As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[State of Decay 2] Coming soon: "Forever" Communities?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't understand that part... A Microsoft account has effectively been an Xbox Live account for a while now.

Anyhoo, via Reddit, one of the unique weapons that can be found ingame:
    gjImfAr.jpgDUsGIBO.jpg

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I had the MS account. . . however when I logged in it had a username for it that I would have never chosen.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    It may have been randomly generated? You should be able to change it to something you desire for free if it was a system generated one at this link. It's been a long time since I've done that so IDK if cycling random names it provided would count as choosing a name. I think it used to do that? IDK. That's the link though.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I can not believe that there is an even more dog shit storefront than Steam.

Uplay: "Hold my beer."

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    So uhh... re: tutorial mission on NPC followers
    After clearing out the area, they were all "I know where the blood plague zombies are!" And went off in a direction while I went to get my vehicle. They never came back? Is that normal?

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Hmm...
    Probably. You'll know that a mission is complete (for you) when you get influence/standing and it no longer appears in the top right corner of the screen. The objective will usually be "follow them" if they aren't actively following you. But if there's nothing up there, the mission is done.

If you bring up the map, it has a list of potential and active missions. Missions with a timer will explicitly expire at the end, missions w/o a timer may randomly expire if you take too long (usually hours IRL). The black diamonds are missions you don't have "pinned", orange diamonds are pinned/active.

Note: try to avoid following NPCs after a mission when they run off because they will get you wrecked and possibly die themselves. They seem to fare better fighting off screen than on screen when alone a lot of times.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Started playing this on GamePass last night. Just like the first one, I enjoy the premise, a lot. It's my kind of thing. Scavenging for resources to build up a base to go further afield and scavenge more resources. Love the loop.

Also like the first one the art quality is questionable and the game runs like trash...yikes. How does something with this art quality run so poorly on the One X? I'm going to try it on PC tonight, since I think I can use Play Anywhere with GamePass.

I'm actually willing to give the developers 30 bucks to own it permanently, because I really do enjoy the loop of these games...but damn the performance is just horrid.

That aside, anyone doing co-op yet? We should get a co-op list going.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    what's questionable about the art style, or rather what don't you like about it? I mean, there is a face on one of the guys that I'm fairly sure I've seen in another game or maybe even a TV show... it's that uncanny... but I can't place what game yet... but outside of that, idk.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Anyone playing on a regular XBone or a One S? All I keep seeing is that it doesn't run so great on the 1X which worries me about its performance on the base console.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Anyone playing on a regular XBone or a One S? All I keep seeing is that it doesn't run so great on the 1X which worries me about its performance on the base console.

We have a 1X and I play primarily on PC, but watched Waffles play through some on the xbox and it seemed fine?

• Options
    I've been playing it on an xbox one x and it runs okay.

Hairiest combat situation I've been in was an open garage with my truck nearby, 10-15 zombies in immediate area and more incoming with 3 NPCs and a Jugg also fighting, and it didn't appreciably drop. All I had was a pistol and no crowd-clearing abilities and it was awful, but yeah.

Driving really fast you do run into fade in for some larger obstacles in the distance, but not like buildings and such. It's also generally far enough ahead that you can react and maneuver properly.

Turning the camera very fast while moving does occasionally cause slow down, but that's expected behaviour (to me) in most games.

• Options
    what's questionable about the art style, or rather what don't you like about it? I mean, there is a face on one of the guys that I'm fairly sure I've seen in another game or maybe even a TV show... it's that uncanny... but I can't place what game yet... but outside of that, idk.

It looks like the art is for a last gen game. That's what I mean by questionable. It's not great art. That's not knocking Undead Labs, I know they are a small team without the resources to do super fancy next gen graphics...but that combined with the performance is a head scratcher. Generally less demanding art assets lead to better frame rates...but on the 1X right now it's chuggy as hell. Consistently drops below 30 frames.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    If anyone else is playing on PC and despises motion blur as much as I do, here's how to turn it off:
    "The file you’re looking for is called GameUserSettings.ini and you’ll find it in /Users/your_username/App Data/Local/Packages/Microsoft.Dayton_1.3137.99.2_x64/Local State/State of Decay 2/Saved/Config/UWP/. Once you’ve found (and backed up) the file, open it in Notepad. If you want to disable motion blur, you should look for the lines containing MotionBlurQuality, PostProcessQuality, and DOFQuality. Set the value of each of these to 0. In theory, changing the first one should suffice, but it doesn’t always to the trick. Save the file and run the game, and everything should be in order."

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    /Users/your_username/App Data/Local/Packages/Microsoft.Dayton_1.3137.99.2_x64/Local State/State of Decay 2/Saved/Config/UWP/

Holy shit, Microsoft... :o

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    /Users/your_username/App Data/Local/Packages/Microsoft.Dayton_1.3137.99.2_x64/Local State/State of Decay 2/Saved/Config/UWP/

It's positively absurd that you can't turn it off in the menu. Very glad I'm not playing it on xbone if only for that reason.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

It's positively absurd that you can't turn it off in the menu. Very glad I'm not playing it on xbone if only for that reason.

