As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash]: New New Season

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The one good thing about this season is they didn't wait until forever to reveal who the villain was. But aside from season 1, they still have a habit of making the main villain seem impossibly invincible, which gets old very quickly. Reverse Flash was the only villain who had a human motivation, rather than a total God complex. He was just a guy who hated Barry but who needed Barry to go home. Simple.

Legends has basically decided that the main villain doesn't matter and they should just embrace the silliness of the plot. And the show has been a lot better for it.

Arrow is the opposite of Legends. The show is consistently depressing. But unlike the Flash, the situation is dire because of the rampant corruption more than anything else. Which is a lot more realistic in the age of Trump. It also does a lot more social commentary.

Supergirl is another show that realized that the main villain doesn't really matter, but they focus on character drama, rather than comedy.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Going through the list of Flash Villains, I can't see any that jump out at me.

The best option would be the Rogues and some intricate plot that is woven through the season but I wouldn't count on it. I'm wondering if they'll have Wells turn heel at the end. It'll be like season one but with Wells pulling all the strings.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Meta of the week, hopefully.

The comic misadventures of Manshark!

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t mind seeing more “Barry training [sidekick]” plots while dealing with goofier silver age antics, maybe culminating with less of an existential threat and more of a literally too many crimes at once to stop them all plot. Barry constantly under pressure and snapping at people is a bummer, but a Barry that’s got enthusiasm about an up-and-comer still has potential. I really like Ralph and hate that so much angst leaked into that plot-line.

Once again the show has led to me reading more Mark Waid Flash comics, and the appeal of the character is always the raw joy of being a superhero. There’s a line in the most recent collection that’s something like, “Man, I guess if I had all the tragedy of these other superheroes I’d probably be a cynical, glum asshole too. But I don’t, and that’s great, because I’m the Flash!”

The drama is more centered around two things: his shitty ability to deal with relationships because he enjoys his job so much, and the very rare scenario where he has to make a choice between two exclusive, heroic actions. Not constant brooding external threats. His biggest villains show up and he’s excited because he gets to showboat while he deals with them.

I still really enjoy the show, and Waid was writing Wally West and not Barry Allen, but I do think that sense of fun is what’s too often missing and what made the first season such a stand-out.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    The thing that has pissed me off at this current season is how many of Flash’s Rouges they are burning through in sacrifice to the Thinker arc. While they may not have been good enough for season long arcs, a two or three episode arc during the season would have sufficed.

I was much happier to have speedster villain again over this crap with the Thinker.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The Flash could do with a new showrunner(s) as well. You create an entire episode and a different segment in another episode based around how Flash has infinite time to do whatever the fuck he feels like and effectively freeze time. Yet he can never catch DeVoe. Never. He can zip people away at the speed of light, but he can't zip all the metas away.

It's written by idiots.

I'd have introduced DeVoe later personally. Bring in Ralph, spend the first half of the season making him into a hero, while dealing with the metas, who end up in their Flash Storage Drive underneath their base. Have hints of DeVoe here and there, and maybe an underling introduced early on to team Flash who can betray them just over the halfway mark where DeVoe is revealed when he assaults a completely unsuspecting Flash HQ, and steals the metas powers, revealing he has been using Flash to collect them all in one place, because his condition only allowed him to make one assault successfully. The Metas survive but are comatose, so you're not screwing a load of Rogues over.

That way at least it isn't dragged out over the entire season, and they can skip the court part entirely. Having the Metas imprisoned would let Flash talk to them more often as well to build up a relationship so their failure feels like it matters more, and this one single assault means one big failure rather than tonnes of large failures.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I know "just do a crossover" can't always be the answer for a lot of reasons but I feel like when the badguy is threatening, literally, every human on Earth and you really have no idea what to do about it calling your buddy Supergirl, who can just fly up and eye-zap the satellites, is too obvious an idea for nobody to even broach it.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I know "just do a crossover" can't always be the answer for a lot of reasons but I feel like when the badguy is threatening, literally, every human on Earth and you really have no idea what to do about it calling your buddy Supergirl, who can just fly up and eye-zap the satellites, is too obvious an idea for nobody to even broach it.

