As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    The only sleeves I use are UltraPro clear matte sleeves. I really like how nice they are, and in bulk they aren't too expensive. However, I have two gripes: Firstly, the stupid UltraPro hologram and it's terrible placement that blocks card text; and secondly, only one side is matte.

There seem to be a few others that wouldn't have those two gripes, but they've either had other issues or were a lot more expensive, so I haven't tried them yet. I still have a few UltraPro left so I haven't needed another bulk order.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I sleeved all of 7th continent with Maydays (900+) and everything seemed fine, but we're not one to analyze the face-down deck to spot things.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      The only sleeves I use are UltraPro clear matte sleeves. I really like how nice they are, and in bulk they aren't too expensive. However, I have two gripes: Firstly, the stupid UltraPro hologram and it's terrible placement that blocks card text; and secondly, only one side is matte.

There seem to be a few others that wouldn't have those two gripes, but they've either had other issues or were a lot more expensive, so I haven't tried them yet. I still have a few UltraPro left so I haven't needed another bulk order.

I also use those a lot. They have great shuffle feel. The logo is annoying though. If they made eclipses in clear I might do those although that would get spendy quickly.

It usually depends on how many dang cards. I did baseball highlights in the premium maydays. Also, mayday seems to have overall good fits in various sizes. I have used ffg a few times but they fit kind of long in one game and I haven't bothered since.

It feels like FFG sleeves are oiled. Makes me crazy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      It feels like FFG sleeves are oiled. Makes me crazy.

It's amazing how frictionless they are.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      edited May 2018
      Inis is growing on me from a second playthrough. Any techniques and strategies players should be aware of to prevent it from dragging? It went two hours long.

1. We were bad at drafting. Like, embarrassingly bad. We must have messed up our drafting four times after rehearsing it before play. I think I'll instruct players to hold their keeper cards in one hand and pass with the other.
      2. One player got all his Clans on the map while another struggled to do so because she did not get the New Clans card in her drafts. Partially this is bad luck. I went so far as to make sure the card went in her direction during drafts but another player got it.
      3. The player with all the clans active was repeatedly Geis'd (instant card cancellation) and felt frustrated until he ultimately spread out, got the six-territory condition and won it, breaking the tie as the Brenn.

Cantido on
      3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      The last time I played is the only time (across maybe 10 games now) that the game lasted 2 hours. Anything else is easily over inside of 75 mintues. Oddly, the game that took so long had two first-time players, and that might have wound up contributing. Neither of them really played towards a win condition, but consistently took some of the better cards for establishing them (I got stuck with Citadel so many times when I had nowhere in my regions I wanted to place it, and because of that the other person getting ... craftsman & peasants? [the one that places dudes for citadels] had basically no power either). In your case though, I expect things will speed up a bit when people better know the cards, and better know how they each help you win the game.

To the individual notes ...
      1 - You should physically hold the cards you're keeping, and put the pass cards face down on the table between you and the receiving player. Should make it pretty easy to not mess up if you're staring at the cards you intend to keep.
      2 - Having all your clans on the board is not necessarily good. If you're isolated or lumped up, it doesn't really do anything, and other players can give you cards that place clans knowing they'll be completely dead. Similarly, even if it's slow, there's, 4/5 other cards that place 1 or 2 clans (Festival, Exploration, Craftsmen & Peasants, New Alliance, Druid) and a bunch of epic tales. Placing a bunch of dudes on the board feels good, but it's often about your location moreso than numbers. You only need 1 guy on the board if that guy is where 6 sanctuaries are. :P
      3 - This is harder to comment on without knowing specifics of the game, but if he's the only one capable of winning, you can't fault other players for doing it. I'm assuming he was Brenn most of the game and had to lead, but still, play a throw-away card and then pass until other people have compromised or exposed themselves. Timing is a massive part of the game. Otherwise, it's similarly "unlucky" to the other player that he didn't get Geis himself to lock it out.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      for drafting, never place your cards down for the next guy if he already has a pile waiting. Wait for him to finish and pick up those cards before you put yours down and pick up the next set to look at. Always count every pack you put down and pick up to make sure they have the same number.

For playing fast, always know when you're going to pass before it's your turn.

