As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Amazon is selling Gloomhaven for a comparatively good price, and I almost, almost went for it. But what I'm reading about the set up and tear down time is really pushing me off of that game. I don't know if I have the patience, not to mention I play a lot of my games outside my home. I'm not sure how realistic it would be to do that with Gloomhaven and my particular situation. Oh well!

Get the Broken Token, Meeple Realty, or Go7 Gaming inserts for it. They apparently turn set-up into an exercise in pulling out a couple of trays.

(I'm still building mine; I've had no real crafts time the past couple of months.)

Those would help. They also cost about $80. I'm not really willing to do that.

If Gloomhaven drops further in price at some point, I'll probably go for it. But I don't think it's a fit right now for who I'd play it with and where it would be set up. For the rest of you! Amazon's $136 price doesn't sound bad.

There are other solid dungeon crawlers. The core set of Imperial Assault will scratch pretty much exactly the same itch, for half the price.

IA is based on descent, and thus isn't coop and has a bunch of dubiously designed mechanics and missions (imo)

It's full co-op with the app.

• Options
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I've been insanely tempted by some Meeple Realty stuff lately. As I try to buy fewer games and go for only the cream of the crop, well of course that just leaves disposable income to throw at blinging my shit out. Meeple Realty really seems to have some of the nicest insert options. It almost makes me want to buy the newer edition of Tzolk'in so I can get the insert for that with the vastly superior first player marker.

14-1200x797.jpg

Oh also, I still have stuff to sell. Please, fund my desire to have pointless but really cool inserts. Also I might buy like ONE game. Maybe Baren Park? Part of the challenge of buying less games is I still want games, but the goal is to get stuff that is like "Wow this is excellent" or it fills some hole in the collection. I've generally gotten good at "will we like this game?" so there are very few absolute duds that we play, but just trying to kick it up that extra notch into excellence.

FYI @ChaosHat sold me a game last week and it was an excellent buying experience. Fair price, shipped within days, excellent condition. A++, would buy again, etc

Seconded! My care package from @ChaosHat arrived today in great shape!

I was a bit further away, so got mine today, in great condition, thanks again @ChaosHat!

Thanks, I hope you enjoy everything.

And you too can be a satisfied customer of Hat's Emporium of Gently Used, Quality Games. Simply peruse my wares and shoot me a PM. We're currently offering a special which is buy Chimera Station and I'll throw in...something else?

Just remember our motto: "Great deals because my wife won't let me get new things unless there's space for them to go on the shelf!"

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    My GOD is the Rising Sun rulebook trash. So hard to find anything you’re looking for.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    Absolutely. Also, some of the rules are not precisely worded, leaving things open to potential misinterpretation. Is this common for CMON?

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Amazon is selling Gloomhaven for a comparatively good price, and I almost, almost went for it. But what I'm reading about the set up and tear down time is really pushing me off of that game. I don't know if I have the patience, not to mention I play a lot of my games outside my home. I'm not sure how realistic it would be to do that with Gloomhaven and my particular situation. Oh well!

Get the Broken Token, Meeple Realty, or Go7 Gaming inserts for it. They apparently turn set-up into an exercise in pulling out a couple of trays.

(I'm still building mine; I've had no real crafts time the past couple of months.)

Those would help. They also cost about $80. I'm not really willing to do that.

If Gloomhaven drops further in price at some point, I'll probably go for it. But I don't think it's a fit right now for who I'd play it with and where it would be set up. For the rest of you! Amazon's $136 price doesn't sound bad.

There are other solid dungeon crawlers. The core set of Imperial Assault will scratch pretty much exactly the same itch, for half the price.

IA is based on descent, and thus isn't coop and has a bunch of dubiously designed mechanics and missions (imo)

It's full co-op with the app.

If you have access to IA and haven't tried it with the app, I do recommend it highly.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Supply Lines of the American Revolution got a sequel.

Ugh I really should grab both.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Remembered that pretty new version of Brass is a thing and that I could afford it now.
    They closed preorders for the deluxe version a month ago.
    Dammit. :(

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Anyone played The City of Kings? Any thoughts or impressions?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Anyone in the US with $12 to burn might want to check out Sprawlopolis on KS (not sure on non-US costs). It's a solo/co-op city-building game. Each game you deal out three random objectives that tell you both how you score points and the goal total your group is trying to achieve. Looks like a great pocket-sized option.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Anyone in the US with $12 to burn might want to check out Sprawlopolis on KS (not sure on non-US costs). It's a solo/co-op city-building game. Each game you deal out three random objectives that tell you both how you score points and the goal total your group is trying to achieve. Looks like a great pocket-sized option.

DAMN YOU BOARD GAME THREAD!!!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Looks very similar to Between Two Cities with scoring objectives similar to Kingdom Builder, but tiny. Hmm.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I do like that tiny form factor. It's too much of a static puzzle for me though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

DAMN YOU BOARD GAME THREAD!!!!

