As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    And also just murder people close to you because the loyalty thing is manageable... you just have to attack faster.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    There's also tile pillaging, the war mechanic that everyone forgets about.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    There's also tile pillaging, the war mechanic that everyone forgets about.

Do Aztecs get a bonus to tile pillaging?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    And also just murder people close to you because the loyalty thing is manageable... you just have to attack faster.

Yeah really loyalty penalizes weird situations. If your enemy has 3 cities in a ring around its capital and you take one, loyalty will kill you. If you charge in and take 2 cities and the capital too and just leave them with one undeveloped side city you will usually be fine.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Steam downloaded a patch. Aside from removing the gendered agendas from leaders I didn't note much in the patch notes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I tried the Netherlands. They are okay.

I think their strongest aspect is the fact that it is super easy to get a +3 adjacency bonus on your campus districts, so it's not that difficult for Rationalism to be fully armed and operational. I didn't really use the other stuff.

Steam
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Is it me or is the scoring in Civ 6 really off? Seems like all that matters is spamming as many cities as possible. I won a culture victory on a large map in 1800 with 10 good cities and didn't even get halfway up the scoreboard.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Is it me or is the scoring in Civ 6 really off? Seems like all that matters is spamming as many cities as possible. I won a culture victory on a large map in 1800 with 10 good cities and didn't even get halfway up the scoreboard.

Known problem. Does not adjust for victory time like it always has before, for one thing.

• Options
    I tried the Netherlands. They are okay.

I think their strongest aspect is the fact that it is super easy to get a +3 adjacency bonus on your campus districts, so it's not that difficult for Rationalism to be fully armed and operational. I didn't really use the other stuff.

I should try them again with buffed polders.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Apparently the unusual behavior of some Civ VI AIs may be due to a typo in the game's code.

https://kotaku.com/fans-discover-game-changing-typo-in-civilization-vis-co-1823845314
    Religion has been a powerful motivating force throughout human history, but some Civilization VI AIs are a little too into religion, at the expense of, well, pretty much everything else. It’s a real bug, and it’s all because of a typo.

Earlier this week, a Something Awful thread pointed to a bizarre irregularity in Civilization VI’s code: In some instances concerning AI civilization leaders’ default priorities, the word “yield” is spelled “yeild.”

c4hdeb8prubz8q7mfhti.png

The players speculated that, normally, code like “YIELD PRODUCTION 25" would make a civ prioritize production and perform really well, but “YEILD PRODUCTION 25" means nothing to the game. And so, AI leaders afflicted with the dreaded spelling bee bug obsess over things like religion, sometimes to their own detriment, because they have no default values for other important qualities.

Today, in a statement to PC Gamer, developer Firaxis acknowledged that the glitch is real and, uh, oops.

“We’re aware of a community-reported bug that has a minor impact on AI behavior,” said Firaxis. “We’ve also made sure that everyone knows that I goes before E except after C… or other weird exceptions.”

A fix will be included as part of Civ VI’s next update.

• Options
    Yeah, fixing that seems to make a pretty big difference in ai science output, making them more competitive in the late game. There’s a hotfix mod on the workshop.

• Options
    So another big ai bug has been found and fixed. The ai was not appropriately switching strategies from its early game to medieval priorities, so was overvaluing things like farms and faith in the midgame.

Fix is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333457772

Yield bug fix is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1330806154

Both have significant positive effects on ai performance and should be considered mandatory hotfixes until the next update.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    In my current game I declared a protectorate war to defend one of my city-states, which the game said I could do without any warmonger penalty. However, 5 civs immediately declared war on me in response. Is this a bug?

I honestly still don’t understand what the game considers “warmongering”. Whether it’s being at war for an extended time, or building up an army, or what.

