As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    I think I missed something...
    Is Fitz dead? Or did they recover his body and put it into that stasis pod in the hopes that they can cure being disemboweled and crushed by rocks in the future?
    fitz from the future died. That fitz put himself into cryo and launched into space in the past. That fitz is still alive and well, and they are going to to fetch him.

Time travel is weird
    Did they ever cover "Oh hey, there's a stasis pod in here and Fitz is in it. Isn't that weird?" after they got back from the future? Or did the Blue Man take him away and that's why he wasn't there in the past either?

Because that explanation kinda makes sense, but I don't recall them covering it after getting back as they were all in "Well, we're alive in the future so we can't die." mode.

I think I may have to rewatch this season once it's out on video. Timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff is sometimes hard to follow.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2018
    Is Fitz dead? Or did they recover his body and put it into that stasis pod in the hopes that they can cure being disemboweled and crushed by rocks in the future?
    fitz from the future died. That fitz put himself into cryo and launched into space in the past. That fitz is still alive and well, and they are going to to fetch him.

Time travel is weird
    Did they ever cover "Oh hey, there's a stasis pod in here and Fitz is in it. Isn't that weird?" after they got back from the future? Or did the Blue Man take him away and that's why he wasn't there in the past either?

Because that explanation kinda makes sense, but I don't recall them covering it after getting back as they were all in "Well, we're alive in the future so we can't die." mode.

I think I may have to rewatch this season once it's out on video. Timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff is sometimes hard to follow.
    the observer dude took him to space and put him in cryo to wait before the world broke.

so ostensibly, he has been in space for weeks or months already, but definitely not years.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    also
    holy shit inhumans with that centipede shit are god-level powerful. Daisy launched a man into space

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    also
    holy shit inhumans with that centipede shit are god-level powerful. Daisy launched a man into space

I just realized
    Daisy already had the Kree componant, so she now is a an Inhuman with Kree blood, centipede formula (Which had a knockoff Erskine formula, Extremis and gamma radiation) and Jai Ying's healing factor. Daisy is the Ur-Superhero now

Putting together final thoughts on the series
    Glenn Talbot got done DIRTY by this season. As cool as it was to get Graviton, I hate hate hate how we got him and what it cost.

Also, I don't think the show gave any explanation as to why THIS loop was different. Why did May and Fitz not save Mack and the Mom in the last go around. Why did Coulson stash the centipede formula into Daisy's armor this time and not last time. Ostensibly, they've been through the loop once before, so what changed this time?

EDIT:
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Well no one...
    (infinity war spoilers)
    Dissolved. Which I'm okay with because Infinity War did a damn number on my brain and made watching the entire wrap up incredibly stressful because I was convinced it was going to happen any second now.
    There wouldn't have been much of a point to it; they'd be gone and then back again at the start of next season.

Wonder where they're going to go with Season 6; will they start having rescued Fitz and Coulson dead? Or are they going spend the season finding a way to save him.

The implication was
    that coulson had days left to live and had made his peace; kind of hard to make a season out of that.
    24 is literally a season of television that takes place over the course of a day.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    also

I just realized
    Daisy already had the Kree componant, so she now is a an Inhuman with Kree blood, centipede formula (Which had a knockoff Erskine formula, Extremis and gamma radiation) and Jai Ying's healing factor. Daisy is the Ur-Superhero now

Glenn Talbot got done DIRTY by this season. As cool as it was to get Graviton, I hate hate hate how we got him and what it cost.

Also, I don't think the show gave any explanation as to why THIS loop was different. Why did May and Fitz not save Mack and the Mom in the last go around. Why did Coulson stash the centipede formula into Daisy's armor this time and not last time. Ostensibly, they've been through the loop once before, so what changed this time?
    Yo-Yo warned them that saving Coulson would doom the world, so Coulson decided not to use the centipede serum on himself.

They haven't done the loop before, this is their first go around. But at the same time their alternate versions have gone through it, notably Yo-Yo, who then told them what happened in their alternate reality/timeline, which then allowed the real/our version of the gang to change things. In the alternate timeline May and Fitz didn't save Mack and the Mom because their alternate versions didn't know that Mack and the Mom both die so they had no reason to worry about them. Also, in the alternate timeline Fitz didn't die because in that timeline he didn't put himself into cryosleep so there was no reason for the universe to correct the two Fitzes situation.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    also

I just realized

Yo-Yo warned them that saving Coulson would doom the world, so Coulson decided not to use the centipede serum on himself.

