As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I picked up Monument Valley on the weekend because it was on sale for the low low price of free and man, this is a beautiful game. Paid for the extra levels and will probably buy the sequel once I'm done with those.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested, Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition is on sale right now for like CDN$5

I've been waiting for a decent sale for this one. Hopefully I'll actually get around to playing it. My FFT playthrough has stalled on some rooftop battle where the bad guys are killing the girl I'm supposed to protect within like 2 turns and it doesn't help that she runs right up to them.

Darn it, I missed the sale. What use even is this wishlist, if it won't notify you

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition is on sale right now for like CDN$5

I've been waiting for a decent sale for this one. Hopefully I'll actually get around to playing it. My FFT playthrough has stalled on some rooftop battle where the bad guys are killing the girl I'm supposed to protect within like 2 turns and it doesn't help that she runs right up to them.

Darn it, I missed the sale. What use even is this wishlist, if it won't notify you

I have wondered the exact same thing. It seems like a missed opportunity on their part. At least it serves as a way to bookmark things you are interested in so I check back in pretty much daily but that's a ridiculous requirement.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    I guess it's also worth mentioning that This War of Mine is also on sale on the Play store while we are at it.

I've heard it's a feel-good game where all you can do is succeed and cuddle with strangers or something.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Ooh, free Monument Valley. Guess I'll pick that up since I'm trying to draw fun from a stone with the games I've still got on my phone.

Are there any good Android games without timer bullshit? Sometimes I'm on the train and I've run out of game energy and don't feel like playing more Paint It Back on random. It's a great thing to do to kill time, but I've already beaten all the puzzles and I rarely go higher than the basic level of difficulty because then I need to pinch and zoom around the board to properly fill it in.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The real life card game Among The Stars is out on Android!

It's a card drafting set collector game, in which players build the space station worth the most points. Players play one card to attach a room to a space station or Discard it for cash or a power plant to permit more building. After a choice, cards rotate. Players have full knowledge of what their opponents are building, and can build or Discard to both improve points or deprive opponents of theirs. Production value is high and gameplay is pretty good!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    How have the Paint It Back devs not done anything since?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Ooh, free Monument Valley. Guess I'll pick that up since I'm trying to draw fun from a stone with the games I've still got on my phone.

Are there any good Android games without timer bullshit? Sometimes I'm on the train and I've run out of game energy and don't feel like playing more Paint It Back on random. It's a great thing to do to kill time, but I've already beaten all the puzzles and I rarely go higher than the basic level of difficulty because then I need to pinch and zoom around the board to properly fill it in.

Mini Metro is a fun little minimalist puzzler/train manager.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

Mini Metro is a fun little minimalist puzzler/train manager.

Here are my favorites, with the disclaimer that I've only run them offline on iOS; the Android versions might behave differently.

- Threes is the original, superior 2048.
    - Triple Town is a match-three game themed around building a little forest space.
    - Road Not Taken puts Triple Town's mechanics into a roguelike.
    - Deep Under the Sky is like a one-button Angry Birds with mazes and more movement options
    - Sproggiwood is an extremely polished, surprisingly challenging roguelike.
    - Auro is an interesting movement-based roguelike.
    - Card Thief is a stealth game played on a 3x3 grid of cards.
    - There are several Phoenix Wright games (but not the original trilogy?!)
    - Final Fantasy IX is expensive, but can easily last you dozens of hours. DQV and Chrono Trigger are other standouts.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    10000000 and its sequel You Must Build A Boat are great match 3RPGs.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Hoplite is a very, very good game (if you're into turn-based puzzly tactics games). It's fairly old at this point, and hasn't seen any content updates in a long time, but for a while there I was absolutely obsessed with it. Highly recommended.

• Options
    Looks like we are going to need a new thread any day now. Any takers? @captaink?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    That OP is 4 years old! I can make another thread with the same stuff. There's probably things worth adding at this point.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    What's a decent match-3 game to keep around, preferably with some kind of RPG going on? I tried Match Land, but it kind of creeps me out when the bosses say something like, "Stop turning us into food!" That seems like a reasonable request.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    What's a decent match-3 game to keep around, preferably with some kind of RPG going on? I tried Match Land, but it kind of creeps me out when the bosses say something like, "Stop turning us into food!" That seems like a reasonable request.

