As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Today's Regimental Standard has vital information to keep your noble brave reliable still moving ground pounding Imperial Guard from offending or impeding the war efforts of your Noble Imperial Knight reinforcements.

Among this useful information: Wear brightly colored armor to remove minimize lessen moderately reduce the likelihood of being stepped on. Don't worry about attracting enemy attention in your brightly colored flak vests though, as the 40 foot tall war machine to your left is already doing that.

Edit: Because I was so excited by giant robots I copied the wrong link. It should not have been pointing to https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Scions-of-Mars-2017?utm_source=Warhammer+Community&utm_medium=Post

see317 on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The previewed Harlequin rules are so crazy. And then you think about Dark Eldar and Eldar nonsense and they can all be taken in one army... Looking grim for Imperial forces.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    The previewed Harlequin rules are so crazy. And then you think about Dark Eldar and Eldar nonsense and they can all be taken in one army... Looking grim for Imperial forces.

Hopefully it's not a handout or a refernce to the other codexes

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I'm just reading through the Deathwatch codex now, and they sure are fighting the Hrud a lot. Has there ever been any mention of the Hrud having weird time powers before? They're now "chronophages" and hyper-age an entire IG regiment and a bunch of marines.

@McGibs

I've been reading so much 40k stuff lately I might have the citation wrong, but I'm sure it's the Perturabo Primarchs novel that features chronophage hrud.

Light spoilers ahead...
    One of the plotlines is an Iron Warrior company trying to hold a world that's in the way of a Hrud migration and they basically timeshift/decay everything. One of the featured characters is Barabas Dantioch, who in the horus heresy novels is a loyalist Iron Warrior. His motivations for sticking with the good guys stem heavily from his treatment after the debacle that was trying to hold a fortress/world that's literally decaying to dust around him and his company.

The Hrud encounter is also why he's so old, damaged, decrepit for a space marine.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Just wrapped up Sons of the Hydra.

It was ok... I love anything Alpha Legion, but there's something about Rob Sanders writing that just doesn't draw me in as well as some of the other BL authors.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    What would be a fitting warlord for a Khrone demon army?
    I use the Azazel I got an epoch ago and have no idea why for a Slaanesh army but I just don't know what would be a fitting warlord look for Khrone?

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Just wrapped up Sons of the Hydra.

It was ok... I love anything Alpha Legion, but there's something about Rob Sanders writing that just doesn't draw me in as well as some of the other BL authors.

I really enjoyed Legion of the Damned. Capt. Kersh is on my list of future conversion projects.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What would be a fitting warlord for a Khrone demon army?
    I use the Azazel I got an epoch ago and have no idea why for a Slaanesh army but I just don't know what would be a fitting warlord look for Khrone?

Bloodthirster, Scyla Anfingrimm, plastic Deamon Prince, Soul Grinder, Skullmaster, Bloodmaster, Skulltaker, and Valkia the Bloody wood make good starting points for HQ models, I think.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    In the deathwatch codex one story is a planet they Hrud show up on due to a large amount of stasis vaults. They basically wipe out all the guard that are sent in by their age aura shenanigans in hours. What ends up happening is they send in 8 dreadnoughts who collapse the tunnel system on the Hrud but when the sarcophagi are found the marines in the dreads are all turned to dust. Its a pretty neat story.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Weird rules question.

I have a model that is measured from the base or hull, whichever is closer. It's facing perpendicular to the way I'm moving it. When I move it, can I also turn it, and in essence get extra distance (i.e. movement is done on the base?) or turning it counts as part of the movement, i.e., if it sticks out from the base, the hull counts as the move?

I am thinking the latter, but....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Weird rules question.

I have a model that is measured from the base or hull, whichever is closer. It's facing perpendicular to the way I'm moving it. When I move it, can I also turn it, and in essence get extra distance (i.e. movement is done on the base?) or turning it counts as part of the movement, i.e., if it sticks out from the base, the hull counts as the move?

I am thinking the latter, but....

"A model can be moved in any direction, to a distance, in inches, equal to or less than the Move characteristic on its datasheet. No part of the model’s base (or hull) can move further than this."

