As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium 4e - Game 4: Round 7 - Action Phase / Game End

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Not so remote, @Preda : Creuss already played a politics rider, half a dozen posts up.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I don't suppose I can sweeten the deal in any way, Preda to sway you in my direction? Three TG, plus the promise to never pillage?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So here comes the amalgam:
    Ketar assassinated a representative, then MrBody must have played a rider.
    If Ketar wants to also play a rider, then MrBody can only change one of his orders based on what Ketar plays in the second rotation.
    But which one?
    @MrBody , to detangle the mess, if it matters, which card are you playing first?

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Not so remote, @Preda : Creuss already played a politics rider, half a dozen posts up.

Evidently sarcasm doesn't translate well...

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I don't suppose I can sweeten the deal in any way, Preda to sway you in my direction? Three TG, plus the promise to never pillage?

Interesting, but still prefear the other side, if I have the required promises (from both the rider and the vote winner!). If I don't have them, sure, in an istant.

Preda on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    @MrBlarney Are we using the official rules for playing of action cards in order in the agenda phase? Or sticking with the more general "it happens when it happens" kind of play it feels like we've been using the past couple of games? Because if we're going with a strict ordering of things, we're going to need some extra time to allow for people to play and respond in proper order and discuss things.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    We're doing both, depending on what players want to do. If you play a card in the thread directly, then that's your own choice for opening your hand and resolving your card right away. Otherwise, you can choose to go with the official methods as given and simply declare that you have an action card to play. Then, all players make their declarations and they will be resolved according to the order of play rules. Conditional orders for card plays sent to me will be treated in a similar fashion as the latter.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Ok, so then both of MrBody's riders have been played, predicting Winnu. @Preda wants assurances from @discrider and @MrBody that neither will choose Technology if he votes for Winnu, otherwise he's inclined to vote for Mentak.

Does that look right?

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Here's my current slate:

Minister of Commerce (Law)
    Elect Player: The elected player gains this card. After the owner of this card replenishes commodities, he gains 1 trade good for each player that is his neighbor.

Voting Order
    The Mentak Coalition (Hedgethorn): Up to 8 votes
    The Naalu Collective (Mojo_Jojo): Representative Assassinated
    The Barony of Letnev (Ketar): Up to 12 votes
    The Ghosts of Creuss (MrBody): Politics Rider - Winnu; Imperial Rider - Winnu
    The Winnu (discrider): Up to 9 votes
    Sardakk N'orr (Preda): Up to 6 votes; Speaker

Feel free to continue to discuss as much as necessary before getting to voting. Let's keep that discussion open for now.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Sure, I could go for Leadership next round instead. I'm desperately low on CC again if you haven't noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv8GW1GaoIc

MrBody on
  • Options
    Diplomacy Rider
    After an agenda is revealed: You cannot vote on this agenda. Predict aloud an outcome of this agenda. If your prediction is correct, choose 1 system that contains a planet you control. Each other player places a command token from their reinforcements in that system.

Predict Winnu.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    So that's riders from Ketar and MrBody, and Mojo and I have declined to play any. I think that just leaves @discrider and Preda to make any card play decisions before voting starts.

Edit: Preda already declined to play a rider. My mistake.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    No AC play.
    But I still need @discrider promise on no tech, or I'll go with Hedgethorn.

Preda on
  • Options
    So that's riders from Ketar and MrBody, and Mojo and I have declined to play any. I think that just leaves @discrider and Preda to make any card play decisions before voting starts.

Edit: Preda already declined to play a rider. My mistake.

I may play another card. I'm trying to allow for potential sabotage of the rider I played first though.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Preda wrote: »
    No AC play.
    But I still need discrider promise on no tech, or I'll go with Hedgethorn.

Frankly voting Winnu seems crazy with the benefits everybody else would get from it.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Also no sabotage.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    No AC play.

Frankly voting Winnu seems crazy with the benefits everybody else would get from it.

The effect they would have on the game overall is smaller than the effect Mentak getting this would have.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    No AC play.

The effect they would have on the game overall is smaller than the effect Mentak getting this would have.

And yet you knocked me out of the vote to ensure that Mentak would win this

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    No AC play.

And yet you knocked me out of the vote to ensure that Mentak would win this

That's not why I knocked you out of the vote.

