As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile]Betrayal League December 7th

mccartmccart Registered User regular
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
10472405015_2a0c5e457a_o.jpg

Path of Exile is a Free to Play action RPG with a large amount of customization and playstyles. The developers have stated that they will never add "Pay-to-Win" features to the in-game store and generally the store contains cosmetic micro-transactions as well as some very useful account upgrades. It's not uncommon to see Path of Exile be cited as an example of Free-to-Play "done right".

The gameplay is similar to other arpgs although it can be a little slow to start. Builds are often very involved and can include several unique items that play off one another to create powerful effects. There are three sub-classes for each of the main classes along with a massive passive tree that allows players to tune builds to their liking.

Upcoming Content
Betrayal

https://youtu.be/d8Cpi4dFjm8

Useful Links:
GGG's trade site
Wiki
poe.trade 3rd parth trade indexer
online passive tree planner
vorici chrome calculator
official forums
poe.ninja economic snapshot/price tracker

Trading
For the majority of players trading is facilitated by looking for items on a third party indexer called poe.trade. Once an item a player wants is found, they can whisper the seller (usually by clicking a link on the search page which auto-copies a message that can be pasted in the game client) to see if a trade can be made. Sometimes this process is quick and easy, other times it is extremely frustrating. The developers have been teasing about improvements to this system for some time, but at the moment any concrete information is absent.

To have items appear on poe.trade a player can purchase a premium stash from the in game store and then elect to have the contents of that stash tab be public which will allow indexers to see the items as well as any prices the owner may have set on those items. It is also possible to list items for sale without premium stash tabs, this can be done using a third party application: either Acquisition or Procurement. These tools can look through the items in your stash tabs and then auto-generate text to either be pasted in, or automatically posted to a sale thread on the forums. The sale thread will then be read by the indexer sites mentioned previously.

It's also possible to trade via trade chat or by trying to buy/sell things on the forums, but doing this is incredibly difficult and time consuming and not recommended. New players will also almost certainly be taken advantage of in either of those places immediately.

It's totally viable to play the entire game without trading at all. Many players do this, some use the newly added SSF (solo self found) feature which has a separate ladder and makes it impossible for the player to group or trade with others. Players can opt out of SSF mode at anytime, thought hey will be removed from the SSF ladder.

PA guild
There is a forum guild, here are people that can invite you:
@mccart

If you are a member of the guild, feel free to use the guild stash as you like, I generally put items in there that I would like anyone to take, and I assume most people do the same.

mccart on

• mccartmccart Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Incursion looks great. Wonder whats going to be buggy in this one heh.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Incursion looks great. Wonder whats going to be buggy in this one heh.

hopefully this won't be as bad a rushjob as pokemon league was

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im ready to INCURSE lmao if u kno what i mean boys haha :^)

obF2Wuw.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Hahaha ... stupid temple! I will miss Einhjar but I’m glad there is a new league.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also this league theme explains why so many new vaal skills also looks thematic and cool as fuk and so much less boring than bestiary

obF2Wuw.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I kinda wanted to do mapping in the flashback league, but I got distracted by the Destiny 2 expansion and am only partway through act 8.

Also, like half my gear is kind of low level and should probably be replaced, but any time I try to compare items I feel like an idiot.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    More Incursion info from ZiggyD, including an interview with Chris Wilson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWCpyAq6JyE

It's a pure clear-speed league which is...alright. The new zone sounds rad but I kinda liked that Bestiary made you think about stuff instead of "PLAY THE META BUILD GO FAST GO GO GO" all the time.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Cool video but that awkward stilted laughing was so cringe.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The way that beasts constantly spawn a bunch of adds was really at odds with the "slow down and think" aspect of the league. It also made it incredibly difficult on Xbox to monitor beast health and time the net.

Carpy on
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The way that beasts constantly sudden spawn a bunch of adds was really at odds with the "slow down and think" aspect of the league. It also made it incredibly difficult on Xbox to monitor beast health and time the net.

That's the part I hated the most, especially in more constricted circumstances. I still think beastcrafting and the bestiary could have remained, but sans the nets and the high challenge/drops.

I really hope incursion gets to stay because another section of the game to invest time in apart from the repetitive Labyrinth and maps is a worthy addition.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I kinda wanted to do mapping in the flashback league, but I got distracted by the Destiny 2 expansion and am only partway through act 8.

Also, like half my gear is kind of low level and should probably be replaced, but any time I try to compare items I feel like an idiot.

Yeah, I sorta burned out as well. I at least managed to get to level 75 so I get some rewards, but I just don't feel like trying to map in the Flashback league, and I'm also tired of Bestiary so I might just call it quits until Incursion starts... that definitely seems like it could be fun.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    It's become my habit to pick up a new supporter pack for $30 when they come out, then upgrade to it's $60 form a couple weeks later. Accordingly, I bought the Conqueror pack because that whole Spanish Inquisition look is pretty dope. I actually think the other one with the Aztec influence might look cooler, but it's similar to the stuff I already have and I wanted a more heavy armor-y look.

Used the points on more Sinnocence boxes and didn't get a single rare =/ But I did get the other half to some of the uncommons I already had, which is fine. My rare percentage went down from 15% to 11% over all the boxes I've opened, which is frustrating. But the four rares I've gotten, none of them were dupes and two of them were the Innocence Wings and Weapon Skin, so my luck's not all bad. And I did get Innocence Lightning Warp, which I really wanted.

