As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He's called Multiple Man for a reason.

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
This thread is for all things Madrox and Madrox related:
394px-X_FAC_COV007catalogue.jpg
This is Jamie Madrox, Shaolin Monk, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Playa of Playas, Ambiguously Gay, Multiple Man.
Wikipedia wrote:
Madrox has the ability to create "duplicates" of himself. The duplicates have some level of autonomy from Madrox creating a complex psychological condition, although Madrox is outwardly joking and friendly.

Madrox has generally been considered a mutant. However, unlike most mutants whose mutant powers emerge during adolescence, Madrox exhibits his gifts from the day he was born. As a result, in recent issues of X-Factor, there has been some discussion as to whether or not he is a mutant or something altogether different.

Originally a lab assistant of genetic researcher Moira MacTaggert, Madrox joined the 1990s-era Pentagon-sponsored mutant team X-Factor where writer Peter David did much to flesh out his character. Currently, Madrox is the leader of the detective agency X-Factor Investigations in a new David-written X-Factor series.

He is one of the most intresting characters in comics. Here is your suggested reading,
MadroX wrote:
400px-MultipleMan01.jpg
The miniseries MadroX was released in late 2004, it was penned by Peter David, the man who essentially created the Jamie Madrox we all know and love today. The series focuses on the nature of Jamie's powers, and shows how each of his dupes aren't the automatons you might think they are, some of them even suprise Jamie himself.
You can buy it here:Link to Amazon
X-Factor_%282005%29_1.jpg
The ongoing series X-Factor stars most of the cast of the original X-Factor and is written by the same man, Peter David. It is one of the best books on the market and has featured some amazing art. Jamie Madrox leads X-Factor Investigations, a detective agency in Mutant Town that attempts to help the victims of Decimation. You can buy the first story arc in trade form here: Link to Amazon
and come Feburary you can buy the second here: Link to Amazon
The series is still ongoing so you can also pick up the singles at your local comic shop.
x-factor71.jpg
This is where it all started. Written by Peter David(Sense a pattern?), it is where the modern version of Jamie Madrox spawned along with his cohorts in X-Factor. It is a very, very, very good read which was suprising considering it was released in the era of hell we call the 90's. You can buy the "Essential" X-Factor here: Amazon Link
There you have it friends, discuss all of your Multiple Man/X-Factoring needs.

EDIT: At the request of Geebs, I fixed the link.

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    do you think you can hide some of those amazon.com links a little bit

maybe shrink them down, hide them in a url tag

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    do you think you can hide some of those amazon.com links a little bit

maybe shrink them down, hide them in a url tag
    Done and Done.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I liked him in New X-Men.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Claiming that mutants who are born with their abilities aren't mutants is so freaking stupid.

Are the X-Men going to have to boot out Nightcrawler now? Start a club with Madrox and Leech? And I'm sure there's other examples of pre-puberty mutants.

Scooter on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    X-Factor is the second best book Marvel is publishing right now.

You owe it to yourself to read it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MM is a very cool character that usually does not get as much attention as he should.

To the OP, I like the suggested reading you added. :^:
    I think I actually have that old 90's comic tucked away somewhere.

Marathon on
  • Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I KNOW i have that book tucked away somewhere, it was soo friggin funny back in the day, and Maddrox has been one of my favorite characters since

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So for a noob

Are XFactor and XMen related, 'cause, y'no

mutants
    x

Mutant X.

... >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kind of.

They are mostly mutants.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Claiming that mutants who are born with their abilities aren't mutants is so freaking stupid.

Are the X-Men going to have to boot out Nightcrawler now? Start a club with Madrox and Leech? And I'm sure there's other examples of pre-puberty mutants.

...No?

They're a different type of mutant, but mutants just the same, just like early man was a different type of human.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    See, the way they're trying to write it is that they aren't mutants at all but something completely different.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    But that's not what Peter David said.

Furu on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    “Basically the notion stemmed from the scientific tendency to keep reclassifying dinosaurs,” David explained when asked where this all came from. “They find a skeleton with small variations from a known species and they immediately say, ‘These variations mean that this is a different species altogether.’ Pondering Jamie's origins, I was struck by the notion that one of the major aspects of mutants is that the powers manifest when they become adolescents. Indeed, this trait has become one of the major thematic underpinnings of the whole mutant concept: That the transition in adolescence is symbolic of teens having to cope with the hardships of growing up or--depending who you talk to--that becoming a teen, realizing that you're a mutant and thus have to cope with a society that may despise you for it is analogous to becoming a teen, ‘realizing’ you're gay and experiencing that same notion of being hated for what you are.

To me it's so tied in with adolescence that, in pondering Jamie's origins, the fact that he manifested his power at birth leaped out at me. I thought, ‘If having small variations in skeletal structure result in a different species of dinosaur, shouldn't it be that having a major variation in the normal presentation of mutant powers be a different species as well?’ But the notion of simply having it be an offshoot branch of homo superior wasn't interesting to me. Then I considered the notion of having it play into evolution: That once upon a time, powers always manifested at birth. The result was that the children were typically killed, presumed to be demonspawn and such. It explained to my satisfaction why it was that there were so few individuals born with powers prior to the 20th Century, beyond the notion of ‘Oh, well it's because of radiation.’ The race that we call Homo superior didn't show up out of nowhere; evolution doesn't work that way. They should up after uncounted centuries of natural selection in which the ones born with powers didn't survive, and the ones whose powers manifested when they were older and could protect themselves did.

HOWEVER, David then adds,
    “So does that mean that Jamie was never a Homo superior? That perhaps others, such as Nightcrawler, aren't either? Maybe. We'll see how it plays out.”