I've taken bigger hits because of this thread. Bought!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited May 2018
      We got to play 4-player The Great Zimbabwe again last night.
      Game went much differently than the first time, where at least we did a good job of not giving one person roughly a monopoly on craftspeople. :P Instead this time I won by basically passing on turn order, paying full into Herd each turn, and taking the relaxed deity. The game was basically over when nobody had adjusted their prices and I was able to upgrade to a L3 and L4 temple in the same turn, putting me 3 points away from target when everyone else was still just breaking 10 points. One guy pivoted as best he could, following up the next turn upgrading his three temples (L3, L3, L2), but then nobody else did and I got to upgrade my remaining L1 to a L2, putting me 1 point away from winning. Craftspeople had been adjusted at this point, so friend could not afford to upgrade all his temples again (would be the only way he could win) because he'd need 30 cattle or so (I paid him well before, but not THAT well), while I just needed to place another temple.
      That game is genuinely impressive for how hard it is to suss out what is either a good plan or an incredibly stupid plan, and players' relative tempo can be so dramatically different because of that. Like, my game-over point was maybe the half-way point for two of the other players (because both had cranked their VR into the 30s). But I'm sure the next game we play will be completely different again~

Also, lucky me, last night on a last leg of looking at Brass stuff, found that a Canadian store a province over had 1 remaining preorder for Deluxe Birmingham. Maybe kicksterater copies would be somewhat reasonably priced in the end since the clay money is being released separately, but I'm happy enough to have secured it (especially because I was really more interested in the upgraded board and token bits than the money, but, you know, priorities :P ). Christmas is saved.

ArcticLancer on
    • Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      Played Gaia Project Wednesday after dinner, watched the Heavy Cardboard playthrough last night, planning to buy myself a copy tomorrow... Yes I think it's safe to say this one has worked itself into my brain pretty intensely at this point.

• Options
      Played Gaia Project Wednesday after dinner, watched the Heavy Cardboard playthrough last night, planning to buy myself a copy tomorrow... Yes I think it's safe to say this one has worked itself into my brain pretty intensely at this point.
      I'm still shocked the two games can have such wildly different appeals. It's like, 55-45 split over how much I prefer one to the other. But then there are others who just swear one is "the version that works."
      How many players are you tending to play with, Pook?

• Options
      I've only played it twice so far, both 4p. Really looking forward to getting my own copy and trying it 2p with my wife.

I didn't hate TM it just left me and my wife feeling pretty meh after playing it a few times. The tech track and randomized setup in GP are both huge additions imo.

• Options
      Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

Great! Thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to get Circle the Wagons too.

NNID = Zepp914
    • Options
      PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      I liked GP a lot more than TM but both take 4+ hours for us so that's a dealbreaker

I get to play board games toniiiiiiiiiiiiiight

sig.gif
    • Options
      I liked GP a lot more than TM but both take 4+ hours for us so that's a dealbreaker

How many players? We took about 4 for both of our 4p games so far but they both included new players (all new the first time, including learning rules on the fly heh). I think it will never be a short game but 3hr doesn't seem totally unrealistic with max players.

• Options
      PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

How many players? We took about 4 for both of our 4p games so far but they both included new players (all new the first time, including learning rules on the fly heh). I think it will never be a short game but 3hr doesn't seem totally unrealistic with max players.

3 or 4, idr

sig.gif
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Reminder PAX Unplugged tickets go on sale in just under 2 hours from this post. Figured the board game thread is a good place to remind people about the board game PAX.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      edited May 2018
      I found out I'm still playing GWT wrong. I, a relatively advanced player, should be flipping the tiles like a coin to determine if players will be using the A or B sides of their tiles.

I'm not looking forward to that. The B side looks unpleasant.

Cantido on
      3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
      We screwed up trains in GWT early on, by letting people share spaces. Suffice to say that train movement has gotten a lot more cutthroat since then.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    • Options
      JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
      So I bought Bios:Genesis at a recent convention. Small game, reasonable price, all about early evolution and abiogenesis? Take my money!

Then I opened the rulebook. :(

I thought I bought a board game, not a god damn biology textbook!

(Seriously, why do people write rulebooks like that anyway?)

GameCenter: ROldford
      Switch: nin.codes/roldford
    • Options
      Phil eklund has a particular style to his rulebooks.

• Options
      MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      edited May 2018
      What a coincidence everyone started talking about the Escape or Exit series.

Last weekend I visited the folks for mother's day, and instead of our annual start of summer Fireball Island game, we booked a live Escape the Room session that just opened up at a nearby mall (malls seem to be shifting away from shops and more into activity centers, with bowling alleys, trampolines, bouncy castles, indoor go karts).