Gems of war is the best I've found so far

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Gems of war is the best I've come across

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Gems of War, although the quality took a nosedive with the recent addition of doomskulls. Perhaps they will fix their mistakes soon.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've been playing the shit out of the Cartoon Network match 3 (CN Match). You get to build a team and level them up and stuff. It also doesn't beg for money or have ads.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Have you played 1,000,000 or You Must Build a Boat? Those are classics

Or Million Onion Hotel if you want a 24/7 acid trip.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Is there a PA guild for Gems of War?

• Options

Nope. I can get you in the guild I'm currently in, but they do require you to be quite active and able to contribute to the weekly stuff. What's your level and do you have your kingdoms leveled yet?

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

Nope. I can get you in the guild I'm currently in, but they do require you to be quite active and able to contribute to the weekly stuff. What's your level and do you have your kingdoms leveled yet?

Considering I don't know how to answer that question, I probably shouldn't lol. I just started a few days ago, still figuring things out. I wish they let you see what the classes do, would help me pick one.

I don't even know if my team is good (I got lucky with a chest and got a gold- legend?- dragon, so I have been using a dragon-themed deck.

• Options
    If you're new, just join any guild and you'll accelerate massively

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

Considering I don't know how to answer that question, I probably shouldn't lol. I just started a few days ago, still figuring things out. I wish they let you see what the classes do, would help me pick one.

I don't even know if my team is good (I got lucky with a chest and got a gold- legend?- dragon, so I have been using a dragon-themed deck.

Ah yes, just join any guild that's large and reap the rewards.

Your hero class is rather ignorable for a while, but Archer is the best, their traits include starting with 50% mana and a flat out % chance to kill when doing skull damage. For any background info and advice I can recommend Tacet the Terror on YouTube. He has a video with nice starter teams that can come in handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dp_3DIvBto

• Options
    Welp I found a guild to join (hopefully they're okay with it, haven't heard otherwise). I'm using my Glory for keys to unlock chests, hoping for more troops.

I got Archer. I get that I need souls to level it up, but not sure about the traits and other stuff. I see runestones and I've gotten some from chests, but is there a way to farm those elsewhere?

• Options
    Welp I found a guild to join (hopefully they're okay with it, haven't heard otherwise). I'm using my Glory for keys to unlock chests, hoping for more troops.

I got Archer. I get that I need souls to level it up, but not sure about the traits and other stuff. I see runestones and I've gotten some from chests, but is there a way to farm those elsewhere?
    oh yeah, most guilds just want active players. Make sure to claim your Guild Seals every now and again, you can spend those on Guild Chests.

Traitstones are rewarded for every battle you do, can be crafted at the Soulforge and can drop from all chests. Specific colors drop from specific kingdoms their Explore battles. Specific combinations of a new troop plus other resources come from a weekly Glory deal. Generally those are a good deal for your Glory.

At this point the game is a pretty big clusterfuck of different mechanics, minigames and rewards. When I started out last year I just enjoyed the match3 games and only worried about progress when I got fascinated by the sheer amount of troops to pick from. Thankfully Tacet has frequent videos about all content in GoW.

• Options
    You guys are making me want to get back into this. I left just after soulstone crafting came in.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone have an armada for honkai third impact?

• Options
    I've been playing Gems of War for a little while, and other than matching gems I still don't really know what I'm doing.

Where can you see how much mana a spell costs? I'd think it would be the crystal ball magic icon, but it doesn't seem to be.

Also, where should I be spending my glory wings? This seems like the kind of game where there's a few right places and a bunch of trap pits.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I've been playing Gems of War for a little while, and other than matching gems I still don't really know what I'm doing.
    Don't worry, I recommend you to join any random guild (crazy amount of rewards from that) and then unlock the following kingdoms and do their quests to completion first:
    • Broken Spire gives access to the Arena.
    • Zhul'Kari gives access to the Treasure Hunt
    • Drifting Sands has a Dungeon that can be pillaged.
    • Blighted Lands has the Soulforge that can be used to craft troops, souls, gems and a few other things.

Spend whatever stuff you win and just go from there. The base gameplay of Match3 to build mana to cast spells remains the same throughout the game.
    Where can you see how much mana a spell costs? I'd think it would be the crystal ball magic icon, but it doesn't seem to be.
    Yea so that's a bit of bullshit, but it's an option in the menu to display mana cost: It's under Options-->General.

Also, where should I be spending my glory wings? This seems like the kind of game where there's a few right places and a bunch of trap pits.

Glory is best spent on weekly Glory rewards in the shop (there's a tab called Glory Rewards and the left most package is the best bang for your buck. I recommend you save all your Glory for this.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Ah, thanks!

I've joined a guild. How much effort should I be putting into that? I chip in 1,000 gold on the tasks when I log in and I did attack/defense on the guild war. What do most guilds expect from their members?

