As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A thread presumably about [Giant Bomb]

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Also Brad is leaving.

I’ll miss him, but it sounds like that gig in Columbia was just too fine to pass on. Can’t really blame him.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Also Brad is leaving.

I’ll miss him, but it sounds like that gig in Columbia was just too fine to pass on. Can’t really blame him.

I think this is a running joke, not that he's actually leaving.

It's kinda hard to tell though.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Is the east coast actually fighting each other and fraying each other nerves or is it an act?

I don’t doubt that they get on each other’s nerves at times, but I think they get along just fine, and they’re all good at playing off each other really well.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The state of the comments on that Wizard of Legend quick look:

t8l04owfckh0.png

I haven't watched the quick look yet, so I'm not sure what this is in reference to.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    The state of the comments on that Wizard of Legend quick look:

t8l04owfckh0.png

I haven't watched the quick look yet, so I'm not sure what this is in reference to.

I wonder what kind of things people are saying about it.

steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Austin was asking about the game on Twitter today, joking about how the name of the game is bland but also kinda rad.

It's the game Abby talked about last week on the Beastcast as a roguelike that she isn't quite sure she enjoys because it's a git gud type of game, apparently?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The way the Sony press conference responded to that thing was kind of amazing, it really impressively showed the power of being last and the speed they could turn that around. When I think of the showmanship angle of E3, I think of Sony getting wild applause for saying "yeah games are still on discs you can give to your friends".

liEt3nH.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The great irony being I buy all my PS4 games digitally.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't bought a physical game outside of rare extreme discounts in like 4-5 years.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    the original xbox one reveal was the correct future, the way things are heading anyways, and a world i want to live in. The fact that if I do end up with a disc based copy of the game I have to have the fucking disc in there SUCKS.

stupid gamers, grrrrr

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    the original xbox one reveal was the correct future, the way things are heading anyways, and a world i want to live in. The fact that if I do end up with a disc based copy of the game I have to have the fucking disc in there SUCKS.

stupid gamers, grrrrr

It was, but they needed to use this generation to ease people into it. Instead they dropped a brick on their head with a note that read GET WITH THE TIMES LAME-O. In retrospect, not a good marketing move.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    While xbox had a big get with the times vibe, it also came off as very big brother where you needed a connection periodically? to play your games. I purchase mostly all digital ps4 games, but if I never connect or update a game it only effects multiplayer.

The end result was going to be the same no matter what, but the big difference was users do not trust corporations, and PS at least seemed passively aware of this

PSN SeGaTai
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The Giantbomb xbox app works really well if any of you dudes have a xbox hooked up to your TV
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/p/giant-bomb-video-player/9mtkpkvzh908?wa=wsignin1.0

All premium vids and what not work no problem BUT I've no idea if it supports livestreams as I'm never at home during those.

I can't imagine there will ever be a PS4 player as people can't just write apps for the PS4 like you can with Windows 10/Xbox One

This is my prefered way of watching livestreams when I'm home.

The App had a shitty glitch where if you left a video paused for more than a couple of minutes, it would only play what was cached and then stop, and you'd have to go back and pick the video again. They appear to have fixed it?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Man I hit up redbox on the regular for games. Definitely for stuff like God of War, which I adored, but am good with after playing once. And for stuff like Far Cry 5 when I know damn well I'll get bored three or four hours in but want to check it out regardless.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    The great irony being I buy all my PS4 games digitally.

As a crazy person who still buys books and blu rays sometimes, I have no room to store physical games. So I’m also nothing but digital with games.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

stupid gamers, grrrrr

Eh, the original concept, needing to be online once every 24 hours, followed by Mattrick's "We have a box for people who can't be online that frequently and it's called the Xbox 360" was complete garbage. Especially given the state of internet infrastructure in America. Even where the infrastructure is adequate, people still have to deal with garbage ass telcoms that can leave you without internet for days.

Also, just because the industry seems to be heading in a certain direction doesn't necessarily mean its a good thing, as the modern era of bloating budgets and monetization can attest.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Wasn’t their original position on if you could share games terrible? I’m not sure how it works now but at launch you could not share digital games, or if you could it was very convoluted about authorizations and maybe locking people out of sharing physical discs.

I literally watched the Giant Bomb video about this yesterday and I'm still not sure what teh specifics were.

There was something about being able to put 10 people onto your family list, who could play your games; but I got confused on if they could play the games while you were playing them, or how many could play at once, or if they could play different games.

