As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Quantum Break] Time Is Like An Egg.

13»

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The easter egg in chapter 1. I...I need that to be a real thing. Like desperately need it to be real.

No lie, I looked at it twice, grinning ear to ear each time.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    well, that's chapter 5 all wrapped up. endgame spoiler
    damn that final fight with Paul Serene and his grunts was a bitch on hard, even with all powers fully upgraded.
    will give more in-depth thoughts a lil later but overall i really enjoyed it. it certainly offered something different and i think Remedy could easily build upon what they've made here to create a truly great franchise.

• sockssocks Registered User regular
    The easter egg in chapter 1. I...I need that to be a real thing. Like desperately need it to be real.

No lie, I looked at it twice, grinning ear to ear each time.

Apparently you can watch it full screen from the menus.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Finished up Act 2 tonight - I'm liking it a lot so far, the set pieces are amazing and the whole end of the gameplay part of Act 2 was pretty great. I'm not getting into the "show" quite as much but so far it's OK.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    I'm nearing the end of Act 4. Really like the game so far, I'm also liking the show. I find the characters in both to be quite good. I don't want it to end just yet, but I'm probably going to be able to finish it over the next couple of nights.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Just finished Act 5.
    yeah, that Serene fight was about a bitch and a half. But I know one guy who would have no troubles with it:
    TIME STABBER!

ygPIJ.gif
  • GoldenbarqsGoldenbarqs Registered User regular
    Just finished Act 5.
    yeah, that Serene fight was about a bitch and a half. But I know one guy who would have no troubles with it:
    TIME STABBER!
    i was SO MAD that in the final e-mail the guy sends he says that he filmed a short promo for the kickstarter AND THEN YOU DON'T GET TO SEE THE PROMO

steam_sig.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Well, that was weird. There were little text ads for this all over my Windows 10 lock screen this morning.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Just finished Act 5.
    TIME STABBER!
    i was SO MAD that in the final e-mail the guy sends he says that he filmed a short promo for the kickstarter AND THEN YOU DON'T GET TO SEE THE PROMO
    You do.

It's the short clip on the computer right next to the one with the email.

ygPIJ.gif
    Just finished Act 5.
    TIME STABBER!
    You do.

It's the short clip on the computer right next to the one with the email.

GODDAMNIT.

also i just remembered how it was amusing to me that everyone was clearly using Windows phones, with them even modeling the live tiles and phonecall screens correctly (mostly). i have the exact same phone as paul serene.

steam_sig.png
    I didn't notice any of the product placement until someone tweeted about the product placement. Now it's all I see. :)

I am so close to finished (I think). I want to click on your spoilers so bad.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Biggi and Banzaii get off to a running start
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzFNt24CB8

Goddamn sticky keys.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Question: I want to get this on PC; how bad is the port? Should I just run out and buy an Xbox?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Question: I want to get this on PC; how bad is the port? Should I just run out and buy an Xbox?

i have not heard great things but i don't know if it's so bad as to go out and buy an xbox just for the game. apparently the pc port is kind of stuttery i believe?

steam_sig.png
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Well I bought this game on PC and can report with a Titan X card I can't run it on ultra on 1440p. Definite stuttering. If I turn off the shadows from the highest to the next highest it runs fine. It's a real pretty game. I've only got as far as Act 2 Part 3, so plenty to run still. The only problem so far is that I seem to have trouble registering shotgun hits - particularly up close, which sort of defeats the purpose of it. Anyone else got this?

envoy1 on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

It has very high system requirements. A GTX 970 is recommended (and maybe closer to "minimum requirements" frankly).

It's clearly not a port job of Arkham Knight proportions, but it's not Killer Instinct either. But by all accounts, you need a lot of horsepower to move it with all the considerable bells and whistles going.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh damn, I have a GTX970 but if it's closer to minimum. I really do want to play it but hmph...maybe I should wait it out a few weeks at least.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Hey I'm finally playing this! I'm not long past the first episode of the TV show and really quite enjoying it so far. The combat certainly feels a bit more on the Max Payne end of the scale, rather than Alan Wake, because I've got things I can do besides dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge.

forumsig.png
    wow, i completely forgot to write up my impressions of the game for the thread. that's a bit embarrassing. oh well, they are coming! until then here's a little something special to keep you all entertained until then,

easter egg/collectable spoiler:
    A Live Reading of TIME KNIFE!!!!
    https://youtu.be/4nh7FF2CRjI