So you can never get extra movement from turning a model.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I would play the hell out of a Hrud army. That includes both the cloak swathed skavenesque troopers and the big squicky things with the claws. (Just google them)

Well i am still curious what is in that rouge trader game since it vaguely nurgle the hrud would be different in a board game

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Just picked up the Deathwatch Start Collecting Set

I love how customizable all of the Deathwatch models are. SO MANY BITS

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    On a related note, anyone have thoughts/experience on how to kit out veteran squads?

I'm thinking of speccing the one I have in melee with power axes, swords, and a few chainswords, with stalker bolt rifles, as I would like to pick up a corvus one day

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    On a related note, anyone have thoughts/experience on how to kit out veteran squads?

I'm thinking of speccing the one I have in melee with power axes, swords, and a few chainswords, with stalker bolt rifles, as I would like to pick up a corvus one day

I think the real strength of DW is the special ammo. Heavy thunderhammers though getting 6 damage on a good roll is good though. Problem is they are still marines. Normal ones. 1 w, 4 strength, with 2 attacks and a 3+ save. Its a good but not a great stat line. Same reason you don't see a lot of chosen in chaos. But there are also zerkers which are 5S and 4 attacks with a chain axe in a single turn.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Yeaaah that's my main concern. I may just go all out with stalkers and chainswords for everyone, to keep costs down.

And then maybe pick up a separate unit of rievers

Primaris squads look dope as hell, having ablative intercessors for a set of aggressors seems gooooood

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    Yeaaah that's my main concern. I may just go all out with stalkers and chainswords for everyone, to keep costs down.

And then maybe pick up a separate unit of rievers

Primaris squads look dope as hell, having ablative intercessors for a set of aggressors seems gooooood

I had like 2-3 Primaris designs.

Run and Gun-
    5 Intercessors, 1 Inceptor, 1 Aggressor, 3 Hellblasters all assault versions of their guns. Run the board all you want. You have no -1 to hit. Moving an average of 9" a turn. Pretty decent.

The backline:
    5 Intercessors, 1 Inceptor, 4 Hellblasters- Stays back and shoots. the Inceptor let's you fall back and shoot when they get charged.

The deepstrike-
    5 Intercessors, 3 aggressors, 2 inceptors. Drop at your opponents 9" line with the deepstrike stratagem. Pick off something important with vengeance rounds+the +1 to wound stratagem.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I generally like nights at the game table bat reps but this one was kind of uncomfortable. That kind of trash talk even among friends would feel pretty rude.

This video did make me want to get tomb blades real bad though.

https://youtu.be/DHBzXRTv4vM

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I got a bunch of Deathwatch stuff, but decided I didn't want to build a Deathwatch army so I just added the stuff to my regular Space Marine army instead. This means I now have four Deathwatch upgrade sprues (three complete, and one missing three bits) that I have no use for and no one in my meta is building Deathwatch.

I think that if I'm going to be building a small force of black power armor wearing models that will be used as an ally for my standard Space Marine army I'll just keep building Legion of the Damned. I only have six of them right now, but the plan is to build a full ten man squad and then wait around hoping that GW gives them a Captain (or something) at some point if the rumored 8th Edition Agents of the Imperium catch-all Codex ever releases. They aren't super great on the table (they're very expensive for what they offer), but I love their lore and a 3++ comes in handy a lot.

I have some legion of the dammed and a squad of death watch {not the overkill game ones} from an epoch ago
    I just don't know where

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Heck I’d buy those upgrade sprues from you @SmokeStacks I got the space marine bug all of a sudden with this new book.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have some legion of the dammed and a squad of death watch {not the overkill game ones} from an epoch ago
    I just don't know where

Deathwatch have way more options, but LotD gets you major style points. The fact that DW can take three heavy weapons in a five man Terminator squad is pretty bonkers to me. If I had decided to build them I would be tempted to just run a million MSU Terminator squads with triple Assault Cannons.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Having glanced through the Deathwatch book it kind of looks like it's head and shoulders above the main Space Marine Codex.

