As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Graduation [chat]

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Chemotherapy has saved a lot of lives.

It has. But damn, it is so so hard on the folks that go through it. Especially if you're older.

I can see why folks would like to try as much as possible before going through the awful shit chemo puts your body through.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Chemotherapy is still likely to continue to be extremely useful as an adjuvant therapy even with advances in medicine.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    One of his YouTube videos does have a thumbnail of Pinocchio with his long nose covered in screaming, toothy mouths, and that's pretty fucking metal, so I'll give him points for that

TTODewback wrote: »

chemo is also the second worst thing ever
    first thing is the cancer itself
    I have no doubt that in the future it will be looked upon like the shit they did during the medieval times

The stuff they did during medieval times was usually pretty worthless. A better comparison would be to some old treatment that was necessary at the time but no longer has to be done.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

I have no doubt that in the future it will be looked upon like the shit they did during the medieval times
    Yeah, many forms of chemotherapy are basically poisoning the body in the hopes of killing off the cancer first before it trashes the rest of your body. Many cancers, due to their high growth rate, are disproportionately affected by the poison compared to the rest of you. It is better than the alternative (certain death), but it is very much a "we had to burn the village to save it" paradox.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Peterson's big book, Maps of Meaning, is a grand attempt to understand how our personal and communal mythologies shape our values, and how our values motivate us more than seemingly concrete forces

That is something interesting to explore, absolutely, but his approach seems very strange and his conclusions weirdly distorted

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Oh man. I ordered some more Gay Super UnderwearTM and now my FB is occasionally graced by very buff Australian men in speedos. It's quite comical.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    When you get youtube videos of you with titles like "OUTSTANDING!! Jordan Peterson DESTROY Transgender Professor," you might be a terrible person.

Or you watch a video talking about how terrible Jordan Peterson is.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

The stuff they did during medieval times was usually pretty worthless. A better comparison would be to some old treatment that was necessary at the time but no longer has to be done.

Like full abdominal surgery for removing a gall bladder.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I just sneezed 14 times

Like the old Rabies treatment that was still around when I was a kid. Like 10 extremely painful shots injected into your abdobmen / stomach or some shit.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hello it is I your Matriarch of Darkness

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

blessed be your name

Bless your heart.
    A lot of medicine is various versions of "well, it is less likely to kill you than the problem so..."

/we should have listened

A closer analog would be using mercury to treat syphilis. It worked, if you didn't die of mercury poisoning. :-P

8i1dt37buh2m.png

Quick, boys, pull yourself up by your bootstraps to avoid her grasping tendrils

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the matriarchal world of darkness is a tabletop game i'm pretty sure

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Ha ha, it is too late! The chaos dragon is upon you now sir

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Yeah, many forms of chemotherapy are basically poisoning the body in the hopes of killing off the cancer first before it trashes the rest of your body. Many cancers, due to their high growth rate, are disproportionately affected by the poison compared to the rest of you. It is better than the alternative (certain death), but it is very much a "we had to burn the village to save it" paradox.

We’re working on it! It’s hard!

We’re
    A lot of medicine is various versions of "well, it is less likely to kill you than the problem so..."

All medicine, really. The safety standards for cancer treatment are lower than for other conditions, because of the urgency.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Or an Alex Jones book.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I meant to share to this from earlier in the week, and I’m posting it before I forget.

So, I was doing an lfg group on Monday for a Destiny raid, trying to chase some sweet new exotics drops. One guy put it together and so we were all strangers to each other, the way God intended the internet to work. Through party chat you could hear one teammate constantly dealing with some kid that was next to him throughout the early encounters. At some point, clearly annoyed, he said something a little cross at the kid. I thought “If I had a kid I would never do that. No matter the time, place, and circumstances I would be a paragon of patience, love, and understanding.” And then someone else actually opened their mouth and said something to him about it, and it was the fastest I’ve ever seen a raid team disintegrate. I wish I had the new popcorn emote handy, because not only did the dad lose it and and go at it with that guy, but two other people in chat picked sides and joined the argument.

Some would say I didn’t get loot, but the real loot is those once in a life experiences, also I got the actual loot later.

@Sir Landshark @porp @skippydumptruck @Chanus

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

You can't just put on leather and declare yourself a matriarch

pic431750.jpg

?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Oh man. I ordered some more Gay Super UnderwearTM and now my FB is occasionally graced by very buff Australian men in speedos. It's quite comical.

the gays are all about fancy underwear, apparently

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    why does a griller need white sneakers

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The thing about Peterson thats really disgusting is he's wrapped his belief system in a "self help" package to lure in impressionable young guys.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I figure I couldn’t deal with chemo, I can take a lot of pain but if I feel even a little nausea my will is just gone.

PSN: Honkalot
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've been watching Call the Midwife with Mrs. DoctorArch and now I'm thinking of all of them in a post-apocalyptic landscape where the midwives and nuns rule with an iron fist in the matriarchical world of darkness.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Ha ha, it is too late! The chaos dragon is upon you now sir
    And I for one welcome our chaos dragon overlords. As a trusted internet personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground gold caves.

A closer analog would be using mercury to treat syphilis. It worked, if you didn't die of mercury poisoning. :-P

A modern treatment for sleeping sickness has arsenic in it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melarsoprol

I can’t imagine being the guy who to pitch that to the FDA

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

If you don't know then nobody here can tell you.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the dragon of chaos is a wheel of time book

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Someone actually came out and said that our governor was gay in a...not very nice way... and not with her permission.
    Most people have already heard it before and I was kind of angry that she went populist and is hiding it..vehemently like she is sides with anti-LGBTQ stuff just to solidify her political power
    Kind of like a female George Wallace.

Anyways
    No matter how fake and terrible someone is being you shouldn't try to out them to the world like that

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Yeah everyone has to play as Circle of the Crone

Could be fun

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    One guy at work periodically buys those right wing EXPLAIN IT ALL books. I saw Peterson’s book on his desk for a while.

Oh dear, I thought. Oh well.

VishNub wrote: »

We’re working on it! It’s hard!

We’re

All medicine, really. The safety standards for cancer treatment are lower than for other conditions, because of the urgency.
    This. Or, in many cases, a lack of any treatment protocol that works as effectively as, say, R-CHOP for lymphoma.

The immunotherapy stuff is pretty promising! The side effects are big, of course, but it is very much in the "potential cure" realm. It's what Jimmy Carter received for his cancer (in addition to radiation, surgery, and other chemo, of course), and he's in remission.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Someone actually came out and said that our governor was gay in a...not very nice way... and not with her permission.
    Most people have already heard it before and I was kind of angry that she went populist and is hiding it..vehemently like she is sides with anti-LGBTQ stuff just to solidify her political power
    Kind of like a female George Wallace.

Anyways
    No matter how fake and terrible someone is being you shouldn't try to out them to the world like that

I saw that and was like "oh boy, this is going to create another big debate on whether it is ok for LGBT people to out LGBT people who are actively harming other LGBT people."

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2018

It’s just a dad thing ime. White sneakers, white socks, maybe some jorts. The prototypical dad griller

Organichu on
    I did hear a recent talk about a really cool discovery relating to a way many cancer types use to become resistant to therapy. The cool part was that in they state they become susceptible to a different set of existing therapeutics. So you would treat normally, then dose a second set of compounds once the cancer had gone into a dormant/resistant state.

This discussion has been closed.