As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The first Season of Carter is pretty uneven both I quality and tone, one of the episodes was so bad we almost stopped watching - the second season is more consistent in everything it does and vastly better for it but does not stick the landing.

The character and acting are wonderful. I love each and everyone of them.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    5x22 clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofPRtA1ikYU
    Is it just me or is this the scene which leads to Daisy walking off the ramp that was the last seen footage before the world blew up?

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Bogart wrote: »
    I liked Agent Carter a lot, but the things about both seasons that have stayed with me are the characters, not the stories.

This right here. I really wanted to love the show, but there were parts of it that were just plain not good, especially the second season. The actors and the characters, however, were bright spots.

Inquisitor77 on
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I think Carter was an excellent representation of Pulp Comic books put on screen. From the colors, to the acting, the story lines, and cinematography even evokes a lot of 40s pulp. I liked it a lot.

I feel like if someone would have thrown a proper budget at it, it would have been spectacular. As it was, i found it to be charming and wonderful, but not quite as good as it wanted to be.

Besides, Carter is the original MCU badass female. Get in line Widow.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I think Carter was an excellent representation of Pulp Comic books put on screen. From the colors, to the acting, the story lines, and cinematography even evokes a lot of 40s pulp. I liked it a lot.

I feel like if someone would have thrown a proper budget at it, it would have been spectacular. As it was, i found it to be charming and wonderful, but not quite as good as it wanted to be.

Besides, Dottie is the original MCU badass female. Get in line Widow.

FTFY

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Any excuse to post this again:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8Uuv_pfs4

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    5x22 clip

Is it just me or is this the scene which leads to Daisy walking off the ramp that was the last seen footage before the world blew up?
    Yuuuuuuuuup :(
    Or at least that's what it's trying to trick you into thinking.

Lorek on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    5x22 clip

Yuuuuuuuuup :(
    Or at least that's what it's trying to trick you into thinking.
    Didn't she have a gun in that footage?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    You know...
    I typically love a good 'almost closed loop time paradox' story. But something about this season just has me screaming at the TV at how stupid the writing is. They KNOW enough about the timeline to know that to break it, all they need to do is NOT have Daisy involved. Okay, you don't want to leave her in the future...fine. But Goddamn, have her go take a nap in a Holiday inn for a few weeks, not make her front and center of the entire operation so she HAS to be involved. All they need to stop this is for ONE thing to change.

Most time loop stories are great because you don't know how (or in some cases you didnt even know it was a loop in the first place) something gets rectified until the big reveal and you talk about how cleverly it was done. By revealing it was one from early on, yet seemingly not doing anything about it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth about this entire season. It had some great points..like the Fitz turning dark sub plotline...but its so overshadowed by how stupid they are acting. (Mac in particular...YoYo is the only one that seems to give a shit about the earth cracking like an egg). It's also kinda hard to write a pacifistic character that likes to walk around with a shotgun that has an axe tied to the front. What do you think Axes are more humane? That they never cause death? I honestly can't wait for this season to end and to move on to something else.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »
    You know...
    I typically love a good 'almost closed loop time paradox' story. But something about this season just has me screaming at the TV at how stupid the writing is. They KNOW enough about the timeline to know that to break it, all they need to do is NOT have Daisy involved. Okay, you don't want to leave her in the future...fine. But Goddamn, have her go take a nap in a Holiday inn for a few weeks, not make her front and center of the entire operation so she HAS to be involved. All they need to stop this is for ONE thing to change.
    Except the people in the future might be operating on bad information. They don't know if Daisy is actually responsible or even involved.

I'm guessing after Kasius heard the "I'm the destroyer of worlds" bit he just made the assumption after Earth went blooey.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    No but they know she was there from the video footage. Doesn't make any difference if the cataclysm was actually her fault, I think azith28's point is just that it should be pretty easy to change something given what they know.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    You know...

Most time loop stories are great because you don't know how (or in some cases you didnt even know it was a loop in the first place) something gets rectified until the big reveal and you talk about how cleverly it was done. By revealing it was one from early on, yet seemingly not doing anything about it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth about this entire season. It had some great points..like the Fitz turning dark sub plotline...but its so overshadowed by how stupid they are acting. (Mac in particular...YoYo is the only one that seems to give a shit about the earth cracking like an egg). It's also kinda hard to write a pacifistic character that likes to walk around with a shotgun that has an axe tied to the front. What do you think Axes are more humane? That they never cause death? I honestly can't wait for this season to end and to move on to something else.
    No, all they know is she was there and the world blew up. Daisy herself knows she's not powerful enough to do that on her own. So if she doesn't cause it, it means she was trying to stop it. Which means it doesn't matter if she's in Tahiti, it's still gonna happen.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah but
    What usually happens with these kind of stories is that in trying to prevent the future they've seen, they wind up causing it.