It was fun, but it's hard to tell with the live ones if you're supposed to ransack the room for clues first or if you're supposed to follow a string of clues from the initial one. We spent the first half hour trying to get somewhere from the initial clue, but it turned out we just had to ransack and get more clues. Got rolling after that though, and finished it with 70 seconds left on the clock.

Bought The Abandoned Cabin from the Exit series and played the next night. Really fun, with one of the revealed solutions eliciting a "whoooooooah!" from everyone. Although we had to call bullshit on the Moon puzzle. Will probably buy a bunch more and save them for casual nights with the folks and their friends. One caveat is I wish it was more clear on what puzzles you can solve and which you need to wait for more cards on. I think a full half of our time was wasted trying to use the "strange objects" on everything before it was possible to.

(you totally don't need to cut up and destroy your copy of Abandoned Cabin. Just have a scanner on standby when you play and print a copy of the one or two cutout parts when they come up)

MrBody on
    • Options
      Wow. The Xenoshyft app sure likes to crash. I couldn't even make it through the tutorial and gave up after the 5th try.

• Options
      MrBody wrote: »

Last weekend I visited the folks for mother's day, and instead of our annual start of summer Fireball Island game, we booked a live Escape the Room session that just opened up at a nearby mall (malls seem to be shifting away from shops and more into activity centers, with bowling alleys, trampolines, bouncy castles, indoor go karts).

It was fun, but it's hard to tell with the live ones if you're supposed to ransack the room for clues first or if you're supposed to follow a string of clues from the initial one. We spent the first half hour trying to get somewhere from the initial clue, but it turned out we just had to ransack and get more clues. Got rolling after that though, and finished it with 70 seconds left on the clock.
      Personal experience - you know you got a good place if they want you to branch out. I find the rooms that only have you doing one thing at once terribly dull, and can be really bad for groups since it's easy for people to straight up not be able to participate.
      Bought The Abandoned Cabin from the Exit series and played the next night. Really fun, with one of the revealed solutions eliciting a "whoooooooah!" from everyone. Although we had to call bullshit on the Moon puzzle. Will probably buy a bunch more and save them for casual nights with the folks and their friends. One caveat is I wish it was more clear on what puzzles you can solve and which you need to wait for more cards on. I think a full half of our time was wasted trying to use the "strange objects" on everything before it was possible to.

(you totally don't need to cut up and destroy your copy of Abandoned Cabin. Just have a scanner on standby when you play and print a copy of the one or two cutout parts when they come up)
      Can you spoiler tag what the moon puzzle was? It's been a while.

• Options

Personal experience - you know you got a good place if they want you to branch out. I find the rooms that only have you doing one thing at once terribly dull, and can be really bad for groups since it's easy for people to straight up not be able to participate.

"The moon rises in M-A-Y", and then the moon card has words in 4 rows with 1 line of gibberish. The word "red" can be seen within the gibberish line. We tried all sorts of stuff. Couldn't find "may" anywhere in the letters. Tried stuff with the color red. Tried the strange object "green rectangle cardboard thingie with a view hole in it" to see if the revealed letters spelled out anything.

And the solution turns out to be you had to count the total number of letter Ms, As, and Ys in the whole thing. There is not any indication of what you have to do with M-A-Y.

I brought the thing into a meetup group and watched 2 different groups play through it. None of them got the puzzle.

There was one more puzzle that was borderline, forget the symbol.
      "Take away yellow from the skull.
      Add red to the button.
      Take away blue from the ball."

The orange skull was obvious.
      The riddle card with the round purple object looked SO like a button, like a purple version of this:
      big-red-button-md.png

Since that must be the button, we were looking everywhere for a "ball".
      There was no "ball" though, and adding red to the color purple made no sense.

Eventually I stopped looking for shapes and started looking for colors. Since you were adding red to the 2nd one to get a new color, it had to be either yellow or blue. So after pouring over every picture, I found a bright yellow object. Squinting to look closer, I saw it was a sewing button.

"Oh...so then what's the 'ball'?"

It took another minute to realize that they meant this to be a ball.
      big-red-button-md.png
      It looks nothing like a ball and everything like a button
      Really the only reason to suspect it was that taking blue away from purple made sense. Without that color I never would have guessed this was meant to be a ball.

• Options
      edited May 2018
      The puzzles in the one unlock one I did were fine, my only real gripe with the system is the hidden numbers. Might not be as bad in better lighting than we were playing in.

Ah_Pook on
    • Options

"The moon rises in M-A-Y", and then the moon card has words in 4 rows with 1 line of gibberish. The word "red" can be seen within the gibberish line. We tried all sorts of stuff. Couldn't find "may" anywhere in the letters. Tried stuff with the color red. Tried the strange object "green rectangle cardboard thingie with a view hole in it" to see if the revealed letters spelled out anything.

