As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile]Betrayal League December 7th

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Anyone have ideas for a good blade vortex build next league? I see it's being revamped some so I'm hoping it won't feel like quite so much ass to me.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    EngineeringEternity did a Scion BV build that looked pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS7bph70m0Q

Rius on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah it seems like most builds are scion, elemntalist or inquisitor.

edited May 2018
    Lol, I love how it starts off talking about using a weapon from uber elder... Don't think that's gonna be a good league starter, as he mentions in the video.

Saldonas on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Lol, I love how it starts off talking about using a weapon from uber elder... Don't think that's gonna be a good league starter, as he mentions in the video.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2112439

lifting included this in one of his guides and it looked pretty good

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I am leveling tri herald with Tulborns and Tulfalls. And it works great. You dont need the elder item. Using gluttony belt too and as much run speed as I can. Working well. Needs more survivability heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I've watched a little bit of Nugiyen playing something like this, it's pretty nutty how quick it clears mobs with just a touch.

Crippl3 wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I've watched a little bit of Nugiyen playing something like this, it's pretty nutty how quick it clears mobs with just a touch.

Impulsas is good as it turns out

There will be a "Royal Chambers" Temple room that just straight up has Atziri in it, lol. That's awesome.

There's also no difference in rarity between rooms, which is nice.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I still think it is kind of weird that we're jumping back into the past to kill a bunch of Vaal soldiers and architects just trying to get a cool temple up. I know Atziri and Doryani's cradle (whatever that was) will end up waking the Beast to kill them all eventually, but it seems a bit homicidal.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The only lawful good character is Templar. The rest are neutral at best or in the case of Witch/Shadow outright evil. Most of the cast would have no moral issue with going on a murder spree for loot/power.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I feel like the Templar gets kind of confusing whenever his god is being a total dick, you then kill said god and start hanging out with Sin who seems quite nice, before your old god becomes kind of cool again after realizing murdering thousands of people was bad.

Fiatil on
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Anyone have ideas for a good blade vortex build next league? I see it's being revamped some so I'm hoping it won't feel like quite so much ass to me.

Totems! Hierophants make great league-starters and have a bullshit damage multipliers for totems. And totem uptime scales %regen for mana and life which is exactly what you want for a MoM-oriented subclass.

Seriously, I already loved the ascendancy and then they went and buffed it ohmurgawd. I'm obsessed with Templars now.
    I've always found crit and glass cannon builds to be finicky, situational and difficult to level wtih.

Like fuck it, I have a legacy Caustic Arrow Hierophant who just uses Wither totems to stack single-target damage and get regen buffs. Dude just dances while gas clouds murder enemies. Super affordable build.

Twenty Sided on
    edited May 2018
    re: Alignments and canon about Templar

I think the whole storyline about Sin and Innocence was not originally planned.
    I just sort of assumed God was just some generically Judeochristian immanent monotheistic blob. Path of Exile always had kind of a patchwork make-it-up-as-you-go-along approach to lore.
    So the Templar never needed any theological justification for what he was doing because God approves of it, being omnipotent and omnipresent, it's just assumed God has a plan.
    Then you walk up to Dominus, smash his face in and shrug. This was honorable trial-by-combat. His journey to it was necessary to achieve this outcome. Once you throw in a fallible personal god, it sort of loses that gravitas.

I never cared for the institution of D&D alignments because the axis is so subjective and assumes a innate universal morality. It's fine if you want that for your setting, but it's unnecessary in the rules because not every setting has to be that. (Arguments about alignment mechanics don't work because they're so rare that they don't cause any real issues to remove. Suddenly you just have Circle Against Demons and Undead instead of one for Evil.)

I bet you can get different people making different arguments about why Marauder is lawful neutral, chaotic neutral or true neutral. Because the labels are subjective and fail to correctly describe Marauder's moral outlook -- which is that he's a Karui warrior. He's a good soldier inside the context of his civilization and doesn't accept Oriathan laws or norms or their religion. As far as he believes, he's honorable within the context of his own culture. Oriathan soldiers and Templars are enemies and you kill your enemies. The status of being a slave is shameful and intolerable for Karui, a slave is "not even a man." He's also one of the few characters who outright states that it would be "wrong to do that here" if you attempt to use skills in town.

But people would argue that being Chaotic Good doesn't mean that the person doesn't have a personal sense of honor. Which is, honestly, fucking stupid. Because it means that makes lawful ambiguous.