At the moment Supergirl is dealing with three planetary threats, so she might have a bit much on her plate.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

At the moment Supergirl is dealing with three planetary threats, so she might have a bit much on her plate.

Sure, and that would be an excellent reason for her to not help. But much like Green Arrow struggling because Ben from Lost had planted Too Many Bombs, nobody on the team bringing up the other super(s) they know as an option just seems glaring. Especially when they turn to the person they did in the most recent Flash episode (I dunno what spoiler policy is in here).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItBwgskZg70

So it looks like Jesse Quick will continue to be MIA for a while.

Also, CBS has a habit of creating trailers that reveal everything about the pilot in advance.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItBwgskZg70

So it looks like Jesse Quick will continue to be MIA for a while.

Also, CBS has a habit of creating trailers that reveal everything about the pilot in advance.

jeez. I feel like I just watched an entire season of that show at once.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So Flash finale. Am I the only one who thinks
    Nora pulled a Barry and created her own Flash Point.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

A speedster doing something idiotic with time travel and fucking up their own time line?
    Well, that's a completely unique and never before told story. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sarcasm aside, yes, that's exactly what I think happened.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think Flash (and most of the DCTV shows, actually) would do better if they didn't have a single Big Bad for the entire season. Even when they're good they can't keep it up for the entire year with some obvious wheel spinning where either the villain isn't doing anything, or the heroes are just standing around going "We need to find a way to stop Villain, what can we do?" "I dunno."

Have a villain with an 8-10 episode arc, and you can have two in a season with some one-offs thrown in.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think Flash (and most of the DCTV shows, actually) would do better if they didn't have a single Big Bad for the entire season. Even when they're good they can't keep it up for the entire year with some obvious wheel spinning where either the villain isn't doing anything, or the heroes are just standing around going "We need to find a way to stop Villain, what can we do?" "I dunno."

Have a villain with an 8-10 episode arc, and you can have two in a season with some one-offs thrown in.
    Yeah, Agents of Shield did this in S4, and it was great.

sig.gif
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Aside from season 1 they did this a few times in the past, plus some of the Netflix shows have this format.

I love this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCFBwJnKss

We need more variety in big bads then psychotic speedsters.

edited May 2018
    I'm not sure what the exact answer is, there doesn't seem to be a huge changeover of showrunners that I can see from the first season which really drew me in to the following seasons which have been varied shades of just bad. But both it and Arrow need some intervention to force showrunner change. I think Arrow has already had that, Flash is in desperate need for somebody coherent.

AlphaRomero on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018

Aside from season 1 they did this a few times in the past, plus some of the Netflix shows have this format.

I love this scene.

I really liked that scene. The way the powers are used are interesting at parts as well. He amplifies a guards scream for the sound wave attack which I thought was cool.
    Most likely. One thing I do hope for the next season is no big main bad guy and fixing a bunch of smaller problems that lead to a big disaster.

Didn't each season of Agents of Shield do a kind of 2 arc villain thing? After typing it out I definitely see they didn't do a two arc main villain thing. For the first two seasons it seems like they had to solve a macguffin and then the villain who the macguffin tied into.

I definitely wouldn't mind if Flash copied any of the Agents of Shield format. As of late Agents of Shield kept my attention way better than Flash did.

I really enjoyed the first season of Fladh, it had a lot of fun with the character and there was a main bad guy but the season was also broken up into single episode meta human villains and continued to tie into the "find the metas" plot portion.

Season 2 got grimdark and lost a lot of the fun that season 1 had which was really disappointing but I also liked it and it had some cool moments but the main focus for defeating the villain (
    gotta go faster
    ) was always the same throughout and Flash was brooding about it every episode which was tiresome because the first season was basically the same thing in that regard.We never really got a break from that main villain.

Season 3 did the exact same thing with even more annoying broodiness. The was one episode that I really enjoyed cause it was like Barey Allen from season 1 and then it was gone.