Like FitzSimmons going off trying to destroy that infusion chamber thingy.

Sending Daisy away could be a key step in getting her to that final confrontation.

Mvrck wrote: »
    You know...

No, all they know is she was there and the world blew up. Daisy herself knows she's not powerful enough to do that on her own. So if she doesn't cause it, it means she was trying to stop it. Which means it doesn't matter if she's in Tahiti, it's still gonna happen.

I'm talking about what YoYo heard from herself, and the footage they saw showed her obviously being involved. and its obviously a true statement that if they had decided to act like the fugatives they currently are for a whole 2 days after they returned, maybe pass the information on to someone coulson still trusted when the first event happen, that they would have broken the time loop.

Same with so many things where obviously simple things would have caused a butterfly effect down the line. They knew that May, Yoyo and the Fitzsimmons were inside the Lighthouse when the earth was cracked. Which means ANY deviation would have broken the loop. Leaving one of them outside the freaking lighthouse and sealing the door behind them would have broken the loop even if everything else they did still happen.

edited May 2018
    You know...

I'm talking about what YoYo heard from herself, and the footage they saw showed her obviously being involved. and its obviously a true statement that if they had decided to act like the fugatives they currently are for a whole 2 days after they returned, maybe pass the information on to someone coulson still trusted when the first event happen, that they would have broken the time loop.

Same with so many things where obviously simple things would have caused a butterfly effect down the line. They knew that May, Yoyo and the Fitzsimmons were inside the Lighthouse when the earth was cracked. Which means ANY deviation would have broken the loop. Leaving one of them outside the freaking lighthouse and sealing the door behind them would have broken the loop even if everything else they did still happen.

Breaking the loop doesn't mean the world gets saved though. They don't care about the loop, the loop itself is pointless. They care about Earth getted blowed up. (That was a typo but I'm keeping it). If they futz with things they could have the opposite effect and actually make it more difficult to save the world. Additionally, they HAVE tried do things to try and save the Earth (destroying Strucker's machine, killing Ruby) but it didn't take.

Undead Scottsman on
    You know...

Breaking the loop doesn't mean the world gets saved though. They don't care about the loop, the loop itself is pointless. They care about Earth getted blowed up. (That was a typo but I'm keeping it). If they futz with things they could have the opposite effect and actually make it more difficult to save the world. Additionally, they HAVE tried do things to try and save the Earth (destroying Strucker's machine, killing Ruby) but it didn't take.

When you know for sure that the loop leads to the distruction of the planet, Your first action should be to break out of it at at least give yourself a chance to change the future.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You know...

When you know for sure that the loop leads to the distruction of the planet, Your first action should be to break out of it at at least give yourself a chance to change the future.

Actually, what you should be doing is allowing the loop to continue until you figure out a foolproof way of preventing the catastrophe from happening. Or you risk breaking the loop and allowing the catastrophe to occur anyway with no way to fix the problem.

And then there are open questions about how far along the timeline you need to go in order to ensure that something else terrible doesn't happen instead.

Basically time travel opens up all kinds of weird problems that are fundamentally unsolvable without perfect knowledge, even if you take for granted that the fundamental paradox of time travel is not an issue.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I still believe that Fitz was right. You can't break the loop, at least not with normal methods. They are going to have to go multidimensional, or get Time Stone help.

edited May 2018
    Honestly, if I knew I was in a time loop, the first thing I'd do would be to write down everything that happened onto something that will last 79 years and stick it in that gravitonium compartment on the Zephyr so Fitzsimmons finds it.

Undead Scottsman on
    You know...

Actually, what you should be doing is allowing the loop to continue until you figure out a foolproof way of preventing the catastrophe from happening. Or you risk breaking the loop and allowing the catastrophe to occur anyway with no way to fix the problem.

And then there are open questions about how far along the timeline you need to go in order to ensure that something else terrible doesn't happen instead.

Basically time travel opens up all kinds of weird problems that are fundamentally unsolvable without perfect knowledge, even if you take for granted that the fundamental paradox of time travel is not an issue.

So you would put all your eggs into the one basket at the very endpoint of the earth shattering hoping you got everything right that one attempt?

Why not break the loop early on to make sure its even possible, THEN apply your plan later to save the planet.