Lawful means:
    - Respect for authority and established institutions.
    - But maybe not all of them. Some are more legitimate than others because lawful doesn't mean "rigidly inflexible"
    - He has a personal code of conduct, except when chaotic people also have them

It's kind of a useless descriptor. Maybe the lawful neutral person believes in principle that having rules is a net good for everybody, even if he's not particularly altruistic in his personal habits. So does that make the committed Supreme Justice lawful good or lawful neutral?

Twenty Sided on
    Yeah the 3.0 story definitely clashes with a lot of the original stuff, but it's a a lot of fun so oh well. In act 4 as a Marauder your guy keeps essentially calling The Beast "Kitava" whenever Sin establishes The Beast as very much not Kitava.

You don't meet Sin until Act 5.

I agree! My post didn't contend that you met him any earlier. Act 5 was developed after 4 in a patch, and they appear to have changed their minds a bit. The devs themselves have said the story evolved and changed a lot with acts 5-10.

Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah the 3.0 story definitely clashes with a lot of the original stuff, but it's a a lot of fun so oh well. In act 4 as a Marauder your guy keeps essentially calling The Beast "Kitava" whenever Sin establishes The Beast as very much not Kitava.

I think that much at least makes sense. The "good guy" view is that all religions are false.
    You learn about all these gods that were once mortals and which only seem to have ascended to power because people worshiped them or became so fearful of the big bad bogeyman.
    And concentrated power invariably leads to abuse of power. The Brine King wants mind-controlled brides, Innocence institutes a repressive dictatorship, Lunaris and Solaris mindlessly fight to force the world into eternal day or night. You get the idea.

These gods only have power because their worshipers believe they do and the gods themselves turn into something inhuman and alien in the process.
    When High Templar Avarius was Innocence's host, Innocence's ideology reflects that of the Templar orthodoxy.
    When Bannon becomes his host, Innocence is reformed. Sin picks him out because Bannon is a humble and unassuming man. He describes himself as "Bannon the Nobody."
    Both Lily Roth and Sin remark that becoming a god is one of those processes that kills the mortal man that you used to be. You go insane or change into something else.

In the Karui paradigm, Kitava is their Satan. So he's responsible for all the bad things. The dead are walking? That's definitely Kitava. You're sure of it. That's the sort of shit he gets up to. If you talk to Haku, he views everything he does as spiritual warfare against Kitava, who is eating all the ancestor spirits.
    Utula is more countercultural in that he treats Kitava like a downtrodden patron of slaves.
    They're all wrong. Everything you learn seems to indicate that the Karui gods are only real because the Karui believe that they are real.

Sin is the protagonist view because he doesn't demand you fall to your knees and worship him. He treats you more like a partner helping to [cough] downsize the heavens. Restructuring paradigms and all that. Because nobody should be entrusted with that much power. Also because killing gods is metal as fuck.

I fully expected Sin to stab us in the back once we'd knocked off all his competition. It's nice that he was principled enough to put humanity first.

Yilias wrote: »
    I fully expected Sin to stab us in the back once we'd knocked off all his competition. It's nice that he was principled enough to put humanity first.

PoE: Chris Metzen Edition

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular

I also expected this.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    the only time people get stabbed in the back are when they are in love

then they get eaten

people at GGG have apparently had really bad relationships

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »

I also expected this.

Probably will involve seeking innocence in his self imposed exile for help.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

I also expected this.

If they don't merge into one super-god named "Sinnocence" then I just don't even know

Garthor wrote: »

I also expected this.

If they don't merge into one super-god named "Sinnocence" then I just don't even know

Naturally, you can only beat him with the power of friendship.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    I still think it is kind of weird that we're jumping back into the past to kill a bunch of Vaal soldiers and architects just trying to get a cool temple up. I know Atziri and Doryani's cradle (whatever that was) will end up waking the Beast to kill them all eventually, but it seems a bit homicidal.

Literally all you do in this game is kill things as efficiently as possible. I look at time travel as just increased efficiency, because I'm killing off all of the future generations they would have otherwise spawned.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Literally all you do in this game is kill things as efficiently as possible.

for most normies they believe in this mythical efficiency but i... i maximise on a different curve...

one day i shall reach the meme value of 1... the most powerful build.................

obF2Wuw.png
    Rius wrote: »

PoE: Chris Metzen Edition

I was impressed enough with the story my first go around that I was really hoping Sin would turn out to be pretty cool, but after so many Blizzard games it was hard not to anticipate him betraying you at the end. If it were a Blizzard game he absolutely would have fused all of the essences of the gods you've been killing together to become the omni god final boss. Hooray for a different path!