I wonder if they basically only have one production branch for the code, with different build targets for platforms, so they couldn’t put PC-centric options in yet because it would end up in the Xbone version as well.

Note: I have never worked with Unreal Engine so I don’t know if there is a lot more involved in building for different platforms

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    This reddit thread has a list of other tweaks you can do, too. I increased the FOV and turned off lens flare, myself.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Can't say it's a problem for me personally, nor can I find the tweet or other notification (you'd have to dig around the SoD reddit for it), but I think they mentioned they are aware that some people are having difficulties with the motion blur and the like and would be doing a setting or some direct means of disabling it.

"Disable/enable motion blur" isn't really a PC-centric setting though. There are a few console games that do FOV sliders too now.

How can you play without lens flare?

• Options
    Put it this way, I almost had to put sunglasses on during the tutorial :P

The game has some "classic" open-world/GTA jank.
    I let the follower-tutorial NPC join my community and she's talking about the leadership feature, etc. I'm getting in my vehicle to get to the next mission and she's joining me. Until she's done with her dialog anyway. At that point, she does a tuck-and-roll out the side ("wtf? Did that really happen? Let me reverse and try to pick her up again.") and jogs back to base. Oookay. :lol:

I'm enjoying the game, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't feel like a game that was released in 2018.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I wonder if they basically only have one production branch for the code, with different build targets for platforms, so they couldn’t put PC-centric options in yet because it would end up in the Xbone version as well.

Note: I have never worked with Unreal Engine so I don’t know if there is a lot more involved in building for different platforms

Who knows. I mean, the PC version has resolution settings and stuff, so I imagine they're somewhat different.

Anyway, this game seems like a real clunker so far. I really enjoyed the first one but I don't know if I have the patience for this level of jank right now.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Plague Hearts are durable. I'm currently stockpiling to handle my second one, and it's ridiculous how much ammo and explosives they take.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Finally got to dig into this for a while. It's exactly what I wanted it to be after my bazillion hours in SoD1. Very happy.

Personally, I think it's quite pretty (on max/ultra settings), and no performance issues here so far. Runs buttery smooth for me.

I foresee spending a lot of hours with this, oh yes I do. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    Plague Hearts are durable. I'm currently stockpiling to handle my second one, and it's ridiculous how much ammo and explosives they take.
    each time you kill one, the others all get stronger.
    after taking down 4 or 5 I am finding the next in the sequence very durable and able to spawn an alarming number of blood zombies

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yep. Plague Hearts are also the one place you should drop the heavies too. You needn't worry too much about the extra adds because the majority of them will get vaporized when the heart dies.

but if you don't have hheavies or want to play it safe, the spawns are triggered by HP thresholds.

edit: also don't destroy all the plague hearts w/o assigning a leader for your community first.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I'm one mission away from completing my legacy. All plague hearts done on the map. Hopefully get to do when I finish work in the morning.

I have to say helping out other NPC survivors/enclaves has helped me dramatically. The care packages you can get dropped for little influence in a quick radio call normally have some useful loot.

The most irritating bug I have encountered frequently is my AI partner rather than sticking with me just legging off in a blind rage. Austin had the same problem on his Waypoint stream and I hope they fix it.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Kinda bummed, my poor Sheriff failed to do her job at peacekeeping miserably, then may have overcompensated in correcting the situation. But... the enclave that took the base that I had been eying earlier is... no longer occupying it. Or this mortal coil. So now I'm debating moving from the police station to there or to the farm.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Hey, what does the thermometer meter above the minimap mean? I have two characters with that bar and icon there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    That's their Infection meter. If it maxes, they pick up Blood Plague.

It goes down through rest and special actions at the Infirmary.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    So if I leave them in base for a while, that meter goes away?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

Do you have a level 2 infirmary? If so, yes.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    So I'm at the point of hitting the maximum caps of the game in a playthrough.
    I was wondering what the maximum settler cap is.
    Had 10 settlers, and noticed I didn't have anyone who could use computer skills, so one of the 3 business men picked up from random events had to go.
    Went to invite a person with no skills, thinking they'd be a good blank state, and the game told me I was still at the maximum capacity.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I had someone I picked up with the trait "Loser" or some such, she had a couple skills with no progress and two skills with one level in them, and she started fights all the time. I guess be on the lookout for anyone with suspiciously low skills.

• Options
    yeah, there are NPCs with more negative traits than positive ones, or that potentially can start fights all the time. but, they can have high skills too.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I’m new to State of Decay, and I’m finding the core loop to be quite compelling – enough that I am prepared to overlook the jank and uninspired graphics. I have had a couple of bugs, mostly zombies getting tangled on each other and some piece of the environment, which makes them immune to melee – but shooting one has so far resolved the problem. I think I may have hit an invisible Bloater - it was night, but I had my headlights on and I feel like those dudes are pretty hard to miss. Also, some parts of my UI started flickering after a few hours of play. I’m on the original Xbone and so far I haven’t seen any noticeable performance drops.

