As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My spoiler was "you are literally doing what you're accusing him of doing and also adding nothing to the discussion"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I took a gamble that the new posts were in regards to DLC announcements. I have no one to blame but myself for clicking on this thread =/

If it's any consolation, jdark, that unspoiler'd bit doesn't really have anything to do with stuff that actually happens in the game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why do I have to play it to have an opinion on just the story after reading the wiki/ watching the ending/ and reading people's opinions about it?
    What does "haha, this thing sucks!" add to the discussion?
    What does commenting on it or lambasting the person add to the discussion either?
    yes I realize how meta this is
    Sorry dude, I don't click spoilers.
    Why do I have to play it to have an opinion on just the story after reading the wiki/ watching the ending/ and reading people's opinions about it?
    What does "haha, this thing sucks!" add to the discussion?
    That's not what he said though.
    I beg to differ:
    After reading spoilers about the ending I can't say that I'm not pleased I didn't buy this game but...

Just kidding!

I'm so glad I didn't buy this game. Fuck Ubisoft's writers and fuck their "both sides" childish bullshit.
    That's his entire post. "This thing sucks, I'm glad I didn't buy it." If he wanted to contribute to the spoilered discussion, there is literally a page full of spoilers right here to do so. Just quote a spoiler and post in there, instead of openly discussing end shit where those of us who haven't beaten the game yet see it.

No it isn't, it was "I'm glad I didn't buy this because I think the ending is insulting trash".

If I HAD bought, played it, and still felt insulted by the ending (or more So because I would have dropped money on it) would that have changed your opinion?

Or was I supposed to spoiler the fact that I think the ending sucks? Im not sure what youre asking for here.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Suuuuper close to beating this finally. Would've beaten this long ago if the coop progress counted for both parties >:[

That, and weapon variety have got to be my only gripes. It felt like within the first couple hours you'd experience pretty much all the weapons. It strangely feels like they thought weapon skins would make up for that?

Otherwise the game is solid. I also thought Primal was more or less poop from a butt so that probably lowered the bar for me.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That, and weapon variety have got to be my only gripes. It felt like within the first couple hours you'd experience pretty much all the weapons. It strangely feels like they thought weapon skins would make up for that?

Yeah the weapon skins were the biggest waste of money, and there were like 5 per gun which is insane.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My spoiler was "you are literally doing what you're accusing him of doing and also adding nothing to the discussion"

Just to add to this discussion: Pointing out that one person in a debate is accusing another person of doing what the accuser is doing while other people are doing the things they are doing and then somebody else points out that the person pointing out that the people accusing other people of doing things that they are doing while doing it to each other and themselves also adds nothing to the discussion.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    (Previous post contains spoilers.)

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

Just to add to this discussion: Pointing out that one person in a debate is accusing another person of doing what the accuser is doing while other people are doing the things they are doing and then somebody else points out that the person pointing out that the people accusing other people of doing things that they are doing while doing it to each other and themselves also adds nothing to the discussion.

please refer to my second spoiler to address this

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I know this is meta but I am avoiding spoilers.

• Options

It address this concept ahead of time, fite me 1v1 mid.

• Options

Being meta mad is against forum rules.

• Options

Being meta mad is against forum rules.

hes_a_madman_futurama.gif

• Options
    Vietnam DLC releases June 5th. You play as Red during his time in Vietnam (he;s the guy who gives you the lighters quest)

No solid dated, but Mars DLC will drop in July and Zombies in August. I bet you play as the weirdo scientist guy in the Mars DLC.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Zombies is from that director guy.

My wife beat it last night when I was asleep. I told her online the ending is controversial and asked if she liked it and after a VERY long pause said yes and I need to finish it ASAP so she can discuss it.

Hopefully can make that happen this weekend!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I finished it last night and...

...I think I liked the end?

I hate the phrase "they didnt earn it" because I think it gets used a lot in place of "I would have written it differently", but this absolutely merits that phrase.

