As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    honovere wrote: »
    xffj51rktmch.jpg

I'm so fucking happy that they're not redesigning the aesthetic of the Sisters in any way.

Burnage on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    That model will be out ahead of the actual sister release, but apparently not this year.

edit:
    Looks like Cawdor will put more emphazise on the trash collector part.
    WHfestLiveBlog-NecromundaCawdor4gr.jpg

honovere on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Well my wallet is fucked:
    0IOLv3j.jpg

Horus Heresy Adeptus Titanicus incoming.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Why Horus Heresy, though? Wouldn't it be fun to see Eldar, Ork, Tyranid, etc. huge stompy mechs and monsters at that scale?

Basically I can't ever fathom why you'd do anything set in the 30k era when you can do it in the 40k era instead...?

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Why Horus Heresy, though? Wouldn't it be fun to see Eldar, Ork, Tyranid, etc. huge stompy mechs and monsters at that scale?

Basically I can't ever fathom why you'd do anything set in the 30k era when you can do it in the 40k era instead...?

I imagine because it lets you make a tighter, focused product because you don't have to make Eldar, Ork, and Tyranid special rules and models as well.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    xffj51rktmch.jpg

I'm so fucking happy that they're not redesigning the aesthetic of the Sisters in any way.

I'm fine the the aesthetixcs but can they get some different heads?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I'd guess it's because they can largely use the same molds for the two sides. A few extra bits like glyphs and spikes for Chaos and some Imperial icons and banners for the Imperial side to differentiate them, but basically the same titans.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    see317 wrote: »

I'd guess it's because they can largely use the same molds for the two sides. A few extra bits like glyphs and spikes for Chaos and some Imperial icons and banners for the Imperial side to differentiate them, but basically the same titans.

Yes this. And, given that this is exactly why the Horus Heresy as an event even exists in the first place (as the background for the first Adeptus Titanicus), it’s nice to see everything coming full circle.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Listening to the Dark Imperium audiobook and it's ok 20ish chapters in...

I don't know if the author knows how to handle Mortarions hatred for warpcraft balanced against his demon form.

Gillyman is pretty entertaining though. Parts of the book he's all like "geeez this is grimdark, what the hell happened while I was asleep?" It's a fun way to write him given how established grimdark 40k has been over the years.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    My local store organized a flea market, showed up and snagged some nice stuff including some sort of GWAR miniature game with a bunch of rad models to use for cultists and daemons, as well as a bag of copyright-infringing 3rd edition tyranids with the elongated alien heads.

As much as I love plastic, these old metal bugs had a ton of character. Just need to double dip them in varnish so they don’t chip when I look at them funny.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...I'm starting to get GW fatigue from all this new stuff.

#firstworldproblems

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'm so excited about Titanicus you guys.

I just want to share this.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I also had a thought about Rogue Trader why not that race it's talked about time to time but doesn't have a model {I don't think it's had one} THe Hrud!

Rogue Trader would be a great chance to represent some creatures from the lore that we've never seen in model form before. I hope we get an Enslaver fig!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    ...I'm starting to get GW fatigue from all this new stuff.

#firstworldproblems

Honestly I just have to pick what I am most excited about and stay focused.

For me that means no necromunda, kill team or rogue trader. Titanicus trumps all.

I am worried about them killing their own support bases for games though. Titanicus means me pretty much shelving Shadespire too.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well Shadespire replaced X wing for me for various reasons
    It's quick and fun for the weekend and helps me take my mind of the shitshow work is

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Kill Team and Necromunda are things I will play because I have stuff for them already. My cultist are necromunda ready and kill team is another thing I have stuff for anyway.

I started a Tzeentch army in March/February for AoS so the new edition is interesting because I have no real attachment to any of the rules yet.

I want god damn Fulgrim. GIVE ME MY PRIMARCH!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    That model will be out ahead of the actual sister release, but apparently not this year.

edit:
    Looks like Cawdor will put more emphazise on the trash collector part.
    [imgCawdorimg]

I'm fairly certain the trash collector part is entirely new for N17. Which is good, they had a unique thing going originally only until Outlanders came out, at which point they became Redemptionists-Lite.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

You can maker your starter box Imperium vs. Chaos in the 40k era too...? And then in the future you can add in whatever you want without being boxed in to "marines forever."

I dunno, I heard a rumor that Battlefleet Gothic would be re-released as a Horus Heresy game as well and have similar feelings on that.

It just seems like someone at GW feels the Horus Heresy brand has a big appeal, but, well, IMO every 30k fan is a 40k fan but not every 40k fan is a 30k fan.

• Options
    My biggest issue with 40k is the over-emphasis on Space Marines of various stripes.

I am decidedly not the target audience for the Horus Heresy stuff.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I also had a thought about Rogue Trader why not that race it's talked about time to time but doesn't have a model {I don't think it's had one} THe Hrud!
    l58cyqe24d5d.png
    tnm5df3996d4.png

I don't know how to reconcile that Hrud with this hrud...
    948191_sm-Aliens.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Crouched down super low/telescopic physiology?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I would not mind Spaceven.

