concentrating on anyone who was a current threat to Wolf's ascension.

And then he went rogue. You can't win via kingmaker if your mark is excommunicated! "FUUUUuuuuuck!" I guess he was paranoid about 2nd and 3rd place teaming up to beat his prestige score. I frantically looked through the rules to see if there was any way I could become Blood Vassal to an excommunicated player, but all diplomacy is frozen once that happens. The best remaining course was to concoct the plan to help him on the promise that he would kill everyone else but me.

So my game started as pulling the strings behind the scenes, had my puppet go out of control and start killing everyone, trying to convince the out of control puppet to kill me last, and finally a freak slip up taking out the puppet which dumped me face first ass backwards into the position of new Lieutenant of hell, which I will serve totally completely loyally!

I am curious why Wolf thought he wasn't going to win via prestige.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    My starting build was

2 Cunning, 2 Charisma, 0 everything else, Slothful, Kingmaker, Prince of Lies.

First priority was getting Charisma up to 3 (the sweet spot, imo), then getting Cunning up to 4 for the extra order. Along the way I got tons of flame tribute so I started raising Destruction(?) but only got to 3 before the brimstone ran out.

I do have a beef with the starting legion randomness. It weighs melee and infernal as equal to ranged when we know that isn't true. Lucking out with the ranged stat (plus a helpful attribute) or having everything dumped into infernal can make all the difference. Getting stuck with no nearby places of power that your starting legion can take has a good chance of blowing your chance from the start.

MrBody on
  • Options
    no recap?

• Options
    BUMP (for great discussion)

• Options
    Man it was months ago what do you want from me?!

IIRC I went hard in for a smiting build on the initial build, but then the right tribute never seemed to come up to raise the relevant stats. So I ended up piecemeal stat raising and never hitting extra order slots.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    deanimatedeanimate Registered User new member
    Are any of you still playing? I'd love to get some games going again :)

• Options
    This game is long over. I guess people would still be down for others?

• Options
    I’d play, but can’t commit to being show runner again.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    deanimatedeanimate Registered User new member
    There is a discord here full of people playing Solium Infernum if anyone would like to join :)

https://discord.gg/UsPS2Pr