As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    "Lets settle this with a children's miniatures game!"

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »

Children are a big market, seems pretty similar to what the Marvel franchise is doing these days.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If a YA book doesn't have genocide, xenophobia and atrocities in the background/foreground then it's not really a YA adult book. So the 40k verse seems like a good fit for YA stories.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Are they books or game books?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Book books.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Baby's First Exterminatus

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    If a YA book doesn't have genocide, xenophobia and atrocities in the background/foreground then it's not really a YA adult book. So the 40k verse seems like a good fit for YA stories.

Usually it's not the good guys doing them though o_O

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Just picked up the Bloodborne expansion. Only $15.

Looks like a real improvement. New cards really seem to ramp up the risk/reward factor. A lot of cards that make it more dangerous or more rewarding to carry around more unbanked blood. One final boss gives the persistent effect that every time a monster dies, the player with the lowest health gets a bonus, giving an incentive to risk death hovering at low health. A bunch of regular monsters with varied escape effects, which I imagine would lead to a lot of instance where hunters are tempted to let monsters escape to dick over other players.

Just a lot of new cards in general. Tons of new equipment and monsters. EIGHT new final bosses!!

MrBody on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Usually it's not the good guys doing them though o_O

That assumes that 40k has good guys.

• Options
    The books are taking a different perspective on the Imperium. The protagonists are a deserter (sentenced to death), an inventor (invention is a heresy), and a captain who hates weapons (have you seen the Imperium?). There's no way any of them fit into the Imperium. They're YA rebels.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    The Imperium in 40k is extremely not the 'good guys'.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Race For The Chinese Zodiac.

I don't think anybody guessed that one :P

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Thanks all for suggestions. Hopefully something will work out.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    A giant edition of Azul is available for pre-order, but they want $300 for it. Bah!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    A giant edition of Azul is available for pre-order, but they want $300 for it. Bah!

Could you buy actual ceramic tiles for cheaper?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Just the thought of ceramic tiles scraping together in a large bag sets my teeth on edge.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Quickest way to make an over-produced abstract game more over-produced? MAKE IT BIGGER.
    eyeroll
    Seriously, am I the only person who doesn't enjoy Azul at all? :S

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    You might be. It's delightful.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Geez, I've been holding off on Azul because I have far too many games but maybe I should find an opportunity to try it.

In other news Concordia is still great, and I have a 6 player game of TI4 lined up this Saturday!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I liked Azul quite a bit. Only one of my usual group hasn't liked it much so far. It's simple but fun, with enough strategy to satisfy. I'd probably go so far as to call it elegant :D

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I guess, like ...
    - I find it way too dry for how straightforward it is.
    - It generally feels like fucking people over is frequently ideal, but that doesn't feel fun to do.
    - You spend the least time looking at your own board.
    - You're all making exactly the same thing.

You know, thinking about it, there's a lot of overlap with Sagrada, which I also don't enjoy. They both make a pool of resources you take turns drafting from, and are mostly looking at what you can do now that lets you still play later while minimizing the same options to everyone else playing. Hmmm ...
    I guess I just recommended Sagrada to everyone that likes Azul?

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Oh for fuck's sake
    “Axis & Allies and Zombies takes the beloved World War II strategy classic Axis & Allies and adds a fun alternate history twist with streamlined gameplay, curveballs like chainsaw tanks and zombie mind control rays, and a zany storyline strategy fans everywhere will enjoy.”

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I thought we were done with the "and zombies" phase of product spam.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    We tried to be done with zombies but they kept coming back.

• Options
    I am here to announce my new kickstarter campaign: it's based on an old 80s license...with zombies! And lots of minis. And it's a legacy game! With stickers!

Investors welcome to help me bring my money printing machine to life.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I just learned that the Xenoshyft app autosaves every phase, so you can continue after it crashes. I still have yet to make it through 1 1/2 rounds where the whole thing doesn't crash...

Good lord how the hell are you supposed to beat this thing? I've only made it past round 3 of 9 one time after fifteen attempts. It just seems mathematically impossible. You're hopelessly boned by the end of round 2 and there really aren't many decisions to make at that point so I have no clue what I'm supposed to do differently. There's about 3 bugs that are game over if you don't have their counter, you can only afford 1 counter, and you don't know which bugs are coming up.

And this is on easy! Ghost Stories has nothing on this game's ridiculous difficulty.

I'd need to see what you're doing vs what cards are available for purchase to be able to offer advice, but yes, the game's difficulty does not feel very good. The base has some number of HP, but your survival can feel binary: if anything gets through, you're probably either dead or about to be. On the other hand, if you're doing well enough that you're retaining troops in lane from one round to the next, you're probably crushing the game and are going to have an easy victory.

Are the available cards supposed to change? They've all been the same every game I've tried, no matter the division I'm playing.

Ranger is the only available wave 1 trooper. Equipment is pulsar armor, booster injection, medical shuttle, titan armor, void mine, med pack, MKII assault rifle, scout drones, templar armor.

