As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My main base was in a kelp forest and had a scanning room, would highly recommend for getting teeth.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    At the same time, nothing in subnautica would make me happier than brutally murdering all life on that planet.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    At the same time, nothing in subnautica would make me happier than brutally murdering all life on that planet.

Even the peepers?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Even the peepers?

I want to make an entire chainmail suit out of peeper eyes. I'll wear the suit for all of 5 minutes until it spoils and then I'll throw it into the bioreactor that powers the machine that pumps plague agent directly into the oceans.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    My main base was in a kelp forest and had a scanning room, would highly recommend for getting teeth.

Yeah, I never had a problem with teeth either. My base wasn't actually in a kelp forest, but it was close enough to one that my scanner room could pick up the dropped teeth. Then I just went in with my seaglide and scooped them up. Now if I didn't have that then , they would be an absolute bastard to find by sight.
    cursedking wrote: »
    the one thing that I think is subtly neat about subnautica is that killing things is never really encouraged by the game. Like, you cook and eat fish but that's the complete end to the use of killing things. You don't harvest fish or creature parts by killing them, you don't even get anything if you kill leviathans. They just sit there twitching forever. I realized when I was like 3/4 of the way through the game that my behavior was way more pacifist than it normally is in games like this, just because it wasn't worth it to me to be violent.

I guess my fear reaction leans more towards "fight" than "flight". I know I don't get anything tangible out of murdering the aggressive sealife, what I get out of it is that they're dead and aren't trying to eat me anymore. Things like stalkers and sandthingies are a small enough threat that I can just avoid them, but more persistent predators like
    Crabsquids

in particular have to die. I realized after my trip to the Cave of Nope that I was probably only getting so much attention from them because they're attracted to light and the Prawn suit has a light in it that you can't switch off. After googling it seems like you actually can switch it off... by removing one of the prawn's two power cells. Strange that there's no button for that, but maybe I'll try doing that next time in lieu of murderpunching my way to my destination.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Picked this game up randomly after somehow ignoring it on release and my goodness this is exactly what I wanted out of NMS. I suppose Unknown Worlds (whose name I recognized and was gobsmacked to find out they did Natural Selection) focus was much tighter which have allowed them to make a better survival on an alien world package, but I still think it's a fair comparison.

. . . and even though I got stuck for 15 minutes trying to figure out "what the hell do I do?" in the beginning of the game (solved by leaving the pod and randomly seeing the prompt for "catch fish" pop up) I love how minimal the handholding and breadcrumbing is so far. Figuring out how to reach the big ship without a helper AI pointing you to what to do felt really satisfying.

Only thing I dislike is how finicky fish capturing feels. I assume that'll get easier as I go along. Also there have been some weird bugs (infinite health Stalker) and design choices (why couldn't I remove the O2 tank from my suit to make the upgrade) but none of those have marred my experience.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Picked this game up randomly after somehow ignoring it on release and my goodness this is exactly what I wanted out of NMS. I suppose Unknown Worlds (whose name I recognized and was gobsmacked to find out they did Natural Selection) focus was much tighter which have allowed them to make a better survival on an alien world package, but I still think it's a fair comparison.

. . . and even though I got stuck for 15 minutes trying to figure out "what the hell do I do?" in the beginning of the game (solved by leaving the pod and randomly seeing the prompt for "catch fish" pop up) I love how minimal the handholding and breadcrumbing is so far. Figuring out how to reach the big ship without a helper AI pointing you to what to do felt really satisfying.

Only thing I dislike is how finicky fish capturing feels. I assume that'll get easier as I go along. Also there have been some weird bugs (infinite health Stalker) and design choices (why couldn't I remove the O2 tank from my suit to make the upgrade) but none of those have marred my experience.

It's less that it gets easier and more that it becomes irrelevant after a certain point.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This game is great. Got the Sunbeam event, and just got lost around that area for awhile. Finding all the scannable objects is a great way of rewarding exploration.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Running through again, and experimenting with air pipes this time.

They look utterly ridiculous but made cave diving much less stressful than last time where I was juggling the 200m depth limit and dashing back and forth for air..

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    you can kind of farm teeth by dropping scrap and a gravity trap, which should draw nearby teeth in, iirc

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Really? Honestly by the end of it I was kind of attached to a lot of it. I would not have killed most of it even if I could have.

Warpers might have been an exception, admittedly.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Posting the last couple, 'cause.

As usual, watch at risk of spoilers cause they are near the end of their playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7rGqS0-RX4

https://youtu.be/CeVYlz8Yhjs

• Options
    Neebs crew finished their series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutKaaVZ-Lc

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

So they never figured out that there was a heat-resistant alternative to the pee water suit.