And the solution turns out to be you had to count the total number of letter Ms, As, and Ys in the whole thing. There is not any indication of what you have to do with M-A-Y.

I brought the thing into a meetup group and watched 2 different groups play through it. None of them got the puzzle.

Add red to the button.

The riddle card with the round purple object looked SO like a button, like a purple version of this:
      big-red-button-md.png

Eventually I stopped looking for shapes and started looking for colors. Since you were adding red to the 2nd one to get a new color, it had to be either yellow or blue. So after pouring over every picture, I found a bright yellow object. Squinting to look closer, I saw it was a sewing button.

big-red-button-md.png
      Really the only reason to suspect it was that taking blue away from purple made sense. Without that color I never would have guessed this was meant to be a ball.
      Oddly, I remember neither of these as you've described them, but I think maybe we had problems on the same puzzle? The one we get held up on was
      where you had to count the number of things in the painting on the wall (Does the painting have a date in May on the plaque?), and then use that to do the little word search number thing? I only remember it so well, but I remember being disgruntled that the image of what you were supposed to circle didn't line up with how you were actually supposed to circle things, and that really fucked us up.

As far as Unlock, I've done two. The first one was pretty good (I think it was the cartoony evil lab box), and the second one put me off the series entirely (Nautilus). In particular, that rusted sign puzzle using a word I have to figure less than 1% of the population knows can go straight in the garbage can. >_>

• Options
      edited May 2018
      As far as Unlock, I've done two. The first one was pretty good (I think it was the cartoony evil lab box), and the second one put me off the series entirely (Nautilus). In particular, that rusted sign puzzle using a word I have to figure less than 1% of the population knows can go straight in the garbage can. >_>

Oh god. Speaking of that, we also got held up on the word jumble puzzle when someone came up with an obscure word instead of the actual solution.
      You were supposed to rearrange the letters to form b-a-r-c-o-d-e. My mom usually does word jumbles in the paper, so we assigned her to that one. She came up with b-r-o-c-a-d-e, which I guarantee not one man has ever heard of (it sounds like an arcade that frat guys would go to). So we spent 20 minutes with her insisting that we look over all the pictures for curtains or rolls of fabric :\

MrBody on
    • Options
      Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Add red to the button.

big-red-button-md.png

big-red-button-md.png
      Oddly, I remember neither of these as you've described them, but I think maybe we had problems on the same puzzle? The one we get held up on was
      where you had to count the number of things in the painting on the wall (Does the painting have a date in May on the plaque?), and then use that to do the little word search number thing? I only remember it so well, but I remember being disgruntled that the image of what you were supposed to circle didn't line up with how you were actually supposed to circle things, and that really fucked us up.

What was the word? I completed Nautilus, and I don't remember. I think Nautilus was supposed to be one of the difficult ones, anyway?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      I'm dusting off Roll for the Galaxy.

I hope I can present the game in a way that has players talking and engaged to prevent multiplayer solitare.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      Cantido wrote: »
      I'm dusting off Roll for the Galaxy.

I hope I can present the game in a way that has players talking and engaged to prevent multiplayer solitare.

I always felt like roll got around this because you can be looking at your opponent's setup and decide how much you want to predict and push your luck. It's not very take that but I don't think it's solitaire.

• Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      Shut Up & Sit Down has another video out. They reviewed Bargain Quest.

They need to stop this pace! I just bought 878 Vikings on their recommendation. Now they're forcing me to get this other game? How dare they!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Add red to the button.

big-red-button-md.png

big-red-button-md.png

What was the word? I completed Nautilus, and I don't remember. I think Nautilus was supposed to be one of the difficult ones, anyway?

I wish I could tell you, but I can't remember. Trust me, on numerous occasions I've tried looking it up. What I can say is
      It started with "six" and is the rhythm scheme like iambic pentameter, but revolving around six beats instead of five.

• Options

Add red to the button.

big-red-button-md.png

big-red-button-md.png

I wish I could tell you, but I can't remember. Trust me, on numerous occasions I've tried looking it up. What I can say is
      It started with "six" and is the rhythm scheme like iambic pentameter, but revolving around six beats instead of five.
      six beats instead of five is hexameter. just sayin.

• Options
      Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
      edited May 2018

Add red to the button.

big-red-button-md.png

big-red-button-md.png

Is it "sextant"? A nautical navigational tool that uses star positions? I seem to vaguely recall one of the puzzles involving that word. I thought that word was common knowledge?

EDIT: No, it's not. I just looked up a walkthrough. I have no idea where that word was, but I don't ever remember using it for anything in the beginning of the puzzle.

Reading the walkthrough, Nautilus definitely was one of the harder ones, but me and my partner managed to get through it okay. I dunno, we do a lot of escape rooms and I do a lot of word puzzles. *shrugs*

Hahnsoo1 on
      8i1dt37buh2m.png
    This discussion has been closed.