As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voice activated TV remote controls?

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
My father has a tough time using a remote control due to his tremors, but everything I can find that's voice activated requires a smart phone, and he's about as tech savvy as my cat, so I'm wondering if there's any simple alternatives? Price isn't a huge issue, as long as it works and is hopefully foolproof.

wVEsyIc.png

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I suspect it will depend on what he's trying to control with it.

Amazon FireTV has a remote with a microphone that works well. Google Chromecast + Google Home Mini has a similar effect, though I'd say the FireTV has the edge in available applications as the Chromecast mostly lets you cast from a device, though it does run Netflix from the stick. I'm sure an Amazon Echo + FireTV probably removes the need to use the remote control at all, but I can't confirm it with experience.

There are applications for devices with big screens (tablets) that allow them to become a universal remote with very big colorful buttons, the downside is that you have to find a tablet still made with an IR blaster.

FireTV

I'd say start with a FireTV and see if he can handle the button for voice control for navigating the applications. If not, perhaps add an Echo DOT.

For turning your TV on/off or adjusting volumes you may have to just buy a big-button remote control. My grandmother needed one when she was older and it worked quite well. They're inexpensive and you can just keep 2-3 around so if it gets lost, just use another.

If you're talking about managing a comcast / directv box... I have no idea, because the interface and remotes for those things are fuck awful.

Edit: Some TV's will allow you to control all the functions through a compatible HDMI device, which would mean you could turn on/off the TV using voice commands. I've never owned a TV with anything like that, in fact mine is a 14 year old DLP that I keep replacing the lamp in.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Just basic channels, it's for a normal cable box. He'll try to enter 1 and wind up hitting it like four different times, so something like the Fire or Chromecast might be overkill.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    edit: nevermind, it looks to be sort of ridiculous to use.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I don't know how much effort it takes, but we used to have a Harmony hub connected to our TV receiver and Google home, and we used it to voice command the tv to turn on and go to certain channels.

I think the roommate that set it up did some programing behind the scenes tho, so I'm not sure how workable this actually is.

I know Harmony hub also comes in a pack with a Amazon Alexa dot, so it's a real thing, but not sure how operational it is out of the box

Edit: also, smart TVs are/we're a thing. I think my 2013 Panasonic plasma has some voice recognition thing, but I never set it up. I'm sure the tech has probably gotten better since then?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    How bad are the tremors? An alternative is a jumbo remote control with extra large buttons. I'm going off the hopeful assumption that it would be easier to hit that with his tremors as opposed to a tiny button with his thumb.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    How bad are the tremors? An alternative is a jumbo remote control with extra large buttons. I'm going off the hopeful assumption that it would be easier to hit that with his tremors as opposed to a tiny button with his thumb.

Not THAT bad, it's only if his hand sits a certain way. I think larger buttons could help, but voice activated would have been amazing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I don’t know about third party remotes, but maybe check with his provider to see if they have a version of their box that comes with/works with a voice remote.

For example I have Comcast and it came with a voice remote.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I don't know how much effort it takes, but we used to have a Harmony hub connected to our TV receiver and Google home, and we used it to voice command the tv to turn on and go to certain channels.

I think the roommate that set it up did some programing behind the scenes tho, so I'm not sure how workable this actually is.

I know Harmony hub also comes in a pack with a Amazon Alexa dot, so it's a real thing, but not sure how operational it is out of the box

Edit: also, smart TVs are/we're a thing. I think my 2013 Panasonic plasma has some voice recognition thing, but I never set it up. I'm sure the tech has probably gotten better since then?

The newest Sony TVs have Alexa integration and Google Home built in.

Harmony Hub and Alexa work pretty well together. But there's a caveat. If you want to set up favorite channels, make sure to do it the first time. Adding more channels later means wiping the Alexa integration, adding the channels, and re-adding the Alexa skill. It's an enormous pain in the ass.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I don’t know about third party remotes, but maybe check with his provider to see if they have a version of their box that comes with/works with a voice remote.

For example I have Comcast and it came with a voice remote.

Good idea, but AT&T told me to go kick rocks.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    First off, BURTLE! Secondly, I was going to suggest Google home and harmony with IFTTT for voice control. There is some setup but you set it and forget it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy mentioned it - the Harmony Hub remote and an Echo Dot may work.

You'd have to program the Harmony with presets like "NBC" that turns on TV and goes to channel 120.

Harmony program is pretty good, Echo is ok.

Once setup, he can use the Echo to call out voice commands to change channels, volume, etc.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Burtletoy wrote: »

We have the Harmony +Alexa configuration at home, and it does take some backend set up, but once done, it works great. The base commands are pretty simple to learn.

Edit: A refurb Dot is about $35, or you can buy Anker's version for about the same price. Costco has the Harmony remote and Hub bundles for about $110. Setup is straightforward, but should be done by someone with experience.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Don't those require smart phones? That's what it seemed like to me.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Harmony can be set up via a PC and that's actually better, though the phone app works ok.

You would need a phone to set up the Echo, I believe. So you would have to add his Echo on your phone initially.

Not required to use, no.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Harmony can be set up via a PC and that's actually better, though the phone app works ok.

You would need a phone to set up the Echo, I believe. So you would have to add his Echo on your phone initially.

Not required to use, no.

Once configured, the system runs purely on the Echo commands. You could also get him a cheap Android tablet to use as a backup remote.

• Options
    Also, the Harmony Hub can control devices with Bluetooth remotes, like a Fire TV.

• Options
    @cj iwakura, Amazon just came out with an all in one product right up your sleeve - the Fire TV Cube. It's a Fire TV, Echo, and universal remote all in one package. You'll have to configure it using the Alexa app on your smartphone, but once done, it's standalone.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I strongly recommend doing some voice training when you first set it up for the best experience.

• Options
    @cj iwakura, Amazon just came out with an all in one product right up your sleeve - the Fire TV Cube. It's a Fire TV, Echo, and universal remote all in one package. You'll have to configure it using the Alexa app on your smartphone, but once done, it's standalone.

Seems like it's about the same price as the harmony. Shame there's no real way to see how effective it'd be for him.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    cj iwakura, Amazon just came out with an all in one product right up your sleeve - the Fire TV Cube. It's a Fire TV, Echo, and universal remote all in one package. You'll have to configure it using the Alexa app on your smartphone, but once done, it's standalone.

Seems like it's about the same price as the harmony. Shame there's no real way to see how effective it'd be for him.

From personal experience, my father picked up on the commands quick, because they're intuitive:

"Alexa, turn on the TV."
    "Alexa, turn the TV to (channel)."
    "Alexa, turn up the volume by 2."

As long as his voice is clear, Alexa will understand him,and training her will improve recognition.

• Options
    cj iwakura, Amazon just came out with an all in one product right up your sleeve - the Fire TV Cube. It's a Fire TV, Echo, and universal remote all in one package. You'll have to configure it using the Alexa app on your smartphone, but once done, it's standalone.

From personal experience, my father picked up on the commands quick, because they're intuitive:

"Alexa, turn on the TV."

As long as his voice is clear, Alexa will understand him,and training her will improve recognition.

Sounds like a plan, guess we'll give it a go when it's out. Thanks.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018

"Alexa, turn on the TV."

If you're a Prime member and pre-order by tomorrow, you can get $30 off.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options

"Alexa, turn on the TV."

If you're a Prime member and pre-order by tomorrow, you can get $40 off.

I'm not unfortunately.

wVEsyIc.png