For strategy, having few clans is great if you have no deed because you can start a fight or invade the mountains to get them killed. If you have no c clans at the start of your turn you lose all your deeds and put two clans anywhere on the board and then take your turn as normal. It's really powerful.

If one guy has too many clans start a three way fight where both people swing at him. He'll lose guys twice as fast as the combined losses of his aggressors.

sig.gif
    • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      Gaia project thoughts: it's terra mystica that I want to play again, so that's a step up. The tech tracks add a huge amount of fun for me personally, plus the modular board/2p scaling makes it way more appealing for my wife and I. Really looking forward to playing it again.

Ah_Pook wrote: »
      Gaia project thoughts: it's terra mystica that I want to play again

*GASP*

edited May 2018
      for drafting, never place your cards down for the next guy if he already has a pile waiting. Wait for him to finish and pick up those cards before you put yours down and pick up the next set to look at. Always count every pack you put down and pick up to make sure they have the same number.

For playing fast, always know when you're going to pass before it's your turn.

For strategy, having few clans is great if you have no deed because you can start a fight or invade the mountains to get them killed. If you have no c clans at the start of your turn you lose all your deeds and put two clans anywhere on the board and then take your turn as normal. It's really powerful.

If one guy has too many clans start a three way fight where both people swing at him. He'll lose guys twice as fast as the combined losses of his aggressors.
      *You lose only a single deed, not all of them. Huge difference.
      Gaia project thoughts: it's terra mystica that I want to play again, so that's a step up. The tech tracks add a huge amount of fun for me personally, plus the modular board/2p scaling makes it way more appealing for my wife and I. Really looking forward to playing it again.
      I really hope you play more because I'll be curious if your feels change similarly to mine. I was also blown away by the tech track initially. After four games, I still really like the randomized technologies and how those change the balance of the tech tracks, but I find the actual tracks kind of boring ... busywork? It's not like upgrading your shipping track or spade track in TM were particularly fun actions either, you know?

ArcticLancer on
      Even feeling that theyre busy work, do you not feel that they're at least better than the cult tracks?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
      So, Pokémon.

My son is pretty into the cards and shows, and I’ve got him some starters and random packs as “good job at school” rewards.

I’ve got the basics of the game down - the actual mechanics of play; I’ve been playing non-competitive Magic, Hearthstone, other CCGs forever - but deckbuilding for this particular system is something I could use some help with.

Is there a good resource out there for, eg, proper energy-basic-stage1-stage2 ratios?

I’m not looking to build anything super competitive, but helping my guy learn to build something functional would be helpful.

Speaking of games, I ordered Dungeon of Mandom VIII from Oink just now. It's the Japanese version of Welcome To The Dungeon and Welcome Back To The Dungeon on one package. Welcome To The Dungeon was the American version of the original Dungeon of Mandom, which only had the one hero type in it.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
      Just watched the SUSD review of 878 Vikings.

Anyone played that? It looks pretty decent, I don't have a ton of team vs team games ever since playing Memoir '44 and not actually picking it up.

https://youtu.be/ZO_AMHWSwto
      https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/204516/878-vikings-invasions-england

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
      edited May 2018
      Elvenshae wrote: »
      So, Pokémon.

My son is pretty into the cards and shows, and I’ve got him some starters and random packs as “good job at school” rewards.

I’ve got the basics of the game down - the actual mechanics of play; I’ve been playing non-competitive Magic, Hearthstone, other CCGs forever - but deckbuilding for this particular system is something I could use some help with.

Is there a good resource out there for, eg, proper energy-basic-stage1-stage2 ratios?

I’m not looking to build anything super competitive, but helping my guy learn to build something functional would be helpful.

Generally you want 2:1 non-energy:energy cards. This can vary depending on if you have Pokemon that discard energy to attack or not. For evolutions, probably a 3:2:1 ratio of basic:s1:s2 Pokemon. Remember, if you can't keep at least a basic pokemon in the field, you forfeit. So you want to make sure you can keep a good bench. Item cards should have an explicit purpose, to either stocking your main Pokemon with energy, or recovering in case it is knocked out early, or making sure you can deal with an opponent who got their heavy hitter out and is OHKO all of your basics.