I’m playing the iOS version if that makes a difference.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Warmongering is taking cities.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    maybe the other civs were allied with the civ that was attacking the CS?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    They weren’t. I dunno. I just deal with it. Later in the same game I noticed that Scythia(the aggressor in the first instance) was massing a shit ton of cavalry near my border(btw it’s bullshit that there’s no way to demand civs stop building armies on your border but they pitch a fit if a scout wanders past theirs). Figuring she was about to attack me I started garnering my defenses. But she never attacked me. She went after the city state right next to me. Which was another of mine. So naturally I decided to fight another protectorate war.

Luckily I was a lot more advanced and had invested in anti-cavalry unit’s which made quick work of her double-production cavalry. Ended up with 4 new cities and I never attacked any of them. Just kept clicking cities until the Accept Deal button went away, and then removed the last one from the list.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Just you I think? I’ve never had trouble with them… get enough mountains in your territory and they will only even take one hex of “useful” land.

Speaking of using mountains, does anyone else wish that wonders that were historically built on mountains could actually be built on (or even require) mountains in the game?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is building national parks basically impossible?

Its a super specific list of requirements, so yeah, is not easy.

• Options
    I was close to a religious victory but the game was ending and I wasn’t going to make it. The. I had the brilliant idea of giving away a couple of cities to push the percentage of that last civilization over 50%.

Of course, the game froze up during the victory screen and I didn’t get “credit” but I thought it was clever.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    So I got a Culture win as Korea. On a weird continents map. There were 3 islands surprisingly and I had an entire island to myself, with 4 city states on it.

Gorgo was my only rival in culture, but a few art stealing spies helped in that regard. She had an early war versus Peter and wiped him out claiming all his cities and owning like 80% of her continent. It was getting late and I didn't want the game to go on much longer so when she out of no where declared on me, it was great because I got to nuke her entire continent and win a few turns later. She wasn't in a good spot, because I'd formed an alliance with everyone except her and Aztec, and with Lautaro (Mapuche) I'd been feeding him science with tech alliance. When she declared and the rest of the world (cept aztec) went to war with her Lautaro ended up taking a few cities off her which must have been enough to tip the culture scales in my favour.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Some not-quite patch note announcements for upcoming stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb278q5X9v4

sounds good to me, especially the changes to joint wars and religion having a loyalty influence.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    It cracks me up how much more natural on camera like the whole Paradox crew is than poor Anton there.

• Options
    Did they give an announcement on when the patch will drop?

Steam
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I think the last one of these was pretty soon after the video, but no concrete dates yet

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    are there any notes for the update or just the video? I can't watch it yeetttt

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Polders are disgusting if you have Auckland city state in your game and you manage to get a Huey (which you probably should be aiming for anyway). I managed to have a start area that was covered in lakes, which I was able to put polders in most slots of them.

• Options
    are there any notes for the update or just the video? I can't watch it yeetttt

Big changes:

1) Joint wars require a casus belli from at least one participant. Any civ may join an existing war by joining whatever the casus belli was.
    2) Cities of a religion you founded get a loyalty boost. Cities of a religion different from the one you founded get a loyalty hit.
    3) England's nerf was severe, so they get a buff. Get a free unit when they found a city on a different continent and when those cities build a Royal Dockyard.

There are also a couple other balance changes, one for Korea, but they weren't specific.

• Options
    I wonder if Koreas Hwarang was deemed too strong with the governor that gives similar benefit.

I was sort of wondering how long it would be until Magnus got a nerf. His chop ability is pretty strong. I wonder if they'll keep it, but just move it down his tree a little. He's first pick for most people that I've seen play, and he's nearly always first pick for me. Not only for the chop ability but for the settler bonus too.

• Options
    Had my first (legit) religious win as Jayavarman the other day.

My previous win was Russia vs Kongo tiny map just to get the achieve and see what it was.

Anyway, Jayavarman. Pretty insane holy generation. The only thing I'd do different next time would be make sure I pick the holy talent that stops you losing religious pressure when your units die. In hindsight it's obvious, as you want your units dying early to generate relics, but I worked around it by letting my units die in areas I wasn't attempting to convert as yet.