I’m still in the starter base – do more advanced bases/facilities have more than one mod slot? I found a slow cooker - but I can’t run it without power, and there isn’t room for both the cooker and the bike generator.

I got super lucky and managed to find a white phosphorous grenade very early. Dropped it on the first plague heart then bonked red-eyes while waiting for the WP to dissipate. One tap from a sledgehammer and splat - Mission Complete!

On the subject of deadweight survivors: my post-tutorial recuit, Jarlo, was the sort of buffoon who had no business still being alive: a total of one skill star (in Fighting) and the “Pack Rat” trait, which meant he took up an extra bed. He was effectively two worthless people in one. I couldn’t find a way to exile him (I guess that’s reserved for Blood Plague victims?), so I instead took him on a very long supply run – and about 40 minutes later, the silly bugger finally made good.

As Jarlo, weak from blood loss, ploughed his burning SUV into a heavily-infested barn , I reflected on the many rucksacks he’d secured, the dozens of zeds he’d run down, and the coffee stand he’d made into a forward outpost. As zombies pulled him from his seat and rent his flesh, I thought about the NPC scavenger he’d helped and the near-mint condition Utility Truck he’d brought back to base. And as the newly-zombiefied Jarlo staggered upright just in time to be shredded by its own exploding vehicle, I nodded somberly and said, “That’ll do, Pig. That’ll do.”

I also got to experience human v. human violence – and it was more brutal than I expected. Spoiled for prose:
    After taking Jarlo on his final ride, I decided to advance the ambitions of Anderson, the soldier from Camp Osprey. He has a vision of a frontier society governed by simple laws and swift justice. So when we heard about some medicine being stolen, Anderson set out to investigate. Every sheriff needs a deputy, so Anderson enlisted Kyle (the non-fuck up half of the Best Buddies starter pair who had put in some good work and was an early favorite of mine).

Anderson found the aggrieved survivors (the self-styled “Looters”) in a busted-up gas station. The woman in charge, Wanda, was furious not only about the theft but also the beating that her best friend Coli has endured during the robbery. Anderson suggested trying to negotiate a peaceful resolution with the perpetrators, a small gang called “The Soul Eaters”. Wanda agreed to come along.

The Soul Eaters were sheltering in a storehouse a little ways down the road. The leader, a no-nonsense woman named Mackenzie, stood flanked by her goons Grant and Truck. Anderson asked that the stolen meds be returned – and to his surprise, Mackenzie immediately acquiesced, dumping a rucksack on the ground. But when Anderson went to claim the bag, the Soul Eaters suddenly drew down – it was a trap!* Gunfire erupted inside the storehouse as everyone opened up on each other at point-blank range. Wanda and Mackenzie killed one another in the first few seconds, and Anderson emptied his shotgun into Grant before the other man could bring his AR-15 to bear. A shot from Truck’s rifle staggered Anderson as he fumbled in his pocket for more shells. Kyle tried to intervene, but was sent reeling by a vicious kick from Truck - who followed up by shooting Kyle twice before caving in his skull with a bat. Anderson’s return fire took off the back of Truck’s head – but it was too late. Kyle was already shrieking and convulsing as he turned, and the would-be sheriff could do naught but give his former friend the mercy of a quick death.

Returning to the gas station, Anderson relayed the bad news to Coli, and offered her a place with his group. Their shared sadness over the disastrous outcome with the Soul Eaters united them – at least for now.

*or possibly a bug. But the story is better this way

(low key, Coli is a beast. She had four advanced skills right out of the gate!)

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    To exile survivors, bring up the community screen, go to that person and press (or hold) “y” in console. you should get a prompt.

You may not be able to exile them if they are the active character?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Is there an animation or cutscene when you exile someone? I assume not, but I would love it if it actually showed the rest of your crew escorting Joe Awful to the safehouse door and kicking him out into the wild...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    IIRC... In SoD 1, they got upset and walked off after you showed them the door. Then they would start their own enclave nearby and eventually die on their own because of you.

• Options
    Note: Certain buildings/areas have resources that infinitely respawn. One example:
    In front of the Dirty Bird Expresso in Meagher Valley is a police car. I've taken it and abandoned it in several places and it shows up, new, after a period of time.

• Options
    This definitely runs much better on PC. Still a bit chunky at times at 4K, but much better. Now to turn the motion blur off...

• Options
    edited May 2018
    f3rret wrote: »

Do you have a level 2 infirmary? If so, yes.

So, I think that the infection meter heals with only a level 1 infirmary. You can upgrade to heal wounds that remove max health, but I think if people stay in base while the infirmary is active, the infection meter goes down. I'm trying to confirm this.

EDIT: Confirmed! Level 1 infirmary heals that infection meter.

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png