I love the idea of the ending, I love what actually happens, but oh my god they did absolutely nothing to make it feel like it got there.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I just wish there was some sort of indication that it would happen... Other than the radio stations. Which (in my opinion) is a really cool fucking idea, but I almost never drove with the radio on in the game because I was too busy joking around with my buddy.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Far Cry 3 is available now if you have the season pass. Immediate impression was "Wow, this looks way more beautiful than I remember" so I guess they put a decent amount of remaster work into it. The multiplayer mode is absent, as well as some other missing content like the AJM pistol ( :( ) You can get the old preorder bonus mission and some scoped magnum revolver from Club Ubisoft, though.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Ok I just wrote a new ending to Far Cry 5 and I actually think I really like it...? I tried to make it realistic in terms of, I didn't re-write the whole game and I tried to use what is there. I didn't want to be like "Then I'd add a new character" or anything. With a little bit of twisting and a little more dialogue I think it really could have been special.
    I would have first and foremost made the radio stuff way more prominent. I would have made Dutch tell you to make sure you're listening to the radio, or even have him deliver some news. After a mission when he typically calls to check in, "Good job liberating that camp. I just heard a bomb fell on New York...it's nice to know in these times there's still people just trying to do whats right." That kind of stuff.

Now, I would have let the rest of the game go on as intended. After you defeat the last region, same John message - meet me at my church. Here's what I would have changed:

Right away Dutch calls and says congrats on freeing everyone. Now it's time to plan our attack and take down John. He'd ask you to pick up a bus so you can cart the people you trust to the bunker. You'd pick up a school bus, and then I would have spread everyone out a bit. Not all over the map - because that's tedious - but just far enough apart that you'd have to make an effort. Kind of like the end of Persona games when you say goodbye...only in this you have no idea at the moment you're saying goodbye. You'd drive around with the bus and pick up the folks you want, and they'd each be excited as they get on the bus. Really hype you up for the big finale. I'd structure the mission so maybe your crew (the 3 other officers you rescued) are waiting on the bridge over to Dutch's. It would clearly state "Once you've rounded up your fighters, meet up with your officers and head to my bunker."

When you get to the bridge with the officers, a cutscene. You get off the bus, they say lets do this - then the bombs. Exactly the same way. Just chaos out of nowhere and you all scramble back on the bus. Same car chaotic car driving scene. You're frantically racing for Dutch's bunker. Same tree comes down, but in the middle of the bus, cutting you off from everyone sitting in the back. You have no choice but to leave them and head inside the bunker.

Once inside, Dutch is dying. He was outside waiting for you when the blast went off and shrapnel of something has basically taken him out. He pleads with you to stay in the bunker, don't go back out there. I suppose you could, and that'd be a bleak ending - sitting with a dying Dutch. Dutch passes, and you're left alone with a dead Dutch in a bunker, with John's speeches echoing throughout. I would love to put an ending here where you decide to just sit - possibly forever. Maybe like the other endings of inaction (in Far Cry 4), this would be the "secret" ending. Anyway - I would hope and think most players, consumed by the WRATH that this game beat you over the head with - would now want to go back out there and end this. You'd leave the bunker, enter the hellscape, and head to John's church.

At the church John would emerge from a bunker inside, and you'd get a similar speech to the one he gave. That this is all your fault and blah blah blah. I'd make it so that at any point you can just shoot him, and you'd be slapped with the title card and credits. The game would just abruptly end. Because that's it. If you felt like having a big fight, you could LITERALLY replay the fight the game actually gave you. If you let John finish his speech, he could point out that it's possible you're the last 2 people on Earth. What will you do - walk away, and try to find others, and leave him there to rebuild the cult? Or die from radiation? Let him die thinking he "was right"? Is that the noble thing to do - now that nothing matters? Leave him in peace to go find what you can in whats left of the world?

Or do you succumb to the wrath and kill him, even though it's meaningless now. Your friends are all dead, the world is ending - taking his life now accomplishes nothing than making your own self feel better. He deserves it, sure, but you're not saving anyone anymore. Killing him now would do nothing.

