As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Graduation [chat]

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i just noticed the deadpool 2 tagline is "From the studio that killed Wolverine" and i am ded

are you Wolverine?

That would explain your long life.

if i told you i'd have to register my status with the government

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    heh I really love some parts of my job; just internally sold my new bid/program plan

just me talking casually for like 30 minutes without stopping except to answer a few questions, also making some good shit up on the fly when I realized I left some slide half-done

It’s genuinely enjoyable and I wish I could do it a lot more

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Old scientists often ask at roundtables how the youth are dealing with the job crisis in science and what we plan to do (this is after they literally ruined everything for thirty years so oh how considerate that you hold all the power and are "worried"). I said something like, well I've had lots of different jobs so if I don't get into an academic position it won't be the end of the world. I've been a baker, a retail person, maybe I would start my own bakery. I was very positive about it. Everyone laughed like it was the cutest idea!

I guess a lot of people vying for the academic track cannot ever conceive of anything but becoming an academic and balk at having a real job? I dunno.

I think even in the face of... everything, there is a large group of people who see being an adjunct making $25,000/year until you die of an infection on your no insurance as just obviously better than not working in academia.

Part of it is I am pretty sure just willful blindness to the opportunity costs associated with credentialing.

Being an academic, for many in the sector, is an intrinsic part of their identity. Losing that, even voluntarily, feels like failing.

I am super guilty of this. I've been doing consistent 60-80 hour weeks during this term and the idea of leaving seems unspeakable to me.

Welcome to the late capitalist knowledge economy. You're a company man

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I know nothing about academia

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I can’t imagine mechanically there would be any problem mounting a tv or projector any which way. The tv will have no moving parts at all, projector would have some but probably not something that would care. At least if the make quality is any good.

Displays can take a lot of beating and bending it’s probably just the surface layer (plastic) scratching that would be the most at risk.

PSN: Honkalot
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

it's basically high school all over again from my understanding

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess I could have gone into academia, but at my age the question is

academic

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

It's a good anime, chu

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Charge people tens of thousands of dollars for a degree that makes them unhireable

And then hire them at poverty wages to teach the next generation of people looking for worthless degrees

It's a foolproof plan

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    when i worked in a warehouse we never laid the tvs flat

just kidding we threw them at great force from tractor trailer all the way to shelves and then also into peoples cars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGclMfaRH4Y

Feral wrote: »
    Charge people tens of thousands of dollars for a degree that makes them unhireable

And then hire them at poverty wages to teach the next generation of people looking for worthless degrees

It's a foolproof plan

tbf, in sciences usually you get paid to do the PhD, not charged
    and it makes you somewhat more hireable/likely to receive a better salary with a lower skillset

Honk wrote: »
    I can’t imagine mechanically there would be any problem mounting a tv or projector any which way. The tv will have no moving parts at all, projector would have some but probably not something that would care. At least if the make quality is any good.

Displays can take a lot of beating and bending it’s probably just the surface layer (plastic) scratching that would be the most at risk.

i imagine one could build a table to mount a tv pretty easily and cheaply

Honk wrote: »

i imagine one could build a table to mount a tv pretty easily and cheaply

And funly!

It sounds like a fun project

I still have plans to make a concrete and wood coffee table this summer.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    when i worked in a warehouse we never laid the tvs flat

just kidding we threw them at great force from tractor trailer all the way to shelves and then also into peoples cars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGclMfaRH4Y

Yes. There was that hobbit cartoon.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    heh I really love some parts of my job; just internally sold my new bid/program plan

just me talking casually for like 30 minutes without stopping except to answer a few questions, also making some good shit up on the fly when I realized I left some slide half-done

Cred I feel like you should work for Tony Stark

i keep saying i want to build things and then i just play video games

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

It's a foolproof plan

and it makes you somewhat more hireable/likely to receive a better salary with a lower skillset

Oh, true.

I told girlfriend (who has a master's in public policy) that some science majors get paid a stipend for grad school and she literally didn't believe me. I had to show her articles to prove it to her.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Watching an old Top of the Pops. The Jagger/Bowie version of Dancin’ In The Streets is awful for a lot of reasons, but maybe the biggest is that it kept Bonnie Tyler and Holding Out For A Hero from getting to number one. Monstrous.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Yeah I got paid $24k a year to get my masters.

I mean I was SUPPOSED to get my PhD and raise the profile of my PI, lab, and university but fk it, get out get paid.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I made a chicken salad with

Chicken
    Avocado
    Walnuts
    Craisins
    Pickles
    Sharp cheddar
    Dijon mustard

It's good

So It Goes wrote: »
    I made a chicken salad with

Chicken
    Avocado
    Walnuts
    Craisins
    Pickles
    Sharp cheddar
    Dijon mustard

It's good

would eat

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

It's a foolproof plan

Oh, true.

I told girlfriend (who has a master's in public policy) that some science majors get paid a stipend for grad school and she literally didn't believe me. I had to show her articles to prove it to her.

The idea of going to a PhD program and not even getting a stipend makes me very sad

Like it's already a huge opportunity cost, to charge for it is just twisting the knife.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Look I published like three papers and one was in nature and I helped out all the other people in my lab with some shit and I taught programming, so it’s fine, they got an ok deal.

Donkey Kong on

It's a foolproof plan

Oh, true.

I haven't heard of any science PhD program that doesn't pay its grad students. Sometimes the program comes with a teaching obligation (but my program just wanted a semester or maybe two of TAing, where TAing meant grading, not teaching), and of course you're doing research, but you always get paid. (...$15-30K. Usually in the mid 20s I think.)

Look I published like three papers and one was in nature and I helped out all the other people in my lab with some shit and I taught programming, so it’s fine, they got an ok deal.

you had a nature paper but still noped out with a master's?

damn

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

This is like 50% of my job

Rambling about why people should buy shit

The secret to projects is that most things are totally doable and if you get angry enough it’ll work after a while.

damn

I was extremely unhappy with academia

damn

I was extremely unhappy with academia

Oh no yeah to be clear I think that's a bold and awesome move

i just had the most disappointing cupcake

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Heh, One of our current products codename has PAX in it.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I got paid for my MA in English lit.

I didn't question it and I will continue to be happy with the arrangement.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    i just had the most disappointing cupcake

Was it all cake and not enough cup?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2018
    Things I learned about myself that I did not know

I really like negotiating; I get to spend 9 digits of other people’s money and it is surprisingly fun

Explaining why people should buy certain ad products is another form of storytelling (even if it’s a boring story)

Vanguard on
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I have to run an errand and I don’t want to run an errand

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Who wants to give me money?

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I'm all for literary minimalism when it comes to verb descriptors, but...

I feel like Batman probably has a p strange laugh.

Bruce Wayne has a solid politician's "HA... ha... Haha."

Batman... yeah, he's probably got an off-putting man-giggle.

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

It's a foolproof plan

I've been told it is the same with polisci. But I went into a public policy program instead of a PhD program.

This discussion has been closed.