As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Good lord those look good

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    I think they're Blanche's, which explains a lot.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I like that he paints them how he sketches. It’s all got a sense of movement to it.

Badablack on
    FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Purple
    Ok, miniatures mans and womans, I need some help.

I'm looking for a miniature to use as a Star Wars Legacy Era Imperial Knight. Y'know, one of these guys:
    160?cb=20100313063618

I don't want to just use one of the WoTC prepainted plastic miniatures, because I want to customize and paint it up for a friend, and I don't want the detail on the model to be terrible right out of the gate. I've tried to make something comparable in Heroforge, but with their costume pieces it's just not coming out close enough for my taste. At least not without a lot of additional sculpting.

I'm not afraid of a little/some sculpting though, so if there's something that's close or otherwise a good base to start from I'm all eyes/ears.

Help me, Obi Thread Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Maybe something from Anvil Industries?
    Although you'll end up with enough parts for 5 of him.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Maybe something from Anvil Industries?
    Although you'll end up with enough parts for 5 of him.

I just looked over their entire product catalog, and while I'm not seeing too many immediately useful things, I am seeing a whole lot of stuff that makes my hobby/kitbash hindbrain salivate. There's some really cool stuff in there!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Nips wrote: »
    Ok, miniatures mans and womans, I need some help.

I'm looking for a miniature to use as a Star Wars Legacy Era Imperial Knight. Y'know, one of these guys:
    160?cb=20100313063618

I don't want to just use one of the WoTC prepainted plastic miniatures, because I want to customize and paint it up for a friend, and I don't want the detail on the model to be terrible right out of the gate. I've tried to make something comparable in Heroforge, but with their costume pieces it's just not coming out close enough for my taste. At least not without a lot of additional sculpting.

I'm not afraid of a little/some sculpting though, so if there's something that's close or otherwise a good base to start from I'm all eyes/ears.

Help me, Obi Thread Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Not perfect, but the new Van Saar models for necromunda might be close?

01.jpg

The next tubes and pony tail are separate pieces, and the weapons/arms are totally modular. Might be a decent base? Can greenstuff the shoulderpads smooth, and or do some modifications. And the kit comes with tons of bits, enough to make 10 people with plenty left over, but $40 for the box.

(I also just want more people here to get/paint more necromunda stuff too)

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Been painting again!

X-Men Nomads for upcoming Tunguska release. Quite proud of them really.

IMG_20180513_185558.jpg

• Options
    Incidentally does anyone have any experience with a simple way to do a glow effect?

I'm wanting to paint my JSA with glowing under armour sections, but I don't know how to do that sort of neon effect

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Incidentally does anyone have any experience with a simple way to do a glow effect?

I'm wanting to paint my JSA with glowing under armour sections, but I don't know how to do that sort of neon effect

I like using washes. Base the area you want to glow white, then wash away, then use white to pick out the edges and centre of the glowy bit. I use Nihilak oxide for holo stuff, Bloodthirster glaze for my Raven Guard glowy eyes and wartered down P3 arcane blue for misc other glowy stuff.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    In my deepest act of love so far, I gave my wife my Inquisitor Lok for her army since I hadn't bothered painting it for mine yet... in like 10 years.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Asher wrote: »

I like using washes. Base the area you want to glow white, then wash away, then use white to pick out the edges and centre of the glowy bit. I use Nihilak oxide for holo stuff, Bloodthirster glaze for my Raven Guard glowy eyes and wartered down P3 arcane blue for misc other glowy stuff.

I'm thinking red or green, not sure yet

Wanting a quite intimidating force so red is maybe more appropriate

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The most important part for convincing glow effects is the osl in my experience. It's alot easier to do on dark surfaces so I'd go for dark armour plates with glazes on the armour edges in the colour of the glow if you want glowy underarmour.

If you'd decide to go green instead of red it looks like GW is bringing out a new technical paint for their new ghost army.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Unrelated to much of anything, I reached the decal stage of the next model plane I was putting together, and everything is going absolutely swimmingly. Considering the planes are probably about equally old, I have to figure the other ones were just some strange non-standard water transfers that reacted terribly to mico-set/sol.
    I did still fuck up the mask for the camo on this one, so ... far from perfect. But at least it's good practice this time around for a thing I wanted practice with. I'll put up some pictures of the two of them when I finish this one.