That's what I know of it, but I haven't played in the latest sets. I'm sure there's better information out there, but it's a pretty casual game for the most part and that should keep the game fun.

Also,the guys in this thread (https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/208586/fight-bag-pokemon-run#latest) play the card game and can probably point you in a good direction.

ArcSyn on
      4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
      Thanks Hahnsoo1, JonBob, ArcticLancer, CrimsonCoyote, & Ah_Pook for the great responses. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, work was crazy the last few days. I don't know about the Mysterious Package Company. Their website is lacking and if it is like Loot Crate, I really don't want to start more of that. She already gets Hello Kitty Crate.

While you could do them in whatever order you want, I'll speak from experience here - If you grab an Exit box, starting with the Abandoned Cabin is solid. It's well put together with no real "fuck you"s, and gives you a good intro to what they're on about.
      As a comparison point, I'm pretty sure the deserted island (name of that one escapes me at the moment) would probably be _horrible_ for a first game, even though they have the same difficulty.
      That said, Pharaoh's Tomb was pretty good minus one solid "fuck you", so if you really want to give that one a go, it's a good pickup. Would probably recommend you play it second is all~
      I mean, come on, she's worth two games, isn't she? ;)

Abandoned Cabin it is, assuming I can find it at the FLGS or Gamestop tonight. She is worth multiple games, of course, but I have to take her out for an expensive dinner too.

NNID = Zepp914
    • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      Fuselage wrote: »

Anyone played that? It looks pretty decent, I don't have a ton of team vs team games ever since playing Memoir '44 and not actually picking it up.

I’ve played 1775 rebellion and adore it.

I haven’t bought a game in the series yet mostly because I can never decide which one I want.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Got a real good game night just now, Flamme Rouge, Potato Pirates, and Evolution with the Flight expansion.

Danbeard was the favorite for the first half of the game, as he got me in the ropes basically almost immediately, sinking my potato flagship (armed to the teeth!) and bringing me down to six potatoes, then attacking us with an If Else bombardment that would have been deadly if "The Denier" didn't Deny that. It then became a slap fight between Danbeard and Deadeye Guybrush with all the Hijacks and counter-hijacks, with The Plucky Gal and I also focusing on the current top dog Danbeard. We got blindsided by a sweeping If-Else bombardment looped thrice by The Denier (seriously, she got like five, six out of the ten Deny cards (aka counterspells) the whole game), with me, Guybrush, and Danbeard eliminated in one attack. It then went down to a slugfest between who'll become the Potato Pirate Queen between The Denier and The Plucky Gal, but the Denier ultimately won with a timely draw to Hijack one of the Plucky Gal's ships and fire with a salvo to sink the other one. Would recommend to would-be kid programmers and potato lovers.

Evolution is such a fun game, with all the combos going on the the hilarious mental images conjured by out species' combined traits (Flight, Long Neck, Fat Tissue - a cross between a vulture, an ostrich, and a turkey?) You don't really feel bad if the carnivores eat you as long as you survive the attack, because somehow your other species is a greedy scavenging sunovabich. Killing a species to extinction seems like a big blow to one's development, though: early game, the extra card you would have gotten per round (and would add up) is lost, while late game (last round even), you lose those extra three to four points at game end.

---

In another topic, my sister's (Plucky Gal) birthday is coming up, and I was thinking of giving her (aside from a non-game item) a rethemed card game featuring her favorite characters, Fitz and Simmons from Agents of SHIELD. Is Love Letter the best game to re-theme for that, or are there other alternatives? (PS - is this a kosher question?)

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
      For Inis, I've found spreading out is better than piling up and looking for a migrate. Being spread out makes you more vulnerable to incidental attacks, but it keeps you floating at a higher VP count and board position. Attacking weak regions is still kind of resource-intensive, especially more than one, so you often feel more vulnerable than you are. You also can't usually lose like 6 guys at once to a hilarious Warlord + epic tale combo that devastates your centre of power, if you keep spread out.

Early on players may be reluctant to fight, but if you can get the Bard more than once and almost ignore board position for the sake of getting a couple of deeds, suddenly you become a huge threat. One deed is very strong, but two is gamechanging, and if you get 3 you've basically won.

