As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[March For Our Lives] Not a gun or school shooting thread

1789101113»

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What's sad is I'm sure there are already editorials being typed up at the NYT about how David Hogg is lower discourse by attacking North over a "resolved" matter. Its the disgusting way he and his class mates have been treated by the people in power "that's nice kids, but we aren't doing anything today so stop being so rude."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    CNN producer with some scary data. I wonder what the difference could possibly be between these countries?

There have been at least 288 school shootings in the United States since January 1, 2009, according to CNN’s data review. https://t.co/yDqXVfyauj

• Options
    What kills me is people always want to rules lawyer shooting stats like that "Oh that was just one person shot" or "no one was killed" which just highlights the point, we have so many shootings in our schools you can rules lawyer what is considered a real one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    CNN producer with some scary data. I wonder what the difference could possibly be between these countries?

There have been at least 288 school shootings in the United States since January 1, 2009, according to CNN’s data review. https://t.co/yDqXVfyauj

I honestly thought it was a lot higher than that.

Or are they going by the NRA definition of "it's not a school shooting if it was on the school playground instead of inside the school and involved a former student instead of a current student and wasn't during school hours and is a third wednesday after a full moon etc."?

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Or are they going by the NRA definition of "it's not a school shooting if it was on the school playground instead of inside the school and involved a former student instead of a current student and wasn't during school hours and is a third wednesday after a full moon etc."?

That is more than 2 a day.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

That is more than 2 a day.
    January 2009, or 3,428 days ago, if I did not mess up.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's a lot of definitions of 'school shooting.' Some people only count it if x amount of people are killed and/or injured, and some people count any instance of a gun being fired on school grounds, regardless of people being hurt or not.

It muddles the discussion and related statistics. That said though, either definition the results are awful.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ah, well I just woke up. My bad.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s the relative difference that matters, so how narrowly defined doesn’t change the point.

Now, how many of those countries have armed teachers?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The first time I’ve ever agreed with Hogg is him condemning the President of the NRA. At least it’s a toothless position, except for visibility. Ol Wayne still runs the show

Surely that's even worse? If the position is just about being a figurehead, then they can't even use his business acumen as a reason to bring him on. All he is is his reputation. His shitty, shitty reputation

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The first time I’ve ever agreed with Hogg is him condemning the President of the NRA. At least it’s a toothless position, except for visibility. Ol Wayne still runs the show

Surely that's even worse? If the position is just about being a figurehead, then they can't even use his business acumen as a reason to bring him on. All he is is his reputation. His shitty, shitty reputation

Yup. If it's a purely ceremonial position that means they literally hired him for nothing more then his reputation and image. Which says far far worse things about the Right and the NRA (but I repeat myself). Cause Hogg is 100% correct about what his image is.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

Yep!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Was a firearm discharged on school grounds?

It's called a school shooting. Rules lawyering is idiotic. As long as all data is gathered using the same criteria, it's valid and equally as horrible and unforgivable.

This shit has been going on since the early 80s. Kids should be pissed off. With access to information and ability to communicate with other kids across the country it's the first time teenagers have a shot at being heard.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There were at least three last Friday alone. Though you'll never hear about the one that happened at my school because it was technically across the street just after dismissal, nobody died, and the victim was black.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

The next event coming up is National Die-In Day at noon on June 12th. Events are already planned in DC (in front of the Capitol), Orlando, NYC, and LA, though I haven't found a map listing all the events and where like with previous protests.

Keeping it in the news and reminding people as media amnesia sets in again and again and midterms approach.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Correction: the next event (now passed) was a die-in at a Publix supermarket to protest the chain donating huge amounts of cash to Adam Putnam, a candidate for governor who is the proudly self-proclaimed "NRA sell out."

The protest turned into a bit of a hullabaloo, but afterward Publix suspended all campaign contributions, including to Putnam, so it worked.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Correction: the next event (now passed) was a die-in at a Publix supermarket to protest the chain donating huge amounts of cash to Adam Putnam, a candidate for governor who is the proudly self-proclaimed "NRA sell out."

The protest turned into a bit of a hullabaloo, but afterward Publix suspended all campaign contributions, including to Putnam, so it worked.

As someone who misses Publix (having moved to an area that doesn't have any), that makes me happy. And I bet it makes my parents, who also love shopping at Publix and still regularly shop there, quite angry. Win-win!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That's amazing

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the United States. -- Porfirio Díaz

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in unsurprising news, someone tried to swat Hogg and his family.

So, I guess murder by cop is okay with these geese now.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Aren't there serious repercussions from doing that? There are right?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

There can be, if the police can figure out who did it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

There can be, if the police can try to figure out who did it.

I have a feeling this will be a wrist-slapping and a shoving under the rug.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

There can be, if the police can try to figure out who did it.

I have a feeling this will be a wrist-slapping and a shoving under the rug.

Well sure, nobody died.

This time.

People have been convicted and gotten serious jail time, based on a cursory Google'ing, but it usually seems to be tied to a fatality, or at least those are the ones that top the search results.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    SWAT teams are trained with an active shooter mindset, and sending one into a place without an active shooter is one of the most risky things I can think of. Not only does it put the family AND the SWAT team in danger, it wastes tons of time and resources detracting from actual crisis.

I hope they find the asshole and they rot in prison. Easily one of my least favorite 'prank' trends I've seen develop on the internet since streaming has become popular.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not a prank, it's attempted murder.

• Options
    Yeah anyone doing it to these kids is trying to kill them with the police. Hell I'd say anyone doing it period is trying to kill people with police since that has happened and its a forseeable outcome in america.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Next on the agenda - a protest "die-in" at the offices of elected officials tied to the NRA:

David Hogg is one of the main reasons this thread exists.

Then there's the summer campaign to get people registered and inform them of the NRA:

The Trace is a nonprofit news organization focusing on gun violence.

Good on them keeping up their work.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Calling SWAT on someone for no reason should be considered attempted murder

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Calling SWAT on someone for no reason should be considered attempted murder

But we as a society would have to acknowledge that our police routinely murder innocent people, which is a bridge too far.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    I guess this is related, since it deals with the Parkland Students.
    The Tony Awards were last night, and they honored the Parkland Drama Teacher.

A bunch of the Parkland kids then did a rendition of Seasons of Love from Rent.

Teacher's Acceptance Speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO6rs9H3soI

Seasons of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srkj63VBSHM

Such a positive message. Go high indeed.