• Options
    I'm not quite happy with all the different sneakers I painted on the elf team, but I have a game today so stopped screwing around with them and put a gloass coat on them for the decals. They're going to be all shiny and glistening for this match. Hopefully it helps with the dodge rolls.

Still have to decide on the base design.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Hey, guys, I'm having trouble stripping paint from an old stormwolf i want to give another go (paint is so thick and chunky, its become the worst model in my collection). Its been soaking in simple green for over 24 hours now and I'm only been able to get it down to mix of primer and basecoat remaining.

Any advice to give it some extra oomph? A scrub brush? Additional chemicals?

I want to get it down to straight grey plastic so i can clean up the model as well (My initial assembly was equally as bad as the paint job).

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    For some reason I thought it was a good idea to do all the gold trim first and then fill in the armor panels.

My current hypothesis is that I subconsciously hate myself.

zGV6DFzl.jpg
    I take it you hand painted all the gold in from black primer?

I actually like the method where the entire thousand sun is pure painted gold before you add any blue. Like, shade the gold and drybrush the gold and then add in your spots of blue. I do it for all my Thousand Sun corpses thst my wolves hover over. GW has a whole spray can for the gold to make it easy.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    finished this stormfang!

kxVNX3K.jpg
    MMIHm9S.jpg
    YGoCaVz.jpg

i've had this kit in my closet for like, 3 years now, and have been delaying putting it together after having such a bad time on that stormwolf i did (the one i'm currently trying to strip). i was more careful this time out, used an airbrush for base coating, and got much better results. i had to build a new canopy from styrene... not sure where the old one went, but my hand made one does the job.

Matrias on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    That looks amazing. Are all your space wolves in the grey rather than the blue, or did you pick it for the gunship?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I normally don't like my photos this close but I think this is the best pale skin tone I've done since I started
    f1g4zi74iw9x.png
    ucvxt1kr08do.png

• Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Really fallen behind lately, but PROGRESS!
    4mliv72h8tyu.jpg
    9spbbaxenss6.jpg
    n86o4aqbsx9k.jpg

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    That looks amazing. Are all your space wolves in the grey rather than the blue, or did you pick it for the gunship?

They're all grey. I tried to do the blue when i stsrted painting years ago, but i could never get it right. There was'nt a dedicat e d pot back then, and i couldn't get a consistant mix that looked good to me (what i really wanted was a slightly cold grey, but i could never manage it).

So i tried the grey and did it ever since. When people ask me about it, i just say they're fighting on a planet whose atmosphere+star desaturate blue, to makr them look like heresy era wolves, and i have rendered this optical illusion in faithful detail.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    i keep waffling on whether i should get into blood bowl or not, but its such a good game, and the new miniatures are freaking hawt.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    i keep waffling on whether i should get into blood bowl or not, but its such a good game, and the new miniatures are freaking hawt.

I agree as I kind of want to play it seeing the new pitches playmats and other things
    Just I would have to find people to play with......

• Options
    Asher wrote: »

I'm thinking red or green, not sure yet

Wanting a quite intimidating force so red is maybe more appropriate

So I tried this and it came out more pastel-y than I wanted. Do you think I want more or less thinned wash to make it more rich?

Also I'm vaguely tempted to try a silver base and then a red glaze rather than a wash.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    If it's too pastelly try a yellow base with a red/orange wash and highlight with yellow/white. It probably also depends on the red wash being bluish or orangey?

honovere on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Purple
    Has anyone here tried those chroma color shift paints? They were linked a couple times in the last thread, but I wondered if you could get them to not look metalic? GW is putting out a new nighthaunt(ghost) army and I was thinking of using the ethereal ghostly parts and painting them lightly in colorshift over white basecoat. Just enough to get a color change spooky effect. I figure if I do white and highlight it, then do something like the green<->blue shift it could be awesome.

edit: for those who don't know what I am talking about:
    greenstuffworld sells it, doesnt seem that expensive either for single colors.
    https://youtu.be/x6eXrZSX900

If I get blue/purple going, I could probably pull of a brighter orange for their cloth. I am trying not to do super grimdark colors on everything. I think I want these to be brighter.

Edit: a real question I have is, if I cant find a gloss white (vallejo makes one, but I dont think I can get locally), would a gloss varnish over the final white paint coat work instead?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I ordered some of their colorshift paints and inks for my tyranid. Gonna give them iridescent beetle shells. Not sure how well they’d work without the gloss black undercoat though, it might just look like bad glitter makeup.