They haven't done the loop before, this is their first go around. But at the same time their alternate versions have gone through it, notably Yo-Yo, who then told them what happened in their alternate reality/timeline, which then allowed the real/our version of the gang to change things. In the alternate timeline May and Fitz didn't save Mack and the Mom because their alternate versions didn't know that Mack and the Mom both die so they had no reason to worry about them. Also, in the alternate timeline Fitz didn't die because in that timeline he didn't put himself into cryosleep so there was no reason for the universe to correct the two Fitzes situation.
    No, they already completed at least one loop of "Go to the future, bring back future knowledge, experience the future happening." Otherwise the whole "We can't die" thing would have made zero sense as the entire escapade in the present would have been brand new. They had at least one loop because the Zephyr was already modified for space flight, Yo-Yo was missing her arms, and May had been caretaker for the kid.

• Options
    also

I just realized

No, they already completed at least one loop of "Go to the future, bring back future knowledge, experience the future happening." Otherwise the whole "We can't die" thing would have made zero sense as the entire escapade in the present would have been brand new. They had at least one loop because the Zephyr was already modified for space flight, Yo-Yo was missing her arms, and May had been caretaker for the kid.
    Those were different people in a different reality.

There is no loop.

• Options
    also

I just realized

There is no loop.
    Except the show made absolutely zero case for that, and made multiple statements to the opposite. There was a loop, as we had beaten into our heads, and then the loop was broken for reasons.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    also

I just realized

There is no loop.
    Except the show made absolutely zero case for that, and made multiple statements to the opposite. There was a loop, as we had beaten into our heads, and then the loop was broken for reasons.
    The fact that the "loop" was "broken" proves that there is no loop. A loop is a loop, if you break it it's no longer a loop, it's a not-loop. It can't be a loop because there never was a loop.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    also

I just realized

There is no loop.
    The fact that the "loop" was "broken" proves that there is no loop. A loop is a loop, if you break it it's no longer a loop, it's a not-loop. It can't be a loop because there never was a loop.
    "if you break a loop, it's no longer a loop" implies that it was, at one point, a loop, which jives with what the show both told and showed us. There was a loop; it was broken so it is no longer a loop, but there was still a loop.

But I think we're getting off track. If we're going with the "it's two separate timelines" that still doesn't explain what happened in Timeline A (the "real timeline") that didn't happen in Timeline B (the "flashback timeline".) The B-Timeline SHIELD still had to go to the future, see the future and then go back in time to set up all the stuff that would happen in the future that Timeline A SHIELD experienced. Future Yo-Yo even mentions talking to her future self (indicated things had already happened at least once before, if not more than once since the future yo-yo that future yo-yo talked to would have likely also spoken to a future Yo-Yo.). Ostensibly, Timeline B SHIELD would have had all the same tools and information that Timeline A SHIELD did, so how did things turn out differently?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Mechanics of the Loop theory:
    The Loop is inferred to have happened multiple times. However, we're never really able to see just what happened in the crucial point of the loop [the fight with Graviton], only the scrambling to survive in the midst of it all (the bits of alternate past flashbacks). There's the potential that each time, the team changed something each time, but it's never really enough to push them off that track. And we know that, from this version of events, the major change that needs to be made is, somehow, they need to keep Graviton from absorbing Daisy and cracking the Earth apart to harness it's gravitonium.

At the very least, the major variables we know of are:
    - The serum has to be saved for Daisy to use to accelerate graviton to escape velocity
    - They have to not combine it with the odium, to avoid accidentally failing with the "give Graviton a heart explosion" move

This time around, whatever it was, they finally got enough variables changed that they managed to push May to the point that she shatters the Odium vial (thus, no more risk of accidentally failing to inject Graviton, and he absorbs Daisy), and Coulson rejects his own wellbeing to give Daisy the juice she needs to send Graviton into space, JoJo-style, so no more cracking the earth, and thus the loop is broken.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    One more thing I'll say about this ep
    Man, people sure got over Fitz's death REAL quick. I get that they have a spare floating in space, but like, a man still died!