Although you could make some rat beastmen and attempt to explain them as abhuman auxillaries in the Guard.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Got to play tonight which was the first time in a couple weeks. Been hard as my schedule keeps getting busy. Tomorrow is a friend's b-day+mother's day so I am busy or I would get another game in.

Ran a test list tonight experimenting with 3 vindicators. My club is cool with proxies if we let them know before and the dude I was playing didn't mind. So I proxied two vindicators with rhinos and warpsmith with my dark apostle model since this list didn't use it.
    +++ 5/12 Test (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gifts of Chaos (1 Relic)
    . Categories: No Force Org Slot

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord: Blade of the Hydra, Chainsword, Combi-bolter, No Chaos Mark
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos Lord, Character, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos

Chaos Lord with Jump Pack: Bolt pistol, I am Alpharius, Mark of Slaanesh, Power fist, Warlord
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos, Chaos Lord, Character, Fly, Infantry, Jump Pack, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Warlord, Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun, No Chaos Mark
    . Categories: Troops, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Chaos
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

+ Elites +

Possessed: Icon of Excess, Mark of Slaanesh, 8x Possessed
    . Categories: Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Daemon, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Elites, Slaanesh

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Bikers: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Faction: Heretic Astartes, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Biker, Fast Attack, Chaos, Slaanesh
    . Chaos Biker: Bolt pistol, Combi-bolter
    . Chaos Biker: Bolt pistol, Combi-bolter
    . Chaos Biker Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Dedicated Transport, Transport, Vehicle, Slaanesh

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Sorcerer: Bolt pistol, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience
    . Categories: HQ, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Psyker, Slaanesh

Sorcerer: Bolt pistol, Force sword, Infernal Gaze, Mark of Slaanesh, Warptime
    . Categories: HQ, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Psyker, Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Noise Marines
    . Categories: Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Slaanesh, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: Emperor's Children, Troops
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Doom siren, Sonic blaster

Noise Marines
    . Categories: Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Slaanesh, Faction: <Legion>, Faction: Emperor's Children, Troops

Noise Marines

+ Flyer +

Heldrake: Baleflamer, Heldrake claws, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Flyer, Daemon, Daemon Engine, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Vehicle, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Fly, Slaanesh

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ HQ +

Warpsmith: Bolt pistol, Flamer, Mark of Slaanesh, Meltagun, Power axe
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos, Character, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Faction: <Legion>, Warpsmith, <Mark of Chaos>, Slaanesh

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Vindicator: No Chaos Mark
    . Categories: Heavy Support, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Vehicle

. Categories: Heavy Support, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Vehicle

Defiler: Havoc launcher, Mark of Slaanesh, Reaper autocannon
    . Categories: Heavy Support, Faction: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Daemon, Daemon Engine, Faction: Heretic Astartes, Vehicle, Slaanesh

++ Total: [120 PL, 1997pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

This is 14 CP, a good mix of shooting bodies and some close combat hammers. Pretty much built off my standard base list. Also this is me starting to practice for NOVA so I am using more and more Alpha Legion. I wanted the 5 cp so I have the EC detachment for the noise marines instead of 1 cp for the vanguard with AL.

It was a pretty successful list for the most part but not really due to the vindicators. My opponent was playing guard but not an optimized list I would say. More his okay this is 2k I have now with a lot of russes. 9 Leman Russes to be exact. 3 tanks squads of 3.

His army was something like this:
    4x 10 man guard squads with missile launchers and grenade launchers
    2x Company commanders with bolters
    6x Base LR with battle cannons and HBs
    2x LR with battle cannons, lascannons, and hbs
    1x LR with the plasma cannon and hbs
    2x 10xratling squads

I was kind of scratching my head on what I would due but we were playing malestrom so the cards would direct me a bit. I did know I wanted to get that middle of the board under control. I had great shooting from 24-12" but wasn't going to win a long range battle. Plus if I could get multiple russes in close combat I could finish off guard squads and win by objective with minimal fire back. Top it off I got first turn.

First turn I kill both ratling squads, get two guard squads down to about 3 people after leadership test. And shut down 2 russes with my heldrake. His shooting wasn't great. One noise marine squads absorbed 4 tanks worth of shooting. Another took another 5 tanks and ended up running with the last guy. On the shoot back almost finished off a guard squad that was combined. Heldrake took a few shots but lived. The defiler got knocked down to 2 wounds. Vindis are left alone. They are d3 shots and on the wrong side of the board from the other tanks.

My turn two my heldrake flies across the board and between it, the possessed, the possessed rhino, and the lord plus the jump pack lord I lock 7 of the 9 tanks in close combat. And I kill one. End of turn 3 I could permanently lock up all his tanks and he had 0 guardsmen and a single company commander left and surrendered. I might not of ever killed his tanks but I did win by just locking out half his army.

Changing my play style to hold the middle of the board more than I use to is paying dividends as chaos. Its good times.

Some pics in the spoiler of tonight:
    PpxdPAal.jpg
    JSAEvOil.jpg
    BoH6jjkl.jpg

I am going to try the vindicators at least once more before I give up on them. I think there is something there. They did do about 5 mortal wounds turn one with bad placement on my part. I think I could do more with them after a few games.