• Options
    Has anyone here tried those chroma color shift paints? They were linked a couple times in the last thread, but I wondered if you could get them to not look metalic? GW is putting out a new nighthaunt(ghost) army and I was thinking of using the ethereal ghostly parts and painting them lightly in colorshift over white basecoat. Just enough to get a color change spooky effect. I figure if I do white and highlight it, then do something like the green<->blue shift it could be awesome.

edit: for those who don't know what I am talking about:
    greenstuffworld sells it, doesnt seem that expensive either for single colors.
    https://youtu.be/x6eXrZSX900

If I get blue/purple going, I could probably pull of a brighter orange for their cloth. I am trying not to do super grimdark colors on everything. I think I want these to be brighter.

Edit: a real question I have is, if I cant find a gloss white (vallejo makes one, but I dont think I can get locally), would a gloss varnish over the final white paint coat work instead?

I've used them to paint some screamers. I don't have a turntable so I can't demo, but they work pretty well for demons as @Dayspring can attest. I don't have a gloss black, so I did black primer -> gloss varnish -> Chameleon through an airbrush with no issues.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Yeah they look amazing in person

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I think they look better on the disc with the ridged surface than the screamers, but I'm certainly tempted to do a Daemon list with pretty much nothing but chameleon paints.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Hello thread.

Picked up a brush again. Work in progress and it's eBay fodder but it's been sat planned out and assembled in a drawer for like two years or more.

The nurglings will be attached to it.

81malgnpmw7o.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    That looks real nice. I’d be tempted to slap magnets on those nurglings and use them as wound markers for the rhino.

You know, if I had more time and magnets than sense.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    That looks real nice. I’d be tempted to slap magnets on those nurglings and use them as wound markers for the rhino.

You know, if I had more time and magnets than sense.

That's a boss idea and I wish I'd thought of it before pinning everything in place.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Fuck, I have to post after Kneel? Well, whatever, look at my manz!

I finished my prototype Inceptor scheme, and I fucking love how it turned out. As I got started, I was afraid it was way too light (the standard primaris armor color is going to be castellan green) but I am _pleased_ by how this turned out.

He's accompanied by by chaplain conversion who I think is... about fifteen years old? He was a victim of a varnish coat gone bad that I couldn't fix without painting over EVERYTHING and so he practically never came out, and mostly lingered in shame at the back of my shelf of assault marines. My earlier post about working with spraying shades for tints got me thinking, careful, judicious, repeated tinting with washes, especially black, could repair the varnish frosting. It also ended up giving what was flat black some depth, and subtle edge highlights where I didn't tint as heavily.

So all in all, I had a really productive painting day! Now, to just paint the other 5 Inceptors...

29EEw7q.gif

a1Ao7aw.jpg

Nn0gcpf.jpg

n9R64aV.jpg

The thing I'm not happy with is that I still can't freehand worth shit, not even something as simple as an Ouroboros so the Inceptor doesn't have a chapter symbol on his other pad. I'll have to see if someone local is willing to trade painting skill for hot dogs or something. :biggrin:

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    That green...

....so savoury

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Matrias wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    For some reason I thought it was a good idea to do all the gold trim first and then fill in the armor panels.

My current hypothesis is that I subconsciously hate myself.

zGV6DFzl.jpg
    I take it you hand painted all the gold in from black primer?

I actually like the method where the entire thousand sun is pure painted gold before you add any blue. Like, shade the gold and drybrush the gold and then add in your spots of blue. I do it for all my Thousand Sun corpses thst my wolves hover over. GW has a whole spray can for the gold to make it easy.

Nope, that's gold spray primer, wash and drybrush.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    That green...

....so savoury

And the recipe, so deliciously easy!

Undercoat back, basecoat castellan green, layer gretchin green, and then as guided by the wise words of Duncan, use a fine brush to line all the edges, joints, and recessed detail with agrax earthshade.

And that's it.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    If it's too pastelly try a yellow base with a red/orange wash and highlight with yellow/white. It probably also depends on the red wash being bluish or orangey?

Well I tried it with green, because I wanted to give that a go, I just happen to have a red glaze. I think washes inherently look a little dark and so I'm going to try glazing

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Hmmmm...

Primed a bunch of hormagaunts, and they're all... textured.

Can I lightly sand this, or am I boned?

This discussion has been closed.