Finished the game with 15 of the 20 something relics. Had Babylon which meant I got science from them as well just as a nice bonus. No Kandy on the map which would have been great. It got to the point where I was fearing I'd accidentally get a culture win. I had set out for religious, so was determined to get it.

I may go back and try Persia again. Learned some things from my first play through and now that I'm more aware their unique building increases surrounding tiles appeal, it means I can start taking desert tiles and "improving" them to make national parks for tourism.

• Options
    Patch notes for the spring update, (which is apparently tomorrow) are here https://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1657765746056678422

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Some outrageous things getting rightfully nerfed:

Magnus chop down from 100% to 50%, Ecommerce and Democracy nerfed. Pingala nerfed too, which is nice. Also Korea.

Communism buff is interesting.

I'm looking forward to spinning this up this weekend.

Steam
  • Options
    Magnus’s chopping skills were great but I still prefer vertical integration; with a compact civ, a centrally located city can get ridiculous production. Especially if you have {that city state which boosts ranged bonuses} under your thumb.

• Options
    Magnus chop nerf was needed. I think he's still going to be first pick for most people, even with 50%.

I don't know that I like Democracy nerf, I tend to favor yellow cards over red so I always pick democracy, so losing the production is annoying.

Ecommerce doesn't seem like too bad a nerf, considering that I mostly use internal trade routes anyway, it works for me. I only use external trade routes during industrial onwards if I'm pushing culture, before that having internal production bonus is better for me.

Additional Historic moments are nice. I hope some of them come in medieval.. I always find it hardest to golden age medieval if i'm not killing other cities.

• Options
    Oh yeah, extra historic moments are good. No idea who decided landing on the moon wasn’t worth more than one era score… especially if max levelling a spy is worth more somehow, and consistently too.

• Options
    Tried out the new patch. I like the changes so far.

Anyone else get any games in over the w/end?

• Options
    I'm about 2/3 of the way through a France game from yesterday. Seems like good readability changes so far (I don't remember trade routes having their own tab before, but I may have missed that in a prior update) Alliances seem a lot more robust as well, had 2 running for a long time without too many problems.

Main gripe is an old one, in that other Civs asking you for a joint war never seem to use a Casus Belli so accepting them seems an easy route to Help a guy out -> WTF you warmonger! -> I hate you!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Now that's it's been out for awhile, what's the thoughts on the expansion? When it came out it seemed to be rated pretty average.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    It is pretty good on the whole, with a few annoying things still, most of which can be fixed by mods or ignored.

Warmonger is annoying, especially with cyrus who will ask you to go to war and then blame you instantly for making war. I made my own personal mod to disable the warmonger penalty for cyrus, Montezuma, and shaka, and make the Darwinist random agenda which does the same thing more likely to pop up for guys like chandragupta and ghenghis khan, which is something I should really get around to posting to the steam workshop one of these days.

There’s a bit of a quirk with the cede city option in peace deals never being removed even though it was taken out as a mechanic. Just never pick that option in a peace treaty (picking it gives you warmonger for no reason eassentially)

The tech tree is still quirky with dead ends and odd lack of prerequisites, there are a few mod options to fix this.

Some of the unit upgrades are a bit wonky (like ancient horsemen hanging around until the gunpowder age). The steel and thunder mod fixes this and is highly recommended (the 2 unique units part for each is ok but ymmv, I like some but don’t care for others, fortunately it is available seperatly from the main mod)

All that being said, I feel like it is pretty solid. Golden and dark ages work well and give you some objectives to work towards, the new civs are for the most part pretty interesting. If you like civ 6 its worth getting if you hated civ 6 it won’t change your mind.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    My friends and I really enjoy Civ 6, it's just we are all working adults so it's hard to plan for a session haha. Trying to decide between Civ 6 and expansion vs Endless Legend and expansions for the next time.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45