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    “Basically the notion stemmed from the scientific tendency to keep reclassifying dinosaurs,” David explained when asked where this all came from. “They find a skeleton with small variations from a known species and they immediately say, ‘These variations mean that this is a different species altogether.’ Pondering Jamie's origins, I was struck by the notion that one of the major aspects of mutants is that the powers manifest when they become adolescents. Indeed, this trait has become one of the major thematic underpinnings of the whole mutant concept: That the transition in adolescence is symbolic of teens having to cope with the hardships of growing up or--depending who you talk to--that becoming a teen, realizing that you're a mutant and thus have to cope with a society that may despise you for it is analogous to becoming a teen, ‘realizing’ you're gay and experiencing that same notion of being hated for what you are.

To me it's so tied in with adolescence that, in pondering Jamie's origins, the fact that he manifested his power at birth leaped out at me. I thought, ‘If having small variations in skeletal structure result in a different species of dinosaur, shouldn't it be that having a major variation in the normal presentation of mutant powers be a different species as well?’ But the notion of simply having it be an offshoot branch of homo superior wasn't interesting to me. Then I considered the notion of having it play into evolution: That once upon a time, powers always manifested at birth. The result was that the children were typically killed, presumed to be demonspawn and such. It explained to my satisfaction why it was that there were so few individuals born with powers prior to the 20th Century, beyond the notion of ‘Oh, well it's because of radiation.’ The race that we call Homo superior didn't show up out of nowhere; evolution doesn't work that way. They should up after uncounted centuries of natural selection in which the ones born with powers didn't survive, and the ones whose powers manifested when they were older and could protect themselves did.

HOWEVER, David then adds,
    “So does that mean that Jamie was never a Homo superior? That perhaps others, such as Nightcrawler, aren't either? Maybe. We'll see how it plays out.”

You know what that is awsome.

That is the best train of thought I have ever heard, and makes comeplete sense, that is how evolution works, it doesent just "leap" foward, it gradually changes.

I really like this train of thought he takes, i want to have man babies with Peter David. For Captain Marvel alone.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The most recent X-Factor is proof positive that it is the best book out. I mean, absolutely nothing happened... no action, no bad guys... just page after page of talking.

And it was still the best book I picked up on Wednesday.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, I love Madrox so much.

Peter David has written so many of my favorite series.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Multiple Man is one of my favorite Marvel books ever. Sadly, I have not read X-Factor beyond the first two issues.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Years and years ago I picked up a box of comics cheap at a garage sale. In it was a ton of X-Factor books. It had issue 1 and everything (the comics weren't in very good condition, well read etc) They had X-Factor go through the Phoenix Saga through to Apocalypse and everything. I really enjoyed them.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Feriluce wrote:
    Years and years ago I picked up a box of comics cheap at a garage sale. In it was a ton of X-Factor books. It had issue 1 and everything (the comics weren't in very good condition, well read etc) They had X-Factor go through the Phoenix Saga through to Apocalypse and everything. I really enjoyed them.
    X-Factor has my favorite moments in almost any series, the Doc Samson psychological evaluations.
    xfactor_8708.jpg
    and
    xfactor_8702.jpg
    Specifcally.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    hmm i should order these

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, X-Factor's pretty awesome right now. The issues that David did back in the '90s are also some of the only stuff that I bought back then that I can now look back on fondly.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Feriluce wrote:
    X-Factor has my favorite moments in almost any series, the Doc Samson psychological evaluations.
    xfactor_8708.jpg
    and
    xfactor_8702.jpg
    Specifcally.
    if you liked the doc samson one, you should pick up this months which is basically the same thing only with the new team, its a great read

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wish Pietro had not gone off the deep-end.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Man, his part in the most recent issue was great.

Son of M was the best thing to come out of House of M as well.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yeah, I think Pietro is much more interesting now. Lose the psudo-incest vibe he had going for a while and your left with one crazy bastard. His interactions with Layla have been nothing short of comic gold.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    "you sure you dont want a pastry?"

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think what I love most about David's X-Factor is that he took a bunch of underused characters and developed them. Madrox wasn't the only one he made cool. I LOVE me some Guido/Strong Guy. Especially when you find out how he got the way he is....and that he isn't some big dumb guy...he has a brain under there.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Now I want to read this.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    I think what I love most about David's X-Factor is that he took a bunch of underused characters and developed them. Madrox wasn't the only one he made cool. I LOVE me some Guido/Strong Guy. Especially when you find out how he got the way he is....and that he isn't some big dumb guy...he has a brain under there.

Why was Helen Keller a bad driver?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Monkeydrye wrote:

Why was Helen Keller a bad driver?

shes a woman!

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    xf-12-020.jpg

xf-12-021.jpg

xf-12-022.jpg

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    awesome_andyawesome_andy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That was frickin cool.
    Too bad about all the civilian casualties.

awesome_andy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Building was empty.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Metal and fire raining down on the streets of manhattan would probably kill a few people, moreso if the building collapsed.

awesome_andy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I think people ignore that the way they ignore that the debris from an exploding death star would've driven the ewoks to extinction in a year.

Scooter on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Metal and fire raining down on the streets of manhattan would probably kill a few people, moreso if the building collapsed.
    Hulk was there to catch the debris. Civilians don't die on his watch!

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Were the ewok side movies before or after star wars.
    You know the ones.
    Don't try to deny it.

awesome_andy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The area around the building was also empty and sealed off except for a few police officers, etc...

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    Were the ewok side movies before or after star wars.
    You know the ones.
    Don't try to deny it.

before

shut up

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Why must you tarnish the beauty that is this X-factor love fest with your tainted ewok side movie filth?

WHY?!

Caveman Paws on