Folks look at my defiler and go its bad. Then it kills half an army because they don't know how to deal with it. I am sure I might hit the same with my vindicators.

Also the FAQ changes have really made the Heldrake way more worth the points. Getting in first turn with that thing is huge. And the CP boost is even better. I am using stuff I almost never used before. Chaos boon, infernal machines, and even the occasional daemonfire round to finish things off. Lots of stuff to use CP in the book making a showing now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Crouched down super low/telescopic physiology?

They were rumoured to do that

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Man, what is happening with Janetia Krole's face and head? Forgeworld is so uneven with its quality it the moment.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    @Mazzyx I really want you to make Vindicators work, because i love those stupid tanks

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Mazzyx I really want you to make Vindicators work, because i love those stupid tanks

I don't like writing things off after a single battle. It took me three or four games to understand how to use possessed right and what to do with them. Now they are a fantastic unit that may not kill their points but sure as hell let the rest of the army do work and tie up the enemy really well.

Sure bezerkers could do the job better probably but they are Khorne and that is not my thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna try some Necron lists that don't run Warriors at all. Gonna roll with those sweet ass Immortals and see if I can still do anything.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Quick rules question as I try to learn these Necrons.

My Will Be Done doesn't affect Overwatch as far as I know. That's fine. What about Tesla? How does it work in Overwatch? Does it explode on 6's?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/13/coming-soon-they-came-from-the-webway/
    Harlequins are next week along with that webway gate
    So I wait and see if they get a start collecting box

• Options
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/13/coming-soon-they-came-from-the-webway/

I wouldn't get your hopes up, their range is way too limited to get a Start Collecting box. A Shadowseer, Troupe and Starweaver would literally cover nearly two thirds of their entire army.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

I wouldn't get your hopes up, their range is way too limited to get a Start Collecting box. A Shadowseer, Troupe and Starweaver would literally cover nearly two thirds of their entire army.

I know but the AD mech got a box
    Part of me just wants to get 3 troupe boxes a shadowseer and a couple of the jetbikes so I can have a go between the flavors of Aeldari armies

• Options
    There should still be a bunch of harlequins on eBay from that deathwatch box.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Quick rules question as I try to learn these Necrons.

My Will Be Done doesn't affect Overwatch as far as I know. That's fine. What about Tesla? How does it work in Overwatch? Does it explode on 6's?

It does. The same applies to anything else that triggers on a six. This means that Tzaangor enlightened with bows who hit you in overwatch auto wound you.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    So there is a big rumbling in my club 40k chat about the Warhammerfest GT. First is the fact Orks one being a fluke or a difference in missions or what. Second is about how the Ork player played.

Rumors are the dude slow played and did take extra time when offered and so on. That I can't confirm as I wasn't there.

The other is some stuff being thrown out about it meaning anything. ITC/NOVA missions verse Chapter Approved missions (normal rule book missions suck we all agree).

Also I am not going to type it all up but Phil R. who is at RTT right now throw some nasty shade on the tournaments, mostly GW ones, on the other side of the pond and stating that basically that their tourneys are jokes and so on.

Its weird. I really don't mind either mission. But some of the stuff on the US side seems to be highly defensive about their house rules/missions verse the GW stuff. And also for some reason they don't seem to want to admit that their missions alter the meta in both good and bad ways.

I know there are a few tourney folks on the US side here and folks who play outside the US. What are your thoughts?

Also I guess orks were on the top tables at RTT this weekend? I haven't seen any write ups on it yet.

Edit: The RTT in NJ this weekend had no orks in the top 10. Nids, Sisters, and Nanavanti's Chaos were the top three.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I’ve played both sets of missions. They both bend the meta in pretty serious ways. GW missions favour large areas of board control, which is why Orks do so well. ITC packs need you to be able to steal objectives at end game and be able to kill something a turn. All the secondary’s are effectively kill a thing and effectively are the same for both sides because people build thier lists to deny. This favours lists with fast moving objective grabbers and being able to super buff one unit to kill something. See Eldar.

Honestly both have big problems, ITC missions are generally better, but also have issues.

Anything that uses maelstrom cards can go suck a grot.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that Deathwatch Terminators could take three heavy weapons in a five man squad. I love both Terminators and Assault Cannons, so I am tempted to pick up some shoulderpads and build a few as a small allied detachment.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I know I am a weirdo but like maelstrom cards because it makes the game unpredictable. Though I am happy bending rules and letting people ditch things.

Not for tourneys though for friendly play.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I do like the ITC method for maelstrom objectives where they’re won on the turn after you claim them, so the opponent has a turn to try and get you off them.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Its weird. I really don't mind either mission. But some of the stuff on the US side seems to be highly defensive about their house rules/missions verse the GW stuff. And also for some reason they don't seem to want to admit that their missions alter the meta in both good and bad ways.
    If they seriously don't think their rules don't alter the meta..... I can't eyeroll hard enough. Makes me think of the tournament scene worse than I do of Smash Bros lol.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).