As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita: The original Switch

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Stardew valley is being released in the Vita and is cross buy, does this mean if I own the PS4 version already I will immediately get it? Or will I have to buy it twice? Because I might just do that if the saves transfer over...

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Cross Buy means your purchase crosses all platforms for which it was released. You don’t need to pay for it again, but you may have to “buy” it for free to be able to download the Vita version. Usually happens that way when the Vita version comes out much later.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good reliable place to get 1) get a refurbished oled Vita, or if that’s unrealistic an lcd Vita?

I think I may just go to Gamestop and get one - that way I can return it if I get it home and it’s busted somehow, as long as I do so before the whole corporation goes out of business.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Ebay is likely the only place that will have an OLED model in good condition for a reasonable price. It's where I got mine a few years ago.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good reliable place to get 1) get a refurbished oled Vita, or if that’s unrealistic an lcd Vita?

I think I may just go to Gamestop and get one - that way I can return it if I get it home and it’s busted somehow, as long as I do so before the whole corporation goes out of business.

Craigslist and Ebay are probably your best bets.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah I took a gamble on ebay - should be here in a couple days.

• Options
    Got my oled and it's in pretty darn good shape.

Hacked the shit out of it and installed Adrenaline. Combined that with psx2psp to achieve my goal of laying in bed playing fan translations of comically obscure Japanese games via reasonably perfect emulation.

Also my psp games look so much better on this than my psp 3000 holy shit.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Also I can finally use the Vita for what it was made:

Playing Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold.

august on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    If you have a PS4, try out Remote Play. If your network can handle it, it's black magic.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Dirty wrote: »
    If you have a PS4, try out Remote Play. If your network can handle it, it's black magic.

I tried it briefly and I have a Nighthawk, but don't feel like the framerate is really playable? Is there anything I can do to improve it that you know? EDIT: I also live in a huge apartment complex so I might be dealing with a lot of wifi pollution.

august on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Remote Play has two modes of connection, direct connection and wifi. Wifi tends to be laggy. Direct connection has very little to no latency, but the connection distance is tiny. Generally if there’s a wall between you and the PS4 it’s awful.

My problem was that games UIs don’t scale, so what’s designed for a 1080p/4k TV is barely readable on the Vita screen.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    There is a high framerate mode that's disabled by default I think, as it doesn't allow you to broadcast or save clips.

Direct Connection might be on by default, and it's garbage if you're not in the same room as the PS4.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Direct Connection might be on by default, and it's garbage if you're not in the same room as the PS4.

PS Vita: The original Wii U?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    And the Wii U was just a giant Dreamcast VMU.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The biggest bummer for me is that I wanna play those Vita games on the TV (and not pay over a hundred dollars for a PSTV). I really should've jumped on one when it was down to like $40. I like the Vita a lot, but I also never really go anywhere where a portable console would be of use and if I'm at home I'd rather just play a game on my TV. I might just end up biting the bullet and overpaying for one.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I got the remote play working a lot well but... the lack of buttons seems to be a problem? Like how do you guys deal with that, and are they any games that are good for it? Like I was trying to play Doom 3 and shooting guys was an issue.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Every button can be mapped. Generally the shoulder buttons are mapped to different halves of the rear touch pad.

• Options
    This recent activity and my current preference for handheld gaming is making me want to charge my Vita and play some Muramasa or Dragons Crown.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Every button can be mapped. Generally the shoulder buttons are mapped to different halves of the rear touch pad.

Yeah, Doom 3 had shoot mapped to the rear touchpad and it was a nightmare because using the rear touchpad sucks.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Yeah, Doom 3 had shoot mapped to the rear touchpad and it was a nightmare because using the rear touchpad sucks.
    That’s the default mapping and yeah, it sucks. The games that always stand out to me for having good Vita controls are Destiny and Fallout 4...which were both designed by the same dude. The Assassin’s Creed games have pretty good mappings, too, but I think there was something that was still difficult in one of them, like throwing smoke bombs.

I mean, honestly? Now that you can sync PS4 controllers to both iPhone and Android, that’s probably the ideal way to RemotePlay. Most game companies did not bother changing the default RP controls for Vita, as you will find.

• Options
    Does anyone have any experience getting scratches out of Vita screens? Mine came with a couple small but prominent ones that are making my eye twitch.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any experience getting scratches out of Vita screens? Mine came with a couple small but prominent ones that are making my eye twitch.

Nothing that I would be comfortable trying. I have heard brasso can work, but I'm not brave enough to try.

• Options
    A lot of Vita source ports are going to be getting a lot faster:

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

If only you could still get a PSTV for a reasonable price.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I’ve got one smugface.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Are you serious

Did that just spoil a game that has nothing to do with the Playstation Vita

• Options
    Are you serious

Did that just spoil a game that has nothing to do with the Playstation Vita

I... don't think so?

• Options
    Just didn’t know how close that was to an actual spoiler and I just started that game, and with all the rampant spoilers everywhere, I guess I got my hackles up a bit preemptively

Sorry

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    No it doesn't really spoil anything significant or important whatsoever, except that the game features a Vita in it at one point where they're playing the incredible Hotline Miami 2. Including the music! The exact scene with the vita was also shown in the trailers as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    No it doesn't really spoil anything significant or important whatsoever, except that the game features a Vita in it at one point where they're playing the incredible Hotline Miami 2. Including the music! The exact scene with the vita was also shown in the trailers as well.

Hotline Miami (1), not 2.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
  • Options
    It’s too bad stuff like that won’t work on a Vita that’s been kept up to date

• Options
    It’s too bad stuff like that won’t work on a Vita that’s been kept up to date

Every Vita is now hackable.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Are they really or is this one of those, yeah you can hack it by buying a custom battery or memory card?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Are they really or is this one of those, yeah you can hack it by buying a custom battery or memory card?

You are basically downgrading your Vita to more hack-friendly version like 1.60 or 1.65 (there's also hacks that let you spoof version for newer software), but the exploit that allows the downgrade works on every device with just a usb connection to your computer.