Like, aside from paint scheme issues and maybe Gulliman I'm not sure why you'd want to run the vanilla Codex at this point.

Burnage wrote: »
    Having glanced through the Deathwatch book it kind of looks like it's head and shoulders above the main Space Marine Codex.

Like, aside from paint scheme issues and maybe Gulliman I'm not sure why you'd want to run the vanilla Codex at this point.

Scouts and scout bikers. Deathwatch have no real chaff so you have to bring guard or your 18-21 point marines are eating smites for days.

u7stthr17eud.png
    The cards I see players using in batreps to determine deployment/objectives/twists.

Is that the Maelstrom deck?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    The cards I see players using in batreps to determine deployment/objectives/twists.

Open play cards.

Maelstrom are objectives used with maelstrom missions.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Right off to compete in the London GT, wish me luck guys.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Remember all of your battles in detail so you can let us know! :).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

That's the Open War deck, and I kind of love it. It really mixes up the way the game plays in some neat, refreshing ways.

Yea it's kinda crazy, IMO they've got the best Space Marine rules in the game at the moment, especially for Primaris marines... but they're still far from actually being considered strong.

At the end of the day they're still leaning heavily on an IG Battalion crutch and no one reads this codex and anticipates them dominating any tournaments. They'll hopefully be ok in an Imperial soup list, like Custodes, and that's all anyone can expect.

Good luck! I was considering going but desperately need to save for a wedding, there's always next year!

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Yea it's kinda crazy, IMO they've got the best Space Marine rules in the game at the moment, especially for Primaris marines... but they're still far from actually being considered strong.

It comes down to the fact that while the models have some really great options, you are paying a premium for them, and ultimately, they're still just marines, doesn't it? The same thing that can put down a vanilla marine can put down his death watch equivalent just as easily.

It comes down to the fact that while the models have some really great options, you are paying a premium for them, and ultimately, they're still just marines, doesn't it? The same thing that can put down a vanilla marine can put down his death watch equivalent just as easily.

Are you paying a premium for them? The Primaris stuff in the Deathwatch book looked like it had the same points cost as in the Space Marine book, but I'm not a Marine player so my impression might have been wrong.

Are you paying a premium for them? The Primaris stuff in the Deathwatch book looked like it had the same points cost as in the Space Marine book, but I'm not a Marine player so my impression might have been wrong.

The weapons cost more, base SM the bolter is free, in Codex Deathwatch the Primaris model is the same cost but he pays 1 point for his bolt rifle and 1 point for his bolt pistol, so it's 18 points vs. 20 points.

Boltguns and pistols do not come free for deathwatch. Certain weapons also cost more (due to the ammo)

This is somewhat offset by the fact that you can shove models with good loadouts in with models to help tank damage. If you stick a terminator in your killteam you are also immune to morale (but have to pay for a terminator)

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Also the points you pay for your bolt weapons is made up for the fact you have the special ammo rules. Which let us not lie, kind of amazing.

Primaris intercessors come out the best with this. As they have 3 excellent choices.

30" bolt guns that wound 2+ with -1 ap.
    36" bolt guns that have -2 ap.
    24" bolt guns that have -3 ap.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Yeah, plus you can do silly things like put an aggressor in your group of intercessors, kit out all of your intercessors with auto or stalker bolt rifles, and now they can ignore the hit penalties for their weapons

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also the points you pay for your bolt weapons is made up for the fact you have the special ammo rules. Which let us not lie, kind of amazing.

Primaris intercessors come out the best with this. As they have 3 excellent choices.

2+ to wound with -1 ap comes out on top against all targets unless you wound them on threes, in which case you can spend AP to wound them on twos -3

Deathwatch primaris are pretty good (for marines)

Mazzyx wrote: »

2+ to wound with -1 ap comes out on top against all targets unless you wound them on threes, in which case you can spend AP to wound them on twos -3

Deathwatch primaris are pretty good (for marines)

Again, based on target as that 2+ is non-vehicles only but again the best verse a majority of targets most of the time.

u7stthr17eud.png