It's annoying when Let's Players don't do basic in-game research on the game they're playing. All they had to do was scan over the entire list of available schematics at least once, and they could have both saved whoever was playing a ton of hassle and gotten a bunch of jokes in about recognizing when your addiction is harming you.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

So they never figured out that there was a heat-resistant alternative to the pee water suit.

It's annoying when Let's Players don't do basic in-game research on the game they're playing. All they had to do was scan over the entire list of available schematics at least once, and they could have both saved whoever was playing a ton of hassle and gotten a bunch of jokes in about recognizing when your addiction is harming you.
    That would have ruined the whole roleplay element of the playthrough. If they were even halfway competent, they would have beat the game too quickly.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

That would have ruined the whole roleplay element of the playthrough. If they were even halfway competent, they would have beat the game too quickly.

Just in their final video they needed more of those green cube after drilling some from the generator. If they had waiting 5 seconds a new pile would have appeared right in front of them. They also didn't use the scanner room to help find lithium and other components. They probably found the reinforced suit while looking for the cyclops shield blueprint and just cut that part out. This is mostly for entertainment and they have really good editing/cuts.

If you were watching them live on twitch doing a full playthrough then yeah scream at them in the chat to pick up certain things.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Just discovered this thanks to Neebs. Haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm loving it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Neebs gave me the kick to finally play the copy I was gifted a while back.
    I love that they actually got a cameo in the final game (the call from Alterra HQ).

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I love that they actually got a cameo in the final game (the call from Alterra HQ).

lol. I just got to that. Still need to get plans for the cutting laser and the propulsion gun. I've come across some ship debris blocking two different doors and I can't get past till I get that propulsion gun.

and then I thought from the neebs videos there was a ton of blueprints on the island at an abandoned based, but I just did a big exploration run on that island and all I found was more alien stuff and some purple tablets.

did get the seamoth plans though :) But I want to build a base and I don't even have the multipurpose room plans yet.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    VoodooV wrote: »

lol. I just got to that. Still need to get plans for the cutting laser and the propulsion gun. I've come across some ship debris blocking two different doors and I can't get past till I get that propulsion gun.

and then I thought from the neebs videos there was a ton of blueprints on the island at an abandoned based, but I just did a big exploration run on that island and all I found was more alien stuff and some purple tablets.

did get the seamoth plans though :) But I want to build a base and I don't even have the multipurpose room plans yet.

Scan the actual abandoned base.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    ^
    Also, you'll find plenty of (broken) propulsion guns and laser cutters inside open cargo boxes all over the
    Crash Zone seabed (and elsewhere). Just watch out for Sammy the Safety Reaper!

Note also that there are two islands. You might not have been looking on the one that has the base.

EDIT: I admit that it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that some of those cargo boxes were not just scenery objects, but were open at one end and had fragments inside 'em. I was looking for a Seaglide et al just right out in the open, like a lot of the room parts, and having no luck.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    In general, scannable parts for a given blueprint will be found in specific biomes. There are some in-game hints in the VI voiceovers when you enter new areas. If you find one part of a thing somewhere, there's a good chance there's many more of those parts hiding around in the same biome.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Got the laser cutter and a propulsion gun fragment. So far the only annoying thing about this game is the feeling you need to quit when the sun sets, same as Minecraft. Yeah I got the flashlight, but still.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Scanner rooms, sea glide, and Sea Moth can help remedy that or you can eventually craft a bed to sleep through the night.

I do love how eerie the depths become at night, but yes it can be less helpful when you're looking for particular things.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Got the laser cutter and a propulsion gun fragment. So far the only annoying thing about this game is the feeling you need to quit when the sun sets, same as Minecraft. Yeah I got the flashlight, but still.

Lighting situation improves enormously once you get the Seaglide and the Seamoth. I actually got rid of the flashlight once I got the Seaglide (it has a flashlight built into it, though not quite as good as the actual flashlight), and the Seamoth lights up a big area; even in the darkest places, you can usually park the Seamoth back a little ways and it will light up a nice big area for you.

You'll reach a point where an overabundance of sunlight is not a problem, but darkness being an obstacle is definitely only an early tech level issue. It will go away pretty quick once you get geared up a little, and you'll be able to explore a lot more freely.

• Options
    got the propulsion cannon and the battery charger so things are starting to open up. I've got pretty much everything I need to build the mobile bay and the seamoth, I'm just waiting until I get the multipurpose room plans so I can start a base. I know where that 2nd island is now so I just have to go get it.

