As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Magicians, Part One

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Magicians, Part One

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Whoa, this panel design... Please do more of this.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah I really dig the design of this one.

Also I want to know the kid's deck.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    sounds like Mike isn't fully exerting the power of his wallet

by which I mean buying all the priciest cards in the format and also cutting Gabe's allowance so he can only afford commons

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Yeah I really dig the design of this one.

Also I want to know the kid's deck.

Honestly if you've watched Mike play games he's not exactly a prime example of understanding lots of mechanics so I'm not surprised his son would be whooping on him in MTG.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Honestly if you've watched Mike play games he's not example a prime example of understanding lots of mechanics so I'm not surprised his son would be whooping on him in MTG.

I'm not understanding the mechanics of this sentence.

(I say this not to be harsh, as often my edits and re-edits mid-posting wind up splicing things together in incoherent ways.)

• Options
    TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    I really like the idea of Child Protective Services being called on a parent who builds a horseshit deck.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Honestly if you've watched Mike play games he's not example a prime example of understanding lots of mechanics so I'm not surprised his son would be whooping on him in MTG.

(I say this not to be harsh, as often my edits and re-edits mid-posting wind up splicing things together in incoherent ways.)

I was saying that Mike is bad at mechanics in games of all sorts. Just sorta who he is. So the idea that his son would be beating him in a mechanic heavy game like MTG is really surprising and may speak less to his son having a great deck/doing well and more him(Mike) being not super great.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

From context, I would guess that the first "example" should be "exactly".
    and the tl;dr version is "well, Mike's crap at complicated games, so of course he's losing (to his son) at this one".

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    TrueLink wrote: »
    I really like the idea of Child Protective Services being called on a parent who builds a horseshit deck.

"Sir we've received reports of over fifteen instances of Lantern Control in the past week alone."

• Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Beautiful background!

• Options

From context, I would guess that the first "example" should be "exactly".
    and the tl;dr version is "well, Mike's crap at complicated games, so of course he's losing (to his son) at this one".

Ah hah! I kept reading over it but I couldn't figure out where I went wrong because my brain new what I was trying to say so I kept reading it correctly.

Thanks!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This comic is very timely (at helping me spend money). I was emptying out a backpack the other day and found a bunch of my MTG 2015 stuff, which is the last time I was into MTG. And it struck a chord within me that made me want to play MTG again.

I have been awakened.
    And my wallet weeps.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    This comic is very timely (at helping me spend money). I was emptying out a backpack the other day and found a bunch of my MTG 2015 stuff, which is the last time I was into MTG. And it struck a chord within me that made me want to play MTG again.

I have been awakened.
    And my wallet weeps.

Dominaria seems pretty kickass so its a good time!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    vanner11vanner11 Registered User regular
  • Options
    TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    "Sir we've received reports of over fifteen instances of Lantern Control in the past week alone."

"It's worse than we feared... Baral Brawl."

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Also the background being B/G is a nice touch.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PohtHehdPohtHehd Registered User regular
    "...into tree."

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Didnt Gabe call Child Services once because a neighbors kid had some minor flaw in his Star Wars trivia knowledge?

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    U/G infect perhaps?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, Tycho's bad parent line...

I'm not a parent myself, is there some study that shows that holding back with your kids is bad for their development, or is Tycho just a monster who gives no quarter to children?
    KalTorak wrote: »

One of the agents just throws up.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I'm not a parent myself, is there some study that shows that holding back with your kids is bad for their development, or is Tycho just a monster who gives no quarter to children?

He's just saying he's not into that style of letting kids win things and pretending they did it all themselves is all.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    But yes Tycho is 100% a monster.

Quid on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

He's just saying he's not into that style of letting kids win things and pretending they did it all themselves is all.

Gabe's plan for Gabe was also fairly cruel. Apparently he planned to let Gabe win for a while, to build confidence in himself, only for Gabe to then build a deck to crush him, Gabe's false confidence making the defeat even more crushing.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    There may be some more process in there - incrementally improving his game for teaching purposes, effectively becomming a gauntlet of progressively stronger opponents for him, only to find that his son had already surpassed his peak by the time he got there.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I have been awakened.
    And my wallet weeps.

2015 isn't all that long ago.

I remember being really into magic in 1995.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Wesley FoxxWesley Foxx Registered User regular

I have been awakened.
    And my wallet weeps.

I got out of it back around Mirrodin-ish, and in the intervening years had given my brother my card collection as birthday/christmas gifts. Then I get back into it with Ixalan when I buy him some boosters for a gift and get a couple for myself and see the set was all about the tribal mechanics. I go to my LGS and get stomped in modern a bit. Then I get into commander and whoops now I have five decks and have spent as much as $80 on a single piece of cardboard (that I proxy into all five of the decks, but still) and am now obsessed with the game again.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I have been awakened.
    And my wallet weeps.

2015 isn't all that long ago.

I remember being really into magic in 1995.

2015 was merely the most recent time I've gotten into Magic. I played in 1995 too. I had an original set of cards. Foolishly gave them away to a friend in elementary school. I'm sure those cards would have been worth some money now.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I've never been into that card game but this comic was perfect.