Wonder if they're going to have a second wedding?

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    One more thing I'll say about this ep
    Man, people sure got over Fitz's death REAL quick. I get that they have a spare floating in space, but like, a man still died!

Wonder if they're going to have a second wedding?

Also
    a Fitz that didn't, you know... kidnap your friend and force her to undergo surgery against her will

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    After the team was kidnapped, Fitz shot himself into space in cryostasis. The one that was woken up by Enoch and then went back in time died, but in the current timeline there is still one floating in space waiting for the world to explode. That one will not have experienced anything that happened this season, because all he did was make a plan and go to sleep, only to be woken up "prematurely" after the loop was broken.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    After the team was kidnapped, Fitz shot himself into space in cryostasis. The one that was woken up by Enoch and then went back in time died, but in the current timeline there is still one floating in space waiting for the world to explode. That one will not have experienced anything that happened this season, because all he did was make a plan and go to sleep, only to be woken up "prematurely" after the loop was broken.

Well, that one still
    had his badass prison break with Hunter, so he's still pretty alright.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Soooo, generally a good season, or even series, finale, except for one main point.
    I kept waiting for there to be some special thing that would say, okay, this time they can change the future when in every other case that was a no-go. But no, all they had to do was...try to change something, and it worked? That's all there was to it? It wasn't even just one thing, Coulson and May/Fitz decided independently to change the future, just at the last possible moment.

So that means Jemma actually could have died at any time, and it's just blind luck that she didn't.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Finale spoilers
    Philinda shippers saved the world. If Phil hadn't kissed May, she probably wouldn't have broken the odium to make sure the centipede serum wasn't used against Talbot, and so Phil couldn't have hidden it in Daisy's gauntlet.

And yeah, it's a shame Talbot went out like this when they'd done such a good job of redeeming him.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Real mixed about this season, and its finale.
    The lack of an Infinity War tie-in wasn't surprising, but it sure made it feel like it didn't take place in the same MCU.

Fitz dying felt unearned. "Rocks fall; Fitz died" levels of unearned. He didn't put himself in particularly dangerous levels of harm's way; he didn't die trying to save a friend, or even a civilian on the street. It was just random.

Why couldn't the master of gravity slow or stop his ascent into space? Or pull himself back to earth?

What happened to Deke?!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Time travel is weird

Fitz and Simmons
    Now I’m curious about how time travel logistics effects marriages, is Simmons going to have to marry that Fitz now?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Time travel is weird

Fitz and Simmons
    Now I’m curious about how time travel logistics effects marriages, is Simmons going to have to marry that Fitz now?
    super morbid - did they take the ring off of dead fitz's finger?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Time travel is weird

Fitz and Simmons

Have to? You mean get to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Real mixed about this season, and its finale.
    The lack of an Infinity War tie-in wasn't surprising, but it sure made it feel like it didn't take place in the same MCU.

Fitz dying felt unearned. "Rocks fall; Fitz died" levels of unearned. He didn't put himself in particularly dangerous levels of harm's way; he didn't die trying to save a friend, or even a civilian on the street. It was just random.

Why couldn't the master of gravity slow or stop his ascent into space? Or pull himself back to earth?

What happened to Deke?!
    Talbot left the earth reaaaaal fast. His brain was probably liquefied from that acceleration.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So, who wants a spoiler that was always in plain sight?

5x01
    8Kuvi4N.png

sig.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's even got the Zephyr.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Clark Gregg talks about Coulson's fate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2GZ8mCQurE

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    What if
    Coulson dies from the snap just before he dies from the whatever.

Then when the snap gets undone he comes back cured.

/shrug

Or did Clark Gregg leave the show?

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    What if
    Coulson dies from the snap just before he dies from the whatever.

Then when the snap gets undone he comes back cured.

/shrug

Or did Clark Gregg leave the show?

upcoming MCU spoilers
    clark gregg is going to at least be in captain marvel alongside a young nick fury.