Accordingly, my first Incursion build is gonna be something Lightning-based. I want to take a closer look at Tendrils-CWC-Arc, but I might go with Lightning Strike, because I've also got two copies of Innocence Herald and the effects on that are pretty.

Ooh, maybe Charged Dash? even standalone Arc is getting buffed against single targets. This ought to be a real fun league.

edited May 2018
    Charged Dash Impulsa explodes could be fun. I think my Incursion starter will be something fire. That witch prolif will prolly win the day.

Jubal77 on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    @mccart that GC build is stupid good at bosses. I just had the smoothest Innocence kill. He essentially never left his add phase.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    GC Totems has been the easiest run through the story I've had so far, and it was my first character ever with 0 currency. My gear was terrible, but it melts bosses so easily.

gc totems needs either 4 uniques or 1 and curse remove flask

3 of those uniques are like 1c each

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I might consider jumping back in to this for the next league. Not sure if the burnout has fully faded yet or not though.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Blah! I am here! I have taken a break from a season!
    What have I missed?
    Mccart has summoned me with the blasted @ feature.

Twenty Sided on
    Blah! I am here! I have taken a break from a season!
    What have I missed?
    Mccart has summoned me with the blasted @ feature.

We are all going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHxFa08XE3w

I'm now thinking Storm Call/Vaal Storm Call + the new Lightning Spire trap for some burst potential? I've already played an Arc character, it'd be nice to keep trying new things.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out how to play a Frost Blades/crit build currently. It builds really nicely from a shadow/assassin, but I feel like it needs something else to beef it up.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    edited May 2018
    What's meta now? It looks like they buffed the piss out of Hierophant so I'll probably just do some sort of totem Hidden Potential MoM build again to ease back into things.

Twenty Sided on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Hierophant + any totem seems to make really effective and cheap league starters if you're into that. Glacial cascade and frostbolts both seem really common, with a bunch of others in the mix. At the end of the day, being able to plunk down totems and run around dodging stuff is just really damn effective, particularly with Hierophant being the clear cut choice now.

I hadn't really played much up until 3.2, and found this guide to be really useful for a bunch of fun and effective builds with the ascendancy changes. Most of them are really cheap to start too.

alva valai is an anagram of vaal i vaal

oq1y1udoweky.png

obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 2018
    I Vaal Vaal.

Vaaling Vaal orbs confirmed.

Absalon on
    Watching some of ZiggyD's stream from super early this morning, checking out a series of Incursions. You are definitely going to want a faster clearing build for these. And also some Chaos Resistance.

Absalon wrote: »
    I Vaal Vaal.

Vaaling Vaal orbs confirmed.

Cutedog is that you???

Rius wrote: »
    Watching some of ZiggyD's stream from super early this morning, checking out a series of Incursions. You are definitely going to want a faster clearing build for these. And also some Chaos Resistance.

Dialects in the south of Sweden are full of diphthongs but it sounds to me that NZers glide even more.

edited May 2018
    I did a final build to mess around with BV Witch. I modified Mathils build a bit to make it more map clear-y. Put crit restore on all my normal flasks. Added Area and power charges. Maxing run speed as much as I can and using that new Gluttony belt as it seemed like a good application. Bosses still melt with conc effect in. Mobs still explode from being elemental converted and having all of the heralds. Using 2 tulborns still and things still melt.

Edit: Man surviving will be an issue but with 2 void batteries this thing can get up to 3 million dps. And that is not without crazy procs either. A nice reminder to me why people do elemental conversions/crit heh.

Jubal77 on
    edited May 2018
    I think I'm gonna do a TecSlam T H I C C J U G G to start the league, level with Sunder like a tryhard, farm the Uber Lab some. I really want to play a Storm Call or Arc character but it's not like I have to start with either of those.

Or maybe Infernal Blow since it looks to be pretty awesome after the redesign?

Rius on
    thiccboi is always a good call

I wanna start witha tornado shot pathfinder/deadeye, but it's such a shit to do a league starter with bows

im going to do my melee ignite elementalist build that ive done every single league start like a moran only this time it will be... good............

obF2Wuw.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I wanna start witha tornado shot pathfinder/deadeye, but it's such a shit to do a league starter with bows

You can get pretty far with cheap uniques like Storm Cloud or Death's Harp and then grind prophecies for the upgrades

Or just pick up a Chin Sol a few days in for a chaos or two

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    PiptheFair wrote: »

You can get pretty far with cheap uniques like Storm Cloud or Death's Harp and then grind prophecies for the upgrades

Or just pick up a Chin Sol a few days in for a chaos or two

oh yeah, chin sol is pretty much a must for any bow build as a boss-killer with barrage

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2111897

is the build I was gonna use

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I love bow builds but I've played so many

But that new Rain of Arrows looks SO GOOD

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Ice shot ignition build though. POE like it’s 2012

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    It'll be nice to play selfcast Flameblast without needing RotP.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    I ran dual Apep's rage with Dark Pact totems in the last league I played.
    Dude got one shot to a random Breachlord spawn despite having something like 11k hp.
    Seriously, I'm traumatized by Breach now.

edited May 2018
    Its still happens. Beast had some pretty big rips from the highlight vids I have seen on youtube. The bomber affix on them being the most blood thirsty.

Jubal77 on
This discussion has been closed.