Agents of Shield quick season recaps as a kind of reference to how the seasons developed, huge spoilers.
    Season 1
    Season 1 starts off with dealing with the centipede serum and then moves into figuring out the TAHITI project which goes right into Hydra and ties the centipede serum back in.

Season 2
    Season 2 starts with the obelisk and solving that while dealing with the fall of shield and the effects of that. Then Skye becomes an inhuman and Skye's dad becomes a villain for a while as they also explore the inhumans and then Skye's mom attacks shield. I really liked the end to this season, even though Daisy's dad was pretty vicious they gave him a backstory that still made me feel bad for him.

Season 3
    Season 3 has an interesting start with Daisy fully accepting herself as an inhuman and wanting to help the new inhumans that are now appearing while protecting them from the shadowy agency trying to capture them. Grant Ward is rebuilding Hydra with his ideals. Second arcgoes into the main big villain after a Hydra history lesson and the villains wants to control all inhumans and turn everyone into an inhuman.

Season 4
    Season 3 starts with Ghost Rider and a bunch of changes to Shield. Daisy is a "criminal" as well. They have a main bad guy for this part of the reason and then it transitions with a plot point from the first part that helps build the second part of the season and the big villain.

Season 5
    This one was broken up pretty well and gave a lot of villains to contend with without giving one villain too much power. The end obviously changed that but that didn't hurt it in any significant way.

But yea, I think Flash could do with a break up of villains and plot. After season one each season felt 12 episodes too long. I think the show wouldn't have suffered from the story as much if it was half the length.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Double post

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Arrow's incoming showrunner is one of the writers that was crowing about how this season's winter finale could have been entirely about the wedding.

So, hopes aren't really high there either.

sig.gif
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

I love this scene.

I really liked that scene. The way the powers are used are interesting at parts as well. He amplifies a guards scream for the sound wave attack which I thought was cool.
    Most likely. One thing I do hope for the next season is no big main bad guy and fixing a bunch of smaller problems that lead to a big disaster.

Didn't each season of Agents of Shield do a kind of 2 arc villain thing? After typing it out I definitely see they didn't do a two arc main villain thing. For the first two seasons it seems like they had to solve a macguffin and then the villain who the macguffin tied into.

I definitely wouldn't mind if Flash copied any of the Agents of Shield format. As of late Agents of Shield kept my attention way better than Flash did.

I really enjoyed the first season of Fladh, it had a lot of fun with the character and there was a main bad guy but the season was also broken up into single episode meta human villains and continued to tie into the "find the metas" plot portion.

Season 2 got grimdark and lost a lot of the fun that season 1 had which was really disappointing but I also liked it and it had some cool moments but the main focus for defeating the villain (
    gotta go faster
    ) was always the same throughout and Flash was brooding about it every episode which was tiresome because the first season was basically the same thing in that regard.We never really got a break from that main villain.

Season 3 did the exact same thing with even more annoying broodiness. The was one episode that I really enjoyed cause it was like Barey Allen from season 1 and then it was gone.

Agents of Shield quick season recaps as a kind of reference to how the seasons developed, huge spoilers.
    Season 1
    Season 1 starts off with dealing with the centipede serum and then moves into figuring out the TAHITI project which goes right into Hydra and ties the centipede serum back in.

Season 2
    Season 2 starts with the obelisk and solving that while dealing with the fall of shield and the effects of that. Then Skye becomes an inhuman and Skye's dad becomes a villain for a while as they also explore the inhumans and then Skye's mom attacks shield. I really liked the end to this season, even though Daisy's dad was pretty vicious they gave him a backstory that still made me feel bad for him.

Season 3
    Season 3 has an interesting start with Daisy fully accepting herself as an inhuman and wanting to help the new inhumans that are now appearing while protecting them from the shadowy agency trying to capture them. Grant Ward is rebuilding Hydra with his ideals. Second arcgoes into the main big villain after a Hydra history lesson and the villains wants to control all inhumans and turn everyone into an inhuman.

Season 4
    Season 3 starts with Ghost Rider and a bunch of changes to Shield. Daisy is a "criminal" as well. They have a main bad guy for this part of the reason and then it transitions with a plot point from the first part that helps build the second part of the season and the big villain.