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Literally all you do in this game is kill things as efficiently as possible.

for most normies they believe in this mythical efficiency but i... i maximise on a different curve...

one day i shall reach the meme value of 1... the most powerful build.................

You are the hero we deserve

I think I'm going to test out the new Rain of Arrows as my first Incursion build. With maybe a Vaal Burning Arrow single target if they make it good. It looks like RoA will scale with Volley and additional projectiles so it should have a pretty high ceiling with a fairly cheap basic setup, like most bow builds.

Deadeye is the natural choice here but if RoA either doesn't have +1 projectile scaling or if it works like Firestorm where additional AoE reduces effective DPS that makes both Ricochet and Endless Munitions useless. I don't think Tailwind is enough. So I might do a tanker Scion Slayer/whatever version because overleech is brokenly good for HC

After I farm a bit I guess I want to try the revamped traps like everyone else. But I'm intrigued by the possibility of doing a Vaal Summon Skeletons Necro using phantasms. Although no green gem quality on skeletons feels a little bad.

Lots of what I want to do is provisional on certain Vaal skills being good, and their base skill being workable without gem quality.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Finally was able to purchase a fenumal hybrid arachnid capture, took about 5-6 hours of sitting in trade 820 while mapping. That along with killing and capturing fenmus got me to 36 challenges completed.

I found 4 tiger portal beasts total, the last tiger I found I sold for 8ex, and I was getting whispers every 10-15 minutes with offers near that. The ones I sold weeks ago went for 1 ex. I paid 1ex for the spider.

Every league I slack around with challenges, I should probably focus on them a bit more so I don't end up having to make sure I have a pile of currency around just in case I have to buy a bunch of challenges.

I tried Uber elder once with my blade flurry character, I got to what I think is about half way through the fight before I ran out of portals, I was having a hard time seeing the elder degen pools and I probably need a purity of ice for the extra cold resistance. I might be able to get it with some more practice, but I think I'm going to take a break until Incursion.

The last 5-6 challenges are always huge grinds. It helps a lot to identify which ones those are and plan ahead for how you're going to handle them. Some things are much more easily bought than done yourself and vice versa.

Like killing Uber Elder on your own is hard, but you could find free services without looking very hard. Then stuff like 1500 maps is easy but time consuming and there's no way to buy it.

• GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular

I made a strength-based, unique-heavy, energy shield/life hybrid Chieftian BV build in Bestiary. I expected it to be just a meme, but it actually turned out to be good enough I'll try it again next league to play with the BV and ignite changes. https://pastebin.com/9MpVWaFQ

steam_sig.png
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/8kx39s/tencent_has_invested_in_grinding_gear_games/
    Our Chinese publisher, Tencent, has acquired a majority stake in Grinding Gear Games. We will remain an independent company and there won't be any big changes to how we operate. We want to reassure the community that this will not affect the development and operations of Path of Exile, so we have prepared answers to some questions you may have about this investment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/8kx39s/tencent_has_invested_in_grinding_gear_games/
    Our Chinese publisher, Tencent, has acquired a majority stake in Grinding Gear Games. We will remain an independent company and there won't be any big changes to how we operate. We want to reassure the community that this will not affect the development and operations of Path of Exile, so we have prepared answers to some questions you may have about this investment.

ugh

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i love news where the best case scenario is that it makes no difference

obF2Wuw.png
    in more light-hearted news

chris wilson wanted to make the april fools gag something totally different and way more malicious

he want to make it so fake mirrors of kalandra dropped, but you couldn't actually pick them up

you just click and click on them, but they don't actually exist

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I guess it was an 80% sale of stake via shares?

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/1887410/shareholdings

That seems like a fucking lot.

Functionally, 51% and 80% really aren't different. But, the fact hat they'd sink so much into GGG means they probably really have confidence in PoE making a lot of money still.

We'll see how they remonetize it. I've spent between $500-1000 on supporter packs and mtx, but I won't be spending anything in the future. If they convert it to a pay to win model like the Chinese version of PoE is currently then I'll just quit entirely.

We'll see how they remonetize it. I've spent between $500-1000 on supporter packs and mtx, but I won't be spending anything in the future. If they convert it to a pay to win model like the Chinese version of PoE is currently then I'll just quit entirely.

Wasn't that covered in the Reddit post?
    Will Path of Exile become Pay to Win?

No. We will not make any changes to its monetisation on our international servers.

This discussion has been closed.