As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Leeks wrote: »
    I've gotten 3-4 excellent curves over the last two weeks, so I assume I'll not be able to get any once I reach that step. Still need to do more raids first. Wailmer, and Spheal are my targets of choice for excellent curves, but they are not super common outside of events.

it was easier when they had the big static-ish raid targets like Lugia. But it's pretty hard to nail an excellent on latios. Your best bet right now is probably trying to find a wailmer, yeah

If you're in North America, Tauros are fantastic targets too.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Latias sucks for getting good throws at least for me

I normally always throw curveballs, but Latias is so far away I keep not reaching when I curve

Lugia and Mewtwo were much easier

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Leeks wrote: »
    I've gotten 3-4 excellent curves over the last two weeks, so I assume I'll not be able to get any once I reach that step. Still need to do more raids first. Wailmer, and Spheal are my targets of choice for excellent curves, but they are not super common outside of events.

it was easier when they had the big static-ish raid targets like Lugia. But it's pretty hard to nail an excellent on latios. Your best bet right now is probably trying to find a wailmer, yeah

If you're in North America, Tauros are fantastic targets too.

I don't know what Niantic considers North America, but I'm nowhere near it since I've never seen one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Ponyta has a surprisingly large target area as well, though I don't see it often.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Literally got my Gold Fighting badge with my first catch.

Oh well, the event has other fun stuff. Hopefully I'll have time to do some gym grinding.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Looks like a few of the hitmons have been added to T3 raids.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Zapdos get! Not a superpower or anything but it’s one step closer to a full Kanto ‘dex.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Exciting morning today - completely fluked an excellent curveball on a Kakuna, so I was able to complete the final stage of the special research. Got my Mew!

And it was the last day of my field research quest, so I've just netted Zapdos too! Kanto 'dex now standing at 147, which is more than it ever did when I played Red&Blue as a kid.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    I got 3 excellent curves yesterday, all without really trying, and I still need two more raids and to evolve a magikarp. So yeah, using up that luck too early.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I got Mew yesterday! Woot!

Also got a research quest from a stop that requires 3 excellent throws...

in a row.

Thats gonna be harder than catching Mew!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I got Mew yesterday! Woot!

Also got a research quest from a stop that requires 3 excellent throws...

in a row.

Thats gonna be harder than catching Mew!

If you pull it off, you'll get a Larvitar!

...yeah, I always delete that one.

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    So I'm sitting here desperate for ghosts to show up, as I'm 7/10 for the last quest in this part of the mew chain.
    But I'm also bummed because I've already evolved a Gyarados, and I ain't anywhere close to having enough candy to evolve ANOTHER magikarp. I don't suppose this one counts retroactively?

• Options
    Nope, sorry. The only retroactive jobs in the “get Mew” list are the level-ups.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Nope, sorry. The only retroactive jobs in the “get Mew” list are the level-ups.

Weren't there pokedex ones?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Were there? I don’t recall any… but I guess those would be too, yeah.
    Basically anything you can’t do again without restarting from scratch.

• Options
    Welp, they're trying again with a big event in Chicago. Also Japan and Germany.

If you can't make those, there's going to be some sort of global thingy.

Oh, after Charmander on May 19 the next community days will be June 16 and July 8.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'll be curious to see how they fuck it up this time. Also if it's nearly as popular after the blunder last time :P (though I imagine it'll still sell out)

I'd like to think they will have planned around all the network issues from last time, but this is Niantic so....

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'll be curious to see how they fuck it up this time. Also if it's nearly as popular after the blunder last time :P (though I imagine it'll still sell out)

I'd like to think they will have planned around all the network issues from last time, but this is Niantic so....

They've had events since then that didn't blow up in their faces (here I'm thinking Mewtwo in Japan), so hopefully they've got it figured out.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I didn't capture Mewtwo after the raid, but we did beat it fairly easily and I got a ton of xp so not the worst. Plus it was in the 60s and I got out of work early.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Hah I noticed someone battling our team's gym near my house but there was a raid timer going on. Just about 10 mins before the raid started, I took it back and ran all too gleefully back home
    What has my life come to...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Oh hey. My wife is from Lincoln Park. Too bad we're in Seattle during that time frame. :(

• Options
    Did a little experiment today. Turns out if you complete a research assignment on one day you can delay turning it in for the reward until the next day (and get the stamp) without penalty. Which just got me weekly Zapdos #2, as it happens.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Something else you can do is save up the pokemon that you get rewarded from completing the assignments (just run away from them, they don't disappear) and they will stack (up to 99). You can then pop a lucky egg and a starpiece and go to town catching guaranteed pokemon for 30 minutes in the comfort of your house.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Did a little experiment today. Turns out if you complete a research assignment on one day you can delay turning it in for the reward until the next day (and get the stamp) without penalty. Which just got me weekly Zapdos #2, as it happens.

