As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chrononauts[Phalla]-Game Over - Village Alternate Victory

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    A weekend in five days. Surely we can start earlier than that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A weekend in five days. Surely we can start earlier than that.

There are planned mechanics around the weekend already :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    38thDoe wrote: »
    First day is a weekend? Oh nooo

Egos on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I guess I should actually read the OP.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I guess I should actually read the OP.

But you already read it tomorrow?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today?

No, I checked.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I tried to pay to get my pizza delivered in 20 minutes or less, but they just seemed confused at my continual insistence that it should be delivered last Thursday.

Game start over Mother's Day seems ill-advised.
    -> Reserve

@chamberlain can take my slot

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    There are other reserves ahead of me.

edited May 2018
    There are other reserves ahead of me.

Yeah.. but you wanted to play, not reserve?
    Which sort of puts you in front, at the start of the game.
    But up to bluecyan really

discrider on
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Game start over Mother's Day seems ill-advised.
    -> Reserve

This is a good point and I do have the luxury of starting a day early and having Sunday be a day off from any vote closures.

Is the thread a fan of starting on Friday and ignoring Sunday?

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I would be yes.

My heart says Phalla, my desire to remain married says probably not the best idea to Phalla on Sunday.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I would like to declare a Village Victory! Thanks to everyone for playing.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    :^:

Based on the agree responses on Austin's comment it seems most are in favor. I will be sending out role PMs tomorrow night.

Day one will consist of both Friday and Saturday with two sets of team missions going out (one set each day) but only one stasis(kill) vote and one mafia kill ending on Saturday.
    Sunday and Monday will be Day two but will only have one set of votes all concluding on Monday during normal times.

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    That probably works a little worse for me, but I should be able to be active on Saturday at least.

The doctor leads the group of twenty volunteers around the building describing each of the different labs and teams in depth. Briefly they stop at the dormitory to drop off personal effects, each member already having their own room, before continuing the tour. Finally they come to a large room dominated by a ten foot tall hallow metal circle standing in the middle of a well reinforced room. From behind a wall of reinforced glass they look over the entire room. Various wires and tubes run to and from the Gateway to various odd pieces of equipment and consoles. A team of scientists is busily inspecting the connections while analysts pour over the reports coming in to the computers.

"And now for the moment you have all been waiting for! A glimpse into another time. Before that, safety. My assistant is currently handing out temporal stabilizers, which will keep you isolated from any adverse effects of time travel. As long as you wear these, whatever changes that happen to the stream, they will flow over you like water off a duck. Oh, and don't worry about having to recharge them, they are powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. Good that looks like everyone, without further ado."

He turns and gives one of the technicians a thumbs up who then presses a series of keys. The circle springs to life and begins to spin, forks of lightning jumping across the open center. "I present to you, the Cretaceous!" A wave of force pulses from the Gateway reverberating the room and a picture of tropical ferns and palms can be seen in the center and unknown giant insects buzz in the air, which only moments ago simply showed the far back wall. A round of applause is quickly given, but even more quickly ended as an errant bolt of lightning strikes outward from the Gateway hitting a nearby coolant system. The room shakes again and the portal begins to twist and bend, paper and other light objects begin to get sucked in. The scene in the center changes, castles rise up and disappear to give way to tall masted ships which again give way to prop planes. The pandemonium in the room only intensifies as people rush about trying to shut down systems. The Doctor quickly slams his hand down on a large red button and steel shutters rise up around the glass until they are again alone with the tour group.

"Sorry, minor hiccup there, I assure you it looks much worse than it actually is. Everybody head back to your room while we get this sorted, I'll be with you in an hour or so. Till then... I wouldn't remove your stabilizers, just as a precaution I assure you." Back in their rooms, each volunteer is coming to terms with the disaster when they notice their computer has a light blinking. They have received a new message.

PMs are currently going out.

Later on the Doctor summons everyone together. He explains that the time portals failure has disrupted the time line. Thankfully the labs are chronologically sealed and he is confident that they can get this cleaned up in a matter of days. The error in the machine was found and now it will definitely work as intended... probably. The bad news is, you are the only one with working temporal stabilizers so the duty rests on you to fix the issues. Assemble your teams and go forward.

All PMs are out you may begin!

Alpha team shall depart at 12:00 Noon (PST)
    Beta team shall depart at 4:00PM (PST)
    Gamma team shall depart at 6:00 PM (PST)

The Third Post contains the current status of the time line.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Greetings fellow chrononauts

I propose we coordinate on determining which time periods are natural and which are not

The hosts guarantee that at least half of our personal victory conditions contain natural state of the nodes. The mafia already know this information (per the op), so the village should too

I propose that everybody PM me their personal victory condition and (while I have not yet done the math*) I believe that there are sufficient constraints to determine which timelines are natural for the village alternate win**

I propose a pm rather than public post to force the mafia to commit blind

But phyphor you say this could be a dirty mafia trick. Yes, but
    1) this isn't really helpful to the mafia unless it leads to a false result the village accepts blindly
    2) I can post an anonymized list and anyone who doesn't see their combination in the posted list and analysis can accuse me of being mafia, I'll eat the vote to enable a win and nail a mafia
    3) any conclusions reached can be checked via actions anyway

*I believe this reduces to a boolean satisfiability problem where each player is (A & B) | (A & C) | (A & D) | (B & C) | (B & D) | (C & D)

**No guarantees, sufficient data is required, a unique solution may not exist or may end up being obscured by the mafia. May become irrelevant if a node is frozen in a bad state

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Starting off early with Phyphor.