Here's the video. (Warning, it's 40 damn minutes)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1StPJgWkN-U

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I don't think there were specifics, so much as intentions

the licensing never had to happen so the details never had to be hashed out

i doubt it would have come out in the ideal state

liEt3nH.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The fact that MS did that reveal event without having all of their plans concrete enough so you could ask two different people and get two different answers was stupid. The fact that they didn't lock in that shit before E3 was unforgivable. I can't imagine how much the Xbox hardware and software devs hated those execs for fucking up so badly and so publicly, especially since it meant a ton of crunch to change licensing systems in response to the fallout. Doubly so after Mattrick fucked off to Zynga with a golden parachute while they were left behind trying to save the sinking ship that was only sinking due to him blowing a hole in the hull.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Opty wrote: »
    The fact that MS did that reveal event without having all of their plans concrete enough so you could ask two different people and get two different answers was stupid. The fact that they didn't lock in that shit before E3 was unforgivable. I can't imagine how much the Xbox hardware and software devs hated those execs for fucking up so badly and so publicly, especially since it meant a ton of crunch to change licensing systems in response to the fallout. Doubly so after Mattrick fucked off to Zynga with a golden parachute while they were left behind trying to save the sinking ship that was only sinking due to him blowing a hole in the hull.

i'm sure they'd have loved to announce basically nothing at e3 and pushed it to august after all the details were hammered out, but that's the problem with being strapped down to someone else's timetable i guess. and mattrick wasn't bright enough to just say nothing and hold another event after said details were sorted so instead he said the worst possible things.

that being said it was very bad for the xbox, but i think the neat stuff like play anywhere, game pass, and back compat would never have had a shot with microsoft on top. sony and microsoft both seem pathologically incapable of pushing forward on any consumer friendly paths as long as they're in first. ps3 being a train wreck forced sony to mellow out from their position of extreme arrogance at launch and push stuff like ps plus, and now they've looped back around again.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Wasn’t their original position on if you could share games terrible? I’m not sure how it works now but at launch you could not share digital games, or if you could it was very convoluted about authorizations and maybe locking people out of sharing physical discs.

Current system is that all digital games you own are available to anyone on your home console. Me and my brother set each other's consoles as "home" and have access to every game either one of us owns. We can even play the same game together that was only purchased once. We have to be online to have access to games that aren't owned by the home account but that isn't been an issue for us yet.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    As always, the issue with always online is rarely "do I have internet", it's "are their fucking servers consistently up". And, in a few years' time, "will they continue supporting them or will your library literally die".

[edit] Man, the State of Decay 2 playdate sure is very Brad.
    [edit 2] "I don't feel I made any critical mistakes." Peak Brad.

Glal on
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been pretty interested in State of Decay, but the playdate had almost unsold me on the game. Luckily, Austin put up a video on Waypoint and focused a lot more on the procedural story-telling which has me back in to it.

He really sold the character of Quinn Winslow AKA Doctor Quinn Winslow AKA Socrates AKA The New Plato AKA The Radical Pacifist.

steam_sig.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    At this point it feels like Skinner boxes are the only thing that makes Brad interested in a game any more. Not meant as a slight against SD2, I like the look of it, I dig the idea of managing bases and people, but he only ever seems to proactively engage with games' numbers go up loops these days.

I think Brad has said openly that games could just be a series of colored triangles as long as the mechanics and gameplay are interesting to him.

Which goes a long way to explain his obsession with stuff like Dota and Destiny and I guess PUBG most recently. Very abbreviated mechanical loop repeated forever.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Very abbreviated mechanical loop repeated forever.

Some of the best games ever made are this.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been pretty interested in State of Decay, but the playdate had almost unsold me on the game. Luckily, Austin put up a video on Waypoint and focused a lot more on the procedural story-telling which has me back in to it.

He really sold the character of Quinn Winslow AKA Doctor Quinn Winslow AKA Socrates AKA The New Plato AKA The Radical Pacifist.

Austin is very very good at selling his version of a game that he created in his head because he is an amazing storyteller.

How good the actual game is at creating these stories for you may vary.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I think Brad has said openly that games could just be a series of colored triangles as long as the mechanics and gameplay are interesting to him.

Which goes a long way to explain his obsession with stuff like Dota and Destiny and I guess PUBG most recently. Very abbreviated mechanical loop repeated forever.

As long as the colored triangles were locked at 60fps according to Digital Foundry, of course

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think you're crossing your Shoemaker and Totalbiscuit streams there.

edited May 2018
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I don't disagree with this. I love Diablo to death.

The main problem is that it undersells (to put it in the most generous term possible) the fact that games aren't just mechanics, and that graphics and sound and production value and story and things like that, however polished or unpolished they may be, actually do matter.

It's looking at games through a very narrow scope.

Ceno on
    Yeah, before State of Decay 2 came out, Austin was marveling at character bios in the game that didn't seem to have gameplay consequences, but gave a character way more flavor than other games might

steam_sig.png

Bombcast guest today.
    Patrick!

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    just getting around to listening to friday's beastcast, the entire jeff/"vinny" opening was amazing

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    SCOOPS

steam_sig.png

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I don't disagree with this. I love Diablo to death.

The main problem is that it undersells (to put it in the most generous term possible) the fact that games aren't just mechanics, and that graphics and sound and production value and story and things like that, however polished or unpolished they may be, actually do matter.

It's looking at games through a very narrow scope.

People like games for different reasons. It's okay.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    For any other non Premium Members like myself, there are a few videos that have been unlocked during the sale right now.

Watching Breaking Bad: Super Mario Bros right now.

NNID: Rehab0
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That "pro move" moment that made it into the Mario Facts titled Best Of is really great.

NNID: Rehab0