This game's events, including the guild tower fight and boss fights, kick my ass. The first level is usually some entry level fight and goes fine, and then it's like 30/70 if I'm able to get through the second level at all. Is that just how it is? I played this a bunch on a flight to & from Taiwan, so I'm up to level 160 now, but it seems like I need a ton of rarer traitstones to make my units much stronger. Or maybe I just picked the wrong ones.

Also, what about the difficulty levels? They seem to make fights significantly more difficult for utterly marginal gains, like 10 souls instead of 7.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Ah, thanks!

I've joined a guild. How much effort should I be putting into that? I chip in 1,000 gold on the tasks when I log in and I did attack/defense on the guild war. What do most guilds expect from their members?

This game's events, including the guild tower fight and boss fights, kick my ass. The first level is usually some entry level fight and goes fine, and then it's like 30/70 if I'm able to get through the second level at all. Is that just how it is? I played this a bunch on a flight to & from Taiwan, so I'm up to level 160 now, but it seems like I need a ton of rarer traitstones to make my units much stronger. Or maybe I just picked the wrong ones.

Also, what about the difficulty levels? They seem to make fights significantly more difficult for utterly marginal gains, like 10 souls instead of 7.
    Eh, most guilds that accept random entrants don't expect much of anything. Guild seals are lucrative, though. So make sure to collect those and spend them on Guild Chests.

By level 160 you should have a whole bunch of Common troops unlocked. Go and check this video for some starter teams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dp_3DIvBto

Traitstones are a bitch to collect, the quickest way is to do Explore battles for kingdoms that share the colors you need, but overall you just need to get lucky.

Difficulty levels are only interesting later on, when you can farm Souls with Valkyrie or The Dragon Soul (and later on, or if you're extremely lucky Pharos Ra). See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Wv7CGJ6r8

Tacet's whole channel is full of in-depth advice, but he is rather wordy. Most of what I know of the game comes from him.

*EDIT: I would pump a lot of resources into my hero and unlock a good Damage class like Assassin or Archer.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks again. Will check out the videos when time permits.

I went Archer because the traits looked good, but Arcane Stealth traitstones only seem to drop in the Forest of Thorns like once every 30 minutes of exploring over and over again. And I need something absurd like 18 of the things. There's got to be a better way, right? Unfortunately my Soulforge needs more leveling up to get there. I keep forgetting to cash in my kills and a ton of them just go to waste. I wish there was a notification for that.

Since you get a free class change every day I'd think there would be some kind of bonus for leveling up multiple classes, but there doesn't seem to be?

• Options
    SMT is getting an Android game.

Which works for me mechanically and narrative wise!

• Options
    Awesome, thanks again. Will check out the videos when time permits.

I went Archer because the traits looked good, but Arcane Stealth traitstones only seem to drop in the Forest of Thorns like once every 30 minutes of exploring over and over again. And I need something absurd like 18 of the things. There's got to be a better way, right? Unfortunately my Soulforge needs more leveling up to get there. I keep forgetting to cash in my kills and a ton of them just go to waste. I wish there was a notification for that.

Since you get a free class change every day I'd think there would be some kind of bonus for leveling up multiple classes, but there doesn't seem to be?

There's not really a rapid way to get traitstones, sometimes the weekly Glory reward has the traitstones you need, that can speed things up. I have forged more than a few in the Soulforge, just because I got sick of the grind. (even with the quick explore team of fully traited Sunbird/Rowanne/Fire Bomb/Fire Bomb it's a slog)

There's no immediate benefit to leveling multiple classes, until you get to the point where you want to use your hero for specific weekly events (like last week had a lot of Dragon stuff, so I swapped my hero class to Dragonguard for that sweet 4xdragon team bonuses)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    SMT is getting an Android game.

Which works for me mechanically and narrative wise!

Yeah, I saw it a while back (its been available in Japan, ofc), and I've been waiting for it to release here. I almost finally tried to learn how to install games from Japan on my phone.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to remake this thread, if anyone else would like to take over OP duties you are welcome to it.

• Options
    Can anyone recommend a Samsung Galaxy S9 case that protects without impeding gaming touches? My right thumb is tender.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Samsung Galaxy S9 case that protects without impeding gaming touches? My right thumb is tender.

How much protection are we talking here? Every day level? Or 100% child, car, and sniper proof?

I'd go with https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Flexible-Herringbone-Protection-Reinforced/dp/B0789S2LZH personally.

7244qyoka3pp.gif