And if you choose to try and kill him, he could have some bliss something and throw it in your face, and then you have the identical fight - only you're not reviving your friends. You're hallucinating and fighting off all your friends, and eventually you kill John. And that's it. You're alone, in a nuclear wasteland, world on fire, and everyone is dead.

I think if you're going to go for bleak, go all in. This way at least you're forced a bit to think about what he's saying. It stresses that he's insane, and that what they were going for - that THIS cult just happened to have the timing right and the world IS ending like it "predicted" - but when there's no one to save and nothing to protect, do you murder him anyway?

I dunno, I feel like it at least asks a question or poses a choice which is worth discussing, instead of the ending we got.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I feel like if I need to go two meta levels deep in order to make an ending make a directed sense, then I have to wonder if I'm not just making it up entirely in the same way that you can find anagrams for anything if you look hard enough.
    If the real purpose of the ending is for the player to rage against the cinematic that is presented in which a big event happens which invalidates all sense of agency and importance of everything else, and the villain gets his monologue which is framed and shot to glorify his position such that us as the player have to yell back saying "YOU'RE WRONG!" then that's quite a thing to try to pull.

And if that's literally the best justification any of us can come up with for how this ending represents quality auteur vision, then I dunno what to say except that that's a lot of money and time and skilled labor to spend on a practical joke that could've been accomplished in an entirely way that would've been easier to comprehend. And I don't mean that we have to come away with a didactic message of author's world view, but every attempt to make more sense of it than just accepting what is shown at face value feels like we're going way out of our way to concoct that explanation, and the leaps of reasoning are large enough that we could leap in all kinds of directions and make up any explanation we want.

In the end, if the writers just wanted to tell us that they totally loved the ending for Hotline Miami 2, they might as well have gone all the way and done what Hotline Miami 2 does when you start a new game after having cleared it once:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty3AZwgUOdc

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    The Vietnam DLC is only OK IMO. No real story, you can run straight to the end if you want.

Very stealth focused, with 4 stealth perks that you get for performing stealth kills. Crouch running, auto marking enemies, etc. If you break stealth you lose them, but you can get them back with more stealth kills. You can ambush enemies with loud weapons, as long as you don't get noticed (the white meter filling up) you wont lose your perks.

The only main objective is to get to the point marked on the map for extraction, but you have three buddies you can save if you choose too. They can die permanently though, so I think I'm going to wait until I complete all the other side stuff before I free them.

Other activites include:

Destroying AA guns (this allows you to call in airstrikes with your binoculars)
    Clearing NVA camps (only 9 of em)
    Destroying propaganda speakers
    Finding lighters (this guy and his damn lighters...)
    Eliminating VIPs
    Freeing South Vietnamese POWs

Map's roughly the size of 2 territories in Hope County. All in all, not bad for $12 I think. I'm sure the Zombie and Mars DLCs will be more interesting, though.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    yeah was pretty dull. Hopefully the other two are more fun. This one just felt like a quick mod.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I really like it, the jungle and stealth focused reminded me of Wildlands and I loved the shit out of that. I played for just about 2 hours or so, so not fully explored it, but I had a lot of fun fucking up stealth in coop. :p

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Played through the DLC last night, and honestly, was kinda bored. Felt like I was constantly having to go back and forth across the map, and airstrikes never worked when I needed them. I never used any teammates, as they weren't really useful. Just unassigned them as soon as I rescued them.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man I hate everything happening in Faith's area. To be fair, I hate it only marginally more than the first guys area (Jon maybe?) But far cry has always had a stupid obsession with drug trip missions that area not fun, and they're really leaning into it here for a big anti fun payoff.

I really dislike everything about the story so far this time around. Content, execution, top to bottom.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Man I need this game on the PC. It's completely unbearable for me on PS4.