The other thing people don't catch on to early in Inis is how important the passing structure is. It can force people to spend cards when they don't want to. If you don't have a reason to act now--like if you're concerned about moving into a place packed with Citadels or using the citadel action to nab an important season card--consider passing. The onus is often on players with worse board position to act first, to improve their lot, because of the way passing works, but it depends on turn order.

To be honest my Inis strategy isn’t much more than pass, collect deeds, collect red cards.

Eventually I think folks will catch on and I will need to be craftier though. I hopefully will be playing it today.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular

Before watching that video: "I've bought too many board games recently. I need to step back, let my wallet breathe, and play the games I own."
      After watching that video: "I need to own this!"

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
      Even feeling that theyre busy work, do you not feel that they're at least better than the cult tracks?
      Yes, definitely, though I do miss the end of round bonuses. Also, priests are slightly more interesting resource than knowledge because you used them in a few different places, but that's so incredibly minor, whatever.
      It's mostly that there was a massive luster to the tech board the first time I played the game, thinking, "Holy shit, that right over there ... that's the real game, and it's awesome!" A few more plays in and it's more like, "Can I even succeed without logistics? I suppose I have to put some points into that ..."

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      ChaosHat wrote: »
      Darric wrote: »
      I've seen reports, and have personally encountered, inconsistent batches of the cheaper Mayday sleeves. A sleeve may be too tall that it's noticeable in a deck, or sometimes the card just don't plain fit inside. Their premium selection tends to be better, but those do cost more.

Their premium selection is not actually any better. Maybe, at best, proportionally.

Man I disagree with that. The premiums are way better. The cheap ones I don't even bother with anymore. Premiums are my go to for regular board games. I go higher quality for tournament style LCGs and such.

To clarify, I'm only talking about the cut consistency. I only ever buy thicker sleeves, and if I was to buy Mayday sleeves, they'd absolutely be the premiums. But the idea that they're any more consistent than the standard sleeves has not been true in my experience.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
      Got two games of Packet Row in this night. I won both, although the second was won with 5$ difference on a tiebreaker. We quite liked the game, it felt a lot like Splendor. The best thing is that you can play with 2 to 5 players. So 1 more than Splendor; making this our go-to "oh no we are with 5 and wanted to play Splendor!"-game.

Dashui wrote: »

Before watching that video: "I've bought too many board games recently. I need to step back, let my wallet breathe, and play the games I own."

See, that's what I thought!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
      Dashui wrote: »

See, that's what I thought!

A lot of the comments I've been reading disagree with his two-player assessment of the game, so that's good news. It sounds like it's fun regardless of player count.

I hearby declare Great Western Trail, Power Grid and Hansa Teutonica to be Tactinomics Games.. That's what I'm calling them now. Fight me.

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
      878 Vikings is a good follow up to three previous games (1812, 1775, 1763) and IMO is the best to date. It is a quick-moving and bloody game, with the Vikings overextending to try and deny as much recruitment as possible to the foe before getting pushed back by the Anglo-Saxons.

878 Vikings is a good follow up to three previous games (1812, 1775, 1763) and IMO is the best to date. It is a quick-moving and bloody game, with the Vikings overextending to try and deny as much recruitment as possible to the foe before getting pushed back by the Anglo-Saxons.

t72QJqB.png

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
      Yeah, i’m going to be looking to snag 878 Vikings at my upcoming boardgame convention too.

And I should have $50 or more in free dealer dollar funbucks due to helping run Kriegsspiel.

edited May 2018
      Hoooo shit, we just beat Pandemic Legacy s2.

That was great.

Full game spoilers
      Seriously, big spoilers.
      My farmer who I played from the start, noble Gobu, had Investigator and the right card to soak the scar. We lost the first one hard, taking two plague cubes in setup, but in the second game we managed to line things up and have Gubo die in the arms of the other character who had been there from game 1, who had built the last necessary supply centre.

Gobuism will flourish in the new world, which is doing pretty well at a final score of 738. Only four forsaken cities, thankfully, but it was all of Japan plus Seoul and Shanghai :(

That was really fun! What a tense, crazy endgame.