I'm just not sure where I should build my base.

• Options
    I have mine at a nice spot where the Grassy Plateau(s), Safe Shallows and Kelp Forest meet (approx 200 by -70 and 50 meters down). Here's a link to the imgur album.
    Another popular location is among the 'trees' of the Mushroom Forest.

• Options
    I built mine in the middle of one of the larger Kelp Forests because I like the aesthetics. Also convenient for finding Stalker Teeth, which are quite useful in late game.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I have mine at a nice spot where the Grassy Plateau(s), Safe Shallows and Kelp Forest meet (approx 200 by -70 and 50 meters down). Here's a link to the imgur album.

That's where I built my last base, too. It's fairly centralized, fairly safe, and deep enough to not have crowding issues but not so deep it's a hindrance.

I'd also recommend starting at least a temp base now, unless you plan to push for the multipurpose room really quickly. I usually plop down a foundation and put down a few straight tubes. You can fit everything you need on one side of the interior, and having storage and facilities that don't require you to go back to the life pod save a lot of time. You can always get the materials back if you need to.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options

looks nice. Didn't know you could grow so many things. Got to the floater island and scanned everything, so I should be set for a while. I think I'm going to be in building/gathering mode for a while.

• Options

looks nice. Didn't know you could grow so many things. Got to the floater island and scanned everything, so I should be set for a while. I think I'm going to be in building/gathering mode for a while.

Yup, I was too. And my "garden" is relatively modest, as these things go - I've seen much more elaborate setups out there.
    All I have is those four growbeds outside; a couple of marblemelon beds (one in my base, the other in my Cyclops) for food and water, and some Chinese potatoes; plus planters (two each) for bulbo trees, lantern trees, and voxel flowers (the last are purely decorative, of course). Oh, and a few things in the fishtank.
    A lot of things out there, if you want your own, you can give 'em a whack with your knife, bring a seed or two back, and plant 'em. Repeat as necessary, once they're grown, until you have as many as you want.

• Options

If you have a bed, you can sleep in it to skip til sunrise. You can scan the ones you find either in wrecks or on the Aurora.

• Options
    What do you guys use for extra material storage? Lockers? I am shamelessly mimicking your base @Commander Zoom a bit and so I'm just swimming around getting materials to build stuff and of course I start to accumulate a ton of other materials I don't need just yet so I'm embracing the hoarder in me and keeping everything. Before I built my base, I crafted a lot of those underwater storage bins, but they seemed somewhat inefficient and I just used them as an intermediate solution

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I go for the large glass lockers.

• Options
    Many many may wall lockers. I have a "crafting corridor" full of them.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Many wall lockers, separated by category.
    The standing glass lockers when I need EVEN MORE.

I should pop back in and add some interior shots to the album.
    EDIT: And I did! Here's the link again.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    You can stack the short lockers two high in the lower section of the Cyclops. For the sake of organization and convenience, I made a labelled locker for every resource type, with the synthesizer, radio, battery charger, and a medkit dispenser by the ladder. Saves assloads of time to just store everything in there, especially if you make a point to stockpile the rarer or harder-to-reach resources the first time you pass through those areas.

Makes setting up a secondary base for power a snap, when you've got a pile of everything you need on hand.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Woo! Got the Cyclops finally. Man the pics just don’t do it justice. I knew it was big, but yowza!! Dunno why I thought it might fit into a moonpool

VoodooV on
  • Options
    After making a base in the Lost River, finally got into the inactive lava zone and got my first bits of kyanite. Should be enough to get my last upgrades for the prawn and the cyclops. Of course, it turns out I don't have the recipe for the thermal reactor mod for the cyclops so I gotta go back up to the above world and search through some wrecks for that.

Still not quite used to the cyclops. Damned thing is so big and unwieldy. Miss my seamoth where I could zip around like one of the Jetsons. Still just loving the heck out of this game. Surprise hit for me. Can't wait for the Arctic biome DLC

• Options
    After making a base in the Lost River, finally got into the inactive lava zone and got my first bits of kyanite. Should be enough to get my last upgrades for the prawn and the cyclops. Of course, it turns out I don't have the recipe for the thermal reactor mod for the cyclops so I gotta go back up to the above world and search through some wrecks for that.

Still not quite used to the cyclops. Damned thing is so big and unwieldy. Miss my seamoth where I could zip around like one of the Jetsons. Still just loving the heck out of this game. Surprise hit for me. Can't wait for the Arctic biome DLC

All the resources you find down there. Kyanite, Sulfur, Deep Shrooms, etc...

Bring extra back with you to the surface after. You'll need some.