As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graduation [chat]

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    someone told jordan peterson about the Hero's Journey and it ruined him forever

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh man. I couldn't help it. I went to the Peterson subreddit.

Already I have seen dozens of posts about other people being "ideologically possessed," making people feel special in their immunity to such possession

Wow

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    ok so LoL's competitive mode where you can play in an organized tournament with people of ~your skill level every two weeks is now out

I want nothing more in my life than to play in this tournament even just once a month, not necessarily every other week

I do not think I can gather 4 other people of approximately my skill level who have the free time to do this regularly at the appointed times :( Am I going to have to find randos to play with...? Probably not worth it...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Couscous wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Someone actually came out and said that our governor was gay in a...not very nice way... and not with her permission.
    Most people have already heard it before and I was kind of angry that she went populist and is hiding it..vehemently like she is sides with anti-LGBTQ stuff just to solidify her political power
    Kind of like a female George Wallace.

Anyways
    No matter how fake and terrible someone is being you shouldn't try to out them to the world like that

I saw that and was like "oh boy, this is going to create another big debate on whether it is ok for LGBT people to out LGBT people who are actively harming other LGBT people."

It's always been a secret-but-not-secret type thing I think
    Lots of people who go to our more contemporary establishments had seen her out before she became governor.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Already I have seen dozens of posts about other people being "ideologically possessed," making people feel special in their immunity to such possession

Wow
    Please don’t infect us here. Let that sickness remain elsewhere.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Also Jesus Christ that diagram is stupid

• Options
    Portentous Capitalization

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is ideological possession like being possessed by the spirit of capitalism"?

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    ok so LoL's competitive mode where you can play in an organized tournament with people of ~your skill level every two weeks is now out

I want nothing more in my life than to play in this tournament even just once a month, not necessarily every other week

I do not think I can gather 4 other people of approximately my skill level who have the free time to do this regularly at the appointed times :( Am I going to have to find randos to play with...? Probably not worth it...

Play doto! We have battle cup every Saturday!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    One guy at work periodically buys those right wing EXPLAIN IT ALL books. I saw Peterson’s book on his desk for a while.

Oh dear, I thought. Oh well.
    My construction trailer has a distressing number of libertarians...who work as govt contractors. The irony is palatable.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Wow

I AM A BEING OF PURE FACTS.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    someone told jordan peterson about the Hero's Journey and it ruined him forever

He can't get hard unless you refer to it as Bildungsroman

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    He also seems be really into Jungian archetypes, which, lol?

Actual diagram from his book:

k1s5k8hjdbrk.png

Pfsssh, it's like a shitty knockoff version of the gloriously elaborate yet also elegantly simple Krosmoz model.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I AM A BEING OF PURE FARTS

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Chemotherapy has saved a lot of lives.

chemo is also the second worst thing ever
    first thing is the cancer itself
    I have no doubt that in the future it will be looked upon like the shit they did during the medieval times
    Yeah, many forms of chemotherapy are basically poisoning the body in the hopes of killing off the cancer first before it trashes the rest of your body. Many cancers, due to their high growth rate, are disproportionately affected by the poison compared to the rest of you. It is better than the alternative (certain death), but it is very much a "we had to burn the village to save it" paradox.

We’re working on it! It’s hard!

We’re
    A lot of medicine is various versions of "well, it is less likely to kill you than the problem so..."

All medicine, really. The safety standards for cancer treatment are lower than for other conditions, because of the urgency.
    This. Or, in many cases, a lack of any treatment protocol that works as effectively as, say, R-CHOP for lymphoma.

The immunotherapy stuff is pretty promising! The side effects are big, of course, but it is very much in the "potential cure" realm. It's what Jimmy Carter received for his cancer (in addition to radiation, surgery, and other chemo, of course), and he's in remission.

I had to look that up, but one of the components is daunorubicin, which has the lovely nickname “red death” (the compound is red).

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Okay let's talk about something else:

I started the Three Body Problem recently and I quite like it, though it's very clearly a translation based on some of the stiff phrasing

I imagine the translation was very challenging

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Now that I know what everyone is talking about, I would like to submit the following as proof of my ascension to the divine: I hear laurel AND yanny at the same time

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Ah, fellow kin at last.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Sleep gets it.

• Options
    why is the three body problem supposed to be hard

pig farm, bro

• Options

It would take me probably 2-3 years to be as good at DotA as I am at league--if I stopped playing League and only played DotA. I'm in wayyy too deep to switch mobas. Plus--do you have a 4-man group looking for me as the 5th player? Cause then I'd still have the problem of not actually having a team. Although I know at least 4 other people who would be good for a team, they are too busy to commit to this much time this frequently!

• Options

I started the Three Body Problem recently and I quite like it, though it's very clearly a translation based on some of the stiff phrasing

I'm sitting on the third book--I carried it around for a couple of days and didn't start reading it. I'm not sure why; I think I need to wait until I'm in the right mood.

I found the first and second book very emotionally affecting and think they do a wonderful job of creating believable physicist characters and extremely compelling plot. The translated phrasing was quite interesting to me--it gives the books a weird sense of distance and alienation that suits the overall feel.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I always read books in original language.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

It would take me probably 2-3 years to be as good at DotA as I am at league--if I stopped playing League and only played DotA. I'm in wayyy too deep to switch mobas. Plus--do you have a 4-man group looking for me as the 5th player? Cause then I'd still have the problem of not actually having a team. Although I know at least 4 other people who would be good for a team, they are too busy to commit to this much time this frequently!

Yeah I was mostly kidding. It will fill or pair groups up to make five though. I play solo, so ... shrug.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Someone actually came out and said that our governor was gay in a...not very nice way... and not with her permission.
    Most people have already heard it before and I was kind of angry that she went populist and is hiding it..vehemently like she is sides with anti-LGBTQ stuff just to solidify her political power
    Kind of like a female George Wallace.

Anyways
    No matter how fake and terrible someone is being you shouldn't try to out them to the world like that

I've often heard the argument from other gays that you lose the right to privacy about your sexuality when you make the lives of lgbtq people worse and I think I agree with it

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    10k6id3azxgf.png

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

you have my support/mediocre jungle

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Wow

The only person immune to ideological possession is me, and that's because i'm already possessed by like, half a dozen ghosts

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    welp person next door just died while the receptionist was on her break so she witnessed the whole thing unfold in front of her

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote: »
    welp person next door just died while the receptionist was on her break so she witnessed the whole thing unfold in front of her

Umm

• Options

Was this a hospital work kinda death or a grisly murder kinda death

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

IW spoiler?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

jesus

• Options
    Did she kill them?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Did she kill them?

neco pls

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Did she kill them?

And Bowen posted about it so his phone and browser history is now states evidence.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Story gets worse, apparently he was going to Olive Garden later.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Did she kill them?

neco pls do not interfere with the investigation

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Did she kill them?

neco pls