If you break the loop you cannot go back in time to try again.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    One thing I don't understand (or is bad writing)...
    Remind me again on why they brought the infusion chamber/pod back to the Lighthouse? Shouldn't they have either destroyed it or dropped it into the ocean or something? I know they were trying (or planning) on sending the gravitonium into the sun, so why hold on to the pod? It seems like it was just a disaster waiting to happen.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand (or is bad writing)...
    Remind me again on why they brought the infusion chamber/pod back to the Lighthouse? Shouldn't they have either destroyed it or dropped it into the ocean or something? I know they were trying (or planning) on sending the gravitonium into the sun, so why hold on to the pod? It seems like it was just a disaster waiting to happen.
    Somebody should have taken a hammer to it, absolutely. I imagine they felt it no longer posed a threat since it was now in their posession, and they had more important things to do with disposing of the gravitonium before a bunch of aliens showed up.

Well neither can they. this is a closed loop right now that ALWAYS yields a failure result. unless they break it, they can never succeed. When they die they die once, they had one chance to fix it, yet were so stupid with how they used the knowledge (by duplicating it exactly and not asking the right questions when they had the chance to obtain information) that they are destined to fail again unless something breaks it.

Well neither can they. this is a closed loop right now that ALWAYS yields a failure result. unless they break it, they can never succeed. When they die they die once, they had one chance to fix it, yet were so stupid with how they used the knowledge (by duplicating it exactly and not asking the right questions when they had the chance to obtain information) that they are destined to fail again unless something breaks it.

Yes but you are conflating breaking the loop with saving the world. They are two different things that aren't perfectly correlated. There exists the possibility that you can break the loop but the world dies in the process. Just like there's the possibility that you can save the world but maintain the loop.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wow
    Good thing they had an extra Fitz on ice.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »
    Wow
    Good thing they had an extra Fitz on ice.
    Dwoops, read that spoiler before I saw the episode. Ah well.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)
    Dissolved. Which I'm okay with because Infinity War did a damn number on my brain and made watching the entire wrap up incredibly stressful because I was convinced it was going to happen any second now.

Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)
    Dissolved. Which I'm okay with because Infinity War did a damn number on my brain and made watching the entire wrap up incredibly stressful because I was convinced it was going to happen any second now.
    There wouldn't have been much of a point to it; they'd be gone and then back again at the start of next season.

Wonder where they're going to go with Season 6; will they start having rescued Fitz and Coulson dead? Or are they going spend the season finding a way to save him.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)
    There wouldn't have been much of a point to it; they'd be gone and then back again at the start of next season.

Wonder where they're going to go with Season 6; will they start having rescued Fitz and Coulson dead? Or are they going spend the season finding a way to save him.

The implication was
    that coulson had days left to live and had made his peace; kind of hard to make a season out of that.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I sure hope Deke didn't pop out of existence. He and Daisy would make a cute couple, unlike that charisma void Lincoln.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)

The implication was
    that coulson had days left to live and had made his peace; kind of hard to make a season out of that.
    And kind of beyond that, this might have also been May's way out, with both of them replaced by Piper and Davis.

I really want to see what the "we were cancelled" ending was.

sig.gif
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The entire episode I'm all "I'm not crying, you're crying!"

This would have been a perfect series finale.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The best thing in the entire episode, possibly the entire season:
    (a couple of times)

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)

The implication was
    And kind of beyond that, this might have also been May's way out, with both of them replaced by Piper and Davis.

This is that. They didn't know if they'd get renewed, so they wrote this to work as a series finale.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)

The implication was

Speaking of Piper and Davis I loved how Davis is apparently some sort of low rank badass. There were at least two times this season where we come in on the end of him telling (and someone else corroborating) a story that makes people who've been hanging out with the SHIELD crew go for several seasons go "that is some crazy shit".

steam_sig.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)

The implication was

This is that. They didn't know if they'd get renewed, so they wrote this to work as a series finale.
    I thought there was an alternate ending iteration if they hadn't gotten picked up? Guess not.

sig.gif
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    They really misjudged the reaction to Mack.
    He's their moral compass? Can't have morals without Jesus.
    Everything else was pretty great.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    I think I missed something...
    Is Fitz dead? Or did they recover his body and put it into that stasis pod in the hopes that they can cure being disemboweled and crushed by rocks in the future?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    I think I missed something...
    Is Fitz dead? Or did they recover his body and put it into that stasis pod in the hopes that they can cure being disemboweled and crushed by rocks in the future?
    fitz from the future died. That fitz put himself into cryo and launched into space in the past. That fitz is still alive and well, and they are going to to fetch him.

Time travel is weird

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...