I've been doing this since it started - I was away in the week the research tasks appeared, and I had no way of knowing if I'd be able to get to a Pokestop for a new quest each day, so I held one over to see if it worked the next day. And it did! So I now do it every day, just in case I don't make it to a stop the next day.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Got my Latios after the first one ran from me. Mediocre IVs but a dex entry is a dex entry.

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Thread, help me understand leveling a bit better.
    I've recently run into the same situation with a Machop, and the yellow thing I didn't see before this fighting event started, idk, thiccachu?
    Anyway, I've got one mon who's spiked the CP arc. Their IV is somewhere in the high 70's. But then I've got another 'mon who's CP is say, 100 less than the dude with a full arc. But he's got IVs in the 90s or something along those lines. If I've only got enough candy to evolve one, which should I choose? Does it even matter if the IV isn't a full 100% or another extreme? Does me being only lvl29 factor into it? I'm not even really going out on raids or doing any sort of heavy gym battling, but I don't want to just be like "Get the highest CP I can!" if it turns out being a couple hundred CP less won't matter if I've got stats of 14-15.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, getting perfect IVs isn't as important as CP unless you're going to be able to eventually power it up. More important than IVs is what moveset you are working with, tbh.

As an example,
    Level 30 15/15/15 IV Machamp: has 2476 CP and 142 HP
    Level 30 10/10/10 IV Machamp has: 2361 CP and 139 HP

Not in those numbers but still present is how hard they hit and how well they take hits, but it's on about the same scale as the difference in HP, if not even less. People like their perfect IVs for bragging rights but at the end of the day it isn't a huge deal.

I have a perfect CP 44 Totodile that I know I will never bother powering up because for the same stardust/candy I could have two Pretty Good Feraligatr.

TDawg on
  • Options
    Fightapalooza ends today. Didn't get a single shiny, grumble grumble.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I didn't get a single hitmon anything nor did I see a raid for one =/

still missing all hitmons, porygon, grimer, regionals, and articuno (sp?)

oh well

• Options
    Got 7 shiny Charmanders in today's Go event.
    Good haul. Evolved two of them, and one good IV non-shiny

On the way home we stopped by a raid. My GF who didn't bother playing all day jumped in for the raid at the last second and got a shiny Ho-oh!
    Meanwhile, my non-shiny 98% Ho-oh ran away.
    Not sure if I can ever forgive...

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Pretty rainy here today and didn't see too many charmanders, though I did get a shiny evolved. Still need one more ghost pokemon for this special research, any good places to hunt for those?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rained here as well, but I was able to get a bunch of Charmanders nonetheless

Got two shinies, and eventually evolved a 15/13/15 that ended up with Fire Spin as it's quick move

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pretty rainy here today and didn't see too many charmanders, though I did get a shiny evolved. Still need one more ghost pokemon for this special research, any good places to hunt for those?

Wait for night time.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm a whopping 1/10 in that step of the special research right now

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Wait for night time.

Or, if you're in a metro area of any decent size, see if any local groups keep up with nest rotations. I got all my ghosts from a Ghastly nest.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I need 4 more

shame evolutions don't count

• Options
    Alolan Formes incoming!
    I wonder if they will use the same candy as the base formes; that would actually be interesting, so probably not.

Also, has anyone else forgotten how to do straight throws? I got so used to curving every shot lately that I have no idea what distance to flick for a straight shot anymore.

• Options
    Here's the deets! Looks like it's just the gen 1 revisions, not the rest of the Alolan gen. In the "coming weeks."

• Options
    Surprising

• Options
    The only thing surprising about it is that they didn't do it, you know, to coincide with the release of Pokemon Sun/Moon. Or the release of Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon.

Excited for Ghost/Fire Marowak, though.