So he is returning to film as coulson.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    There was never a loop, but there was a tight spiral. Looks the same until the deviation is big enough to notice.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'll also say that
    I don't think Mack is a good choice for leading SHIELD, especially if he just 'earned' it by being a self-righteous dick to the rest of the team...but I also didn't think Quake was a good choice either. In fact, I think I'd really like for us to be done with this "SHIELD is 10 people working out of an old bunker" phase. It's a nice concept for a season or two, but as the organization keeps getting smaller and smaller with every season, I feel like it's getting pretty far afield of what SHIELD is actually supposed to be.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'll also say that
    I don't think Mack is a good choice for leading SHIELD, especially if he just 'earned' it by being a self-righteous dick to the rest of the team...but I also didn't think Quake was a good choice either. In fact, I think I'd really like for us to be done with this "SHIELD is 10 people working out of an old bunker" phase. It's a nice concept for a season or two, but as the organization keeps getting smaller and smaller with every season, I feel like it's getting pretty far afield of what SHIELD is actually supposed to be.
    May is really the correct choice, but Mack is the only one who comes close to filling the gap with leadership. Though I'd be intrigued by what Director Simmons could do.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    That's been my issue with SHIELD for a while now as well.

They're more like the A-Team than a global defense force.
    And Coulson putting Daisy in charge just kinda seemed like nepotism to me.

"You, my surrogate daughter - youngest and second-most junior member of the team - are the one who must take my place!"

RT800 on
  • Options

Blame that on Captain America.

• Options
    edited May 2018

It made sense for a while, but even after the whole Hydra thing blew over and SHIELD made its comeback there was no sense of scale to their operations.

Then Coulson and Co. were quickly written into being fugitives from their own organization and it was back to being a ragtag team on the run.

It's really felt like a show with a budget.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular

It made sense for a while, but even after the whole Hydra thing blew over and SHIELD made its comeback there was no sense of scale to their operations.

Then Coulson and Co. were quickly written into being fugitives from their own organization and it was back to being a ragtag team on the run.

Age of Ultron really is the one where it stopped making sense; how has Fury gotten Shield back enough to be running around with a helicarrier and not noticed that Coulson is a most wanted fugitive using old Shield bases? In a way that's why I thought this last arc was better than the previous ones, at least then their lack of integration with the rest of the MCU made vaguely more sense

• Options
    Gdiguy wrote: »

Age of Ultron really is the one where it stopped making sense; how has Fury gotten Shield back enough to be running around with a helicarrier and not noticed that Coulson is a most wanted fugitive using old Shield bases? In a way that's why I thought this last arc was better than the previous ones, at least then their lack of integration with the rest of the MCU made vaguely more sense

What? Fury was the one who put Coulson on charge of the post Winter Soldier SHIELD and gave him all the resources to do it.

Coulson was also the one in charge of getting the Helicarrier up and running.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm just disappointed
    They didn't say what happened to future guy at all. Did he blink out of existence or not?

• Options
    edited May 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm just disappointed
    They didn't say what happened to future guy at all. Did he blink out of existence or not?
    They kind of did.
    The entire time, the line was "if the future is fixed, then Deke pops out of existence". Then there was a show specifically of his room with all the stuff he'd collected in it, taking care to show both his multitool and Fitz's. Then the end of the episode showed the same room with a completely different set up, and only Fitz's multitool.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm just disappointed
    They kind of did.
    The entire time, the line was "if the future is fixed, then Deke pops out of existence". Then there was a show specifically of his room with all the stuff he'd collected in it, taking care to show both his multitool and Fitz's. Then the end of the episode showed the same room with a completely different set up, and only Fitz's multitool.

Oh damn, I totally didn't connect that up.
    I guess they're still leaving it a bit open though - he also told Daisy he was leaving to see the world. He might've just cleaned out some of his things when he didn't cease to exist.

• Options
    I'm just disappointed
    They kind of did.

I guess they're still leaving it a bit open though - he also told Daisy he was leaving to see the world. He might've just cleaned out some of his things when he didn't cease to exist.
    Also, all the stuff he had hoarded wouldn't pop with him.

• Options
    I'm just disappointed
    They kind of did.

Also, all the stuff he had hoarded wouldn't pop with him.
    Unless he never hoarded it in the first place, because he doesn't exist.

But then Simmons would have gone to her and Fitz's room to get the multi-tool and now my nose is bleeding.

I hate temporal mechanics.

sig.gif