Season 5
    This one was broken up pretty well and gave a lot of villains to contend with without giving one villain too much power. The end obviously changed that but that didn't hurt it in any significant way.

But yea, I think Flash could do with a break up of villains and plot. After season one each season felt 12 episodes too long. I think the show wouldn't have suffered from the story as much if it was half the length.

Quick correction to AoS season 4:
    That one was broken up into 3 arcs - first Ghost Rider with the hunt for the evil magic doodad, then the LMD arc, then the fantastic framework arc.
    I think that was my favorite season of the show.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Flash season 5 trailer
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Apparently it's Cicada who's yet another effing speedster why couldn't have just been trying to Reverse-Flash Nora's situation without causing another Flashpoint?!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    Flash season 5 trailer
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Apparently it's Cicada who's yet another effing speedster why couldn't have just been trying to Reverse-Flash Nora's situation without causing another Flashpoint?!
    Cicada isn't a speedster; he absorbs energy to extend his own life artificially. Also (in the comics) wanted to resurrect his murdered wife... who he murdered... because he forgot that he did that.

Kind of the perfect dumbass villain motivation twist for The Flash, really.

sig.gif
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    About the spoiler:
    Like was said, Cicada isn't a speedster. He is a strange mix of Vandal Savage and Ra's al Ghul, where he can siphon the lifeforce out of others to extend his life. He also has mild mind control abilities.

It's an interesting choice, and as much as everyone poo poos the show and how silly and dumb it can be, it is a show that embraces the silliness and dumb things from the comics and I still adore it as much as ever. I'm really looking forward to the story of Nora and helping her fix her own flash point, because of course Barry wouldn't have ever taught her properly why messing with time is bad. :P

In the comics, Barry has been a hero for years and years, and he still messes with time and ended up accidentally erasing his entire timeline. :redface:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    The Allen family motto is "Man, that's a nice lookin' timeline you got there..."

sig.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Episode titles!
    For really real super spoilers
    1jziohisfmjv.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just caught up on that last season on netflix. I got behind around the crossover. I thought this season was really good! Really enjoyed it.

Episode titles!
    1jziohisfmjv.jpg
    Are we getting Mr.Freeze?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    You know, I got to wondering. They said it was too dangerous to move both the baby and momma at flash speed. And people always get sick aND seem shaken up after coming out if it.

How does the topping on the pizzas Barry gets stay on?

RickRude wrote: »
    You know, I got to wondering. They said it was too dangerous to move both the baby and momma at flash speed. And people always get sick aND seem shaken up after coming out if it.

He holds the pizza vertically so the g-forces push the toppings against the pizza instead of them sliding off the back as he runs.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Even the SpeedForce recognizes the need to protect the toppings on a pizza.

Episode titles!
    1jziohisfmjv.jpg
    Are we getting Mr.Freeze?
    Maybe we'll get Icicle, which would work since Captain Cold isn't a villain or even around anymore.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Season premier review:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/flash-season-5-review/#gallery-15
    lol Schway! I love it!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    They saw one episode and act like they've suddenly figured out what hasn't worked for three seasons. Needs a "This is paid advertising" at the top of it.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I'll be waiting to see how people here are enjoying the new season before deciding if I'll jump in - I think the only Arrowverse show we'll definitely be watching from the jump will be Legends.

(And if you'd told me that after Legends S1, I would not have believed you).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    McFodder wrote: »
    I'll be waiting to see how people here are enjoying the new season before deciding if I'll jump in - I think the only Arrowverse show we'll definitely be watching from the jump will be Legends.

(And if you'd told me that after Legends S1, I would not have believed you).

You don't like Supergirl or Black Lightning?

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Didn't enjoy the last season of Supergirl as much. Black Lightning we liked but since it hasn't crossed over yet it didn't come to mind as an Arrowverse show.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Beebo-verse ya'll, Beebo-verse.

(Yes also Supergirl couldn't stick the landing on her most recent season, even if the sequel hook was cool.)

sig.gif
  • RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Schway
    makes me unreasonably happy.