• Options
    Man you and I have radically different definitions of unbearable

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Runs great on my Ps4 Pro *shrugs*

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man I hate everything happening in Faith's area. To be fair, I hate it only marginally more than the first guys area (Jon maybe?) But far cry has always had a stupid obsession with drug trip missions that area not fun, and they're really leaning into it here for a big anti fun payoff.

I really dislike everything about the story so far this time around. Content, execution, top to bottom.

In a shocking twist im sure no one saw coming the story continued to be abysmal, and then got worse, and then the ending can go fuck itself. Far Cry has always had shit stories married to fun gameplay, but the previous stories were ignorable enough for the games to be enjoyable on balance. The gameplay is pretty stagnant at this point and this story was just some next level tedious unpleasant bullshit, so I guess maybe I'm done with far cry games?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man you and I have radically different definitions of unbearable

The frame rate is so bad for me! I dunno why, maybe I need to clean the PS4 out. I should watch some YouTube clips of it running on PS4s to see if it's normal and I'm just being funny about it after gaming on the PC.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    The Mars DLC is instantly better than the Vietnam one.

Surprisingly you play as Nick Rye, and it's Hurk's fault (because of course it is) you end up on Mars. There appears to be a version of radio towers because "not everything on Mars is advanced as it is in Montana". Somewhat disappointingly, there is only a pistol, a rifle, and a shotgun. There's three variations of each, but they all look the same apart from paintjobs =/

Mars looks great, though. Map seems to be as big as Vietnam, and the alien arachnids look cool.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    For real, Hours of Darkness was some phoned-in crap, but actual effort went into Lost on Mars. There's spacesuit upgrades you can unlock like "space wings" and you immediately find a jetpack that also makes you immune to fall damage. Also robot companions are your guns for hire.

• Options
    Apologies for the triple post, but this is important.

Clutch Nixon has apparently been to Mars!

Also I was wrong about the weapons. The different variations do different things. Like, my laser beam pistol is now the Morphinator, and it can turn enemies into cows or chickens.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Yup, I was scratching my head when I found a Clutch Nixon plate on Mars.

Hurk is still fantastic!

“Man, the last time I had to climb such a thing was in Kyrat” :lol:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    The Mars expansion is worth it for Hurk’s comments alone :biggrin:

“Are you sure that is my right leg, and not my junk? Cos they’re the same size!”

“I don’t care what’s it called, I keep calling it space jizz”

And the stories about his prom and his band, and...

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    arakis99arakis99 Registered User regular
    Can someone convince me this game is worth it on sale (GMG), 57 bucks for the gold edition, that ends tomorrow? You have 15 minutes. No rush. :) ;-)

• Options
    Some good Far Cry: New Dawn info. It's essentially a Far Cry 5 sequel but was designed to be a stand-alone experience, so playing FC5 isn't necessary but it helps.

You won't spend the whole game in Montana either, you apparently make expeditions to other parts of the US as well. Also once you take an outpost, you can send the people staffed there out to collect resources for you. This lets the enemies reclaim the outpost for you to take again if you wish, only now it's full of harder enemies.

Animal buddies and Guns for Hire make a return, including Nick Rye's now 17 year old daughter.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    In pretty burnt out on the series at this stage. Far cry 5 tested my patience, the story and characters were excruciating, I'll never buy another one at full price again, which was my own stupid fault. I'll check this out down the line when it's cheaper

Prohass on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I’m in. The story in 5 was utter garbage, but the game was just so much fun to play.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I’m in. The story in 5 was utter garbage, but the game was just so much fun to play.

I think that's the bottom line. Whether you liked the story or not (I liked it personally, but whatever), it's hard to argue that the gameplay itself was a fucking riot. Hopefully New Dawn doesn't take itself too seriously and leans into the crazy a bit like Blood Dragon did.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I'd be in it for the art style alone even if I didn't like FC5's story. I thought it was alright, not great, but not terrible. About as good as the previous two numbered games. They really should've made it impossible to miss those super easy to miss important story bits, though.

New Dawn's neon/pastel visual look is super appealing. It looks like Rage 2 but with a lot more green.