• Options
    I did so because I wanted to reduce variables when it comes to predicting things, to be able to play a rider.

I also did so because I thought that you would be rather opposed to me succeeding on the Diplomacy rider. And you had the second most votes - which would be the most with me abstaining.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    No sab. And yeah I guess I could not take Tech.
    And I'm not planning on playing anything.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Well, in for a penny...

Technology Rider
    After an agenda is revealed: You cannot vote on this agenda. Predict aloud an outcome of this agenda. If your prediction is correct, research 1 technology.

Predict Winnu.

Ketar on
  • Options
    No sab.

• Options
    I could be persuaded to vote for you, @Preda. I'd rather not see the speaker token move right now, ignoring all the other benefits around the table.

• Options
    Mmm.
    I'd rather you didn't; Might I suggest voting for the Naalu?

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I mean that's who I'm currently thinking of voting for, even if I had a majority vote.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    discrider wrote: »
    I mean that's who I'm currently thinking of voting for, even if I had a majority vote.

Sticking with yourself gets you the trade goods each round and (effectively) 3rd pick at a strategy card now as opposed to last. I'll throw in my Support for the Throne - contingent upon Preda sticking with voting for you.

Ketar on
  • Options

Sticking with yourself gets you the trade goods each round and (effectively) 3rd pick at a strategy card now as opposed to last. I'll throw in my Support for the Throne - contingent upon Preda sticking with voting for you.

And what Preda will get from all this? Till now, my gain is a little small in all this transaction...
    Unless I get something better I'm certaily interested in @Hedgethorn offer. I'm even willing to part with my political secret and an equal share of the first trade bonus I get from the Ministry, for that (the TG I have now I need for the start of the next turn)

• Options
    I'll vote for N'orr for a political secret and 1-2 TG to be paid later.

• Options

And what Preda will get from all this? Till now, my gain is a little small in all this transaction...
    Unless I get something better I'm certaily interested in @Hedgethorn offer. I'm even willing to part with my political secret and an equal share of the first trade bonus I get from the Ministry, for that (the TG I have now I need for the start of the next turn)

discrider and I had both offered free trade refreshes all game, earlier. I'd also offered my racial promissory, which would be really useful when you end up engaging in combat. I'd be happy to offer a different promissory if preferred.

• Options
    You might be able to extract something from @MrBody as well.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Eh, are the benefits really that crazy? A VP and 2 action cards for one player (speaker token neutered for not being able to take Tech), and a diplomacy primary minus the refresh + 1 tech for another?

Neither of those hand the game to anyone the way giving Mentak 8 trade goods per round will. A bigger bribe is kind of irrelevant in the face of a guaranteed non-win.

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    Eh, are the benefits really that crazy? A VP, 2 action cards, and a diplomacy primary minus the refresh?

And a tech. And another action card.

• Options
    I'm ready to vote and just see where the chips land. But I'll wait to verify that there are no objections before I cast my vote.

• Options
    Well, personally I object to you voting for Preda..
    Given his board position, I'm not sure he needs the help, and voting Naalu is right there...

• Options
    edited May 2018
    MrBody wrote: »
    Eh, are the benefits really that crazy? A VP, 2 action cards, and a diplomacy primary minus the refresh?

And a tech. And another action card.

Still nowhere near what I would consider self sabotaging and denying yourself 4 TG per trade in addition to guaranteeing another player winning.

I'm baffled this is even a debate. Everyone's handing out Support for the Thrones willy nilly, but denying a points trailer 1 VP from a rider is worth throwing the game? Or someone getting a free tech?

This seems like cutting off your nose just because someone else would win a bet that you wouldn't do it.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Well, unless someone is bringing Preda or Hedgethorn onboard as well, then this is all academic.
    They have zero reason to vote for me now, aside perhaps because of speaker token movements.

discrider on
  • Options

I could give you my Support for the Throne to vote for me I guess.

• Options
    I can give my Support for the Throne and Ceasefire out. Or my racial promissory. Or Political Secret. I'm willing to give one each to any two people willing to make Winnu win this vote. @Hedgethorn you still want that Ceasefire? I wasn't going to give it up without something of equal value in return, but I will if you and someone else get on board voting for Winnu.

• Options

The Support for the Throne makes it worthwhile to vote for myself I think.
    Hoping I can pass it on to Preda.