Gubo was the farmer and had Runner, Investigator, and Smuggler. And another one, i forget. I used him most of the game, because his basic action efficiency + runner was so useful for hitting cities that no one else could get to, especially early on before you're flying around. I switched to the Immunologist and the Scientist briefly for a couple of games each, but I think the starting locations were super difficult to mitigate. Scientist tore up a lot of cards, though.

We also leaned heavily on Patch, the labourer, who took Architect (obviously), another building buff, the ability to trade for cards of the same colour in the discard, and the free ferry. Took her in every game.

Captain Beehab (I'm so proud of that name) was the captain, who was extremely powerful with the deliver supplies to adjacent spaces upgrade, because she could give supplies to almost any city on the board in one action. She also had the ability to search using cards in the discard pile, which was amazing for red later on and for fueling her sailing.

We stacked Recon upgrades on Hi-fi, the radio guy, which was helpful with the card upgrades and saved our asses in completing The Plan.

Evil Multifarious on
    • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Wow, nice. (What follows isn't really a spoiler but tagging because.)
      We never used our Farmer for whatever reason. The ability just never felt useful. Good to see that we were apparently wrong on that.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
      Vyolynce wrote: »
      We never used our Farmer for whatever reason. The ability just never felt useful. Good to see that we were apparently wrong on that.

It's basically an extra action.

Spoilers for pandemic legacy s2
      Since you'll almost always be using him to cover cities that need help, especially if you give him some mobility upgrades like Runner or the bonus ferry/drive, the free drop saves him an action almost every turn. Imagine it would work really well with the upgrade to drop stuff in adjacent cities, as well.

Basically, even from the start, he can often cover two cities per turn instead of one. Saved us a lot of plague cubes.

I felt the dispatcher and researcher powers were kind of weak, personally, especially with satellite towers for the researcher ability. The farmer is certainly weaker than labourer, though.

The captain is the strongest character ability, I think. It's nuts.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
      edited May 2018
      Vyolynce wrote: »

It's basically an extra action.

Spoilers for pandemic legacy s2
      Since you'll almost always be using him to cover cities that need help, especially if you give him some mobility upgrades like Runner or the bonus ferry/drive, the free drop saves him an action almost every turn. Imagine it would work really well with the upgrade to drop stuff in adjacent cities, as well.

Basically, even from the start, he can often cover two cities per turn instead of one. Saved us a lot of plague cubes.

I felt the dispatcher and researcher powers were kind of weak, personally, especially with satellite towers for the researcher ability. The farmer is certainly weaker than labourer, though.

The captain is the strongest character ability, I think. It's nuts.
      Pandemic Legacy S2 role spoilers:
      Yeah, one of our players started using the Farmer at Month 4 and never stopped using it. We gave it the Helmsman (free move) and Courier (when Delivering supplies, you can deliver to one adjacent location instead), and it turned out to be quite powerful both in terms of action economy and the ability to dump cubes onto cities without actually entering them.

The Farmer ended up saving the world at the end, but only through sheer luck of the draw, since that player had all the right cards needed.

We never used our Captain! But mostly because we were so invested in the roles that we WERE using, that it seemed a bit futile to skill him up. I can see how the ability can be powerful, given how difficult travel can be in the game.

Hahnsoo1 on
      8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • AetherAether Registered User regular
      105 Points, suck it Sherlock.

Ahem, I'm enjoying the new Consulting Detective box. Although its still has the problem where if you want to win, you experience the least of the game. Still, suck it Sherlock.

I avoided Azul for the longest time because I thought the theme was dull. Laying colored tiles? Oh no, not for me. I want to throw around dudes on a map and chuck dice! But after reading all the positive statements about it here and elsewhere, I decided to give it a try.

It might be the most-played game in my house now. Everyone loves it. It's fast-paced, full of interesting decisions, fun gotcha' moments, and there's a visceral satisfaction to grabbing a bunch of tiles and laying them on your board in just the right positions for chains of points. Azul is a reminder for me not to judge a book - or in this case a board game - by its cover.

Anyone hungry for plastic candy?

Roll for the Galaxy is getting a sequel!

And where's that app they were talking about!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »

Place bets now

Race -> Roll -> ???

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
      Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
      Cantido wrote: »

Place bets now

Race -> Roll -> ???

Trade?

Pretty please?

This discussion has been closed.