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    this game is still sealed in its wrapper. Gonna get into it soonish!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Oh, in all the cross-buy talk for this, I never actually realised that it shared saves! I went and loaded it up on the Xbox last night to play through up to the point I'd reached on the PC (I think it'll run better for recording than having my PC do the work of both playing and capturing), and was amazed to see that I could continue from where I'd got to. That's really cool but also kind of a shame because I sort of wanted to play through the opening of the game for a bit, but mostly it's really cool.

forumsig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    socks wrote: »
    I was just about to post how the reviews have been pretty positive so far. The comments to that Giant Bomb review are frustrating. "Thanks Jeff, now I don't have to buy this!" "Well, I guess I can save my money!"

Do people really rely on the review of one person to decide whether or not they should buy a game? I like reviews, but I would never rely on a review to make my final decision on whether or not I will purchase a game.

I kinda wish I had; Jeff's opinions on the combat mirrored my own pretty closely after all was said and done. This game really didn't feel great to play, IMO. Aiming felt haphazard and player movement was a little sloppy. Also, enemy variety sucked.
    Seriously, we spend the entire game hearing about some damn Quantum Zombies and we never actually fight them in the game? I was genuinely looking forward to that after dealing with shootguys with interchangable weapons the entire game who occasionally have a ability like the time dodge or the anti-field.

I liked the story stuff more than Jeff did, but at some point I think I would have rather just watched a netflix miniseries than get the story from the game. Also, holy shit I think I, no joke, developed an eye-twitch from reading all the collectible text; it was just small enough that I had to strain my eyes to read it where I was sitting. I liked the extra context but man there were just way too many of them. Also I felt like they were really incongruit with the game. Many times I'd read something in a collectible (ostensibly the main character read it too) only to have someone explain the same thing like 5 minutes later and Jack goes "whaaaaaa?" Also, too many times it was super easy to get ahead of the story.
    Like, as soon as I found a mural depicting a present day event, I went "Oh, one of the good guys must travel back in time at some point. Jack doesn't make that realization until way after he finds and spends a chapter reactivating a time machine. Also the CFR being the countermeasure took way too long for the heroes to figure out, but looking back I can't say 100% they had enough information to make that distinction, so I probably shouldn't complain there.

Overall, this felt very Alan Wake to me, where I liked the story but hated the gameplay. Given American Nightmare felt a lot better to play, maybe QB2 will be a little tighter.

Oh yeah, the load times were horrendous, but I guess that's just a modern design issue?

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Just finished. Found most but not all of the collectibles, so I am wondering if a couple of the hanging plot threads were tied up somewhere that I missed. Or perhaps if different Junction decisions would have clarified some of it.
    There is obviously some intentional ambiguity between determinism and free will, as that is the last question asked in the framing story and then it's all over. Are the meta-textual ideas of the "junctions" and "quantum ripples" ever discussed in this context? I did see one document that seemed to discuss the ripples, but that seems to go in the face of the deterministic assumptions Monarch is making.

Is it clear why Jack tells all this to Monarch after the countermeasure is activated? And why the whole discussion is so calm? You'd think there would be some fallout from Jack having killed hundreds of Monarch employees.

Is the inconsistency of Paul and Beth thinking the End of Time is in 2021, not 2016, ever wrapped up?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Just finished. Found most but not all of the collectibles, so I am wondering if a couple of the hanging plot threads were tied up somewhere that I missed. Or perhaps if different Junction decisions would have clarified some of it.
    There is obviously some intentional ambiguity between determinism and free will, as that is the last question asked in the framing story and then it's all over. Are the meta-textual ideas of the "junctions" and "quantum ripples" ever discussed in this context? I did see one document that seemed to discuss the ripples, but that seems to go in the face of the deterministic assumptions Monarch is making.

Is it clear why Jack tells all this to Monarch after the countermeasure is activated? And why the whole discussion is so calm? You'd think there would be some fallout from Jack having killed hundreds of Monarch employees.

Is the inconsistency of Paul and Beth thinking the End of Time is in 2021, not 2016, ever wrapped up?
    I saw a document that described Quantum Ripples as basically being a name for tracking events down to thier "source point," so it doesn't sound like it conflicts with the determinism idea. Never saw Junction Points discussed in any documents.