Based on my objectives, giving the mafia that information would absolutely be helpful to them.

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Good morning everyone! Is anyone around for some jumping into the past?

Drop me a message if you’d like to compare destinations!

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I think it's more likely to be an earnest villager than a bold mafia play, but I'm not interested in sharing that information to someone out of the blue.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I will, however, send Egos to 330 AD

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Burnage wrote: »

Based on my objectives, giving the mafia that information would absolutely be helpful to them.

How? The mafia win conditions are disconnected from the personal goals and they already know the true states. They are already incentivized to freeze nodes in the wrong state

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    I do agree on a Fundamental basis with phyphor, that an honest villager knowing all the villager personal win conditions could work out a set where everybody wins, but having that out in the open definitely helps the mafia focus their efforts.

PSN: the-K-flash
    I haven't seen Infidel play in what seems like forever, so Infidel to 100,000,000 BC

It's dangerous to go alone, take this!

4bnyvzudr6v9.jpg

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

How? The mafia win conditions are disconnected from the personal goals and they already know the true states. They are already incentivized to freeze nodes in the wrong state

Because it potentially provides the mafia a list of how to kill each specific player without using any kill abilities?

I mean, maybe that won't be too helpful in practice but it sounds like the sort of thing that I'm not happy about signing up for.

Also, Chamberlain, 100 million

Because it potentially provides the mafia a list of how to kill each specific player without using any kill abilities?

I mean, maybe that won't be too helpful in practice but it sounds like the sort of thing that I'm not happy about signing up for.

Potentially yes, but they can already do that in general by freezing nodes in recessive states. And given that the mafia win if they freeze 5 nodes but would have to freeze 3 very specifically in the correct state to threaten a player, that would seem inefficient at best

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Let's start with Preda, 1000 million.

Than, phyphor idea is interesting, but burnage might be right, because the wording of the role pm implies bad thing if a certain number of nodes become frozen on the wrong setting...

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular

Potentially yes, but they can already do that in general by freezing nodes in recessive states. And given that the mafia win if they freeze 5 nodes but would have to freeze 3 very specifically in the correct state to threaten a player, that would seem inefficient at best

I'm turning on this. The mafia already knows which state is correct for each node per the op. Having the villager win conditions in the open benefits the village greatly by allowing us to figure out the correct states as well.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Later on the Doctor summons everyone together. He explains that the time portals failure has disrupted the time line. Thankfully the labs are chronologically sealed and he is confident that they can get this cleaned up in a matter of days. The error in the machine was found and now it will definitely work as intended... probably. The bad news is, you are the only one with working temporal stabilizers so the duty rests on you to fix the issues. Assemble your teams and go forward.

All PMs are out you may begin!

Alpha team shall depart at 12:00 Noon (PST)
    Beta team shall depart at 4:00PM (PST)
    Gamma team shall depart at 6:00 PM (PST)

The Third Post contains the current status of the time line.

For my own and others' reference, that is:
    1900 GMT/UTC, 2000 BST for Alpha
    2300 GMT/UTC, 0000 Saturday BST for Beta
    0100 Saturday UTC/GMT, 0200 BST for Gamma

We need to be careful with the 100 million mission. All other nodes can be fixed via anomalies if necessary, however if that gets frozen in the wrong state there doesn't appear to be any way to fix it. The mission should be observe/preserve/reverse if we do it to either force a natural state or identify a mafia easily

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I really need to re-read the OP cause it feels like it was forever ago I first read it (get it?) but on first blush I'm a fan of Phyphor's plan. While him being mafia would mean the mafia gets extra info it didn't have, I am not really seeing how it would be worthwhile information for them.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    100 million is a node that interest me. I plan to observe it if I go.

JPants wrote: »
    I really need to re-read the OP cause it feels like it was forever ago I first read it (get it?) but on first blush I'm a fan of Phyphor's plan. While him being mafia would mean the mafia gets extra info it didn't have, I am not really seeing how it would be worthwhile information for them.

The argument against it is that it would give them enough info to start disqualifying people from winning if they have the correlation that hurts the most people.

So, if they freeze 3 nodes that 3/4ths of the village needs, they've just prevented those folks from winning. I'm not sure, though, if that just prevents the alternate win condition win, or if the nodes are frozen, if we go back to needing to eliminate the mafia to be able to win.

I'm assuming the two are exclusive, so if the mafia freezes enough nodes that villagers aren't able to win, that gives them 2 opportunities to win versus the village's 1.

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    We need to be careful with the 100 million mission. All other nodes can be fixed via anomalies if necessary, however if that gets frozen in the wrong state there doesn't appear to be any way to fix it. The mission should be observe/preserve/reverse if we do it to either force a natural state or identify a mafia easily

I completely agree with this. Furthermore, I'd suggest we try not to let any consecutive time missions go off today. That's not COMPLETELY possible, since we need to send 6 missions and we only have 10 times to choose from.

So avoiding 100mil BC and going for non-consecutive times gives us:

480 BC

Since we'll also need to hit a middle one, we can do:

330AD

I'm going to suggest we send off one of those four NOW. That gives the mafia less time to organize and figure out what they are going to do. We know 100mil BC is a dangerous node to let people go to. The others are more of a toss-up.

Finally, I'm going to suggest that we send inactives to the first node. If you haven't put in an action, that leaves you with Observe, which isn't a bad idea. It should stop any anomaly shenanigans, and we may get lucky on it stoping disruptions as well.