Command Center seems by far the best division no contest. You get your choice of two 3 value cards; the other cards just give you a forced two 2 value cards.

The troops available should be the same every game (Ranger for Wave 1, Storm Trooper + Field Medic + Paratrooper for Wave 2, etc.), unless there are expansions or promo cards in play. The slate of purchasable items is like Dominion, there are lots of different options that should be getting randomized every time for a new experience. Maybe there's something glitchy about the app, or you have a demo version or something?

I don't remember all of the item cards by title (been a LONG time since I've looked at my physical copy), but from what I can remember, those are pretty much all of the worst cards to have as your available bank. I wrote a review of the cards in the base game + kickstarter promos on BGG way back when. Some of the cards and card text may have changed between kickstarter, retail release, and/or any versions of the app, so if any of that reads like nonsense, my apologies :P For that bank, I would probably go for some Templar armors early, and maybe some assault rifles (don't remember what those do) and medpacks, but I would not expect the game to go well.

One thing I noticed is that you have rated the divisions by what starting cards they get. This might be influenced by the bank you've been playing with, and the fact you've been having trouble getting out of Wave 1. For me, the most important thing about the divisions is the abilities they grant you, particularly in Wave 2. Command Center is still one of the best ones, just not necessarily for the reason you said. :P I know the card text of the divisions changed significantly between the base game and Dreadmire, and we playtested several versions for Dreadmire as well, so I have no idea what versions ended up in Dreadmire or the app, and could be talking out my ass here.

In any case, if you're playing just a single lane, know that you're playing the hardest mode of the game. The game does not scale correctly with player count: the amount of enemies and base HP scales linearly with players, but adding more players increases your opportunities for synergy and to have instants prepared, so you can deal with enemies in an efficient manner much more frequently, which makes the game much easier. Plus you can use the base's HP as a resource much more, setting up powerful lanes filled with repeatable effects (e.g. Storm Troopers!) at the cost of other lanes.

• Options
    What's the best player count?

• Options
    Tried Terraforming Mars for the first time. It was okay. I wouldn't seek out a game of it, but would happily go along if it was all a Euro gamer would want to play.

I don't think I would ever play with the advanced stuff, corps, or expansions though. Tilts the complexity too far into the red.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Tiny Epic Western last night. I pretty much judge it like I judge TEQuest. Too fiddly and not particularly fun. The poker hand bit was nice, but working out where the hands were coming from to compare for each round was never particularly intuitive. It probably suffered from a poor rules explanation but I’m not left enthused to try any more Tiny Epics.

Ethnos however continues to be a great game. Varied, interesting, and easy to grasp rules for new players.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I am here to announce my new kickstarter campaign: it's based on an old 80s license...with zombies! And lots of minis. And it's a legacy game! With stickers!

Here are a few sure hits!
    Twilight Struggle and Zombies

Hanabi and Zombies

Ticket To Ride and Zombies

Captain Sonar and Zombies

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: World War Z crossover

Zombie Chess (One side has all pawns and if they take a piece it becomes a pawn too) (Actually I'd play that once)

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Dixit and Zombies
    Zombiiies and Zombies
    Zombies of Catan
    Race for the Zombies

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Still too risky. Can you add blockchain?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    What's the best player count?

Probably either two or three. IMO four is too easy, and six (using the 5-6 player expansion I foolishly bought during the kickstarter) is right out.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Astaereth wrote: »

Off The Blockchain: the hottest game of the year, sweeping the awards! You are each a small computer program, tasked with travelling through the information superhighways and keeping ledgers updated all around the world. But -- uh oh! -- there's concerted multinational hacking attempt to corrupt them, better work fast! If the bad guys successfully corrupt the ledgers, EVERYBODY loses. Gain "vcoins" by updating ledgers quickly; whoever ends up with the most vcoins, wins!

Ha, keep it going, someone add zombies.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

Off The Blockchain: the hottest game of the year, sweeping the awards! You are each a small computer program, tasked with travelling through the information superhighways and keeping ledgers updated all around the world. But -- uh oh! -- there's concerted multinational hacking attempt to corrupt them, better work fast! If the bad guys successfully corrupt the ledgers, EVERYBODY loses. Gain "vcoins" by updating ledgers quickly; whoever ends up with the most vcoins, wins!

Ha, keep it going, someone add zombies.
    The hackers are zombies.
    It's like, a metaphorical commentary on how we're slaves to technology and essentially walking dead with no souls.
    But then the third legacy packet in the game forces you to bite each other and everyone actually is a zombie afterwards.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh this sounds very good indeed
    The Mind is so profoundly uninteresting to me. I had an enjoyable experience when I tried it, but it's a parlor trick. I don't understand how it would bring anyone back to try again. And it's simple, not in a "how did I think of that" way, but in a "thousands of other people must have thought of this but realized there was no point in publishing it" way. I just don't get it.

Of course I'm happy that people are finding fun there, but I really hope it does not win SdJ. The emperor has no clothes.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I've played it three or four times and had loud, shouty fun every time.

This discussion has been closed.