It sounds like Monarch wants to hire Jack (given his abilities); him killing a bunch of employees is probably counter-balanced by the fact that they were following Paul's apparently doomed plan, and that Jack stopped the End of Time.

I figured the 2016/2021 thing is basically the sequel hook, with the idea being that the 2016 event was always averted and that 2021 is the true end of time. William mentions he's not 100% sure the fracture was actually sealed in the end.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just beat this. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Loved all the bootstrap paradoxes, and the general rules of time travel in play here.

I was left wondering tho - what was the End of Time that Beth and Paul experienced? If we accept that there's no changing the past, then there's no way Jack actually changed the future either, he was always fated to succeed at exactly that moment. So how was the End of Time future ever possible? It seems like it was more related to being in the time machine when it is deactivated, as that's what happens to both Paul and Beth when they go to the End of Time. They were dumped into this purgatory until they found a way back out, which they interpreted as a doomed future.

I also loved the concept of the naturally occurring time machine Hatch apparently found, possibly millennia ago...

had a couple complaints about the gameplay, it never really clicked and felt as good to play as Alan Wake did, but I liked it enough to give it a second go around on Hard and check out the alternate path stuff sometime.

Oh brilliant
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Re. where Beth and Paul went:
    They tried to make it ambiguous as to what the rules actually are. Maybe Jack is right, and he was able to stop things. More likely, Paul is right, but was wrong about the timing. This is consistent with other bits of narrative indicating that things were happening earlier than expected. So I think we are meant to believe that the End of Time is still going to happen, but it is some years off. In the future Paul and Beth experienced, this "near miss" had also happened; they just didn't have any way to know about it, since they missed the intervening years in their time jump.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I forgot I bought this. I think that I will start this next.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    How hard is this game on "hard"--after unlocking all powers? As I recall, you retain them once you unlock in in the story--I'm considering actually getting 1000/1000 for once in a game.

Synthesis wrote: »
    How hard is this game on "hard"--after unlocking all powers? As I recall, you retain them once you unlock in in the story--I'm considering actually getting 1000/1000 for once in a game.

for the most part its not that hard. the final boss is a bitch though.

Yeah, I recall that being a pain on normal before I stumbled onto the right "trick", though I don't remember what it was now.

Also need to go through all the other decision paths.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Late to the party, but just finished this.

The shooting was so so, but the story was pretty good and the show actually was fairly well made.

I hope they do a sequel (as they hinted at), but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

The shooting was so so, but the story was pretty good and the show actually was fairly well made.

I hope they do a sequel (as they hinted at), but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

I wouldn't turn down a sequel. But Remedy had a trailer for an Alan Wake extended universe thing. Give me all the Alan Wake and put it directly into my head meats!

That's what I'm afraid of. Another basically 1 off and we never get a proper sequel.

Just off the top of my head things we need a sequel for:
    It didn't end on a cliffhanger exactly, but he is damn well is going to hop into a time machine and save Beth.

Hatch is super traveler and is jumping through timelines or something even from death or something.

Where the hell did Amy go?

He's sick now, of course.

And plenty of other little things, I am sure.

I think Remedy got some cash to make yet another new IP, though.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

I wouldn't turn down a sequel. But Remedy had a trailer for an Alan Wake extended universe thing. Give me all the Alan Wake and put it directly into my head meats!

whaaaaaaaaat

gimme

Oh brilliant
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

whaaaaaaaaat

gimme

In Chapter 1 there was a blatent Alan Wake / Night Springs easter egg and the game was littered with Alan Wake and Night Springs hints that Quantum Break and Alan Wake both take place in the same universe.
    Video in spoilers showcases a number of the Alan Wake easter eggs that were hidden the in the game. Some easily found and others you had to stumble upon.

That's almost certainly just easter eggs and nothing more.

They're making some new IP according to my brief google search. At least they didn't say it was a sequel to anything and were vague about what it was, so chances are it's new. Suppose that can do both, but doesn't seem likely.

Quantum Break > Alan Wake anyway!

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    There's probably maybe perhaps some sort of exclusivity thing going on with Alan Wake + Microsoft and I'm fairly sure Remedy have said their next joint will be multiplatform

I still need to try and bust through the whole storyline on hard--last time I was working on it, I noticed that the in-game unlockables tracking seemed to reset when you replayed a level? Weird feature, though considering I already got the achievements for it, hardly matters.